PDA

View Full Version : O'Neal, Bosh combo may be only certainty for Raptors- USA Today

Bob_at_york
07-15-2008, 10:50 AM
"It's a great move if O'Neal is healthy," says ESPN analyst Hubie Brown. "But that's a helluva 'if.' And they're going to miss the Ford kid, no doubt about that."

The team' star remains Bosh, 24. Last year he averaged 22.3 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 0.9 steals and 1.0 blocks and is just now entering his prime.

"He plays power forward the way George Gervin played the two-guard," Brown says. "He's not demonstrative and he won't knock anybody on his bottom. He's never going to be a brute. But he's smooth and he's got a lot of tools. He's never played with a center who's been double-teamed before, so having O'Neal should open up his game, open up some offensive rebounds for him."

The key for them is developing backcourt depth," Brown says. "Calderon is a helluva player, but what if he gets hurt and they don't re-sign Delfino? Without an experienced backup point guard, they're in trouble."

Says Mitchell, "You can't sign everybody."

One option is Croatian Roko Ukic, a 2005 second-round pick who has been playing in Europe.

Those vying for starting spots include shooting guard Anthony Parker, small forwards Jamario Moon and Jason Kapono. Andrea Bargnani, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2006 draft, should get extensive minutes somewhere, either in a frontcourt rotation with O'Neal and Bosh or spot duty at the three.

But Mitchell warns that it's too early to comment on his team's prospects for 2008-09. "If you start making bold predictions based on what you see on paper, you're one of the dumbest guys walking around," he says. "We don't even have our roster set yet."

Link for the full article: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/raptors/2008-07-14-offseason-report_N.htm

Tom Stone
07-15-2008, 11:09 AM
That's a little crazy to think like that.."if jose go's down"......If any team loses their startimg point gaurd there gonna suffer......

Bob_at_york
07-15-2008, 11:19 AM
That's a little crazy to think like that.."if jose go's down"......If any team loses their startimg point gaurd there gonna suffer......
But teams like the Clips, Blazers, Suns, Sonics, and now the Pacers all have starting calibre back-ups. We do not. It is a valid point by Hubie. I am hoping Roko proves himself worthy.

Mile High Champ
07-15-2008, 11:37 AM
But teams like the Clips, Blazers, Suns, Sonics, and now the Pacers all have starting calibre back-ups. We do not. It is a valid point by Hubie. I am hoping Roko proves himself worthy.

Yeah I would agree with you. I think to only bring Ukic into camp as a backup would be a mistake. I would be very dissapointed if the raps could not adress the need for another pg on the roster. Im not sold on ewing who is on the summer league team. Lucas maybe a possibility.

star
07-15-2008, 11:47 AM
good article, very fair

ya IF jose goes down ... we are in trouble. Roko has NEVER played in the NBA so ya he MIGHT be good with a year or 2 experience ... we need a good backup..... even delfino

Bob_at_york
07-15-2008, 12:00 PM
Yeah I would agree with you. I think to only bring Ukic into camp as a backup would be a mistake. I would be very dissapointed if the raps could not adress the need for another pg on the roster. Im not sold on ewing who is on the summer league team. Lucas maybe a possibility.
Ewing isn't getting a lot of playing time on the summer league team. Makes me wonder if they have already decided about him.

Ragun
07-15-2008, 12:03 PM
I think in Roko's rookie season will be as good as Travis Diener which is a plus.

Cortez
07-15-2008, 12:41 PM
SM even said our roster is set yet
so i think hes hinting on another starting calibre PG
hopefully Livingston

argo
07-15-2008, 12:41 PM

like the article says, "the roster is not set yet."

there's still over three months before the start of the season. BC has stated publicly that he's still looking for a guy at the 1-2 spot.

also, Ukic will take some time to adjust to the nba game, but i think he will be a pleasant suprise.

and if any team loses their starting pg (nash, d.williams, t.parker, c.paul, etc) it would be a huge blow to the team.

RapsFan4Life
07-15-2008, 12:42 PM
straight up, since delfino is not going to be signed i'll put bosh on PG, he has long step and a quick spin he can easily bring the ball up the floor, driving into the lane against perimeter defense would be the tough part, POST THEM UP back them down and wait for doubles, he is an amazing passer out of the post .... Bryan listen to me !

Master P
07-15-2008, 01:11 PM
so if the raptors resign delfino they aren't in trouble if calderon goes down? am i missing something?? i realize delfino played a bit of point-forward on the floor with juan dixon last year, but that line-up sucked. it wouldn't win many games in the nba; therefore, the raptors would still be in trouble.

everyone is right...if injuries happen to key players you are in trouble. talk about the spurs again way back when david robinson went down for the year. they became the worst team in the nba, then got the number one pick (duncan) and won the title shortly after.

mpickup
07-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Sam says the starting SG/SF jobs are up for grabs.
I personally hope that Kapono beats out Moon for the starting SF job, as he would be better catching the pitch-outs on double teams from Bosh and J.O.

