PDA

View Full Version : Ray Durham to Brewers

iam brett favre
07-20-2008, 01:07 PM
ESPN reports the Brewers have acquired Ray Durham. It's not yet known what they received in return. MLBTR covered movement on this yesterday.

The switch hitter brings his bat to the Brewers bench and could take over Rickie Weeks' spot on the depth chart if Weeks continues to struggle in the second half.

-MLBTR (http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/)

yaowowrocket11
07-20-2008, 01:12 PM
The Brewers are going for it this year, and I think they definitely have a shot.

dodgersuck
07-20-2008, 01:13 PM
i hope that this is a sign of more salary dumping to come

koldjerky
07-20-2008, 01:14 PM
The Phillies will take Cain's salary off your hands.

OnWisconsin2007
07-20-2008, 01:16 PM
Good move for the Brewers. Durham will be good off of the bench and can lead off from time to time. I like it, although I want to see another reliever brought in.

SFGIANTSFAN32
07-20-2008, 01:26 PM

The Phillies dont have enough to give up for Cain, especially since they gave up #2 and #4 prospects to the A's

rriders9
07-20-2008, 01:30 PM
Brewers are going all out this year, but they have a tough division to come out of

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-20-2008, 01:30 PM
next.........Randy Winn!!!

Giants2009
07-20-2008, 01:37 PM
or aurilia

horry1ur
07-20-2008, 01:38 PM
Or molina

horry1ur
07-20-2008, 01:39 PM
Or Taschner to the Brew Crew :)

sportwiz628
07-20-2008, 01:46 PM
I think the brewers are really un believable first sabathia (great) then durham (ok i guess) and maybe soon street (good).

horry1ur
07-20-2008, 01:48 PM
I think the Huston Street deal is dead for now because the guy they[Brewers] were going to deal is now going to SF

redwhitenblue
07-20-2008, 01:52 PM
Good move for the Brewers. Durham will be good off of the bench and can lead off from time to time. I like it, although I want to see another reliever brought in.
If you acquired him to be on the bench, you're an idiot

BaRRySandAmaN
07-20-2008, 02:23 PM
He was aquired to play Second and to have some Veteren leadership. The Brewers need bullpen help so im kinda puzzled on this deal but Doug Melvin has done well so far so he has something up his sleeve

sportwiz628
07-20-2008, 02:28 PM
I think the Huston Street deal is dead for now because the guy they[Brewers] were going to deal is now going to SF

ok then

Ragun
07-20-2008, 02:34 PM
daymn man. these guys going crazy.

OnWisconsin2007
07-20-2008, 03:26 PM

Not really. He's not going to start everyday in front of Weeks. He's going to start every so often off of the bench and come in to pinch hit. I think I know what the Brewers are doing a little better than you, so why don't you just keep your cocky comments to yourself.

Poncho_707
07-20-2008, 07:07 PM
ima laugh when the brews dont make it this year
or next
or next

and then they have no prospects to use in a couple years :laugh2:

redwhitenblue
07-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Not really. He's not going to start everyday in front of Weeks. He's going to start every so often off of the bench and come in to pinch hit. I think I know what the Brewers are doing a little better than you, so why don't you just keep your cocky comments to yourself.
The Brewers would be worse off, considering Durham is having a better year than Weeks and hits RHP very well

I'm afraid you don't know what the Brewers are doing-sad to say for a "fan" who showed up this year after the Brewers started winning in June

Poncho_707
07-20-2008, 08:27 PM
durham will help them a lil but he will get hurt next week

horry1ur
07-20-2008, 08:43 PM
LOL more like tomorrow against the Cards

PA announcer: Here comes your newest brewer Ray Durham!!!!!
PA announcer: oh wait he pulled his hamstring trying to walk out the dugout

CAIN=FUTURE
07-20-2008, 08:43 PM

Impossible fit. The only players anywere in Phills organazation that are worth Cain are so untradable its rediculous. They are obviously Chase Utley, Ryan Howard, and Jimmy Rollins. It all honesty if the Phills offered any one of them for Cain, I would say no. Im not taking anything away from any of them. But realisticaly, when the Giants are relevant they will be 30, or 30 something.

koldjerky
07-20-2008, 08:49 PM
I guess you really have to have an emoticon followed by every sarcastic comment you make or else people won't get it....

