PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix Suns near deal with Matt Barnes

JordansBulls
07-21-2008, 07:35 AM
Source: AZCentral (http://www.azcentral.com/sports/suns/articles/2008/07/20/20080720barnes.html)

Free-agent forward Matt Barnes is scheduled to arrive in Phoenix Monday, expecting to sign a one-year veteran's minimum deal with the Suns after completing a physical.

Barnes, 28, spent the past two seasons in a mostly reserve role with the Golden State Warriors. He collected a career-best 9.8 points and 4.6 rebounds in the 2006-07 season. Last season, he averaged 6.7 points and 4.4 rebounds in 19.4 minutes per game.

General Manager Steve Kerr and coach Terry Porter talked with Barnes by phone last week from Las Vegas, where the Suns were in NBA Summer League action. The team likes his shooting touch, ball-handling and big-game experience.
In his seventh NBA season, Barnes is expected to make $1.2 million, but the Suns will pay only $797,000. The rest will come from a league fund.

lavis
07-21-2008, 08:02 AM
Great signing. We've talked about this already in the Suns forum and fans are very happy with this.

king4day
07-21-2008, 08:55 AM
A steal IMO.
Since we gave him the vets min, how hasn't any other team come forward to him with that.

x_notorious
07-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Wow, they got him for cheap. Not a bad signing at all, a pretty good one in fact.

A solid defender + shooter.

AirJordanXVIII
07-21-2008, 09:53 AM
Greaet for the umtempo Suns.

JordansBulls
07-21-2008, 11:21 AM
I think they should start him at SF.

thephoenixson28
07-21-2008, 11:45 AM
After a slow start at free agency kerr finally pull through and got one of the good free agents

JordansBulls
07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
After a slow start at free agency kerr finally pull through and got one of the good free agents

Will he pursue anyone else?

Conor
07-21-2008, 01:57 PM
I think they should start him at SF.

Barnes is a good chemistry and energy guy....but in no way good enough to start, let alone on a playoff team. He played well in the 06-07 season and playoffs, but besides that, has been mediocre his entire career. He's a great signing though, if only for the spark he'll bring the team on and off the bench.

Reezy
07-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Wow, is Golden State even going to be half as good as the years prior?

Conor
07-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Wow, is Golden State even going to be half as good as the years prior?

Barnes hardly even made an impact on the court for us....

sacgiants1213
07-21-2008, 03:13 PM
i think matt barnes is just another nellie product....he had a lot of freedom in golden state, opposed to sac or philly.

TheNewbster
07-21-2008, 04:16 PM
A steal IMO.
Since we gave him the vets min, how hasn't any other team come forward to him with that.

Cause the Suns are going to make him a heavily used player that could even see minutes as a starter. Best part is that the Suns are a high tempo offense like the Warriors, that essentially made Barnes notable as he is for being a pretty good player. While I enjoyed watching play at UCLA, I really wanted to see if he could thrive outside a Warrior-type offense. But with the Suns, he'll pretty much be in a ditto system. The deal essentially just lets him try and boost his numbers for next year in hopes of a better contract later.

argo
07-21-2008, 04:21 PM
great fit for barnes and phoenix.. hill was gimpy and disappeared in the playoffs- he'd probably serve better with limited minutes off the bench.

theimortalone
07-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Hell yeah I am so excited about this pick up!!! It was awesome! Either way off the bench, or starting he will be a big presence in the valley of the Sun! I cant wait for this up and coming season. I say Barnes Startes and G.Hill comes off the bench!

_Sn1P3r_
07-21-2008, 06:44 PM
Great pick-up. Can fit into the up-tempo offense and can play D.

PhxGiant
07-21-2008, 06:53 PM
Will he pursue anyone else?

Yeah, we need to add a backup PG whether it be through free agency or by trade. Then Brian Skinner will probably be resigned.