And regardless of who starts, I hope to see a much tighter rotation this year.
3 bigs - Bosh, Jermaine & Bargnani (garbage time for Hump or Jawai)
3 wings - AP, Kapono & Moon (Joey & Hassan can battle for the leftovers)
2 PGs - Jose playing into the high 30's in MPG, and Roko picking up the rest.

I know on long road trips, or nights when people get into foul trouble this is all out the window, but it's a good starting point.

mariotubes
07-15-2008, 02:24 PM
straight up, since delfino is not going to be signed i'll put bosh on PG, he has long step and a quick spin he can easily bring the ball up the floor, driving into the lane against perimeter defense would be the tough part, POST THEM UP back them down and wait for doubles, he is an amazing passer out of the post .... Bryan listen to me !

no... just no

T.O-Fan
07-15-2008, 02:36 PM
i really think ukic can be a great backup and he can be very capable of the starting job in 3 years same as calderon..i realy think that so im not worried about the backup job

Dragan
07-15-2008, 02:43 PM
l love mitchell.

BTW how as Hubee Brown even consider Delphino as a backup PG?

blujaysrock
07-15-2008, 02:55 PM
bosh puts up 22 - 9 and JO puts up 15-11 that would be great.

pebloemer
07-15-2008, 03:05 PM
37 and 20 from your PF and C starters would be nice. Hopefully another 10 and 5 from Bargnani, but that is up to him.

argo
07-15-2008, 03:26 PM

please tell me this is a joke..

_Sn1P3r_
07-17-2008, 10:26 AM

I agree with what you said. Roko has pressure on him to do well backing up Jose.

ink
07-17-2008, 11:22 AM

I've said from the beginning that we're vulnerable at PG if we traded one of our PG's without obtaining an experienced PG to back him up. I'm still holding out hope that Colangelo does that. And I'm not talking about another Derrick Martin.

JermanJaysFan
07-20-2008, 09:40 AM
Not much we as Raptors fans don't know, but it is interesting to hear an outsiders perspective about the Raps situation. Here are some quotes:

Although the Toronto Raptors roster remains in flux, this is certain: newly acquired Jermaine O'Neal has no qualms about playing center alongside incumbent power forward Chris Bosh, and Jose Calderon will start at point guard.
"Everything else is wide open," says coach Sam Mitchell.

"We know he's motivated and determined right now," Colangelo says. "He's poised to have a breakout year. The health concerns are there, but my medical team is fairly conservative and they have given him the green light. He's doing everything he can to get himself ready for the season."

The team' star remains Bosh, 24. Last year he averaged 22.3 points, 8.7 rebounds, 2.6 assists, 0.9 steals and 1.0 blocks and is just now entering his prime.

"He plays power forward the way George Gervin played the two-guard," [Hubie] Brown says. "He's not demonstrative and he won't knock anybody on his bottom. He's never going to be a brute. But he's smooth and he's got a lot of tools. He's never played with a center who's been double-teamed before, so having O'Neal should open up his game, open up some offensive rebounds for him."

And my favourite, another great Smitch quote:

But Mitchell warns that it's too early to comment on his team's prospects for 2008-09. "If you start making bold predictions based on what you see on paper, you're one of the dumbest guys walking around," he says. "We don't even have our roster set yet."

USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/raptors/2008-07-14-offseason-report_N.htm)

Tom Stone
07-20-2008, 11:05 AM

Roko is gonna be great for us.....I gaurntee it.....I know you and most people need to see it happen before you believe it.....By I have a record of being right 99% of time.....and you say teams like pacers have great point gaurds Jamual and t.j are barley starters...portland's new point gaurd looks more like a scoreing gaurd, and clips don't have a starting back up either....and like sam said we can't sign everybody......In closing.....watch out for Roko uric the next big point gaurd of the NBA.

Bob_at_york
07-20-2008, 11:13 AM
Roko is gonna be great for us.....I gaurntee it.....I know you and most people need to see it happen before you believe it.....By I have a record of being right 99% of time.....and you say teams like pacers have great point gaurds Jamual and t.j are barley starters...portland's new point gaurd looks more like a scoreing gaurd, and clips don't have a starting back up either....and like sam said we can't sign everybody......In closing.....watch out for Roko uric the next big point gaurd of the NBA.
I also believe that Roko is going to be a great NBA point guard, I just don't believe that the transition will be easy. I think Roko's first season will be a hard one and we need to have a good starting calibre PG as the back-up. Now speaking about the Clips, I can't remember if I was taking into account Livingston (who I forgot they didn't give a QO to) or if I was just talking about Brevin Knight who is a solid back-up who can put up good numbers as a starter.

