PDA

View Full Version : Josh Childress weighing offer from Olympiakos

phlp_bj
07-21-2008, 08:06 AM
LAS VEGAS – In a potentially stunning move that reflects the growing challenge Europe’s basketball leagues pose to the NBA, Atlanta Hawks free-agent forward Josh Childress is strongly considering a three-year, $20 million offer from Greek powerhouse Olympiakos, several league sources said Sunday night.

Childress flew to Greece late Sunday and is scheduled to meet with Olympiakos officials on Monday. Childress, 25, is so flustered with the Hawks’ refusal to make a sign-and-trade deal to another team, one source familiar with his thinking believes there’s “better than a 50-50 chance” he’ll sign with Olympiakos.

“Unless he just gets there and doesn’t like it at all, I think he’s going to go,” one league source said

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=aw-childressgreece072108&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

SeoulBeatz
07-21-2008, 08:21 AM
wow, very surprisng... and rare, for good NBA player to go overseas... good for him, he'll be a pioneer if he follows through

DenButsu
07-21-2008, 08:44 AM
That's pretty good money for him. I don't know much at all about the European basketball scene, but it does look like if teams can offer that kind of dough, they may actually start driving up NBA salaries even beyond the already ridiculous level they're at.

Hellcrooner
07-21-2008, 11:27 AM
This is a signal of attention for David Stern, the current salary cap is RIDICULOUS specially since the wolrd is on crisis and with high rates of inflation.

if he does not inmediatley DOUBLE the cap teams will start to ahve some trouble with EUROPEAN offers.

Of course the KObes KGs and DUncans will remain because nowdays eurloeague does not create enough income to offer 20 millions a year for a player.

But if childress does take this step many of the european STARTERS in the Nba may consider a comeback money Wise, and some American starters who feel underpaid may start migrating too.

And of course the rookie scale shoudl eb removed because take for example thsi eyars draft, Rose had to sign a 2 dollars million contract, what if Panathinaikos offered him 5 million EUROS ....

Top 10 picks may anyway go on to be on the nba but think about this scenario you are pick 20 , you got chosen by the Suns, there are already 3 good players for your position, basing on rooki scale they cant offer you more than 200000 dollars , adn then someone in europe offers yu to be the STAR of their project and 1 million EUROS a year....

Beter Wise up STern.

KmB728
07-21-2008, 11:39 AM
Well, idk if he would make that kind of cash over here, so good for him. Sadley i think more players will follow

07-21-2008, 11:48 AM
The same thing is happening to Boki Nachbar of the Nets, and Garbajosa of the Raps, Navarro of the Grizz. If foreign teams want to overpay for bench players, thats great. I don't really care---nor should we. Its just a testament to the talent level of the NBA.

Childress IMO is worth about 7-8 million per year. He should have gotten a full MLE offer from ATL already. Its not the NBAs fault, or David Stern's fault. Just the Hawks' cheap management.

Raising the salary cap is NOT the answer. We have the reputation of being the best league in the world, and the best place to live...everyone knows that. Raising the cap would just make the cost of NBA entertainment more expensive for the fans.

Stern should just work to continue to make the NBA the most marketable team in the world...thats all.

I could see this effecting the foreign-born players a lot more and there COULD be a potential return of many of these players, especially the veterans. So what??? We were taking their best players for past several years. So what if they take some of them back.

Basically I'm saying don't worry about it...

BALLER71
07-21-2008, 12:01 PM
As I type this I just saw that Boki Nachbar signed with a russian team.
Childress should do the smart thing and go overseas and get his money.

MiamiHeat
07-21-2008, 12:06 PM
he should go over there, he will be a star there :D

PhillyBoomerang
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM
Surprising.. He is restricted right? or does not apply because he is leaving the NBA.. if thats where he can get his money, i would do it!

MassoDio
07-21-2008, 12:12 PM
I like Josh Childress. I like his game. He should go get his money. It won't affect the NBA for a bench player to go get paid more than he deserves in europe.

king4day
07-21-2008, 12:15 PM
The same thing is happening to Boki Nachbar of the Nets, and Garbajosa of the Raps, Navarro of the Grizz. If foreign teams want to overpay for bench players, thats great. I don't really care---nor should we. Its just a testament to the talent level of the NBA.

Childress IMO is worth about 7-8 million per year. He should have gotten a full MLE offer from ATL already. Its not the NBAs fault, or David Stern's fault. Just the Hawks' cheap management.

Raising the salary cap is NOT the answer. We have the reputation of being the best league in the world, and the best place to live...everyone knows that. Raising the cap would just make the cost of NBA entertainment more expensive for the fans.

Stern should just work to continue to make the NBA the most marketable team in the world...thats all.

I could see this effecting the foreign-born players a lot more and there COULD be a potential return of many of these players, especially the veterans. So what??? We were taking their best players for past several years. So what if they take some of them back.

I have nothing to add to this but nice argument.

pebloemer
07-21-2008, 12:15 PM
Surprising.. He is restricted right? or does not apply because he is leaving the NBA.. if thats where he can get his money, i would do it!

