PDA

View Full Version : East vs. West

esscobar05
07-19-2008, 12:07 PM
All this talk about the Eatsern conference catching and passing the west is crazy... Sure Boston won the Championship and they were clearly the best team all season but, as far the conferences as a whole there is no competition.
East top contenders:
Boston
Cleveland
Detroit
Orlando

May be there
Philadelphia
Still need help
Washington
Toronto

West top contenders
New Orleans
LAkers
San Antonio
Utah

May be there
Houston
Phoenix
Dallas
Still need help
Golden State
Portland
Denver
Clippers

Now you tellme which has more quality teams?
Sleeper: Watch out for The Golden State Warriors everyone is scratching them off because of the loss of Baron Davis but in their offense it will not be as bad of a loss then people think.. He will be missed but I think that they have enough talent on the team to offset his departure.. If Nellie plays the bench more like he should have last season they will be a tough team in the wast... In the East watch out for Philadelphia... If they stay healthy they can run with any team in the East....

Vinny642
07-19-2008, 12:14 PM
West

BH-Sports
07-19-2008, 12:17 PM
Mehh West. 76ers are overrated, Hawks are overrated, Cleveland is overrated.

SHONIE
07-19-2008, 12:23 PM
West easy. But Celtics > All :D

Max Power
07-19-2008, 12:25 PM
It's all about matchups. Just look at the playoffs. Cleveland (LeBron) put up a much better fight vs. Boston than the Lakers did.

Jay22Redd
07-19-2008, 12:49 PM
west is going to win it all this year

_Sn1P3r_
07-19-2008, 12:57 PM
West.

yankees932
07-19-2008, 12:58 PM
If Yao and T-mac stay healthy, the Rockets are legit contenders. With Alston developing into his own, and same with Scola, the Rockets can be a 1-2 seed easy.

Again its IF both T-mac+ Yao stay healthy

Houston is a top contender!

Anyway, the West has 4-5 teams that have legit shot to win it, the East is gonna be a 2 way race

marlinsfan24
07-19-2008, 01:02 PM
I find it funny, even with a core of Marion Wade and Beasley, you show no love to the Heat.

But still, its the West, but the East is making a run

fhatmanz
07-19-2008, 01:05 PM
If Yao and T-mac stay healthy, the Rockets are legit contenders. With Alston developing into his own, and same with Scola, the Rockets can be a 1-2 seed easy.

Again its IF both T-mac+ Yao stay healthy

Houston is a top contender!

Anyway, the West has 4-5 teams that have legit shot to win it, the East is gonna be a 2 way race

I think heard this same post in the last 3-4 years... It wont happen..

Vinny642
07-19-2008, 02:07 PM
Look at my sig. The finals mvp will be that pg!

beef.shawarma
07-19-2008, 02:08 PM
w-e-s-t..

raptors_516
07-19-2008, 02:22 PM
west

esscobar05
07-19-2008, 02:30 PM
I did forget about the heat.... I see the Heat as still being a player or two away.. They will be a playoff team but not a legitmate threat unless they make a few more moves...

argo
07-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Now you tellme which has more quality teams?
Sleeper: Watch out for The Golden State Warriors everyone is scratching them off because of the loss of Baron Davis but in their offense it will not be as bad of a loss then people think.. He will be missed but I think that they have enough talent on the team to offset his departure.. If Nellie plays the bench more like he should have last season they will be a tough team in the wast... In the East watch out for Philadelphia... If they stay healthy they can run with any team in the East....

the west obviously still has the edge. the east has gotten better though, and they did have the best team last year.

i saw Don Nelson interviewed in vegas the other day.. he kind of eluded to the fact they were now in a rebuilding phase, and he was going to use the bench a lot more this year. losing BD was huge... he won quite a few of their close games that came down to the wire last year, and he was their leader.
they'll be fun to watch, but i don't think they'll make the playoffs. - no D and not much in the way of leadership.

CHief_0_o_Wahoo
07-19-2008, 02:44 PM
Mehh West. 76ers are overrated, Hawks are overrated, Cleveland is overrated.

How is Cleveland overrated, if anything they are underrated. Nobody thinks a team with one player can make it to the playoffs and go deep into the playoffs..
They took the champs to 7 too... I think it is mainly about match ups especially considering the teams that can't stop Kobe or LeBron or any of the great players in the NBA get beat by them..

Hazardous-taz
07-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Next season will be the west, but the season after or the one after that could be a whole different story. Look at how many declining teams there will be in the West.

1. Mavericks (Sorta' getting old, and have been having problems lately)
2. Suns (getting too old and Shaq screwed them up)
3. Spurs (Their age will matter after next season)

The Warriors probably won't get much better for a couple of years.

Portland is on the rise, yes, but there aren't many other Teams in the West that will be getting much better in the near future. I think Grizlies will do good as long as their players develop well and they use their cap space for something big. I don't like Minnesota much at this point.

Hornets and Jazz should get better but not drastically. And it looks like Utah might lose Boozer.

Clippers are much worse than they were before. Davis + Camby < Maggette + Brand.

While on the East. There are the Celtics that should start to decline (i'm not saying this season), and maybe Pistons if they don't make a nice trade.

While there are many teams in the East that should keep getting better

1. Sixers: A great assortment of young players with veterans Brand and Miller. A starting lineup of Miller, Iguodala, Young, Brand, and Dalembert sounds REALLY good at this point. And there's Louis Williams, Speights, and Smith all looking to prove themselves.

