PDA

View Full Version : City of Phoenix. Big Market or not?

FreedomReigns
07-19-2008, 07:48 PM
This seems to be an area of debate worth tackling. Is the Phoenix-Metro area large enough to lure one of the elite free-agents in 2010-2011? Specifically Lebron James.

Without digging up facts im willing to bet that Phoenix and it's surrounding communities is in the top 10 most populated areas for the U.S. That's a pretty big market but not the reason this is up for debate. I think a few of the biggest problems are team marketing and local sports coverage.

Sports coverage is lame around here. Sure you can get the rundown via news outlets but it lacks flair and credibility. Big city markets like New York put the pressure on the players through media. If you don't succeed in the Big Apple the media crucifies you. Players such as Nash and Amare would be All-NBA in a market like New York, every year! Lebron James will one day own that place.

New York's population is rediculously large compared to any other city in the U.S., probably 8 times larger than Phoenix. That translates into boat-loads of cash for the Nike/Lebron monster. Without pulling off a math miracle, assume New York has a population of around 9 million or so. Now, factor in New York's bling factor and the need for millions of teenagers and 20 somethings to wear Lebron's products. Shoes, Jersey's, jock straps. New York is style, bling and all that is sacred in hip-hop. Phoenix is a knock off at the swap meet, comparably. Sorry but it's the truth.

Don't get me wrong now. I'd personally love to see Stat and Lebron on the same squad. Domintaion comes to mind when I look at the possibilites. Truth is, Lebron will go where he can be promoted as the greatest player of all time. Even if it means he will never hoist the championship trophy over his head.

STAT32
07-19-2008, 08:10 PM
Don't get me wrong now. I'd personally love to see Stat and Lebron on the same squad. Domintaion comes to mind when I look at the possibilites. Truth is, Lebron will go where he can be promoted as the greatest player of all time. Even if it means he will never hoist the championship trophy over his head.

Then he will never be promoted as the greatest player of all time.

Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the country behind only New York, Los Angeles,Chicago, and Houston. The Phoenix alone contains 1.5 million people while the metropolitan area (The Valley) contains close to 4.5 million people. That's relatively small when you compare it to New York or LA but by no means are we a small market team.

FreedomReigns
07-19-2008, 08:18 PM

Then he will never be promoted as the greatest player of all time.

Phoenix is the 5th largest city in the country behind only New York, Los Angeles,Chicago, and Houston. The Phoenix alone contains 1.5 million people while the metropolitan area (The Valley) contains close to 4.5 million people. That's relatively small when you compare it to New York or LA but by no means are we a small market team.

What I mean't is the odds are in his favor that people will percieve him while actively playing, as the greatest. Championships should be given credit to the team not the player. So in the chance that Lebron is one day a Knick, he will then be promoted as the greatest. That's how the media works. You don't believe the question, "Is Lebron James the greatest player ever", won't eventually be asked? Even if he doesn't win a championship? I bet it will be.

STAT32
07-19-2008, 08:45 PM
No it won't, how can you even compare a player that hasn't won a title to one who has. For example the argument Lebron is better than MJ won't hold water due to the fact that he has no titles and no MVP's under his belt as of yet.

FreedomReigns
07-19-2008, 08:55 PM
No it won't, how can you even compare a player that hasn't won a title to one who has. For example the argument Lebron is better than MJ won't hold water due to the fact that he has no titles and no MVP's under his belt as of yet.

Slow down man. Im not saying that Lebron is the greatest nor am I saying that he is greater than Jordan. Im just saying that the argument will be there no matter how rediculous it seems. That's the way the media works.

STAT32
07-19-2008, 08:56 PM
That's why the NBA sucks. Teams like us, because we aren't big market don't win titles becuase no free agents want to come here no matter how good our team would become. If Lebron came here he would win a title I guarantee that.

FreedomReigns
07-19-2008, 09:37 PM
Im not saying the Suns won't attract the NBA's elite and we shouldn't look at it that way.

