PDA

View Full Version : Delonte West Negotiations

Sbank
07-19-2008, 03:49 PM
The Cavaliers are in negotiations to re-sign restricted free agent Delonte West.
Cleveland tendered West a $2.76 million qualifying contract offer, and so far no other team has offered more.

Rotoworld (http://rotoworld.com/content/clubhouse_news.aspx?sport=NBA&majteam=CLE)
Good news that we have West back for next year.

EdTheRevelator
07-19-2008, 03:52 PM
So if we tendered him at 2.76, and no one matches, then theoretically we could refuse to sign him for anything more, correct?

I'm sure this won't happen, as it would piss him off, but I just don't want to overpay for this guy. He's a decent backup, but iffy as a starter.

monster_mash
07-19-2008, 03:55 PM
If and when you do sign Delonte, that will pretty much wrap up the Cavs offseason.

EdTheRevelator
07-19-2008, 03:56 PM
If and when you do sign Delonte, that will pretty much wrap up the Cavs offseason.

So true. Danny Ferry ...:mad:

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-19-2008, 04:10 PM
I guess its the right thing to do I mean I would hate to come out of this off-season only getting worst.

Sbank
07-19-2008, 04:40 PM

For signing people were done after we sign Robert “Tractor” Traylor. I do see us looking to try and make a move in a trade though some time in the off season if the right deal comes along.

Barring an injury, they plan on adding veteran big man Robert “Tractor” Traylor, who is playing on Cleveland’s summer league team on a tryout basis.

Chronicle-Telegram (http://www.chroniclet.com/2008/07/19/cavaliers-turn-their-attention-to-re-signing-delonte-west_122/)

AMC31
07-20-2008, 02:27 AM
Ferry is a busy man in the offseason, keep a legally deaf player, draft a "Hicky", sign a Boobie, sign a Traylor, busy guy...

IndiansFan337
07-20-2008, 02:32 AM
West will sign for more than that tender.....And hopefully we don't overpay him in doing so....

Sbank
07-20-2008, 02:47 AM
West will sign for more than that tender.....And hopefully we don't overpay him in doing so....

If no other team bids on him we be fine. Last year he made $1.89 million. It would be a pay raise for him for $2.76 million.

monster_mash
07-20-2008, 09:43 AM
I wouldn't be suprised of deal similar to the one Dooling will be getting from orlando/new jersey...a 2yr 7mil or 3yr 10mil.. As for "tractor" Traylor..I'm ok with that signing. Experience and a locker room presence.

IndiansFan337
07-23-2008, 01:41 PM
Restricted free-agent Delonte West has drawn interest from around the league but has yet to sign an offer sheet. Other teams calculate that the Cavs will merely match any such offer sheet that West signs.

The Cavs and West continue to negotiate but sources say the two sides are not close to an agreement and some sign-and-trade scenarios have been discussed. The Cavs do want to bring West back.

If talks do not produce a long-term contract, West has the option of accepting the Cavs' qualifying offer of $2.76 million and then becoming an unrestricted free-agent after this coming season.
R e a l G M .com

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-23-2008, 02:08 PM
R e a l G M .com

I think it would be good if he took the 1 year deal. My reason being because I am not really sold on him being our starting PG. He certainly is a good option but I would like to see if others open up.

NickChrisless
07-23-2008, 03:09 PM
Regardless, this should all work out much better than the Eric Snow idea. Granted he helped, provided leadership, etc... but he became a liability on the offensive end, and the contract hurt us more and more as he got older. I liked Delonte's play, I was big on him at the beginning of the 07-08 season with Seattle ... seems like there's something about noticing players in Seattle before they came to Cleveland (Flip Murray). Looks like I won't have to worry about that in the future...

EdTheRevelator
07-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Regardless, this should all work out much better than the Eric Snow idea. Granted he helped, provided leadership, etc... but he became a liability on the offensive end, and the contract hurt us more and more as he got older. I liked Delonte's play, I was big on him at the beginning of the 07-08 season with Seattle ... seems like there's something about noticing players in Seattle before they came to Cleveland (Flip Murray). Looks like I won't have to worry about that in the future...

What was the Eric Snow idea?

And I really hope we don't overpay for him just because he's our best option at PG.

infamous
07-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Ferry is a busy man in the offseason, keep a legally deaf player, draft a "Hicky", sign a Boobie, sign a Traylor, busy guy...

:laugh::laugh:

NickChrisless
07-23-2008, 11:46 PM
What was the Eric Snow idea?

