PDA

View Full Version : Childress is considering an offer from Greece

Bob_at_york
07-21-2008, 11:31 AM
Free agent forward Josh Childress is weighing a three-year, $20 million offer from Olympiakos, a Greek basketball team, according to an online report.

Yahoo is reporting Childress flew to Greece late on Sunday to visit with Olympiakos officials because he is "so flustered with the Hawks' refusal to make a sign-and-trade deal."

"Unless he just gets there and doesn't like it at all, I think he's going to go," a league source told Yahoo. A source also told the site that there's a "better than 50-50 chance" he'll sign with the Greek team and spurn the NBA.

I know this isn't Raptors news but I feel it should be. We still have the MLE, he wants to play in the NBA, I think he would be the perfect fit on this team. He is verstile, he is a good defender and is young enough. I can't tell from the article if he is looking for more than the MLE, he might be, that might explain it but I can't believe that no team has tried to sign him.

Link: http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=436648

bigtimerapfan
07-21-2008, 11:55 AM
not sure if i could bare seeing that ugly jump shot each game lol, but yeah your right he would be a good fit for the raptors, he has pletty of potential also.

Ragun
07-21-2008, 12:17 PM
He would be a good fit I agree but I dont think the RAptors want to go over the luxury tax threshold.

pebloemer
07-21-2008, 12:32 PM
I have liked him for a while, but the luxury tax issue is a big one. A sign and trade may be possible though. May not cost us what he is worth because Atlanta fears losing him for nothing?

Bob_at_york
07-21-2008, 01:17 PM
He would be a good fit I agree but I dont think the RAptors want to go over the luxury tax threshold.
for him I think it would be worth it. We aren't talking about going over for an end of the bench player. This guy would be a starter.

B2B
07-21-2008, 01:21 PM
I know this isn't Raptors news but I feel it should be. We still have the MLE, he wants to play in the NBA, I think he would be the perfect fit on this team. He is verstile, he is a good defender and is young enough. I can't tell from the article if he is looking for more than the MLE, he might be, that might explain it but I can't believe that no team has tried to sign him.

Ramon Nivar
07-21-2008, 03:46 PM
He's getting almost 7 million per season, getting paid in Euros and will be the star on his team; I don't blame him.

07-21-2008, 03:53 PM
who cares

argo
07-21-2008, 04:06 PM

i think he'll be looking for at least the MLE, especially if he's getting offers for 3 years at $20m, even if they are in europe.

i agree with you though, he'd be a great fit - he's smart, athletic, a good rebounder, scorer, and team guy. the hawks would probably have to do a sign and trade for us to be able to afford him.

pauljames
07-21-2008, 04:11 PM
i really like j-chill. I like how he always goes for the offensive boards.

nads83
07-21-2008, 07:06 PM
MLE is what? 5mil? hes getting 7mill overseas? not a huge difference, but what do i know. i find it hard to believe no one wants this guy. maybe its cuz hes one of those guys that dosnt stand out in any way but does everything. kinda like anthony parker. a more athletic, younger version. id love for toronto to somehow pick him up. can play the 3, 2 AND 1.
...but would again cause some issues with PT distribution

_Sn1P3r_
07-21-2008, 07:11 PM
I would love him as a Raptor. He could start the 3 and have Moon replace him. Our line-up would be very good.

nads83
07-21-2008, 07:12 PM
id start moon over childress, no question

travesy3
07-21-2008, 07:15 PM
Jose Calderon had to take a minimal pay cut just so the Raps wouldn't go over the lux tax. They will not be using the MLE this year at least.

ramz.n
07-21-2008, 07:45 PM
not sure if i could bare seeing that ugly jump shot each game lol, but yeah your right he would be a good fit for the raptors, he has pletty of potential also.

and what about Marion's..everyone wants him so bad what about his shot at almost triple the price..he would be a good fit..i believe he would be an improvement over Delfino from last year if Bc were to make a run at him

dirtybird
07-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I know this is unpopular, but I have a feeling that a year from now, we'll all be wishing that the Raptors traded Bargnani for Childress.

As far as Childress going to Europe, American born players are notoriously xenophobic, so I have a hard time picturing them willing to go to Europe. I think they would miss too much their TV shows and ESPN. That being said, Childress went to Stanford, so maybe he's alittle more open minded. My guess is that it's just a negotiating ploy because if I recall correctly, the Hawks would retain his rights indefinitely and going to Europe is his only leverage.

travesy3
07-21-2008, 08:35 PM
I know this is unpopular, but I have a feeling that a year from now, we'll all be wishing that the Raptors traded Bargnani for Childress.

As far as Childress going to Europe, American born players are notoriously xenophobic, so I have a hard time picturing them willing to go to Europe. I think they would miss too much their TV shows and ESPN. That being said, Childress went to Stanford, so maybe he's alittle more open minded. My guess is that it's just a negotiating ploy because if I recall correctly, the Hawks would retain his rights indefinitely and going to Europe is his only leverage.