Also, your comment about the pacers is amazing, TJ is barely a starter? Are you kidding me? If you are right about never being wrong, well... I am sorry but I think you just made your first mistake because I think he is going to prove you wrong this year (Also, I wasn't including Tinsley in the Pacers situation, I was thinking of Jack).

Tom Stone
07-20-2008, 11:14 AM
Man it is tough to hear all these ignorant opinion's .....People must not watch european ball.....If you followed Roko like I have you would know this guys ready....Were gonna be having some nights were we'll sit calderon more because he'll have it goin on.....most people have to see it happen before they believe....I have a gift....The people in the mens league I play in, think I'm a profit.....I tell them , I'm just not dumb

Tom Stone
07-20-2008, 11:21 AM
I also believe that Roko is going to be a great NBA point guard, I just don't believe that the transition will be easy. I think Roko's first season will be a hard one and we need to have a good starting calibre PG as the back-up. Now speaking about the Clips, I can't remember if I was taking into account Livingston (who I forgot they didn't give a QO to) or if I was just talking about Brevin Knight who is a solid back-up who can put up good numbers as a starter.

Also, your comment about the pacers is amazing, TJ is barely a starter? Are you kidding me? If you are right about never being wrong, well... I am sorry but I think you just made your first mistake because I think he is going to prove you wrong this year (Also, I wasn't including Tinsley in the Pacers situation, I was thinking of Jack).
I give you this , I think t.j will play much better away from the shadow of Calderon...But there was so many nights I questioned t.j's overall thinking ability....In the right situation he might be an starter....but Jack doesn't make people better he's more of a scorer too.

Tblaze
07-20-2008, 11:55 AM
I give you this , I think t.j will play much better away from the shadow of Calderon...But there was so many nights I questioned t.j's overall thinking ability....In the right situation he might be an starter....but Jack doesn't make people better he's more of a scorer too.

since when can't starting caliber pgs be scorers???

A pg might be a scorer yes, but he's still a pg. And if he's a good one, he's a starting caliber PG.

Bob_at_york
07-20-2008, 12:03 PM
Man it is tough to hear all these ignorant opinion's .....People must not watch european ball.....If you followed Roko like I have you would know this guys ready....Were gonna be having some nights were we'll sit calderon more because he'll have it goin on.....
I followed box scores and such as I was one of the biggest Roko fans on PSD but no I don't watch games from Europe. I am judging from everything I have seen and from what I have seen happens when rookies come into the league. Using the Crotia/Canada game as an example, Roko played well, pushing the tempo, rebounding and such but overall he didn't distinguish himself in the game. I didn't watch the game against Germany but I believe he was 0-for with one assist in 20 minutes. Also not impressive and the Germans don't exactly have NBA-calibre guards.

most people have to see it happen before they believe....I have a gift....The people in the mens league I play in, think I'm a profit.....I tell them , I'm just not dumb
I believe you used the wrong word, I think you meant to use the word: PROPHET: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prophet

Master P
07-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Roko will be solid not doubt. Everyones reports that he's more ready to come over to the nba than calderon was. what do i expect then? i expect a slightly better shot than calderon's first year, but the same tendency to go through periods of turning the ball over. if people remember back to jose's first year he'd play real solid (save his weak shot at the time) for a good stretch of the game and then suddenly turn the ball over 3 straight times down the floor.

Jwizel_hitshrs
07-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Ok ok... i am SURE that BC isn't blind to the fact that we could use another PG. Do you not think he is weighing all options? Trying his best to put out a formidable roster? Give BC credit, has he not (over all these years as being a NBA GM) proven that he is a better than average judge of talent? (example: Steve Nash NBA 2 time mvp???!!! taken 15th overall) He will working something out!
As for the constant downplay and dismissal of Canadian teams by american announcers, i think its a total crock! I have read articles from Orlando saying that (last year) saying the raps are falling apart and TJ Ford wants out and is coming to Orlando. Nothing against ANY American sport fans; however, american ANNOUNCERS need to take a real look at Canadian teams before slammin/puttin them down. There are 15+ teams in each league (MLB,NBA,NHL) and that are american that deserved to be slammed more so than the Canadian teams.
Sorry just venting, never have like american announcers period!!!

clehmun
07-20-2008, 01:42 PM
most people have to see it happen before they believe....I have a gift....The people in the mens league I play in, think I'm a profit.....I tell them , I'm just not dumb

arrogance is not a gift.

nstojic
07-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Man it is tough to hear all these ignorant opinion's .....People must not watch european ball.....If you followed Roko like I have you would know this guys ready....Were gonna be having some nights were we'll sit calderon more because he'll have it goin on.....most people have to see it happen before they believe....I have a gift....The people in the mens league I play in, think I'm a profit.....I tell them , I'm just not dumb

neither is grammar... it's 'prophet'..