Someone said, "Let the salary dump begin" or something along those lines and I commented with "we'll take cain off your hands." I guess lincecum is completely out of the question then, huh?

CAIN=FUTURE
07-20-2008, 08:54 PM
I guess you really have to have an emoticon followed by every sarcastic comment you make or else people won't get it....

Someone said, "Let the salary dump begin" or something along those lines and I commented with "we'll take cain off your hands." I guess lincecum is completely out of the question then, huh?

Sorry. The rescent rumors of the Phillies inquiring about Cain had me confused.

Halladay
07-20-2008, 08:54 PM
or next
or next

LOL...oh wait, I thought you were talking about the Giants ;)

McJoe
07-20-2008, 08:56 PM
im not sure who their GM is cause i think Gord Ash is the assistant or something but they are smart...here is whats happening...they just dealt nothing for Durham i assume and they dealt Laporta and not much for CC so they havent actually dealt too much.

but its what they will or i guess might do since i dont actually know will be very interesting...i could see alot of the following things happen...

*not re-sign CC OR Sheets -- take the 4 picks you would get in return for them and re stock the farm system for possibly another quick rebuild with Yo-Go coming back as the ace
*deal J.J. Hardy -- Alcides is probably ready and Hardy is a great hitting SS who could most likely get quite a bit in return
*deal Prince Fielder -- I really dont think Gamel will stick at third and even tho they already dealt Laporta, Gamel could come in and play first most likely to start the season
*deal Bill Hall -- very likely IMO. Unless they cant get enough in return in which case hes a good versatile player to have.

they already have a great farm system and with Hardy most likely getting 1 4 star spec in return, Fielder maybe getting 2, and getting 4 for Sheets and CC that farm system would be stacked again and right up there with the Rays

OR they could go the opposite route and re-sign BOTH CC and Sheets even tho i doubt they have the money for that and then get Yo-Go back and maybe dump off Suppan on someone else to get more space for Sheets and CC giving themselves a team that competes with the Cubs for the division for a few years...lol

CAIN=FUTURE
07-20-2008, 08:56 PM
LOL...oh wait, I thought you were talking about the Giants ;)

Thats what happened with the Giants durring the early 2002's.

koldjerky
07-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Sorry. The rescent rumors of the Phillies inquiring about Cain had me confused.

Oh yeah, sorry that's right there were those rumors. The Phillies have a few decent spects left in the system that could probably get Cain. Doubtful but still possible. You'd be crazy if Rollins, Utley or Howard would be even in a discussion for Cain on the Phillies end.

koldjerky
07-20-2008, 09:02 PM
im not sure who their GM is cause i think Gord Ash is the assistant or something but they are smart...here is whats happening...they just dealt nothing for Durham i assume and they dealt Laporta and not much for CC so they havent actually dealt too much.

but its what they will or i guess might do since i dont actually know will be very interesting...i could see alot of the following things happen...

*not re-sign CC OR Sheets -- take the 4 picks you would get in return for them and re stock the farm system for possibly another quick rebuild with Yo-Go coming back as the ace
*deal J.J. Hardy -- Alcides is probably ready and Hardy is a great hitting SS who could most likely get quite a bit in return
*deal Prince Fielder -- I really dont think Gamel will stick at third and even tho they already dealt Laporta, Gamel could come in and play first most likely to start the season
*deal Bill Hall -- very likely IMO. Unless they cant get enough in return in which case hes a good versatile player to have.

they already have a great farm system and with Hardy most likely getting 1 4 star spec in return, Fielder maybe getting 2, and getting 4 for Sheets and CC that farm system would be stacked again and right up there with the Rays

OR they could go the opposite route and re-sign BOTH CC and Sheets even tho i doubt they have the money for that and then get Yo-Go back and maybe dump off Suppan on someone else to get more space for Sheets and CC giving themselves a team that competes with the Cubs for the division for a few years...lol

If they do all those deals they will drop to the bottom of the division again. I don't think they can trade all those guys, albeit they will net a lot in return. I think they should resign one of CC or Sheets, too.

