PDA

View Full Version : Report: Ailing Ginobili named to Argentina Olympic team

phlp_bj
07-19-2008, 09:51 PM
In a move the San Antonio Spurs expected but probably won't be too happy about, Manu Ginobili was named to the Argentina Olympic team on Friday, according to the San Antonio Express-News.

San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich said last month that Ginobili should "definitely not" play in the Olympics if his sprained left ankle, which he injured early in the playoffs, doesn't improve.

Ginobili returned to Argentina earlier this month and has remained in daily contact with Popovich, according to the newspaper. The guard told Popovich he has had "zero pain" in the ankle.

"I had been playing more the last few days and it had improved," said Ginobili, who has been playing more in team practices. "It feels great, and that makes me very happy."

Ginobili joins the 12-man roster as Argentina looks to defend the gold medal it won in 2004. The team opens play against Lithuania

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/olybb/news/story?id=3496913

MiamiHeat
07-19-2008, 09:52 PM
he decided to go lol,
spurs wont be happy

stevefrancis
07-19-2008, 10:19 PM
let him play you guys have no problem with wade playing and he was injured all of last season and the team sucked. its not like he's played a long time without getting inured. same with kobe holding of his wrist injury till after the olympics but his is hype. leave manu and yao alone let them play for their countries.

MiamiHeat
07-19-2008, 10:21 PM
let him play you guys have no problem with wade playing and he was injured all of last season and the team sucked. its not like he's played a long time without getting inured. same with kobe holding of his wrist injury till after the olympics but his is hype. leave manu and yao alone let them play for their countries.

wtf?:confused: what does wade have to with this?
and i didnt say he shouldnt play, i just said spurs wont be happy because they said they didnt want him to play so dont take it out on the heat

Joshtd1
07-19-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't blame Manu for playing..I mean its an honor to play for your country, and the competitor he is, I was pretty sure he was going to play no matter what. However Im just really hoping he is 100% like he says he is, because if he aggrivates his injury...:sigh:

dodie53
07-19-2008, 10:40 PM
great move Manu!

#1Mavericksfan
07-20-2008, 02:47 AM
Greg Popovich is not gonna like this at all.

STAT32
07-20-2008, 02:50 AM
Personally I think Manu is lying about the severity of his ankle. If it was still bothering him up until recently especially considering how long it's been then it is definently more serious then he is letting on.

Cover up anybody?

NYMets27
07-20-2008, 03:05 AM
I don't blame Manu for playing..I mean its an honor to play for your country, and the competitor he is, I was pretty sure he was going to play no matter what. However Im just really hoping he is 100% like he says he is, because if he aggrivates his injury...:sigh:

right on the money if u were one of the best in the u.s. 4 ure job would u wanna b able 2 represent ure country in like a face off of other countries....lol like a mcdonalds fry cooker faceoff lol.....but in all seriousness manu the best aregentian over here so i think its an honer 4 him screw et popvich

innovator
07-20-2008, 03:21 AM
thats what pride for the country means
what does manu care if popovich doesnt like it? popovich is only his coach in the nba not his life coach.
many players are already doing it cuz they really want to play for their country, examples are
yao ming - china
dwyane wade - usa
kobe bryant - usa
and now
manu - argentina

Beno7500
07-20-2008, 03:41 AM
I guess flopping takes a tole on your body if he is ailing.