PDA

View Full Version : Are the Jazz good enough to win the NBA Title with this current team next season?

JordansBulls
07-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Are the Jazz good enough to win the NBA Title with this current team next season? Or do you think they are still lacking something?

PG Dwill/Price/Hart
SG Brewer/Korver/Almond
SF AK-47/Harpring
PF Boozer/Collins
C Okur/Millsap

roo3flash
07-20-2008, 09:24 PM
the jazz r my second favorite team (behind the heat) but that dosent mean im gonna say yes...i dont think with both okur and boozer that they will be able to i think they should trade one of them for a balanced center because they dont really have a legit center...boozer is to short and okur dont play defense....im gonna say though if they have home court advantage going into the finals and make it to the west vs east final then they could win but without it there kinda hopless... i do think they could win the west though

blloyd18
07-20-2008, 09:31 PM
the jazz obviously have the talent to win the championship right now it is just a matter of whether or not they can bring it together on the road and play like we all know they are capable of.

bw2893
07-21-2008, 02:42 AM
The jazz are a fantastic team, but this is the exact same team as last season, but without Miles. Even if they somehow pull it together and win a few more games on the road, look at the competition this year in teams like L.A, Portland, N.O, still the great SA, and it shows that the jazz still have missing pieces to go all the way. The west has strengthened itself a lot with many teams and the jazz... well, at least they signed williams.

The jazz with the team they have right now, will do exactly what they have done for the past twenty years, have a winning season, but without a championship. So no, the team the way it is right now is not good enough to make it all the way, even with a year of maturity under their belt. It comes down to teams being as strong as the jazz and those same teams have for the most part strengthened themselves, while the jazz have done nothing thus far, but rely on a year of maturity. Hopefully their FO has something planned...

HotRodsHair
07-21-2008, 07:44 AM
As they continue to age and develop together, they should improve. That said, they are still a notch below teams like SA and LA. (until proven otherwise) I like the teams current makeup, and think they have a nice collection of talent, but just think something is missing. Many folks highlight the lack of a defensive presence in the post, but that is not the problem I see. In my opinion they are one player away from championship caliber, and that players position is SG. We still need a SG who can create his own shot, is deadly from range and cannot be left open, can back his man down, can rebound on the offensive glass, can assume PG duties and run the offense effectively when Deron is doubled, and can play solid on the ball defense against the best two's in the game. You stick a guy like that on this team, and then they become championship capable in my opinion.

Don't believe me? Think about the Jazz when they had nearly all the pieces with Karl, John, Jeff Malone, et all. They had a good team, had been to some Western Conference Finals, and we believed. But when they traded Jeff Malone for Jeff Hornacek the team transformed into something much more capable.

frizbo72
07-21-2008, 09:19 AM
Did the Giants win the superbowl? Yes they can. If they are the hot team going into the playoffs then they could make a strong run. This team can beat any team on any given day so why couldn't they win it all?

джаз
07-21-2008, 10:17 AM
Did the Giants win the superbowl? Yes they can. If they are the hot team going into the playoffs then they could make a strong run. This team can beat any team on any given day so why couldn't they win it all?

Because in the NBA they have to play 7 game series and the best team almost always wins. The NFL is one and done and anyone can win if the other team is having an off game.

I really hope the Jazz FO makes some changes this off season, because I really feel they can't win it all with their current roster. They just aren't good enough defensively to be champs. They are good, but good is the enemy of great.

They need a few more tweaks to become great.

Lo Porto
07-21-2008, 11:24 AM
The Jazz could win it all with this roster, but probably won't because of lack of perimeter defense and post help defense. Our perimeter man to man defense is lacking with Brewer, Harpring and AK. Brewer is getting better, but AK and Harpring are only getting worse as shown this playoffs. They couldn't keep up with Kobe and McGrady and Manu would have been no different. The post defense is always going to lack from a help-side perspective. Boozer and Okur can hold their own man to man for the most part, but they are horrid in helping each other and the perimeter defenders out when in trouble.

If the Jazz get to championship contention calibur, it rests on the shoulders of guys like Brewer, Millsap, Korver, Fesenko and Koufos. Brewer and Millsap should continue to grow which instantly improves the team. Korver, however, could be the X factor. If he uses this offseason to get fully into the Jazz system offensively, he would be the weapon at the 2/3 that Utah has sorely needed. He can definitely shoot, but he can also decently drive and post up. Fesenko or Koufos need to develop as big men subs who can help defend.

The core of this roster could be in championship contention over the next 3-4 seasons with the right moves that would affect our play and financially. Hopefully, management will see the improvement of Brewer and acquisition of Korver as good enough players to replace AK should they find a taker for him this offseason. Dumping AK would let us have similar championship conversations the next few offseasons. Keeping AK might have us talking about our rebuilding plans next offseason.

futureman
07-21-2008, 12:07 PM
If the jazz don't make a trade this offseason and foolishly continue to believe that everyone will get better with experience they won't be going anywhere. I say we involve miles, millsap and Fess in a sign and trade and see what we could get for them. I can tell you that we will be getting worse this next year if we do nothing this offseason.

bw2893
07-21-2008, 04:33 PM
"If the jazz don't make a trade this offseason and foolishly continue to believe that everyone will get better with experience they won't be going anywhere. I say we involve miles, millsap and Fess in a sign and trade and see what we could get for them. I can tell you that we will be getting worse this next year if we do nothing this offseason."

Totally agree with this. Comments have been made earlier about where the weaknesses are. Is it in the defensive post position? Or the wing position? Or the bench? It's not in the bench, I can tell you that, but Miles, Milsap, and Fess together could bring in what we need, but not likely. I think more has to be in the offering, mentions of getting rid of AK for G. Wallace might work, but what about sign-and-trade AK and Brewer for Prince and Hamilton in Detroit? We would probably have to include someone else to get Hamilton, like Miles (who Detoit has supposedly had interest in). There is also B. Gordon availble, but I like the thought of Hamilton and Prince in jazz uniforms much more.

bw2893
07-21-2008, 04:41 PM
Here's the trade. Just switch Collins for Miles, or picture adding them both.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=2991~988~434~294~1724&teams=8~8~8~26~26&te=&cash=

Lo Porto
07-21-2008, 04:59 PM
Interesting idea, but I don't think Detroit would have any interest. They are looking to shop Rasheed and Billups, not Hamilton and Prince. I would take Prince over AK all day. Don't think they would do this, but you never know...

bw2893
07-21-2008, 05:15 PM
You're right about Hamilton not being shopped, but I heard Prince was being shopped just as much as Billups. Detroit has been looking for a superstar though and AK is a little bit far from that.

the real dose
07-21-2008, 05:27 PM
I just hope Sloan wins one before he retires

he should ve never left da bulls

bw2893
07-21-2008, 06:51 PM
This trade is something that Detroit might actually look at:

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=294~530~1724~2991~434~1014&teams=26~26~26~8~8~8&te=&cash=

What do ya think?

jimbobjarree
07-21-2008, 11:04 PM
screw Detroit, old and outdated