Halladay
07-20-2008, 09:03 PM
Thats what happened with the Giants durring the early 2002's.

there was more then one 2002? :D

CAIN=FUTURE
07-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Oh yeah, sorry that's right there were those rumors. The Phillies have a few decent spects left in the system that could probably get Cain. Doubtful but still possible. You'd be crazy if Rollins, Utley or Howard would be even in a discussion for Cain on the Phillies end.

I think Cain will be as valuable as one of the Phillies big 3 hitters, but right now, he is not close to them. It wouldnt work for either team. Giants are trying to get younger, and the Phillies are trying to trade prospects to upgrade.

I cant possibly see the Phillies having enough on the farm to land Cain. They traded their #2 and #4 or 5 prospects (according to Baseball America) for Joe Blanton. Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the Phills top prospect a pitcher? The Giants would want a big tim power bat in return. The Giants would get what the A's got in return for Haren, if not more.

Glad were squared on the Cain to Philly/sarcasam issue btw.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-20-2008, 09:07 PM
there was more then one 2002? :D

Whoopsy dazy. I meant 2000.

And I like to remember 2002 as a whole decade because it was just to great of a year for the Giants.

Brewersin08
07-20-2008, 11:02 PM
or next
or next

Yeah because we gave up sooo much for Ray Durham and CC Sabathia. Other than LaPorta, who will probably be a great 1B/OF, we gave up a AA pitcher who had a 7.00+ era, a AAA starter in Zach Zackson who sucked balls this May with Milwaukee, an A OFer who was hitting .230 although he did have like 40 SB's, and Taylor Green who could be a decent 3B in the future. Run out of prospects? We still have Jeffress who boasts a 100 mph+ fastball, Escobar at SS, Gamel at 1B/3B, and Gwynn in CF. Not to mention the numerous other minor prospects that the organization is holding.

Poncho_707
07-20-2008, 11:06 PM
^well at the pace ur gonna trade for someone else and have no good prospects

cant believe u guys traded laports for 1 year of CC :pity:

koldjerky
07-20-2008, 11:37 PM
I think Cain will be as valuable as one of the Phillies big 3 hitters, but right now, he is not close to them. It wouldnt work for either team. Giants are trying to get younger, and the Phillies are trying to trade prospects to upgrade.

I cant possibly see the Phillies having enough on the farm to land Cain. They traded their #2 and #4 or 5 prospects (according to Baseball America) for Joe Blanton. Correct me if im wrong, but isnt the Phills top prospect a pitcher? The Giants would want a big tim power bat in return. The Giants would get what the A's got in return for Haren, if not more.

Glad were squared on the Cain to Philly/sarcasam issue btw.

Lol, yeah man.

Yeah the Phillies farm isn't that great and it would be hard to get cain from you guys. It's almost unanimous that the A's raped the Phillies for Blanton, well at least they used lube so it didn't hurt that much. Mainly because the phil's top 2 and 4 prospect were probably not even in the top 100.

koldjerky
07-20-2008, 11:39 PM

Do you know baseball? Do you know what wins championships? Do you know how good CC and Sheets will be in the playoffs? Do you realize how good and young the offense is still for the Brewers? Do you realize they still have good specs in the their farm? Do you realize LaPorta may not even pan out in the majors while CC is a legit ace already? Do you realize besides Laporta they gave up miniscule talent, in turn making it look like a Laporta for CC and Durham?

don't answer.

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-20-2008, 11:52 PM
Do you know baseball? Do you know what wins championships? Do you know how good CC and Sheets will be in the playoffs? Do you realize how good and young the offense is still for the Brewers? Do you realize they still have good specs in the their farm? Do you realize LaPorta may not even pan out in the majors while CC is a legit ace already? Do you realize besides Laporta they gave up miniscule talent, in turn making it look like a Laporta for CC and Durham?

don't answer.

They're going all in. If it works out then there will be nothing to argue about

Brewersin08
07-21-2008, 12:00 AM
They're going all in. If it works out then there will be nothing to argue about

Even if it doesn't work out, it was the best move to make to try and make it to the postseason. Basically we gave up one major prospect who was actually somewhat expendable, to get CC and Durham. The other 4 or 5 guys we gave up were low level prospects.