Whatever contract we gave him that had him making what he was making this year ... the point was that his age and effectiveness wasn't worth the tail end of that lengthy and now plaguing contract.

West is young, can score, and is an above average option.

Shieldsz
07-24-2008, 01:35 AM
I wonder if you guys would be at all willing to trade Delonte + schtuff to the sixers for Andre Miller. He fits well with the sixers, and if I am not mistaken you guys wanted Andre Millers at the deadline last year.

EdTheRevelator
07-24-2008, 03:24 AM
I wonder if you guys would be at all willing to trade Delonte + schtuff to the sixers for Andre Miller. He fits well with the sixers, and if I am not mistaken you guys wanted Andre Millers at the deadline last year.

We'd be interested, if you can define "schtuff." Delonte West is definitely not untouchable, especially for an upgrade at PG.

gambino6778
07-24-2008, 07:41 AM
Whatever contract we gave him that had him making what he was making this year ... the point was that his age and effectiveness wasn't worth the tail end of that lengthy and now plaguing contract.

West is young, can score, and is an above average option.

E.Snow's contract was actually signed when he was with the 76ers. They gave him the horrible contract, but we traded for it. However, we were able to unload the monster deal Paxson signed Kevin Ollie too in that trade. Overall, we got the better end of that trade.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-24-2008, 12:59 PM

I would love to get Andre Miller again. I doubt the Sixers would break the team up though, or are they wanting to trade Miller?

IndiansFan337
07-24-2008, 02:53 PM
I would love to get Andre Miller again. I doubt the Sixers would break the team up though, or are they wanting to trade Miller?

No, they're looking to contend, after signing Brand. They aren't looking to now take a step back after taking one forward.

monster_mash
07-24-2008, 05:09 PM
If Delonte is traded....we had better be getting a PG in return..Or Danny better have a trick up his sleeve.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-24-2008, 05:27 PM
If Delonte is traded....we had better be getting a PG in return..Or Danny better have a trick up his sleeve.

I doubt he gets traded.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-24-2008, 05:28 PM
No, they're looking to contend, after signing Brand. They aren't looking to now take a step back after taking one forward.

I figured that Oh well.

monster_mash
07-24-2008, 05:32 PM
I doubt he gets traded.

unless he and his agent are asking 4 ridiculous $$...I agree

Westbrook36
07-24-2008, 05:48 PM
He makes 10m Already(Miller) Next year he might leave Philly tho FA

monster_mash
07-24-2008, 05:51 PM
what would you want in return for delonte?

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-24-2008, 06:14 PM

Definitely a PG that can log major minutes. I don't know other then that haven't really thought about it.

NickChrisless
07-24-2008, 06:33 PM
yeah def. a PG... Delonte is our solution at PG right now, kind of the best available option, you take that away, we need the replacement.

P.S. - I'm aware of Breast Gibson, but we all know it's not a solid idea to him alone.

EdTheRevelator
07-24-2008, 06:34 PM

Somebody better than him.

monster_mash
07-24-2008, 06:40 PM
west/AV/Damon for bibby and a pick.

bibby is a free agent nxt yr.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-24-2008, 07:02 PM

Bibby isn't even an upgrade anymore in my opinion.

Sbank
07-24-2008, 07:23 PM

A true point guard that is better then West.

JWalk126
07-25-2008, 02:34 AM
Dynamo Moscow offered West 10 million dollars for 2 seasons

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-25-2008, 02:38 AM
Dynamo Moscow offered West 10 million dollars for 2 seasons

I really don't want us to match 5+million per year I don't think he is worth it..

Talm
07-25-2008, 04:06 AM
5 mil a year would be ok with me... No matter what it won't be a terrible contract on our roster, and more importantly us not resigning West right now is far more damaging than over-paying him. We have 0 options at point right now without him, which is even slightly worse than when we had Hughes at point. Besides, West is young and still hasn't reached his ceiling. He could develop into a decent floor general for the Cavs this season, and a MLE isn't too much of a gamble to find out if he can do it. A 2 year deal would also make him an expiring contract next season, giving us even more flexibility going into LeBron's (potential) last season with the Cavs.

BosoxPapi61
07-25-2008, 07:19 AM
Delonte is considering a two year 10 mil deal overseas!

IndiansFan337
07-25-2008, 10:46 AM

You can't complete S&T with other players going from the team who is S&T someone. I don't know exactly how to say it, but that doesn't seem too clear. :p

Basically if we S&T West, we have to ship him out on his own. We can't include others (such as AV or Jones) in a trade to match a salary from another team (such as Bibby). Hopefully that clarifies it a little bit for some of you.