2. Bulls: They already had a great core of young guys and just added Derrick Rose. If Tyrus Thomas can develop to his potential or they can trade for a legit big man, they'll be contenders. They have a lot of trading pieces and are probably the deepest team in the league.

3. Heat: Wade, Beasley, AND Marion. They had a great pick in Chalmers, but still have two big wholes at Center and Point Gaurd. Someone's gonna' get traded. And their bench needs to be adressed. Still, I'm confident Riley can get this team back on track. And he has 3 great peaces to get started.

4. Magic: Dwight, Lewis, Turkoglu, and Nelson should all get better as they keep playing together.

5. Raptors: Even if O'neal gets injured, the Raptors didn't really lose all that much. They just lost T.J Ford!! They'll probably get better without him as Calderon takes on the role of the floor leader. Their Bench is a little shallow, but I see them making a few steps forward.

6. Bobcats: They have a lot of good players and just need to click in order to be good. Maybe coach Larry Brown can help.

7. Bucks: Mo Williams, Redd, Jefferson, Vilaneueva (sorry for spelling), and bogut is a nice starting lineup. Skiles should help turn around the team and maybe put them in the playoffs this upcoming season. I've loved Joe Alexander personally,and hope he gets a lot of playing time.

Not to mention Nets if they can net a couple of quality free agents in 2010. And who knows what will happen to the knicks in a couple of seasons with D'Antoni. But I don't see the Knicks going too far... actually I don't see the Bucks going too far either. Oh and I can't believe I forgot the Hawks. As long as they keep their young core in tact, they'll be fine.

My point is, while a lot of teams in the East seem to be headed toward a better situation, a lot of teams in the West are starting to head to decline or stay in the same spot..

esscobar05
07-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Stephen Jackson is the leader of the Warriors He was a co-captain along with BD.. It has been proven that you don't need much deense (07-08 Nuggets) to make the playoffs.. The Warriors are a better defensive team than it looks but with the qucik up and down approach that they have leaves easy askets for the other team... A lot of their points given away are transition points after missed 3 point shots.... They wil be there... Denver and Dallas takes steps back..Dallas still in but Denver on the outside looking in... Dallas is no lock by all means because there are a few more teams that didn't get in that will have something to say (Portland, Clips, Warriors)

Fireworld
07-19-2008, 04:33 PM
like 2pac said: WESTSIDE!!

Spurred1
07-19-2008, 04:50 PM
Stephen Jackson is the leader of the Warriors He was a co-captain along with BD.. It has been proven that you don't need much deense (07-08 Nuggets) to make the playoffs.. The Warriors are a better defensive team than it looks but with the qucik up and down approach that they have leaves easy askets for the other team... A lot of their points given away are transition points after missed 3 point shots.... They wil be there... Denver and Dallas takes steps back..Dallas still in but Denver on the outside looking in... Dallas is no lock by all means because there are a few more teams that didn't get in that will have something to say (Portland, Clips, Warriors)
You might not need much defense to make the playoffs, but you need it to stay in the playoffs. I just don't see the Warriors doing anything this coming season. Maggette,Jackson, and Turiaf(possibly) aren't enough to make an impact.

Vinny642
07-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Wait why would the jazz lose Boozer? TELL ME

Master P
07-19-2008, 05:23 PM
I think people say Cleveland is over-rated because they are shocked at how bad a job management has done surrounding Lebron is a team. That being said...Lebron is not under-rated. Nor is he over-rated. He's just rated: amazing. Everyone knows they are dangerous with his motivation during the playoffs. However, with that supporting cast they might slip a bit in the regular season.

hockeypro68
07-19-2008, 05:40 PM
I was so amused by how incredibly competitive the Western Conference was last year, only to have the Celtics from the east take their first 2 playoff rounds to 7 games against crapppppy teams, but then somehow beat the Lakers in 6 for the championship.

Teams I consider championship contenders in the East would be the Celtics, Pistons, Cavs, Magic, and I'd even throw the Heat into that discussion now with the trio of Wade, Marion, and Beasley. As for the 76ers... give me a break. First of all, Fhuck Elton Brand. The sixers won't make it past Round 1 of the playoffs... even in the East.

As for the west, It's really anyone's game. There are so many good teams in the West, I wouldnt be surprised if any of them, (with the exception of the Sonics, Grizzlies, Twolves, and Kings) made it to the Finals.

My sleeper team for the West has got to be the Clippers. Although many disagree, I think the moves they've made this offseason have improved the team Dramatically. Chris Kaman AND Marcus Camby playing the 4 and 5, are you kidding me? Both averaged about 13 rebounds and 3 blocks last season. They're going to make huge contributions on the defensive end to say the least. As for our backcourt... Baron Davis and Al Thornton are going to tear it up, while Eric Gordon gains his bearings in the NBA for the first half of the season or so, and then averages 20ppg the rest of the way. DeAndre Jordan at pick #35 was the steal of the NBA Draft, and I have a feeling he's going to develop into an excellent big man in time. Signing Azubuike was also a solid acquisition, although I still hope the clippers make one more move involving Tim Thomas and Cuttino Mobley (both expiring contracts in 2010), to bring in one last key player to strengthen the team further.

Clippers!!!!:smoking: Championship contenders? Maybe not, but they'll definitely make some noise next season, I'm sure of it.