PDA

View Full Version : This may be a stupid question, but...

rico
07-21-2008, 03:19 AM
During the signing periods in the NBA is there a rule against signing just some nobody or foreign person?

Like say whatever team signed someone from the AND 1 or some kinda good street baller. Can they just do that?

Or sign someone from over seas that is pretty much a nobody?

Secondly. IF SO has this ever been done? Links? Players? Etc..

Wait... Jamario Moon was a globtrotter right? Then got signed? Or did he end up just going to college late then being drafted from that?

07-21-2008, 03:48 AM
i dont relly noe...n who cares...as long as they r in NBA...its good for our viewing pleasure..gota agree with u on this one relly stupid question...no offence

Shieldsz
07-21-2008, 04:02 AM
I actually thought of this the other day.

Does a player HAVE to declare for the draft before entering the NBA.. i believe so. Because if this wasnt the case then the number 1 pick would not declare for the draft and sign forwhatever team he wanted..

KB24PG16
07-21-2008, 05:11 AM
I actually thought of this the other day.

Does a player HAVE to declare for the draft before entering the NBA.. i believe so. Because if this wasnt the case then the number 1 pick would not declare for the draft and sign forwhatever team he wanted..

exactly:clap:

kingkobe
07-21-2008, 09:48 AM
i think its like if you are under 25 you have to declare for draft before you can sign a contract.

rico
07-21-2008, 09:54 AM
But what if you didnt go to a college or anything and its AFTER the draft... can a team just sign someone thats never been in the NBA before just because they have skills or didnt attend a college or anything like that?

Like last year i forget who it was but some player came out of retirement pretty much to get paid and not even suit up just for some trade to go through or something like that, but he played in the nba before..

i wanna know about some nobody.

dre1990
07-21-2008, 10:41 AM
??

king4day
07-21-2008, 10:45 AM
i dont relly noe...n who cares...as long as they r in NBA...its good for our viewing pleasure..gota agree with u on this one relly stupid question...no offence

I disagree.
I'd be curious to know the rules when it comes to how a team can just pick someone up.
I know Summer Leaguers are invites and draftees. D-leaguers can be anyone off the street who pays the 500 dollar posting fee. They get to display their stuff and if they impress, then they'll get signed.
I'm sure anyone off the street can get signed, but not sure if it has happened. Doubt it.

king4day
07-21-2008, 10:48 AM
But what if you didnt go to a college or anything and its AFTER the draft... can a team just sign someone thats never been in the NBA before just because they have skills or didnt attend a college or anything like that?

Like last year i forget who it was but some player came out of retirement pretty much to get paid and not even suit up just for some trade to go through or something like that, but he played in the nba before..

i wanna know about some nobody.

Keith Van Horn.
While he never woulda earned that money if he returned naturally, in his prime he was a good player and high draft pick. He helped the Nets and Mavs get to the finals too.
No team would ever sign some random person off the street to that deal just to make a trade happen.
They'd sign a big name, even if they were past their prime, so they may be able to sell some merch of theirs.