He is restricted, but he is allowed to sign over seas. If he ever wants to come back to the NBA, Atlanta maintains his rights. It happened with Delfino as well.

pebloemer
07-21-2008, 12:19 PM

Best league in the world for sure, but best place to live? That is as subjective a statement as you can get. I assume you are talking about the States, if you were talking about Canada you would be closer to the world wide census on best countries to live, but last time I checked wasn't it Sweden or some other Scandanavian country the best place to live? I hear it is quite nice to live in most of Europe actually.

In regards to the rest of your argument and your assessment of the situation, I absolutely agree.

Anon
07-21-2008, 12:56 PM
Anyplace is a nice place to live if you are making $20 million over 3 years.

DQL
07-21-2008, 01:01 PM
damn I can't believe an European team can offer that amount. The US dollar is very weak now

Mile High Champ
07-21-2008, 01:13 PM
This is a signal of attention for David Stern, the current salary cap is RIDICULOUS specially since the wolrd is on crisis and with high rates of inflation.

if he does not inmediatley DOUBLE the cap teams will start to ahve some trouble with EUROPEAN offers.

Of course the KObes KGs and DUncans will remain because nowdays eurloeague does not create enough income to offer 20 millions a year for a player.

But if childress does take this step many of the european STARTERS in the Nba may consider a comeback money Wise, and some American starters who feel underpaid may start migrating too.

And of course the rookie scale shoudl eb removed because take for example thsi eyars draft, Rose had to sign a 2 dollars million contract, what if Panathinaikos offered him 5 million EUROS ....

Top 10 picks may anyway go on to be on the nba but think about this scenario you are pick 20 , you got chosen by the Suns, there are already 3 good players for your position, basing on rooki scale they cant offer you more than 200000 dollars , adn then someone in europe offers yu to be the STAR of their project and 1 million EUROS a year....

Beter Wise up STern.

I agree it is a cause for concern but I dont think the answer is to double the cap. I am also very against your idea of paying rookies more. The last thing the nba needs is the BS that occurs in the nfl when rookies get more than 30 million in guranteed money before they even take a down in the nfl. The current rookie payrool system is just fine. Those rookies should have to earn their paycheck, not be given it outright.

superkegger
07-21-2008, 01:49 PM

Doesn't matter, if he decides to come back to the NBA he is still a restricted FA for the hawks. And I'm not suprised by this. This is the problem with Restricted FA's. Few teams are willing to offer them an offer sheet because there is a small chance they will get them. And with the US dollar so weak, and no taxes in europe, 20 million euro is like 31 million USD.
Though i think it might also be a leveraging move by childress. Because he's fed up with the Hawks not offering him anything. A lot of role guys are going to europe because the money is so great. It will be interesting to see.

lavis
07-21-2008, 02:01 PM
If I was him, I'd do it.

Hellcrooner
07-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Better place to live? it depends on who you are or your personal choice, there are people that are happy in a farm deep inside a distant forest, and there is people that needs to hear polica cars and ambulances at night...

Anyway, you cant generalize, its not the same to live in Sunny L.A or in Aristocratic Boston than live in Minneapolis or in Oklahoma.

and as far as living in Europe i can guarantee you that there is a lot of difference in living in Madrid, barcelona, Rome, London or paris than living in Leverkusen or Kiev...

Hellcrooner
07-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Wich leads me to a curious tought..... Which city preffers CHARLIE BELL, his actual Milwaukee or my parents land in Spain, LUGO where he playedright befor coming back to the NBA , its a small 80000 inhabitants city in the northwest of spain, very quiet ( you can go out of home and leave the door open) and has a lot of ROman arquitecture and monuments, like the oldst ROman Wall standing complete....

Falconmaniac
07-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Is it about the money or something else ? Is it better to be a big fish in a little pond ? or a little fish in a big pond ? What of the chemistry that was built on a team that hasnot seen the playoffs ina minute ?Obviously, no HAWKS fans here.You always need leverage to negotiate.Josh has his and I hope he gets a good contract and returns to his team,my team,our team.One big man and outside shooter away from something big.Watchout NBA

J-Relo
07-21-2008, 02:41 PM
interesting, I would beloughing if one of the 2010 FA Stars would go to overseas :D

chicagowhitesox
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Hopefully this doesn't become a trend. I don't want to see talented young American players going overseas. But the way the world is catching up in talent, and the huge contracts they're offering, it seems likely.

FOBolous
07-21-2008, 03:32 PM
maybe a little competition for the NBA will make the NBA clean up the games a little and make referreing a little bid more fair. go euroleage!

astrosmaniac
07-21-2008, 03:57 PM

Beter Wise up STern.

The Rookie Scale is the best thing about the draft. No Holdout, No huge insane deals where rookies get paid more than all stars. Football needs to get a rookie scale and so should baseball (i realize that baseball has a recomended salary scale, but then need one like the NBA)

SwaggaIke
07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
Man this **** is crazy. The NBA is about to lose one of its best 6th men. Hopefully he gets a buyout clause so he can come back next summer or summer '10. I think the players overseas are very talented, but the NBA is the best league...and that is where he needs to be.

