PDA

View Full Version : Is Anthony Randolph the next KG?

garlicboy
07-20-2008, 05:09 PM
He just turned 19, is still growing and right now can play Point Guard, Shooting Guard, Small Forward and Power Forward. These are just the physicals. In 2-3 years this guy may be 7' and 220, with handles and a shot.

What about his abilities?

BALLHANDLING: The guy regularly goes coast to coast, and he played PG last game. His ball handling is great for his age and size, but can improve.
SHOOTING: first game of the VSL his jumper was on he shot 12-16 I beleive. Last game 16-18 from the free throw line. He doesn't have a 3 pt shot, but that will come in time.
PASSING: He guns and dominates the ball, but he has shown the ability to find guys. Leading the break his DECISION MAKING looks good. I like the no-look to DeMarcus Nelson while leading the break.
REBOUNDING: He averaged 7.8 boards in VSL while playing on the wing. Does a great job of following his shot.
MOVEMENT WITHOUT THE BALL: Does a great job with the pick and roll and moving without the ball.
DEFENSE: He has to get back on defense, had a few too many fouls, but his lateral quickness is superb. He can stay with guys. He's also very active blocking shots.
POST GAME: Stayed away from the post game, although he had a nifty up and under move against Thaddeus young the first game.

What about his intangibles?
TOUGHNESS: Well you don't go to the line 18 times unless your willing to take some punishment. He attacked the rim with reckless abandon.
WORK ETHIC: Yet to be determined, we hope he's a gym rat, but on the floor he works hard. Nothing bad said about him.
LEADERSHIP: Yet to be determined, he just turned 19. But he plays and walks with an air of confidence.

I postthis to spark discussion. Like Garnett, he's long, tall and skilled. Like Garnett, Randolph entered the league at age 19, but did so a few months younger than KG.
ed
Garnetts rookie stats:
10 pts, 6 boards, 1.6 blocks, 1.8 assists.
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/kevin_garnett/career_stats.html

It will be interesting to see if Randolph can do the same.

Rhyming Rebel
07-20-2008, 05:11 PM
He's a nice player, but KG maybe thats stretching it

garlicboy
07-20-2008, 05:24 PM
He's a nice player, but KG maybe thats stretching it

The comparison's are premature, but you wouldn't be wrong to say that Randolph had the better hanles than KG at the same age.

At the same age, Randolph has better wing skills than KG, but KG was the better rebounder and post player.

Size wise, KG was about 15 pounds heavier, but they were both about the same height.

I'm just shocked, that people on our forum are not talking about him. Everywhere else on the net is talking about him. This guy is an exciting player to watch.

Jimmy3702
07-20-2008, 05:26 PM
I hope he can become the next KG.

Saltinuts40
07-20-2008, 06:19 PM
Let him be Anthony Randolph. Let's let him get in at least 1 NBA game before we make him the next KG.

Conor
07-20-2008, 06:42 PM
Similar skillset at this point in his career, absolutely without quite the same rebounding and man-defense prowess. I see him as a hybrid of a poor man's KG and Tayshaun Prince. Best case scenario, I'd expect him to top out around 20 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists, 2 blocks, 2 steals. But yea, I see the parallels between the two.

garlicboy
07-20-2008, 06:48 PM
I think Randolph has that mentality to want to take that game winner. He's just so aggressive at the offensive end and at taking the ball to the hoop. Much better face up game than KG at the same age, but KG had a better back to the basket game.

likemystylez
07-20-2008, 08:45 PM
post game is no where near KGs, from what ive seen of him in college and in summer league... he actually plays a lot like kevin durant... Im not necesarly comparing talant but... their mindset, the shots they take, when they choose to drive etc.

Randolph has a first step that KG never had, But randolph doesnt play inside at all... even in summer league. he compares himself to lamar odom, and they might have a similer skill set... but randolph is soo much more aggressive.

If randolph gets a little bit of meat on him 10-15 lbs... hes gonna be getting to the line non stop..... The bad side is, I think teams are gonna gaurd him with like 6 4 or 6 5 guys.... and its gonna be affective.

garlicboy
07-21-2008, 12:37 AM
If randolph gets a little bit of meat on him 10-15 lbs... hes gonna be getting to the line non stop..... The bad side is, I think teams are gonna gaurd him with like 6 4 or 6 5 guys.... and its gonna be affective.