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-21-2008, 12:16 AM
Even if it doesn't work out, it was the best move to make to try and make it to the postseason. Basically we gave up one major prospect who was actually somewhat expendable, to get CC and Durham. The other 4 or 5 guys we gave up were low level prospects.

Yeah, I'm not mad at there trades so far. Durham will help this year, given that he stays healthy. His switch hitting will help as well. They're one big bat away from taking over the National league. Say......Tex will do!!

Havoc Wreaker
07-21-2008, 12:47 AM
with rickie weeks CLEARLY struggling at the plate Durham will be the everyday 2b
I dunno if this is what Mil needs to be over the hump, what I know is this GM is going for it this season, hes calling all shots and i dont blame him, trying to change MILs Post season drought
Good luck to them, I truly believe they can win the WC

koldjerky
07-21-2008, 12:48 AM
Yeah, I'm not mad at there trades so far. Durham will help this year, given that he stays healthy. His switch hitting will help as well. They're one big bat away from taking over the National league. Say......Tex will do!!

Tex? Tex and Fielder will platoon at firsT?

meandering
07-21-2008, 12:56 AM

Uhmmmmmmmm......bats may not be QUITE the problem! Acouple right handed relievers could go just as far. We have all the bats we need. Moto and Gagne need to go bye bye. Gagne has never succeeded in a set up role.
We need another reliever/closer.

NorthsideJohn
07-21-2008, 01:04 AM

Do you realize this is the same GM who signed Gagne for 10 Mil? And let Cordero walk... and the same team who wilted under pressure and had a manager who literally had a mental meltdown in every game down the stretch...... Lets see if Sheets can stay healthy and if CC can win a big game.. if not you just wasted a possible star slugger for 12-15 games pitched by CC... and Durham?? who cares??

CAIN=FUTURE
07-21-2008, 01:48 AM
Lol, yeah man.

Yeah the Phillies farm isn't that great and it would be hard to get cain from you guys. It's almost unanimous that the A's raped the Phillies for Blanton, well at least they used lube so it didn't hurt that much. Mainly because the phil's top 2 and 4 prospect were probably not even in the top 100.

Billy Beane tends to do that to people.

Poncho_707
07-21-2008, 02:39 AM

don't answer.

do u know baseball?

dont u think that sending ur best prospect for a 1 year pitcher isnt the best idea

if u guys lose in the playoffs. then cc is gone. then u guys only have sheets (again) and u dont have ur top prospect

CaptainCool79
07-21-2008, 02:55 AM
yea you get em poncho lol.

Seamhead
07-21-2008, 03:02 AM
do u know baseball?

dont u think that sending ur best prospect for a 1 year pitcher isnt the best idea

if u guys lose in the playoffs. then cc is gone. then u guys only have sheets (again) and u dont have ur top prospect

It's even worse, actually. Sheets is a FA this season, too, and they more than likely won't be able to sign him, either.

The good thing is that they'll get 5 out of the 1st 35 draft picks in next year's draft if they indeed do lose both Sheets and CC, so they'll be able to somewhat restock the farm.

danbuc0101
07-21-2008, 03:19 AM
Yeah because we gave up sooo much for Ray Durham and CC Sabathia. Other than LaPorta, who will probably be a great 1B/OF, we gave up a AA pitcher who had a 7.00+ era, a AAA starter in Zach Zackson who sucked balls this May with Milwaukee, an A OFer who was hitting .230 although he did have like 40 SB's, and Taylor Green who could be a decent 3B in the future. Run out of prospects? We still have Jeffress who boasts a 100 mph+ fastball, Escobar at SS, Gamel at 1B/3B, and Gwynn in CF. Not to mention the numerous other minor prospects that the organization is holding.

Yea and with all that upside ur talking about ther still is a very good chance that the brewers wont even make the playoffs, you have to deal wit the phillies and the marlins who both have been postseason worthy this year. And u will soon see wat ray durham is capable of and believe u will not be pleasently surprised. Ur gonna end eating up a big contract for someone who is straight filth. So have fun with that.

Humongo
07-21-2008, 03:29 AM
do u know baseball?