Rockets Fanatic
07-21-2008, 05:29 PM
I think Atlanta is going to be screwed next year, I think Josh will leave

superkegger
07-21-2008, 05:30 PM
The Rookie Scale is the best thing about the draft. No Holdout, No huge insane deals where rookies get paid more than all stars. Football needs to get a rookie scale and so should baseball (i realize that baseball has a recomended salary scale, but then need one like the NBA)

couldn't agree more. The way the NFL does it is absolutely ********. granted those guys go through more of a proving ground in college, but still. giving those guys 30mil in gaurunteed is insane. the rookie pay scale isn't whats wrong, its restricted free agency.

greek miami hea
07-21-2008, 05:48 PM
wow!me as an olympiakos fan here in greece im so happy were landing him!oh,we are going to win everything here in europe.oh.and for those who dont know what european basketball looks alike let me give u a taste:

greek miami hea
07-21-2008, 05:58 PM
european bball:1hardcore defense 2passing game 3 offense.i love nba.i thinks that its the most spectacular league in the earth.but the european bball is equal to the nba.
offense=nba
defense=eur
passes=both
strategy=both
skills=both
passion=both
miami heat and olympiakos 4 life:clap:

durqtitan
07-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Wow... good for him. I would take it too, but i hate to see a solid nba player leaving. The nba has to do something to make sure we can afford to keep our guys from jumping ship

arlubas
07-21-2008, 06:29 PM
Woo hoo, I am a fan of this team's rival but hell yeah I'll go to watch Josh play live every week! Even though I still can't understand why he would want to come here I would love to watch one of my fave players since college play live.

_Sn1P3r_
07-21-2008, 06:38 PM
If I were Josh, I'd go there, improve and become a star, and come back to US worth more money.

greg_ory_2005
07-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Wow, that's some big money for him. I'd go there if I was him.

IndiansFan337
07-21-2008, 07:47 PM
He's bluffing, he isn't going anywhere. Varejao & Pavlovic said the same thing last year -- except, they are foreign! -- yet, they still came back to play in the NBA. The NBA is where the players want to be, yes even the foreign players. Childress knows that the Hawks will still retain his rights even if he does go to Olympiakos. So what sense would it make to go there for 1-3 years & then try to return to the NBA? The Hawks would still match any offer sheet to retain him. :confused:

arlubas
07-22-2008, 03:10 AM
He's bluffing, he isn't going anywhere. Varejao & Pavlovic said the same thing last year -- except, they are foreign! -- yet, they still came back to play in the NBA. The NBA is where the players want to be, yes even the foreign players. Childress knows that the Hawks will still retain his rights even if he does go to Olympiakos. So what sense would it make to go there for 1-3 years & then try to return to the NBA? The Hawks would still match any offer sheet to retain him. :confused:

Not really. Next summer Josh will be an unrestricted free agent so he's free to go wherever he wants to in the NBA.

Oh and as for him bluffing, latest reports here suggests that he brought with him 20 suitcases so it looks pretty certain that he's staying with the announcement coming in the next couple of days possibly. It looks like this will go down.

Olympiakos71
07-23-2008, 10:23 AM
I have nothing to add to this but nice argument.

Hello guys,
Actually I'm a Olympiako's fan and an hour ago Josh Childress sign a new 3 years deal with our team!!

About your previous comment now....
I dont believe that the the different between nba and european league is so major and huge as it was a decade or so!!
The only thing is the length of the nba league and the number of games into the season!!
The stake now in europe is very high and the salary that any team managment could spent are very high!!
At states the philosophy of basketball is arround marketing and entertainment instead of europe.
You can get the whole picture, when "dream team" playing in Olympic games or in world championship, and deafeted by other european teams!!
Thats my oppinion!!
Be good and have fun!!

greek miami hea
07-23-2008, 10:40 AM
damn I can't believe an European team can offer that amount. The US dollar is very weak now

u have no idea how rich olympiakos owners are!!!!!miami heat will be back!!!!olympiakos=champion of greece and euroleugue!!!!!ole!!!:clap::clap:

greek miami hea
07-23-2008, 10:42 AM
Hello guys,
Actually I'm a Olympiako's fan and an hour ago Josh Childress sign a new 3 years deal with our team!!

About your previous comment now....
I dont believe that the the different between nba and european league is so major and huge as it was a decade or so!!
The only thing is the length of the nba league and the number of games into the season!!
The stake now in europe is very high and the salary that any team managment could spent are very high!!
At states the philosophy of basketball is arround marketing and entertainment instead of europe.
You can get the whole picture, when "dream team" playing in Olympic games or in world championship, and deafeted by other european teams!!
Thats my oppinion!!
Be good and have fun!!

geia!!!!!!!!first of all welcome!!!!!its nice to see other greeks here too!!secondly olympakos will kick panathinaikos ***!!!:D:D:D:D:):):clap::clap::eyebrow::eyebrow::r olleyes::cool::speechless:

greek miami hea
07-23-2008, 10:43 AM
dream team=offense.greece and spain=defense.defense wins games.but hell yea.drean tean greece spain and argetina are the best teams in the olympic games.