PDA

View Full Version : My NBA Lottery Conspiracy.

Shieldsz
07-21-2008, 04:08 AM
Alright, just listen up guys.. I may sound crazy but hell, i have been thinking this for a while.

Alright, whether or not you believe it teams TANK in order to make a run at the top pick.. its just a fact. Boston did it 2 years ago, and teams did it this year as well.. I think in order to try to PREVENT tanking, the NBA gives a VERY unexpected team the 1st. This shows that you don't need to be the worst. Blazers did it 2 years ago and the Bulls did it this year.. the odds were REALLY against them. The NBA could possibly try to prove a point by saying.. look they won it and they weren't the worse in order to prevent future tankers.

Don't bash me, im tired and its not OUTRAGEOUS

sixersfan
07-21-2008, 04:21 AM
get some sleep

blackjack_119
07-21-2008, 05:14 AM
It's kind of outrageous. Assume your conspiracy is true and put yourself in the seat of the commissioner. You have a system in place where you can give the number one pick to any team you want and no one can prove it because you have ping pong balls, a vacuum and security. Your main goal is to reward the teams that don't intentionally tank and punish those that do... Why would you pick teams with extremely low chances of winning which causes public outcry for a reverse record draft order? Why not chose the team with the worst record that "tried"? Why would you punish them?

KB24PG16
07-21-2008, 05:18 AM
and thats how the knicks got the 1st pick in the 85 draft the commissionr did it ;)

jmaest
07-21-2008, 06:41 AM
and thats how the knicks got the 1st pick in the 85 draft the commissionr did it ;)

Well he was a Knicks fan growing up and many think that he still is sooooo...

phlp_bj
07-21-2008, 08:05 AM
there had to be something going on in the ewing draft.(bent corner)

RapsFan4Life
07-21-2008, 08:35 AM
I disagree with you only because a coach who usually gets fired along with the GM if your team is 30th .... is an embaressment, i mean how crappy are you as a team regardless of injury to be LAST like you gotta suck, and teams wont purposly lose to get a draft pick, if you are 26-28 you are still going to get a sick player

fairandbalanced
07-21-2008, 08:45 AM
The Heat did not tank......They only added 3 starters from the D-League, and Earl Barron/Cris Quin were co-captains.

Vegasguy80
07-21-2008, 09:01 AM
Warning: Don't make threads when you are tired. Conspiracy Theorist cause problems that aren't there!

MoBASS
07-21-2008, 11:53 AM
What I don't understand is why do they need to run the ping pong balls in some shady back room?

Why not draw them out on live TV to eliminate all the conspiracy theories? We need more transparency in the NBA.

arkanian215
07-21-2008, 11:54 AM
Alright, just listen up guys.. I may sound crazy but hell, i have been thinking this for a while.

Alright, whether or not you believe it teams TANK in order to make a run at the top pick.. its just a fact. Boston did it 2 years ago, and teams did it this year as well.. I think in order to try to PREVENT tanking, the NBA gives a VERY unexpected team the 1st. This shows that you don't need to be the worst. Blazers did it 2 years ago and the Bulls did it this year.. the odds were REALLY against them. The NBA could possibly try to prove a point by saying.. look they won it and they weren't the worse in order to prevent future tankers.

honestly i believe something is up but i dont think it's to prevent teams from tanking, even though that could be a result from the lotteries. anyway only when they do the lottery online, then i wouldnt be so skeptical. they could use espn's draft machine. i dont care. it's definitely more legit than anything nba has done.
watch next year the knicks get the first pick.

BADizzleBoY
07-21-2008, 11:55 AM

sorry shieldsz.... it outrageous.

MassoDio
07-21-2008, 12:10 PM
You do realize that there is a representative from each lottery team in the room while the ping pong balls are being drawn right? Don't you think if there was some conspiracy, that someone from one of the teams in the past, how ever many years the lottery has been in affect, would have said something by now?