The Suns have as good of a chance as any team of attracting players like Wade, Kobe, Bosh, etc. If your thinking to yourself how can they snag Kobe and not Lebron, it's easy.

Lebron will be in his prime come 2011/2012. Kobe will be in the latter years. Kobe will still draw big money in free agency but the potential money- marketing won't be as available to him. Kobe will still have his endorsements but not to the extreme that Lebron will. Local promotions in Phoenix plus what he already has in endorsements from the likes of Nike should be enough to draw a player such as Kobe. It's just a matter of what the Suns will be offering.

*Superman*
07-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Naw

Ramon Nivar
07-19-2008, 11:43 PM
Phoenix isn't a big market at all, especially for sports. We are great at attracting sports figures and events but for some reason we are not a big market.

sunschamp
07-20-2008, 03:10 AM
Phoenix isn't a big market at all, especially for sports. We are great at attracting sports figures and events but for some reason we are not a big market.

its because the only championship we have won is in baseball.

SUNSFAN4EVER
07-20-2008, 05:17 AM
http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/2006/0213/sports_overextend/2.html

This link considers PHX the second most overextended sports city... Check it out! We're 2nd to Tampa.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/08/sports-atlanta-seattle-biz-sports_cx_tvr_af_0408sportsmisery_slide_5.html?thi sSpeed=30000

This link calls PHX the 4th most miserable sports city... We don't win championships (except for Rattlers, D'backs and the Mercury {maybe we're on to something here}...) oh and we don't sign great free agents, and players that are aging and far removed from their prime don't count!!!! (Emmit, Kurt, Owen Nolan, Roenick's 2nd stint, Todd Stottlemyre, etc.) The only player that I remember being excited for after signing was Penny, and we know what happened after that. We must admit Steve Nash wasn't supposed to be this GREAT! We should be thankful he has been, or else we'd rank higher up on the miserable sports cities page.

To finish off... Phoenix is a big city, but that doesn't mean we're a big sports market. LeBron will go to NY (Nets, or Knicks), and we'll be praying that Amare sticks around, when other teams start throwing wads of money and marketibility at him. I hate sounding negative, but I would like to see this change soon!!!!
The city of Phoenix deserves better, especially since we've had to put up with 20 years of Cardinal Football!

chadillachembre
07-20-2008, 11:09 AM
phoenix is a huge destination place. the fact its a warm weather town gives them an advantage over many teams to many players. the fact that the city has been booming for the last 10yrs phx is a highly desired area to live. in no way is phx a small market team

thephoenixson28
07-20-2008, 11:28 AM
Ok maybe we don't sign good free agents but it doesn't mean we don't attract all stars like kg wanted to come here last year and so did kobe grant hill came for a small paycheck and shaq was happy that he got traded to phoenix and just cuz we havnt won a championship yet doesn't mean that our city sucks just you watch once we get it this year nba you better watch out there is going to be a new dynasty in town

rgluch74
07-20-2008, 09:46 PM
Ok maybe we don't sign good free agents but it doesn't mean we don't attract all stars like kg wanted to come here last year and so did kobe grant hill came for a small paycheck and shaq was happy that he got traded to phoenix and just cuz we havnt won a championship yet doesn't mean that our city sucks just you watch once we get it this year nba you better watch out there is going to be a new dynasty in town

step away from the Kool-aid. Shaq was happy to get out of the misery that was the Miami Heat last year, so I don't think you can put him on that list really. As for the Suns becoming the new dynasty in town... um how? WE HAVE NO MONEY TO LURE ANY TOP FREE AGENTS!!

rgluch74
07-20-2008, 09:50 PM
oh, and I have no idea why we aren't a big market team. We are the 5th largest metro area in the nation. I think we just have a reputation for being a small market. We are not a major hub like LA, New York, or Chicago. We will always play second fiddle to those markets. Once we have a championship under our belt, then we will compete a lot better with everyone else in the FA market. (ie. Brent Barry would have probably signed with us if we already had a banner hanging from the rafters at US Airways Arena)

Rome
07-21-2008, 01:27 AM
Were a big enough market to land d wade or a carmelo somebody along those lines. Bron bron needs to play and in NY or la. As long as were winning we have a chance to land a superstar type of player. But not lebron. Its the look good and lose then look bad and win kinda deal. If that makes sense.