There's no spot on the Brewers for Laporta anyways. Where do they play him? OF? He can't play CF, and Hart and Braun are in the corners. 1B? Fielder's got that locked down. How's it dumb to deal Laporta if they have no where to put him?

Havoc Wreaker
07-21-2008, 01:03 PM
do u know baseball?

And sheets might be gone as well
But still i think the FO thinkt hey can go for it this year, if it doesnt pan out, well they still have some good prospects in their farm, so even after this "sell out" of young prospects, the brewers are not gonna get set back by these trades

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-21-2008, 01:05 PM
There's no spot on the Brewers for Laporta anyways. Where do they play him? OF? He can't play CF, and Hart and Braun are in the corners. 1B? Fielder's got that locked down. How's it dumb to deal Laporta if they have no where to put him?

How long will fielder stay in the NL and play 1b? They already offered him a contract similar to Braun's and he rejected it. With him going into arbitration we could very well see him shipped. Leaving a spot open for Laporta.

It's even worse, actually. Sheets is a FA this season, too, and they more than likely won't be able to sign him, either.

The good thing is that they'll get 5 out of the 1st 35 draft picks in next year's draft if they indeed do lose both Sheets and CC, so they'll be able to somewhat restock the farm.

Maybe so but then those specs are going to be a few years away which really doesn't help them in the near future without any pitching.

OnWisconsin2007
07-21-2008, 01:20 PM
You guys don't know anything about the Brewers farm system, so I'll educate you. LaPorta was not our best prospect. That honor would go to Mat Gamel. And, FYI, that double A team he came from had 10 all-stars. So, we haven't exactly sold the farm and have nothing left to play with in the minors. Next, If we don't sign either Sheets or Sabathia, we will for sure have enough money to sign Fielder. This isn't the 2001 Milwaukee Brewers, we actually have a decent amount of money and will sign some players. I'm still optimistic about Sheets as well. I think we'll resign him, mostly because he likes Milwaukee and has been here his entire career. Wishful thinking, but whatever. And we already totally rebuffed our farm system this year. All those picks next year would be even better. We can keep trading these prospects for other good players. And, by the way, we are not going to have Durham starting every day in front of Weeks, he's here to play good off of the bench, be a veteran and mentor some players, and start 1-2 times a week. The main factor that plays into that decision is that Rickie scores tons of runs, has a somewhat decent OBP, and can hit for power. The organization is obviously praying that Weeks's BA picks up, which it may or may not, but the fact remains that Durham isn't going to start every day.

Duddy415
07-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Do you realize this is the same GM who signed Gagne for 10 Mil? And let Cordero walk... and the same team who wilted under pressure and had a manager who literally had a mental meltdown in every game down the stretch...... Lets see if Sheets can stay healthy and if CC can win a big game.. if not you just wasted a possible star slugger for 12-15 games pitched by CC... and Durham?? who cares??

The brewers didnt even give up a fraction of there minor league talent for the players theyve got so far. These trades are not going to set them back at all in the near future... The cubs fans better just keep hoping that the brewers melt down like last year, because from the outsiders perspective its looking like the exact opposite is taking place.

Duddy415
07-21-2008, 02:17 PM

i dont think you know anything about the brewers farm system, and your trying to make it seem like you do.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-21-2008, 02:22 PM
The brewers didnt even give up a fraction of there minor league talent for the players theyve got so far. These trades are not going to set them back at all in the near future... The cubs fans better just keep hoping that the brewers melt down like last year, because from the outsiders perspective its looking like the exact opposite is taking place.

It looks like the exact opposite is taking place? How the hell do you figure? Is that because we just lost a series? Last I checked the cubs made a move that was comparable to the brewers pick up and we still have the 2nd best record in baseball and the best run differential in the league attributed to the best offense and best pitching staff in the NL.

long ball
07-21-2008, 02:33 PM
It looks like the exact opposite is taking place? How the hell do you figure? Is that because we just lost a series? Last I checked the cubs made a move that was comparable to the brewers pick up and we still have the 2nd best record in baseball and the best run differential in the league attributed to the best offense and best pitching staff in the NL.
Well right now the crew are chasing the Cardinals.

