PDA

View Full Version : Wade aggressively seeking trades

native_astro
07-20-2008, 12:10 PM
HOUSTON -- With the July 31 Trade Deadline fast approaching, Astros general manager Ed Wade said he has made his club's needs known to the rest of the league.
And while Wade has not specified certain clubs or players in which he is interested, he maintains that Houston will be as aggressive as possible over the next 12 days.

"We'd like to get some late-inning bullpen help to help with Doug Brocail so we're not wearing Doug out," Wade said prior to Friday's win against the Cubs. "And obviously we're always trying to see if there are ways to upgrade our starting rotation, but that doesn't put us in exclusive company with anybody. There are a lot of clubs trying to do the same thing."

Wade said his main goal is to improve the club, whether that improvement be short-term or long-term.

He said Houston's attempt at making up ground in the next few series, especially following Friday's 2-1 win against the top team in the division, will weigh on his choices in the next few days.

"We're going to stay aggressive and see what we can get done, but we're realistic from the standpoint that our system is not very deep at this stage," he said. "We're going to have to get creative in order for us to do anything of great significance."

source: mlb.com
link: http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080719&content_id=3155768&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

I have to call "BS" on this one! This sounds like the same old song and dance that the Astros front office feeds us every week before the trade deadline.

I would be shocked if the Astros did anything besides trade off guys like Loretta, Erstad, or maybe Wigginton.

Shocked! :speechless:

lilboytwister99
07-20-2008, 01:11 PM
I have to call "BS" on this one! This sounds like the same old song and dance that the Astros front office feeds us every week before the trade deadline.

I would be shocked if the Astros did anything besides trade off guys like Loretta, Erstad, or maybe Wigginton.

Shocked! :speechless:

LOL I agree with you. Total BS that the front office likes to feed us. Purpura said the same thing and then he got canned.

Astros cant really make a reasonable trade because they dont have anybody to trade. We dont have a farm system, yet we might be on track to rebuilding one with the signing of Castro. I can only see them offering Tejada, which wont happen, or Loretta, Erstad, or Wigginton. Those last three guys couldnt land us much besides another position player that we really dont need at this point.

Keep the cards in your hand and play on Houston. The least you can do is be a spoiler for the Cubs and Brewers. So far we've been doing a number on Chicago.

KniCks4LiFe
07-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Question do any of you think Wade would part w/ Wesley Wright if so what are the Astros looking for in return for him ?

Blackcar09
07-21-2008, 10:12 AM
Question do any of you think Wade would part w/ Wesley Wright if so what are the Astros looking for in return for him ?

It won't happen we NEED bullpen help, and Wrights one of the guys we normally can depend on to not pull a Lidge for us.

native_astro
07-21-2008, 10:20 AM

I'm not sure how the rules of the rule 5 draft work, but we picked up Wright in the rule 5 draft and I'm pretty sure that we have to carry him the whole season or return him to the dodgers.

I don't think the Astros have any desire to move Wright. He's only 23, has electric stuff, and could be possibly be moved back to a starter.

lilboytwister99
07-21-2008, 11:05 AM
Wesley Wright, good question. I do also believe as a Rule 5 draft pick that we do have to carry him the whole season. If he was available for trade, Im sure that moron we have for a GM would probably be willing to part with him. I only see a few guys being made available, that being Loretta, Erstad, Wigginton, Valverde, and yes, sadly maybe even Pence. I hope Pence stays, but like I said, our GM thinks he's "Mr. Fix It".

Theres no pitching in the world we can possibly get to help us (this includes Freddy Garcia which we dont even have a chance in landing). The only scenario I see is Uncle Drayton throwing another 40 or so million on the table to land a pitcher (C.C. Sabathia if the Brewers havent signed him by then). I did say in one post to just try and pick up Jon Garland in the offseason and keep your draft picks. The last thing we can afford now is to give up any draft picks.

I say at this point show Loretta, Wigginton, and Valverde the door..... trade wise I mean. The reason I say Valverde is because I like him as a closer and wouldnt mind seeing him compete with a team in contention. Loretta, Im sure there are a few teams out there who wouldnt mind having him. Wigginton, we should never have traded Wheeler for him to begin with.

Yall have a great one!

Blackcar09
07-21-2008, 03:56 PM
We can't lose Valverde though. Its nice to finally know we have a reliable closer. We need to build around him. Maybe trade Sampson for something, and I wouldn't mind parting with Wigginton either.

TheRedMarauder
07-21-2008, 04:03 PM
We can't lose Valverde though. Its nice to finally know we have a reliable closer. We need to build around him.

He's not that reliable.

What does it tells about Wade that he's looking to pugrade the bullpen, saying it's our biggest need, when all our moves in the offseason, except for getting Tejada were geared towards improving our bullpen. Great improvement we made!!!

lawphin2
07-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I did say in one post to just try and pick up Jon Garland in the offseason and keep your draft picks. The last thing we can afford now is to give up any draft picks.

Just to let you know, if the Astros have a worse record than 15 teams then we can't lose our first round pick no matter who we sign.