Bargnani for Childress is the most ******** thing I have ever heard. If Yi Jianlian alone can fetch Richard Jefferson, Bargs and a first can easily fetch us a very very good player. That was a foolish statement, what could Childress possibly bring us that is worth a top prospect who shouldn't even be considered a bust yet. AP is the same thing Childress is.

nads83
07-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Bargnani for Childress is the most ******** thing I have ever heard. If Yi Jianlian alone can fetch Richard Jefferson, Bargs and a first can easily fetch us a very very good player. That was a foolish statement, what could Childress possibly bring us that is worth a top prospect who shouldn't even be considered a bust yet. AP is the same thing Childress is.

a younger more athletic more versatile version. not MUCH better, but better

Ramon Nivar
07-21-2008, 09:54 PM
MLE is what? 5mil? hes getting 7mill overseas? not a huge difference, but what do i know. i find it hard to believe no one wants this guy. maybe its cuz hes one of those guys that dosnt stand out in any way but does everything. kinda like anthony parker. a more athletic, younger version. id love for toronto to somehow pick him up. can play the 3, 2 AND 1.
...but would again cause some issues with PT distribution

2 million is a big difference when you're talking about a more stable and stronger currency and being in a fairly cheap cost of living area.

star
07-21-2008, 09:55 PM
Jose Calderon had to take a minimal pay cut just so the Raps wouldn't go over the lux tax. They will not be using the MLE this year at least.

i dont understand what one thing has to do with the other

nads83
07-21-2008, 10:21 PM
2 million is a big difference when you're talking about a more stable and stronger currency and being in a fairly cheap cost of living area.

i agree. but when your talking money in the millions, you can afford to live anywhere

JermanJaysFan
07-21-2008, 11:14 PM
He's getting almost 7 million per season, getting paid in Euros and will be the star on his team; I don't blame him.

Tax-free Euros, I believe.

But I would love to have him here for the MLE if MLSE is alright with exceeding the luxury tax threshold.

dirtybird
07-21-2008, 11:15 PM

If you could read between the lines, you would know that the Yi for Jefferson was not as simple as that. That move was solely to clear cap space for when Lebron (and Bosh, Wade, Amare, Carmelo, etc) became free agents.

Childress is a significantly better player than AP. While AP tries on D, Childress can actually guard the athletic wing players that typically destroy the Raptors and scores at a high percentage. IMO, the Raptors are a decent wing player away from being the #3 seed. Couple that with me doubting Bargnani's athleticism, his desire, his ability to secure rebounds, and other flaws in his game, I don't think it's very "********" (as you put it) to at least consider the merits of a deal. In the future, try to watch your language, because I'm sure there will be some people that will be offended with your choice of words.

pebloemer
07-22-2008, 09:55 AM
If you could read between the lines, you would know that the Yi for Jefferson was not as simple as that. That move was solely to clear cap space for when Lebron (and Bosh, Wade, Amare, Carmelo, etc) became free agents.

Childress is a significantly better player than AP. While AP tries on D, Childress can actually guard the athletic wing players that typically destroy the Raptors and scores at a high percentage. IMO, the Raptors are a decent wing player away from being the #3 seed. Couple that with me doubting Bargnani's athleticism, his desire, his ability to secure rebounds, and other flaws in his game, I don't think it's very "********" (as you put it) to at least consider the merits of a deal. In the future, try to watch your language, because I'm sure there will be some people that will be offended with your choice of words.

Childress for Bargs would be an interesting proposition. My hesitance would be what we have behind Bosh and Oneal - I am not sure Hump or Jawai could be a good first big man off the bench and I don't know what other free agents out there could fill that hole for cheap. I woul dlove Childress at the wing though. Calderon, Parker, Childress, Bosh, Oneal would be a fantastic starting 5 on paper.

travesy3
07-22-2008, 01:23 PM

You deff just pwned me lol.....I guess that was a bit out of line the way I went about it, regardless, I feel that there are more players that could be had for the same value of Richard Jefferson, rather than Childress who I don't believe is as much better as Anthony Parker as you make it appear, AP is one of the best percentage 3 point shooters in the league not to mention he is a solid defender. The Raps are one wing player who can create his own shot(Not Childress) away from that 3rd seed. Childress isn't the answer IMO, now, Vince Carter, that is what I would love to see =]

pebloemer
07-22-2008, 02:44 PM
I don't think Childress has gotten enough exposure playing behind Smith, Williams and Johnson in Atlanta for people to see everything he does. Reasons why he is a better option than Parker.

A: Childress is younger and still improving
B: Childress can slash through the lane
C: Childress has awesome hair
D: Childress is a better rebounder

Parker is better at these aspects:

A: Veteran leadership
B: Fade Away jumper off screens
C: Shooting PCT.

The proposed trade would have both as our wing men, but there is my comparison.