But they still have 10 games agianst the Cubs. 7 of which are at Miller Park.

The Brewers only play 13 road games against teams with winning records. And 23 overall.

They only play 2 games against a team with a winning record in August.

The Brewers have a relativly favorable schedule for the last 2.5 months of the season.

Don't hide behind that best record in the NL bs. Brewers fans did the same thing last year and it did not hold up.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Well right now the crew are chasing the Cardinals.

But they still have 10 games agianst the Cubs. 7 of which are at Miller Park.

The Brewers only play 13 road games against teams with winning records. And 23 overall.

They only play 2 games against a team with a winning record in August.

The Brewers have a relativly favorable schedule for the last 2.5 months of the season.

Don't hide behind that best record in the NL bs. Brewers fans did the same thing last year and it did not hold up.

I'm not hiding behind anything. But the fact is the cubs have had the best offense even with Soriano having two DL stints. And had one of the best pitching staffs before the harden trade now have the best in the NL

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ank.X9HIwlXVHdq4FwFT8.QRvLYF?slug=ys-hardensabathia070808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

And talking about the weak schedule of the brewers wouldn't be the cubs collapsing that'd be the breweres taking advantage of a situation.

Dcup
07-21-2008, 02:51 PM
I am still a little puzzled by the move to acquire Ray Durham. I think that there are other guys that we couldve gone after that are a lot better than him. On the flip side, he should bring veteran leadership, and play against right handed hitters, when Weeks struggles. Also, we have not given up anything for the two deals that we have made. LaPorta was the biggest loss, but I think we can live with that if we make the playoffs. And, we will get compensatory picks for Sheets, CC, AND Durham should we not resign any of them this offseason. If that is the case our farm system is and will be fine. We're not hurting for young studs, and we have plenty on our major league roster to compete for a few years to come.

MikeG33
07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Yea and with all that upside ur talking about ther still is a very good chance that the brewers wont even make the playoffs, you have to deal wit the phillies and the marlins who both have been postseason worthy this year. And u will soon see wat ray durham is capable of and believe u will not be pleasently surprised. Ur gonna end eating up a big contract for someone who is straight filth. So have fun with that.

Last I checked, the Brewers had a better record than BOTH Philadelphia and Florida. Ray Durham will be a nice left handed bat in our lineup, that is one of the MAIN reasons why the Brewers traded for him!
On top of that, what "big contract" are the Brewers going to have to eat?
The Giants are picking up half of the remaining $3M contract due for Durham - so in essence, the Brewers have a more reliable hitter, left handed bat, and veteran presence in Durham for $1.5M - that is not much for what we are getting!

FC_4_life
07-21-2008, 03:31 PM
I am still a little puzzled by the move to acquire Ray Durham. I think that there are other guys that we couldve gone after that are a lot better than him. On the flip side, he should bring veteran leadership, and play against right handed hitters, when Weeks struggles. Also, we have not given up anything for the two deals that we have made. LaPorta was the biggest loss, but I think we can live with that if we make the playoffs. And, we will get compensatory picks for Sheets, CC, AND Durham should we not resign any of them this offseason. If that is the case our farm system is and will be fine. We're not hurting for young studs, and we have plenty on our major league roster to compete for a few years to come.

Are you sure about the compensation picks thing? I don't think you get anything for Durham... If so, the Giants would've been better off holding on to him...

long ball
07-21-2008, 03:45 PM
Second basemen
Ray Durham
Mark Ellis
Marcus Giles
Mark Grudzielanek
Orlando Hudson
Tadahito Iguchi
Jeff Kent
Felipe Lopez
Mark Loretta
Aaron Miles
Jose Valentin

That's a list of FA second basemen. Durham had a bad year last year so he may not give any draft pick compensation. He will not be a Class A free agent

jwdaly07
07-21-2008, 04:15 PM
This is funny. First of all I believe the Giants gave us cash considerations which takes the "big contract" of Durham's we have to eat down to about 1.5 or 2 mil.

You call Durham straight filth...Every time a player is traded it seems the fans of his original team suddenly think he's trash. I'll take a .293 BA with a .385 OBP any day. You want filth, look at Darren Ford, and the numbers back it up. A speedster with no power that still has a bad strikeout rate. Damn, what a loss for us.