TheBatchelor213
07-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Matt Barnes could possibly be the cheap mans Joe Johnson for the Suns of years prior. Really nice pick up that imo validates the Suns in the top tier of the Western Conference.

myspace.com/thebatchelorspe

IndiansFan337
07-21-2008, 07:54 PM
This is a great signing for the Suns, who still need to sign at least 2 players to get to the league minimum of 13 players signed.

This could prove to be a steal. He will get some open 3's with Amare & Shaq in the post.

ink
07-21-2008, 08:16 PM
The more I think about this one, the more I love it.

Beno7500
07-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Suns are going nowhere

#1Mavericksfan
07-21-2008, 08:59 PM
Matt Barnes is gonna be sitting right at the end of the Suns bench, he got hot in that playoff series vs. the Mavs but didn't do anything else after that, also Don Nelson can make any play look good with the style of basketball he plays...Matt Barnes is just going to warm up the bench with the Suns.

STAT32
07-21-2008, 09:58 PM
^^^ Coming from a mavericks fan who watches the GSW soooo much huh?

I'll take 10 and 5 off the bench for the vet min any day bud.

And beno7500 is it possible for you to post anything that wouldn't be considered baiting or rude?

durqtitan
07-21-2008, 10:21 PM
I think this is best for Barnes. He will be in top form with the Suns. He can just run and score all day if the Suns can keep the tempo of past years with the age of the current squad

Fireworld
07-21-2008, 10:24 PM
PHX forum please. Good for them though..

daleja424
07-21-2008, 10:26 PM
who cares:confused::confused::confused: why is this in the nba forum. Its not like this affects anyone...including Phoenix

#1Mavericksfan
07-21-2008, 10:38 PM
^^^ Coming from a mavericks fan who watches the GSW soooo much huh?

I'll take 10 and 5 off the bench for the vet min any day bud.

And beno7500 is it possible for you to post anything that wouldn't be considered baiting or rude?

I saw lot of Matt Barnes then you might have...your sitting up hear acting like Matt Barnes is an All-Star, show me some stats form the 07-08 season that stand out...the last time I checked he didn't do anything this past season like he did vs. the Mavs, Barnes is not gonna sneak up on anybody else anymore that's for sure.

STAT32
07-21-2008, 11:00 PM
^^^ First of all show me one post where I myself said Matt Barnes was an all-star.

Your right though you may have seen more of Barnes than me considering you had to sit there and watch him torch your team night in and night out during one of the biggest upsets in NBA history.

So yea your right you probably have seen more of Matt Barnes than I have.

KB24PG16
07-21-2008, 11:13 PM
good pickup

#1Mavericksfan
07-21-2008, 11:15 PM
^^^ First of all show me one post where I myself said Matt Barnes was an all-star.

Your right though you may have seen more of Barnes than me considering you had to sit there and watch him torch your team night in and night out during one of the biggest upsets in NBA history.

So yea your right you probably have seen more of Matt Barnes than I have.

:laugh2: yea but but how many points did he in each game vs. the mavs this past season?...what did he do in that Jazz series since you wonna bring up old playoff games?...all your doing is making Matt Barnes something that he is not...do you really think he is good enuff to get more playing time over Leandro Barbosa and Grant Hill?...bottom line is...Barnes is overrated and is not gonna play like he did in the 2007 playoffs so you can go ahead a talk about old playoff series or whatever you like because it reall doesn't even matter.

STAT32
07-21-2008, 11:22 PM
How am I making Matt Barnes something he is not. Let me tell you what I expect of Matt Barnes ok?

I expect energy, defense (he's a good defender, there's no denying that), and 12 pts a game plus 4 rebounds. That's what I expect out of him.

Barnes had a bad year last year because Nelly began to favor Monta Ellis and even Kelenna over Barnes. I'm not expecting Barnes to break out and become an all-star, however I am expecting him to play solid basketball for 20 minutes a night.

And your argument of whether or not Barnes is good enough to take minutes from Grant or Barbs yes he is good enough. Grant's minutes need to be cut regardless. Not to mention Leandro and Barnes don't even play the same position.

You need to chill, and if you think that Barnes won't do anything for us this year then you are kidding yourself big time.