IndiansFan337
07-25-2008, 11:58 AM
Cavaliers restricted free agent Delonte West is considering a two-year, $10 million contract offer from Dynamo Moscow.
This is a groundbreaking summer for European basketball -- West isn't sure to accept the offer, but most restricted free agents are at least pondering the possibilities of playing overseas. So far the Cavaliers have only offered West a $2.76 million qualifying offer, which would make him an unrestricted free agent next season. His departure would be tough for the Cavs to absorb, since they're not exactly stacked at PG.
Rotoworld.com

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-25-2008, 12:18 PM
5 mil a year would be ok with me... No matter what it won't be a terrible contract on our roster, and more importantly us not resigning West right now is far more damaging than over-paying him. We have 0 options at point right now without him, which is even slightly worse than when we had Hughes at point. Besides, West is young and still hasn't reached his ceiling. He could develop into a decent floor general for the Cavs this season, and a MLE isn't too much of a gamble to find out if he can do it. A 2 year deal would also make him an expiring contract next season, giving us even more flexibility going into LeBron's (potential) last season with the Cavs.

That is a good point I don't think it would be all that bad if we signed him for a MLE.

IndiansFan337
07-25-2008, 04:32 PM
That is a good point I don't think it would be all that bad if we signed him for a MLE.

I sure hope we don't give him the full MLE.

That will further inflate our payroll & he's not worth that kind of salary in the NBA.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-25-2008, 04:37 PM
I sure hope we don't give him the full MLE.

That will further inflate our payroll & he's not worth that kind of salary in the NBA.

With Damon and Gibson as are other options I don't really know what Ferry should do. I agree with you that its too much but then I think wow we aren't very set at the pg spot without him.

monster_mash
07-25-2008, 05:16 PM
You can't complete S&T with other players going from the team who is S&T someone. I don't know exactly how to say it, but that doesn't seem too clear. :p

Basically if we S&T West, we have to ship him out on his own. We can't include others (such as AV or Jones) in a trade to match a salary from another team (such as Bibby). Hopefully that clarifies it a little bit for some of you.

I get it. Makes total sense. Thanks for the knowledge. On to the Moscow offer. It's Moscow though..Russia..it's not exactly Athens. 5 million is too much for my blood. He is obviously wants more than Gibson because he starts. Fair on his side. Andy makes 5.7 and doesnt start. Bigs tend to cost more anyway..Sasha and Wally (D Brown last yr) play musical chairs with the starting SG spot in Mike Browns line-ups. We all know Wally is overpaid. Sasha is @ 4.5m and I think I could live with some thing btween 4 n 4.5

x_notorious
07-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Cavaliers restricted free agent Delonte West is considering a two-year, $10 million contract offer from Dynamo Moscow. This is a groundbreaking summer for European basketball -- West isn't sure to accept the offer, but most restricted free agents are at least pondering the possibilities of playing overseas. So far the Cavaliers have only offered West a $2.76 million qualifying offer, which would make him an unrestricted free agent next season. His departure would be tough for the Cavs to absorb, since they're not exactly stacked at PG.

rotoworld

monster_mash
07-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Cleveland newspapers are reporting the the Moscow offer to West is Flase. Also states the Cavs are not offereing anymore than they did with Gibson. Should get interesting

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-26-2008, 02:24 PM
Cleveland newspapers are reporting the the Moscow offer to West is Flase. Also states the Cavs are not offereing anymore than they did with Gibson. Should get interesting

So Ferry is calling the bluff, nice.

EdTheRevelator
07-26-2008, 02:36 PM

Which newspapers? I just read an article in The Plain Dealer today saying he was considering it.

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/07/foreign_affair_cavs_west_consi.html

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-26-2008, 02:45 PM
Which newspapers? I just read an article in The Plain Dealer today saying he was considering it.

http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/07/foreign_affair_cavs_west_consi.html

I just read that as well..I don't think he is really saying yes/no just considering it like you said..

monster_mash
07-26-2008, 05:08 PM
I just read that as well..I don't think he is really saying yes/no just considering it like you said..