Third we're better than the Phillies and Marlins and only 3 games out in the central so we have a great shot with our team to make the postseason, seeing as we've got the best record in the MLB since May 20.

Finally, aren't you a Giants fan? Have fun with that. Speaking of eating big contracts, how is Zito working out for ya? :laugh:

L-MiLLZ44
07-21-2008, 05:10 PM
i like the deal for the Brew Crew ..... Veteran Leadership who can still hit a little

CAIN=FUTURE
07-21-2008, 05:12 PM
This is funny. First of all I believe the Giants gave us cash considerations which takes the "big contract" of Durham's we have to eat down to about 1.5 or 2 mil.

You call Durham straight filth...Every time a player is traded it seems the fans of his original team suddenly think he's trash. I'll take a .293 BA with a .385 OBP any day. You want filth, look at Darren Ford, and the numbers back it up. A speedster with no power that still has a bad strikeout rate. Damn, what a loss for us.

Third we're better than the Phillies and Marlins and only 3 games out in the central so we have a great shot with our team to make the postseason, seeing as we've got the best record in the MLB since May 20.

Finally, aren't you a Giants fan? Have fun with that. Speaking of eating big contracts, how is Zito working out for ya? :laugh:

Durham does have a good average. But hes terrible at defense and hits into way to many double plays. He was one of my favorite Giants, and I still like him because he didnt want the Giants to make the trade offical until after the series with Milwaukee so he didnt have to suit up against the Giants.

brewersfan729
07-21-2008, 05:19 PM
That's a list of FA second basemen. Durham had a bad year last year so he may not give any draft pick compensation. He will not be a Class A free agent

I doubt we're getting any compensation picks from him. We would have to offer him arbitration and if accepted it we're paying him a boatload of money next year. Money that could be much better spent.

Tragedy
07-21-2008, 05:20 PM
I mean, I don't hate this deal, but I also don't love it. It's not like it's going to put the Brewers over the top, or anything.

Havoc Wreaker
07-21-2008, 05:32 PM
I'm not hiding behind anything. But the fact is the cubs have had the best offense even with Soriano having two DL stints. And had one of the best pitching staffs before the harden trade now have the best in the NL

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=Ank.X9HIwlXVHdq4FwFT8.QRvLYF?slug=ys-hardensabathia070808&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

And talking about the weak schedule of the brewers wouldn't be the cubs collapsing that'd be the breweres taking advantage of a situation.

Dude chill No1 said the cubs were about to collapse, the guy said that the brewers might NOT collapse like it happened last season
Nothing worse than Blind Fans

redwhitenblue
07-21-2008, 07:01 PM
And, by the way, we are not going to have Durham starting every day in front of Weeks, he's here to play good off of the bench, be a veteran and mentor some players, and start 1-2 times a week. The main factor that plays into that decision is that Rickie scores tons of runs, has a somewhat decent OBP, and can hit for power.Just wondering, when was the last time you looked at Week's OBP and SLG (aka power) and compared it with Durhams?

Havoc Wreaker
07-21-2008, 11:59 PM
Just wondering, when was the last time you looked at Week's OBP and SLG (aka power) and compared it with Durhams?

Just took the liberty for the sake of argument

Weeks = .326 OBP .364 SLG
Durham = .384 OBP .414 SLG

jwdaly07
07-22-2008, 12:01 AM

Right right, when the Brewers fell apart last year Cub fans were quick to rub it in our faces, but now that the Cubs are showing minimal signs of a possible collapse, it's all excuses right?

Sorry but if the Cubs do not win the central this year after the lead they had, it's not less of a chokejob than what the Brewers did last year.

Brew Crew
07-22-2008, 12:12 AM
Just wondering, when was the last time you looked at Week's OBP and SLG (aka power) and compared it with Durhams?

Does this comparison matter to anyone but you? Durham isn't starting, and Weeks is. End of story.

Brewersin08
07-22-2008, 12:30 AM
Right right, when the Brewers fell apart last year Cub fans were quick to rub it in our faces, but now that the Cubs are showing minimal signs of a possible collapse, it's all excuses right?