STAT32
07-21-2008, 01:45 AM
No I hear ya. DWade would be insane here in Phoenix.

thephoenixson28
07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
step away from the Kool-aid. Shaq was happy to get out of the misery that was the Miami Heat last year, so I don't think you can put him on that list really. As for the Suns becoming the new dynasty in town... um how? WE HAVE NO MONEY TO LURE ANY TOP FREE AGENTS!!

What are you talking about first of all shaq was saying that this was the best team that he played for period and we will have money for 2010 whether we don't get lebron there is going to be good free agents available to pair up amare and that's when the dynasty begins so top that

chadillachembre
07-21-2008, 02:52 PM
why does any one think we have a small market?

STAT32
07-21-2008, 02:54 PM
^^^ Technically, as far as like endorsements go we are a small market. But population wise we are the 5th largest market. I think once we wing a title the endorsement part of it will come.

chadillachembre
07-21-2008, 03:01 PM
^^^ Technically, as far as like endorsements go we are a small market. But population wise we are the 5th largest market. I think once we wing a title the endorsement part of it will come.

endorsments? nash has a deal with nike. No big man in nike history has ever signed a bigger contract with nike than amare. both of those guys have there own shoes. even marion had his own national commercial a year or two ago. steve nash's name was dropped in the nelly furtado song. amare was on a nick jr show and wheel of fortune a few times. nash is almost always on every nba commercial if theyre showing 5 or more players. shaq is on vitamin water and those hot/cold patches.... until this last season the suns were the most televised team in the nba for 3 years straight. theyve been on the covers of many natl magazines the last few years as well. are those the things you guys are talkin about?

STAT32
07-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Then I dunno why we're considered small market chad. You just completely switched my entire opinion on the matter with that one post.

Good job lol.

JPHX
07-21-2008, 03:38 PM
http://www.bizjournals.com/specials/2006/0213/sports_overextend/2.html

This link considers PHX the second most overextended sports city... Check it out! We're 2nd to Tampa.

http://www.forbes.com/2008/04/08/sports-atlanta-seattle-biz-sports_cx_tvr_af_0408sportsmisery_slide_5.html?thi sSpeed=30000

This link calls PHX the 4th most miserable sports city... We don't win championships (except for Rattlers, D'backs and the Mercury {maybe we're on to something here}...) oh and we don't sign great free agents, and players that are aging and far removed from their prime don't count!!!! (Emmit, Kurt, Owen Nolan, Roenick's 2nd stint, Todd Stottlemyre, etc.) The only player that I remember being excited for after signing was Penny, and we know what happened after that. We must admit Steve Nash wasn't supposed to be this GREAT! We should be thankful he has been, or else we'd rank higher up on the miserable sports cities page.

To finish off... Phoenix is a big city, but that doesn't mean we're a big sports market. LeBron will go to NY (Nets, or Knicks), and we'll be praying that Amare sticks around, when other teams start throwing wads of money and marketibility at him. I hate sounding negative, but I would like to see this change soon!!!!
The city of Phoenix deserves better, especially since we've had to put up with 20 years of Cardinal Football!

because arizona is where you go to retire. or where old athletes go to try to salvage whats left of there career.

Rome
07-21-2008, 04:23 PM
Then I dunno why we're considered small market chad. You just completely switched my entire opinion on the matter with that one post.

Good job lol.

Lol me too. And its true. The fact of the matter is we need to win a championship this year and then more superstar players would look to come here. Say by 2010 we land a player like d wade and have him team up with stat with goran running the show,rolo at C and Tucker at the wing with DJ backin up wade and a couple of solid players that's a young team with a good chance of staying at the top for a while. But that's just happy thinking haha.