Giaps
07-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Stop talking about the Knicks and crazy conspiracies. If Stern loved the Knicks so much we would have been at least top 3 this year but it didn't happen. Next topic.

lukeem21
07-21-2008, 12:34 PM
not as crazy draft conspiracy = stern hates the raptors

the year toronto is introduced to the nba he puts on a restriction to prevent expansion teams from getting a top pick for their first 5 years or something

this came a long with a lower salary cap then the rest of the nba

then when the raptors are struggling and get a top pick he introduces the no more highschool players preventing the raps from being able to take either Greg Oden or Kevin Durrant... they instead drafted Andrea Bargnani first overall

MoBASS
07-21-2008, 01:21 PM
You do realize that there is a representative from each lottery team in the room while the ping pong balls are being drawn right? Don't you think if there was some conspiracy, that someone from one of the teams in the past, how ever many years the lottery has been in affect, would have said something by now?

Bro there's no one in that room outside of Stern and a honcho at Ernst & Young. You think D'Antoni would have had that classic "**** this" expression on his face if he knew beforehand that he was gonna pick #6?

ee
07-21-2008, 01:25 PM

Don't bash me, im tired and its not OUTRAGEOUSCharlotte went up from 8th to 9th, bulls automatically falls to top 3 and everyone else move down a spot unless another shift happens......It's not a conspiracy......If the Bulls went from 9th to 10th, then NJ falls to top 3.....That's the fun of the lottery, if it's just done the way it's projected, then there's really no point of watching it.....

And you're right, the main point of the lottery is for teams to stop tanking, that's the main point is for the worst team to not be the sure thing.....

Shieldsz
07-21-2008, 01:29 PM
How can it be outragoues.

The last 2 years the bulls and blazers had around 1 PERCENT to get the 1st pick. I find that more than fishy...

ee
07-21-2008, 01:31 PM
How can it be outragoues.

The last 2 years the bulls and blazers had around 1 PERCENT to get the 1st pick. I find that more than fishy...

Like I said, even if your projected 13th with .0111 percent chance.....If the 12th pick shifts up to 13th, that 13th pick goes way down to top 3 then the projected 3rd, shifts up to 4th, the projected 4th shifts up to 5th and so on unless another change happens......It's called luck not conspiracy....All it takes is for one change to happen, one change changes everyones position....

MassoDio
07-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Bro there's no one in that room outside of Stern and a honcho at Ernst & Young. You think D'Antoni would have had that classic "**** this" expression on his face if he knew beforehand that he was gonna pick #6?

The drawing of the ping-pong balls is conducted in private, though observed by independent auditors and representatives from each team. The results are subsequently presented in a short ceremony (typically broadcast prior to or during halftime of an NBA playoff game), in which the order of the lottery is announced in reverse order, from the fourteenth selection to the first. Representatives from each NBA franchise with a lottery pick are present at the lottery ceremony.

The decision of not showing the ping-pong balls live has fueled speculation that the NBA will occasionally fix the Draft Lottery if it can benefit the league. The root of this speculation is the 1985 Draft Lottery that sent Patrick Ewing to New York. The theory being that the NBA wanted to send the best player in the draft to New York to increase ratings in a large television market. At that time the NBA used 7 envelopes in a tumbler representing the seven teams with the worst record. When the envelopes were added to the tumbler, one envelope was put in forcibly, and banged against the edge, while all the rest were set in gently. The first envelope drawn was the 1st pick, and it went onwards upto the 7th pick. David Stern went right for the envelope with the bent corner, which upon opening the envelope, it was revealed that the New York Knicks logo was inside, fueling speculation of a draft fix ever since. Afterwards the Draft Lottery Format was changed to the current ping-pong ball lottery in a private room with team representatives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Draft_Lottery

The actual Lottery procedure will take place in a separate room prior to the national broadcast with NBA officials and representatives of the participating teams and the accounting firm of Ernst & Young in attendance.

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba_draft_lottery.shtml

The drawing of the ping pong balls is done privately with private auditors and a representative for each of the lottery teams. The lottery draft order is then announced to a national television audience.

http://probasketball.about.com/od/nbadraft/a/nbadraftlottery.htm

I only put multiple links because a lot of people don't look at wikipedia as reliable.