I think this is where Randolph will use his post game, and there is a big question mark as to whether he has back to the basket game. He has shown flashes, the sick up and under on Thaddeus Young and his overall aggressiveness.

I don't think it will be effective using a 6'4" on Randolph because Randolph showed the other day that he can handle the ball with a shorter wing applying pressue while he is dribbling. He does need to show better skills in creating for others in these situations.

Webelievegs!
07-21-2008, 12:57 AM
I dont like KG.

lincecum=future
07-21-2008, 01:06 AM
Its really unfair to be comparing him to KG. I agree with Saltinuts just let him be Anthony Randolph. He's got some sick skills and talent, thats for sure but he still needs a lot more work until he will put up some big numbers.

ridere46
07-21-2008, 01:26 AM
if he even comes close then GREAT for the WARRIORS...he has a great future but too early to make comparisons...that is not fair to AR.

garlicboy
07-21-2008, 01:30 AM
Fair shmare. It's fun and why not compare??? I've only started to compare them at the same age. We'll see how he progresses tomorrow playing against a stacked New Jersey nets team that features 2 or more starters(Sean Williams/Anderson and Brook Lopez) playing against the Dubs tomorrow. I can't wait!!!

Thatruth32
07-21-2008, 11:41 AM
one thing u cant compare is heart... i think most would agree kg goes hard all tha time for 10 plus years now... if anthony has tha same he should be great as well....

SEAN21REDSKINS
07-21-2008, 12:01 PM
the next KG?

jesus

he hasnt even recorded an NBA minute yet

BigWheel
07-21-2008, 12:13 PM
Last week when everyone was calling him out as 'too skinny' I brought up the NBA toughness factor of KG and Tayshaun.

Funny how nobody even acknowledged the post.... now everyone here is all comparing him to the same players.

Just for the record during the BD crisis I clearly stated I would be fine with CJ Watson as backup PG. Now he has had a great Summer League , and I can't wait til everyone jumps on the bandwagon.

Although i also like the Bobby Brown idea - and could handle being wrong for another D league standout.

garlicboy
07-21-2008, 12:34 PM
BigWheel,
Have you watched any summer league games? Watson is great at creating for himself, but he can't create for others. We need a back-up who has the ability to create for others on our for players who can't such as Brandan Wright, Azubuike, etc.

Watson had as many assists as he did turnovers. We all know he can score, he averaged mid-20's in the D-league.

UNETOWNBAYAREA
07-21-2008, 01:31 PM
Ask this after the season..
KG makes his team better in so many ways... AR hasnt even had the chance to prove that.
Trust me, I hope his name is talked about in a few years as KG

ULT WARRIOR408
07-21-2008, 01:46 PM
premature predictions hope so we'll see

R.Miller
07-21-2008, 03:53 PM
i swear does every scrawny 6-10 sf/pf hafe to be compared to KG. The kids got a lot of potential, but man does he need some muscle. Im looking forward to see who gets "bigger" first, him or B. wright.

Tmac416
07-21-2008, 04:25 PM
yea seriously. let the guy play one real nba game against players that have more than three years nba expierence. let him actually play aginast the best players. its way way way to early for something like this

garlicboy
07-21-2008, 04:39 PM
It's premature, but no more premature than people calling Derric Rose the next greatest thing while in college, yet he laid a goose egg in Orlando.

Randolph went head to head with Thaddeus Young and more than held his own. He went up a frontline of Jason Smith, Thaddeus Young and Marresse Speights. A front line that features 1 if not 2 starters next year for Philly.

I just feel like people are hating on our own player, Anthony Randolph.

I'm just excited that we have such an intruiging talent on our squad.

garlicboy
07-21-2008, 05:16 PM
http://www.examiner.com/x-441-Golden-State-Warriors-Examiner~y2008m7d21-Randolph-looks-good-in-Rocky-Mountain-Revue-debut-though-its-not-the-best-barometer

ULT WARRIOR408
07-22-2008, 05:39 PM
He Aint Gonna Play Point Or 2 Guard He'll Be A 3/4

garlicboy
07-25-2008, 03:10 AM
"He's a basketball player,'' Warriors Revue coach Sidney Moncrief said. "I don't think he's the type of player that you can put in a position. You just play him, and based on who you have on the court he'll have the talent and skills and ability to figure it and fit in at the right position.''

Small forward? Power forward? Point forward?

It just doesn't matter.