Sorry but if the Cubs do not win the central this year after the lead they had, it's not less of a chokejob than what the Brewers did last year.
Oh it most definitely would be. :) At least it took a couple of months for us to cough up our 7.5 game lead. The Cubs gave us 4 games back in less than a week. Your nice 6 game cushion has turned into a 2 game lead. :speechless:

OnWisconsin2007
07-22-2008, 12:33 AM

I know what I'm talking about, much moreso than you do. Durham's ancient *** isn't starting. Weeks is much better on the bases, scores tons of runs, and is much better defensively. Not to mention, he's supposedly the 2B of the future, so Ray Durham isn't coming in to take his spot. Rickie Weeks can also hit for power, kinda like tonight when he gave us a 3-2 lead in St. Louis.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-22-2008, 12:43 AM
I know what I'm talking about, much moreso than you do. Durham's ancient *** isn't starting. Weeks is much better on the bases, scores tons of runs, and is much better defensively. Not to mention, he's supposedly the 2B of the future, so Ray Durham isn't coming in to take his spot. Rickie Weeks can also hit for power, kinda like tonight when he gave us a 3-2 lead in St. Louis.

Durham also has A LOT more experince, and is one of the best second basemans of this decade.

OnWisconsin2007
07-22-2008, 12:46 AM
Durham also has A LOT more experince, and is one of the best second basemans of this decade.

Yeah, he's here for veteran leadership and good pinch hitting, and the occasional start. And right now he's one of the worst second baseman in the league.

Brewersin08
07-22-2008, 12:49 AM

Absolutely, but the Brewers aren't about to just give up on Weeks. He has a lot more power and seems to come up with the big hit. I like Durham as a two timeish a week starter and an excellent switch hitting option off the bench late in games. He adds a strong veteran presence to the team and along with Counsell, Kapler, and Branyan makes for a very strong bench/reserve pool in case of an injury. Not to mention Gwynn Jr. is in AAA.

jwdaly07
07-22-2008, 12:51 AM
Oh it most definitely would be. :) At least it took a couple of months for us to cough up our 7.5 game lead. The Cubs gave us 4 games back in less than a week. Your nice 6 game cushion has turned into a 2 game lead. :speechless:

You realize I'm a Brewers fan right? I said it wouldn't be LESS of a chokejob in comparison to ours last year for the Cubs to give away their lead to us.

Brewersin08
07-22-2008, 12:54 AM
You realize I'm a Brewers fan right? I said it wouldn't be LESS of a chokejob in comparison to ours last year for the Cubs to give away their lead to us.

Yes. I was saying it would be just as big if not bigger of a chokejob than what we pulled last year. Of course I know you're not a Cubs fan.

CAIN=FUTURE
07-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Weeks hasnt done to good, but he is the starter as of now. But Durham is there if or maybe when the Brewers give up on him. He can only start for so long if he keeps up his hitting.

redwhitenblue
07-24-2008, 10:29 PM

The Cubs lead was never that big, I think 5 games is the most they've had
I know what I'm talking about, much moreso than you do.You say this, yet you fail to bring any logic, reasoning or statistical backing to your argument which makes you look ignorant
Weeks is much better on the bases, scores tons of runs, and is much better defensively.I see an opinion, a pointless/statistically unbacked opinion, and another opinion...no facts

Rickie Weeks can also hit for power, kinda like tonight when he gave us a 3-2 lead in St. Louis.
For your sake, posted by another Brewers fan

Just took the liberty for the sake of argument

Weeks = .326 OBP .364 SLG
Durham = .384 OBP .414 SLG
Looks like Durham has considerably more power

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-24-2008, 11:32 PM
Durham does have a good average. But hes terrible at defense and hits into way to many double plays. He was one of my favorite Giants, and I still like him because he didnt want the Giants to make the trade offical until after the series with Milwaukee so he didnt have to suit up against the Giants.

Not to mention injury prone.

Brew Crew
07-25-2008, 11:26 AM
Looks like Durham has considerably more power

The stats may look that way but believe me, I don't think Durham can hit a bomb like Rickie Weeks does. With his recent streak, there is no way I'd like Durham take time away from Rickie. It'll be hard to find him time with the way the infield is hitting right now.