BTW I want Garland more than Sheets or Sabathia (injuries and money)

IndiansFan337
07-21-2008, 07:19 PM
Every GM always says that they are aggressively pursuing trades that will improve the team. That's the GM's way of saying we want to make moves if we can rip someone off, but we aren't likely to do anything even though we're underachieving & need many changes. My favorite team keeps saying the same thing, yet we have yet to trade Casey Blake, Paul Byrd, Rafael Betancourt, etc.

astro4life
07-21-2008, 07:44 PM
Every GM always says that they are aggressively pursuing trades that will improve the team. That's the GM's way of saying we want to make moves if we can rip someone off, but we aren't likely to do anything even though we're underachieving & need many changes. My favorite team keeps saying the same thing, yet we have yet to trade Casey Blake, Paul Byrd, Rafael Betancourt, etc.

What is Cleveland's price tag for Josh Barfield?

astros1981
07-21-2008, 11:49 PM
He is actively seeking trades alright, on his XBOX 360 game MLB 2K8.

The payers that should be traded are as follows; Erstad, Lorreta, Towles, Bourn, Valverde and I would trade Matsui for an MRI Machine that we have to replace for the fair wear and tear he put on it.

EW and DM need to get in the mindset that we are sellers this year and we need some help with our pitching staff.

McPeak92
07-22-2008, 12:33 AM
i just heard on ESPN that you guys are close to getting Randy Wolf.

native_astro
07-22-2008, 12:34 AM
i just heard on ESPN that you guys are close to getting Randy Wolf.

Yeah I saw that too! I'm not sure about this one because the season is lost and this guy is going to walk after this year anyway.

McPeak92
07-22-2008, 12:35 AM
here is the link

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3499705

astro4life
07-22-2008, 01:05 AM
We can't lose Valverde though. Its nice to finally know we have a reliable closer. We need to build around him.

He did not look too reliable tonight.

astro4life
07-22-2008, 01:19 AM
Is Randy Wolf in any way related to our 26th-round pick this year, southpaw Shane Wolf?

Also, if anybody wants to know here is a list of possibly available relievers. Courtesy of MLBTR.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/06/the-reliever-ma.html

lilboytwister99
07-22-2008, 09:39 AM
He'd probably walk after this season anyways, so why bother. I guess you could trade for him, but this means definitely saying bye bye to at least Loretta, Valverde, and possibly Towles. Trade Wigginton, and I'd be a bit more happy with it lol.

He's a lefty and a starter, which we could definitely use. His season numbers so far arent that good, yet not as bad as they could be. We might get him for a good deal. Might being the key word.

If you trade one, trade em all!

Crzycjunx76
07-22-2008, 04:08 PM
Trade Wigginton, and I'd be a bit more happy with it lol.

Why exactly are you so keen on trading Wigginton for nothing... he is worth more in trade than any of those other guys you listed. He can play 3 infield positions at 3rd base or at 2nd base he would be a well above average offensive player for most teams.... the league average OPS for both those positions is .778 and .748 respectivley and Wiggy sits at .807 for well below league average starting salary. As far as offensive consistincey Wiggington has the 2nd best OBP out of our starters and the third best OPS.

So again why are you trying to trade our most valuable trading chip without a no trade clause away for nothing???
and before you say Tejada is our best offensive trading chip ... Wigginton is in his prime, Tejada is well past his. As for the "important" offensive statistics Wiggington is .04 higher in on base percentage than Tejada, .027 higher in slugging, which adds up to a .067 better OPS than Miguel... to top it off Wiggy has a .26 better BB/K rate than Tejada and.... drumroll please.... Wiggington makes around 10 million less than Tejada... which means among our players without no trade clauses Wiggy is worth more to most teams. Only a team looking for a SS would more intreasted in Tejada... and then only if we ate some of his salary next season.

lilboytwister99
07-22-2008, 04:32 PM
Tejada is way past his prime, I totally agree, and no he isnt our most effective offensive trading chip. I think Tejada was a day late and a dollar short when he joined this year. Had he been traded to us back in 2004 or 2005 whenever he started asking to be traded, maybe we could have done something more in the playoffs.

Anywho, Wigginton is in his prime, but I just didnt like the trade we made for him. Statistically speaking, his numbers are better than the average, which is a good thing to hear especially bout someone on this team this year. I just thought we could have had Mike Lamb at 3rd base. Just my thoughts, though.

If you trade one, trade em all, and start over. Start with Ed Wade and Cooper, and then work your way through the rest of the team. Keep Berkman, and thats all. Get young pitching prospects, and build the team around pitching. We can find offensive pieces here and there Im sure.

Crzycjunx76
07-23-2008, 12:12 AM
I agree we should shop all our players in the majors without no trade clauses right now.. espically our soon to be free agents. If we make it to the offseason with players like Mohler or Loretta still on roster we should offer them arbitration hope they dont accept and then collect the draft picks. Then we can make it clear to our players with no trade clauses that we are building for two seasons down the road when they will all be past their prime(from next offseason) and ask if they would be willing to waive their no trade clauses. Truthfully I do agree, if you are going to rebuild you cannot use half measures this team is too flawed to retool.. without a 40-50 million increase in payroll .. so its time to break out the dynamite.

Of course the first part that needs to be replaced is Uncle Drayton but the last I heard you cannot fire your owner... more the pity.