Before last month's draft, one NBA scout told the Dallas Morning News that Randolph can be considered a "Chris Bosh starter kit'' -- quite a compliment considering the Dallas-born Bosh's status as a three-time NBA All-Star since the Toronto Raptors drafted him in 2003.

Moncrief, though, doesn't buy the comparison.

"Totally different-type player,'' he said. "They're left-handed; they're both slender. But as far the ability to take the ball off the glass, bring it down the court and make a play -- that's a unique ability that he [Randolph] has that most guys his size don't have.''

Moncrief instead went with "like a young Lamar Odom,'' which is high regard as well. As for how long it is before Randolph actually is playing anything akin to either one of those two, the jury's still out.

He is averaging a team-high 16.7 points in three Revue games, including 14 in 21 minutes as Golden State held on to beat the NBA Development League's D-League Ambassadors all-star team 82-81 Thursday.

That ranks fifth among all scorers at the Revue heading into the league's final day of play.

Randolph also is a joy to watch, constantly going after the basketball, consistently fighting for control at the rim, battling under the boards and, at the specific request of coaches, looking for open teammates with increasing frequency.

That may be why Golden State head coach Don Nelson claimed he would have taken the 6-foot-10, 205-pounder with a frame to build on No. 1 overall -- and why the Warriors didn't allow him to get past them at 14.

Still, Randolph just turned 19 during the recently concluded NBA Summer League in Las Vegas -- where he drew rave reviews as well, averaging a team-high 20.8 points over four games and supposedly outshining everyone in the talent department.

And it remains to be seen how soon, or even how much, everything will translate.

"He's young. He's getting there,'' Moncrief said. "I just think he needs to work on his decision-making, taking better shots and making the right play.

"I really think it depends on the type of players that are around him,'' the longtime Milwaukee Bucks guard added. "He certainly is capable of playing minutes. How many I'm not sure, because his talent level is so high.''

Ask Randolph the same question, and he dances like a boxer, moves like the Army brat he is.

"I'm not really sure, because the NBA is a totally different ballgame than playing in the summer,'' he said. "So we'll just have to wait and see.''
-Tim Buckley ESPN

montaellisfan
07-25-2008, 04:22 AM
there is only 1 kg as there is only one jordan... and i foyle. so i dont like when people say he is the next so and so. but for randolphs size he handles the ball pretty well. how many 6'10 guys out there can crossover, push the ball and make plays off the dribble from the top of the key??? not too many guys come to mind. believe me he will get tested his 1st yr, u might be able to throw guards at him to take away his dribble. but i love his aggressive mentality. he doesnt care he weighs 197. he goes hard to the rim every time i watch him play. i'll give him that in the sense that kg was just as emotional on the defensive end at randolphs age

garlicboy
07-25-2008, 12:49 PM
Randolph is closer to Odom than KG, but no two players are identical but they can share similarities. I do feel that Randolph is more mentally strong than Odom. Odom never wanted to be the man at URI and had Tyson Wheeler as the main go-to-guy. Randolph like you said is fearless going to the whole and has this toughness about him. He guns at times, but when he gets pulled from the game because of it he is very receptive to coaching and comes back in and makes some nice passes or has good ideas about a pass that barely misses it's mark but his teammates should have caught.

JLantern
07-25-2008, 01:49 PM
^^^ this is how i feel about randolph. he is a lot closer to odom than kg, but he has more of a killer instinct than odom. if odom had this killer instinct that we all hoped he had, he would kill the league. i think randolph can eventually kill the league. randolph with monta and biedrins should be a real solid core for a long long time.

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-25-2008, 02:02 PM
He'll be the next Anthony Randolph. There has to someone named the same before him. LOL He'll be good but it's way to early to tell.

Mr. 3 Stacks
07-25-2008, 02:12 PM
I think the next AR is AR, i mean this guy is a BEASTTT!! I have never seen an at 6"10(srry if im wrong) do what he does, i mean goin coast to coast, his handles are nasty for his size. I would compare him to KG in terms of his J,but defensively weaker for obvious reasons. Which really doesnt matter because he is only 19, his potential is stupid.... I would really like to see him log in some minutes next year.

v3n0m
07-25-2008, 02:15 PM
No doubt about his skills, but KG has no match, probably the kid will grown on level, but to be at the same height as Garnett... I will have to question that...

garlicboy
07-25-2008, 02:33 PM
No doubt about his skills, but KG has no match, probably the kid will grown on level, but to be at the same height as Garnett... I will have to question that...

Team Doctors say that he's still growing another inch or two.