PDA

View Full Version : Francisco Liriano

astro4life
07-19-2008, 02:14 PM
Does anyone think there is any possibility we might be able to get him? After all, he is mad at the front office in Minnesota and his agent wants an investigation of his extended stay in the minors. This might prompt them to make him available.

brandonwarne52
07-19-2008, 02:55 PM
No, it won't.

And you don't have nearly enough to get him.

TheRedMarauder
07-19-2008, 03:09 PM
There's no chance the Twins will let him go.

native_astro
07-19-2008, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't say never! With baseball....anything is possible. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded him eventually before he reaches arbritation years and his price tag goes through the roof.

I would be shocked though if he got traded though.

lilboytwister99
07-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Thats one guy I wouldnt mind getting at this point. He isnt worth much at this point and I think the Astros could get him cheap. If they work with him and develop him back to his potential, he would be a steal. Go for it if you can, dont be scared. Life, and baseball is all about taking chances..... so go for it. Good grief come on take the Astros back to being contenders. We should have had a championship years ago (no Im not speaking of 2005) and we need to win! So now is the time, so says Uncle Drayton, so lets friggin win it!

Which wont happen, but lets move in that direction!

astro4life
07-20-2008, 01:56 AM
Based on his Tommy John surgery, he might have a somewhat lower price than before the surgery. He could be a low risk-high reward acquisition.

brandonwarne52
07-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Thats one guy I wouldnt mind getting at this point. He isnt worth much at this point and I think the Astros could get him cheap. If they work with him and develop him back to his potential, he would be a steal. Go for it if you can, dont be scared. Life, and baseball is all about taking chances..... so go for it. Good grief come on take the Astros back to being contenders. We should have had a championship years ago (no Im not speaking of 2005) and we need to win! So now is the time, so says Uncle Drayton, so lets friggin win it!

Which wont happen, but lets move in that direction!

You honestly have no idea. None. Just stop.

lilboytwister99
07-20-2008, 10:06 AM
Dude, I dont take such an idea so serious. You might be as serious about it as I am, and thats fine. I could care less what the Astros do at this point. Nothing they can do will take them to the playoffs this year. I realize this and thats why I have fun with these threads. So dont get offended or upset if I say something that you dont agree with. Im just havin fun with it thats all. Astros should just blow it up and start over just like most people have said. Unfortunately Uncle Drayton doesnt go for that. He does believe we will win this season, which is so far from the truth its not even funny. But hey nobody can convince him, so there lies the problem.

Have a good one!

TheRedMarauder
07-20-2008, 10:39 AM
Dude, I dont take such an idea so serious. You might be as serious about it as I am, and thats fine. I could care less what the Astros do at this point. Nothing they can do will take them to the playoffs this year. I realize this and thats why I have fun with these threads. So dont get offended or upset if I say something that you dont agree with. Im just havin fun with it thats all. Astros should just blow it up and start over just like most people have said. Unfortunately Uncle Drayton doesnt go for that. He does believe we will win this season, which is so far from the truth its not even funny. But hey nobody can convince him, so there lies the problem.

Have a good one!

He responded to you like that because he's a Twins fan. And I have to agree with him because you're saying he can be had cheap, which is very wrong .

lilboytwister99
07-20-2008, 11:37 AM
That clears it up for me. I understand he is a Twins fan. Twins have a good year going for them. Ok I was wrong by saying Liriano could be had cheap. This is Liriano Im talking bout here. Anyways, I don't see him leaving Minnesota especially if they're in a playoff run. I know Liriano was a very very good pitcher, and I hate it when a pitcher takes a sort of downfall. Its never easy to get back on track.

Yall have a good one.

lilboytwister99
07-20-2008, 01:24 PM
Hope this doesnt post twice. Liriano is not the caliber pitcher the Astros usually seek. They like boneheads like Jason Jennings, Woody Williams, and Shawn "choke him out" Chacon.

:eyebrow:

brandonwarne52
07-20-2008, 03:30 PM
He responded to you like that because he's a Twins fan. And I have to agree with him because you're saying he can be had cheap, which is very wrong .

EXACTLY. He's 4-0 with a 0.32 ERA in his last 4 starts, and has K'd like 8 guys for every 1 walk in his last 8 or so starts.

lilboytwister99
07-20-2008, 03:47 PM
EXACTLY. He's 4-0 with a 0.32 ERA in his last 4 starts, and has K'd like 8 guys for every 1 walk in his last 8 or so starts.

Ouch...... he's sizzlin. Sorry I dont follow the Twins much, nor do I hardly see them in Houston unless they make the playoffs or unless they pound the Astros into the ground. So what is the situation with Liriano? Why has he been pushed down, agent says hes mad at the office, yadda yadda?

I went ahead and checked up on the forum here cuz the Astros game is pretty much done now. Its amazing how Backe isnt having too bad of a game yet we are getting shut down by Dempster. Sad, very sad.

brandonwarne52
07-20-2008, 03:58 PM
Sorry for being such a dick.

Anyway, Liriano came up north to start the season and was very obviously not ready. Now, there's really nobody that deserves to be demoted from the rotation, and despite the 'he could come up and pitch out of the pen' fodder, that move would make NO sense because it would waste the stretching out they've done with him, although I could dig if they released Brian Bass to bring him up.

CuseDude87
07-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Ouch...... he's sizzlin. Sorry I dont follow the Twins much, nor do I hardly see them in Houston unless they make the playoffs or unless they pound the Astros into the ground. So what is the situation with Liriano? Why has he been pushed down, agent says hes mad at the office, yadda yadda?