This is from Bob Finnan on news-herald.com

For those scoffing at the notion of top NBA players defecting to Europe, wake up.
With the euro being so strong and the U.S. dollar sagging miserably, notable players such as Josh Childress and Bostjan Nachbar have already begun their sojourn overseas.
However, Cavaliers point guard Delonte West probably won't be joining them. An Internet report saying he received a lucrative offer from Dynamo Moscow in Russia is false.
Nachbar, who played in New Jersey last year, recently signed a three-year, $14.3 million deal with Dynamo. That pretty much ate up the rest of Dynamo's payroll.
Besides, they already have a pretty good point guard in former Oklahoma star Hollis Price.
When contacted on Friday, Cavs general manager Danny Ferry said as per team policy, he wouldn't comment on negotiations.
But what he could have said was the Internet report was bogus. How would he know? He was in Moscow on Friday and spoke to Dynamo coach David Blatt.
Agents bluff every day in this free-agent process. Perhaps West's agents have talked to teams overseas, but there are only a few teams in Europe that can make a splash like Olympiacos in Greece, who signed former Hawks forward Childress to a three-year, $20 million deal on Thursday.
The 6-foot-3, 180-pound West is a restricted free agent who has been locked in negotiations with the Cavs since July 1. The negotiations have not been going very smoothly.
A source said the Cavs' offer is far less than the mid-level exception of $5.6 million. Since there are only a couple teams with enough money to pay more than the mid-level, there is no market pressure on the Cavs to do so. However, he is their starting point guard.
The Cavs have probably told West's representatives to go out and find an offer sheet. Because he's restricted, though, other teams are reluctant to make a formal offer.
The threat of going to Europe, however, is becoming viable. The Cavs have the right to match any offer West receives from other NBA teams. If West would sign overseas, he would still be the Cavs' restricted free agent when he returned.
West, who turns 25 today, averaged 10.3 points, 4.5 assists and 3.7 rebounds in 26 regular-season games with the Cavs.
The Cavs signed guard Daniel "Boobie" Gibson to a five-year, $21 million deal last week.
Ferry said he holds West in high regard.
"During his free agency, we have consistently communicated that we believe Delonte is a good player," he said.
Looking for new home
Among the teams showing interest in former Cavs guard Devin Brown are Dallas, New Orleans, Denver and Atlanta. To a lesser extent, both Miami and Washington have made contact with Brown's representatives.
Brown played a team-high 78 games for the Cavs last year, which included 20 starts. He averaged 7.5 points.

©The News-Herald 2008
http://www.news-herald.com/site/news.cfm?dept_id=21848&PAG=461&newsid=19872703

jlev
07-26-2008, 10:33 PM
A recent article indicated that West was offered a five-year, $20.8 million deal -same as Boobie.........He's worth that and more and the Cavs are fools if they let him go.

monster_mash
07-27-2008, 10:38 AM
If you can't "feed" your family on that kind of money then get off my team.......He is young, he can get one more good contract after this if he plays well.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-27-2008, 01:39 PM
If you can't "feed" your family on that kind of money then get off my team.......He is young, he can get one more good contract after this if he plays well.

I really do not want West to be let go, but there is a side where I do want to sign him. I am very confused right now I wish Ferry picked up some depth at PG through FA this off-season. Especially considering West is our only true PG. I don't feel comfortable with Jones out there and Gibson hasn't proved to me that he is a PG.

IndiansFan337
07-29-2008, 11:56 AM
West's Agent: Cavs 'Won't Negotiate Fairly'

With one month of free agency now complete, Aaron Goodwin said he believes the Cavs are low-balling Delonte West.

"They said, 'Take the deal we've offered or we'll go an alternate route,' " Goodwin said. "They won't negotiate fairly."

"They made an offer to Delonte for around what they got 'Boobie' to sign for," Goodwin said. "Chris Duhon got $5 million-plus, and he might not even start (for the New York Knicks). All the comparables that we showed them doesn't matter to Cleveland."

"They keep saying how much players want to play with LeBron (James). That doesn't work with Delonte."

A league source said Boston and Miami have approached the Cavs regarding sign-and-trades. The source said they were turned down by the Cavs.

"To quote another team, 'Why should we negotiate for the Cavs?' " Goodwin said. " 'If we make an offer, all they'll do is match.'"

"Teams hide behind the first refusal clause - the right to match anything. Other teams see value in West, but Cleveland doesn't."
Via The News Herald

Talm
07-29-2008, 01:20 PM
I find it a bit humorous that West's camp claims Ferry won't negotiate fairly when they themselves are creating bogus rumors about a contract in the European league. Personally I think a little bit more than what Gibson received is a very fair offer for a guy like West.

monster_mash
07-29-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm starting to get this feeling that Ferry playing hardball with everyone who wants to play here is gonna come back to bite him in the arse.

Sbank
07-29-2008, 08:29 PM
He turned down $3.7 deal like Gibson. I feel West wants a more money and trying to get paid more then he value is. Ferry hold his ground. If West wants to stay he would of took the deal like Gibson by now.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-29-2008, 08:57 PM
He turned down $3.7 deal like Gibson. I feel West wants a more money and trying to get paid more then he value is. Ferry hold his ground. If West wants to stay he would of took the deal like Gibson by now.

Well I am sure that he thinks he is worth more then Gibson.

IndiansFan337
07-30-2008, 12:09 PM
They said West got a similar 5 year offer to that of Gibson.

monster_mash
07-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Take the DAMN 1yr tender and go play for someone else nxt yr.

EdTheRevelator
07-31-2008, 08:11 PM
Take the DAMN 1yr tender and go play for someone else nxt yr.

I would LOVE this. Hopefully it would motivate him to play hard for his next contract, and we can either deal him at the deadline as a useful expiring, or choose to re-sign him. and if he sucks, no real damage.

Cavs_Fan24
07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
i hope this thing with delonte doesnt turn out to be a big hold out like last year with andy and sasha..

Sbank
07-31-2008, 08:43 PM
I would LOVE this. Hopefully it would motivate him to play hard for his next contract, and we can either deal him at the deadline as a useful expiring, or choose to re-sign him. and if he sucks, no real damage.

I think he wants a big control and he not going to sign for a lower one then he wants.

Sbank
07-31-2008, 08:44 PM
i hope this thing with delonte doesnt turn out to be a big hold out like last year with andy and sasha..

I have a feeling we might see that like last year unfortunate with a player we actually need as a point guard.

infamous
08-01-2008, 10:40 PM
Here we go again, another possible holdout. Ferry is one tough negotiator, I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing for the cavs.

Cavs_Fan24
08-02-2008, 10:17 AM
i think Danny has to hurry up and get this done before training camp starts or else we're in the same boat we were in last year and we can't win games getting key players like Delonte back half-way through the season like what happened last year with Andy

Buckwheat
08-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Just get it done, if you want to resign him.. If he is valuable enough to stay, just sign the damn guy.. Will get the money he wants, anyways.

Talm
08-03-2008, 04:03 AM
No matter what there won't be a hold-out and we won't find ourselves in the same situation as we did last year. West's agent has already said they will take the qualifying offer if nothing better is on the table by the deadline.

EdTheRevelator
08-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Just get it done, if you want to resign him.. If he is valuable enough to stay, just sign the damn guy.. Will get the money he wants, anyways.

He's not that valuable though. No team will give him as much money as the Cavs anyway.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-03-2008, 04:15 PM
He's not that valuable though. No team will give him as much money as the Cavs anyway.

Eh, he has plenty of value. There are teams that could use a PG like him. More then anything his value comes from being a solid PG who can log a lot of minutes. Another thing nice about him is he technically should get better, which is a attractive thing considering right now he is a legitimate starting PG.

IndiansFan337
08-04-2008, 04:41 PM
Eh, he has plenty of value. There are teams that could use a PG like him. More then anything his value comes from being a solid PG who can log a lot of minutes. Another thing nice about him is he technically should get better, which is a attractive thing considering right now he is a legitimate starting PG.

I don't think he will get any better. He'll average 10-12 ppg, 4apg & 4 rpg. Those are mediocre numbers.

Sure, I want the Cavs to retain him. He is there best option at PG. But there's no sense in overpaying for mediocrity.

AMC31
08-05-2008, 06:01 PM
I have a feeling since its taking long to sign West, we are planning a sign and trade, maybe for Josh Smith?

monster_mash
08-05-2008, 06:31 PM
It's taking so long because Danny ferry is poopin his khakis..worrying about overpaying and tying up cap space for 4 or 5 years. I can't blame him. But yea, im on board with working on a trade invilving West and Smith...Providing we find a pg somewhere

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
08-05-2008, 07:32 PM
I have a feeling since its taking long to sign West, we are planning a sign and trade, maybe for Josh Smith?

I doubt it.

IndiansFan337
08-07-2008, 10:49 AM

You can't package S&T players with others(Andy, Wally, etc).

Therefore, it is theoretically impossible to S&T West for Josh Smith.

And I see no reason that the Hawks would be interested in West either.