I went ahead and checked up on the forum here cuz the Astros game is pretty much done now. Its amazing how Backe isnt having too bad of a game yet we are getting shut down by Dempster. Sad, very sad.

Backe has given up 4 runs, and Dempster is an All-Star. Why is it sad that you're being shut down?

lilboytwister99
07-20-2008, 08:36 PM
Yeah, Backe gave up four runs, but what more could you ask of him? I mean he's no Roy Oswalt obviously. And besides with our super duper offense *snickers* we should be able to score four runs a game. But Dempster is an All Star and I love the way he turns his glove as hes pitching. I bet that makes the batter say WTF? lol

Its sad because this was actually a decent outing by Backe, and we had no offense today. Its like we weren't even there.

It was even more sad when they showed a text poll with 66% of people saying the Astros would complete the sweep. I mean sheesh I could have told ya that wasnt gonna happen.

Anywho, keep on rockin brotha!

Crzycjunx76
07-20-2008, 09:57 PM
We (astros) have an inconsistant offense because of several of the "star" players the fans are so high on... dont look at Home Runs, or RBIs, or even batting average. Look at our team on base percentage and you will see that while we have an explosive lineup we do not have consistant offense. A .330 on base percentage is pretty much were I draw the line between average starter and bad starter.

High OBP= Consistant
High Slugging= Explosive
High OPS= Consistantly explosive

now I would rather have a consistant offense than an explosive one ... and a consistantly explosive attack over either but none of that would reall matter at this moment because of our deficiencies at pitching.

I am just getting so frustrated because McClain obviously dosent understand or care that our team is much more than one pitcher away... this team is flawed horribly and there is no help coming from the minors within the next two seasons and I doubt uncle drayton will be willing to increase the payroll by 40 mil or so to make this team competitive (and im not sure that would be enough). By the time our minor leagues will be able to contribute players enough to make a difference or trade for a difference maker Tejada will be well beyond his prime and out of contract, Lee will be over his prime and a greater defensive liability, Oswalt will likely be on his last leg, Valaverde will be out of contract, and Berkman will even be beyond his prime... if we want to win in the future sacrifices need to be made now ... argh...

Joba Rules!!
07-21-2008, 12:09 AM
Where did this even come from?

Blackcar09
07-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Hope this doesnt post twice. Liriano is not the caliber pitcher the Astros usually seek. They like boneheads like Jason Jennings, Woody Williams, and Shawn "choke him out" Chacon.

:eyebrow:

Chacon wasn't that bad of a starting pitcher, it was just his attitude that killed his career here in Houston.

But as for Jennings and Woody I totally agree with you.

Whatever happened to Jennings?
Last i heard he was with the Rangers.
Probably minors...wouldn't surprise me :D

lilboytwister99
07-21-2008, 05:44 PM
Ya know thats funny you ask I went to the Texas Rangers website and saw something that didnt shock me..... Jennings is 0-5 with like an era above 5. No shocker there.

Chacon started the season off surprisingly stout. But once I saw his temper tantrum on the field during that one game, that kinda killed it for me. If he would have kept his composure, Im sure he'd still be with the Astros today. I still to this day think Sampson should have stayed a starter and Chacon should have been sent to the pen, but the Astros did what they did and thats why they're in the standings at the bottom.

Ya know I was listening to the radio 790 the Sports Animal, and I think I can pick another piece of trade bait..... believe it or not J.R. Towles might even be made possible. Towles started off great in the majors, and has just gone downhill from there. Its a shame too because we are in need of a good catcher since Ausmus is leaving Houston after this season.

Its also funny that driving home today I saw on the traffic billboard "hurricane forming in gulf, fill your gas tanks" great just what we need another false alarm just like the one we got at the beginning of the season when the Astros were 1 1/2 out from the division.

astro4life
07-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Where did this even come from?

I have already explained my reasoning. Go back and read the first post.

native_astro
07-21-2008, 08:50 PM
Ya know I was listening to the radio 790 the Sports Animal, and I think I can pick another piece of trade bait..... believe it or not J.R. Towles might even be made possible. Towles started off great in the majors, and has just gone downhill from there. Its a shame too because we are in need of a good catcher since Ausmus is leaving Houston after this season.

I've been thinking the ame thing too about Bourn and Towles. If the Astros were to package these two for a starter then you might have something even despite their troubles.

Jason Castro is already drawing great praise and according to Jose De Jesus Ortiz of the Chronicle...

By the way, the Astros' first-round pick, Jason Castro, has impressed early on. You might expect him to advance to at least Class A Lexington or maybe even High Class A Salem before this season is over.
link: http://blogs.chron.com/baseballblog/archives/2008/07/as_division_rac_1.html

Honestly I would not mind moving Hunter Pence back to CF until guys like Eli Iorg and Colin Delome are ready to take over CF.

Towles is just keeping the seat warm until Castro is ready.

If the Astros are going to keep Towles and Bourn around then they need more time at AAA. These guys just looked over matched and confused at the plate.

astro4life
07-22-2008, 01:03 AM
Honestly I would not mind moving Hunter Pence back to CF until guys like Eli Iorg and Colin Delome are ready to take over CF.

Towles is just keeping the seat warm until Castro is ready.

If the Astros are going to keep Towles and Bourn around then they need more time at AAA. These guys just looked over matched and confused at the plate.

Speaking of our CF situation, did you happen to catch the Miami-Arizona super regional last month? Just thought I would mention that TJ Steele, Arizona CF and Astros' 4th-round pick, was really impressive. Good speed, good approach at the plate, great defense.

But anyway, your Bourn-Towles statement was dead-on.:clap: