PDA

View Full Version : If we're going to win a title who's our Hall Of Famer??

WestsideWalt
07-19-2008, 01:22 AM
Ok, since we're all playing GM on a forum, and deciding on who we should get, etc. I was talking with some friends and we found and interesting point. Only two teams have won a nba title without a HOFer on the squad since I started watching basketball. The Supersonics with Gus Williams and DJ in the backcourt and the recent Pistons. We're talking only two teams in the last 30 years, so it's the exception not the rule. Plus they only won one title with each squad. I know people will point to the Celtics recent title and Miami's but, KG is going in the Hall and Miami had Shaq, though it was more Dwayne Wade there still was a HOFer on the squad, plus if he can stay healthy Wade will probably get in the Hall. So what we need to be asking is, "who's our HOFer"? Yeah, I know there's a bunch of HOFer's without rings. It's supposed to be Deng and he still has time but plenty of improvement is needed. Maybe it will be Rose but in my opinion someone will have to reach HOF status before we win anything.

jgonboricua
07-19-2008, 01:25 AM
rose.....maybe thomas

mcnasty54
07-19-2008, 02:37 AM
Rose is the only one i can think of.

Kyben36
07-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Rose if we do win some titles unless he is a bust. Im not saying he will be but anything could happen. Look a Jay Williams. But if you look farther into it. IF we have Deng put up 25 ppg. he could also be a carry on into the Hall of Fame. Kinda like Ray Allen is now. He could never win a title by himself or even with 1 other great player. He was the 3rd option on that team folowing KG and Pierce. Not to mention Rondo who is a very good PG. and if thomas improves maybe he could be great as well but we will have to see about him. but for now I Say Rose Make Hall of fame with Deng as a championship Carry on to their championship.

Carry on or like a Side Kick or a Duo. You get the point

Jabbar
07-19-2008, 06:47 AM
BTW, in regards to the Pistons, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, and Billups have a good chance of making it to the hall.

Pz

Badluck33
07-19-2008, 07:39 AM
Benny the Bull?

root21
07-19-2008, 09:07 AM
BTW, in regards to the Pistons, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, and Billups have a good chance of making it to the hall.

Pz

The HOF isn't just an open forum where decent players can go...There is NO CHANCE AT ALL that either Ben or Rasheed Wallace make the hall. Come on now!

JordansBulls
07-19-2008, 09:22 AM
Ok, since we're all playing GM on a forum, and deciding on who we should get, etc. I was talking with some friends and we found and interesting point. Only two teams have won a nba title without a HOFer on the squad since I started watching basketball. The Supersonics with Gus Williams and DJ in the backcourt and the recent Pistons. We're talking only two teams in the last 30 years, so it's the exception not the rule. Plus they only won one title with each squad. I know people will point to the Celtics recent title and Miami's but, KG is going in the Hall and Miami had Shaq, though it was more Dwayne Wade there still was a HOFer on the squad, plus if he can stay healthy Wade will probably get in the Hall. So what we need to be asking is, "who's our HOFer"? Yeah, I know there's a bunch of HOFer's without rings. It's supposed to be Deng and he still has time but plenty of improvement is needed. Maybe it will be Rose but in my opinion someone will have to reach HOF status before we win anything.

Totally agree. That is why I am for trading for guys like Melo and Iverson because I know you need a hall of famer or stars to win in this league.

jtlive2006
07-19-2008, 09:46 AM
Totally agree. That is why I am for trading for guys like Melo and Iverson because I know you need a hall of famer or stars to win in this league.

We already have a future HOF in Rose and you want to throw that away? What I would do is sign Deng and see what Ben Gordon want but if we let him go, too bad for us and then see how this season pans out. If tyrus works out, then keep him but if not, let him go in 2010 and sign either Wade or Amare (if we have enough money sign both). Then in 3 years when Rose is the player everyone thought, we will have a championship contender. If we get Amare we need to get a SG somewhere or if Thabo develops. If we get Wade and give up Tyrus we need to get a PF somewhere.

C-Noah/Amare
PF- Amare/Noah
SF- Deng
SG- Free Agent/Trade/Thabo
PG- Rose

C- Noah
PF- Free Agent/Trade
SF- Deng
SG- Wade
PG- Rose

C- Noah/Amare
PF- Amare/Noah
SF- Deng
SG- Wade
PG- Rose :speechless:

JordansBulls
07-19-2008, 09:55 AM
We already have a future HOF in Rose and you want to throw that away? What I would do is sign Deng and see what Ben Gordon want but if we let him go, too bad for us and then see how this season pans out. If tyrus works out, then keep him but if not, let him go in 2010 and sign either Wade or Amare (if we have enough money sign both). Then in 3 years when Rose is the player everyone thought, we will have a championship contender. If we get Amare we need to get a SG somewhere or if Thabo develops. If we get Wade and give up Tyrus we need to get a PF somewhere.

C-Noah/Amare
PF- Amare/Noah
SF- Deng
SG- Free Agent/Trade/Thabo
PG- Rose

C- Noah
PF- Free Agent/Trade
SF- Deng
SG- Wade
PG- Rose

C- Noah/Amare
PF- Amare/Noah
SF- Deng
SG- Wade
PG- Rose :speechless:

That doesn't look half bad. The only thing I would be worried about is what happens if Amare goes somewhere else or Wade decides to stay, then what?

WestsideWalt
07-19-2008, 10:46 AM

Pz
I have to disagree, the only person on the Pistons with an outside chance is Billups but he was a late bloomer so he has that working against him.

bullsriver23
07-19-2008, 10:55 AM

I agree with you guys, up to know nobody deserves or at least is near to be a HOF.

Lets hope Rose can be this player, however we are putting too much expectations in a rookie. Let him develop and show something before proclaming him an All Star.

tduncanspeaks
07-19-2008, 10:56 AM
No Piston from the Championship teams of the new millenium are going to the Hall.......................................WTF?!!! !!

WestsideWalt
07-19-2008, 11:42 AM
No Piston from the Championship teams of the new millenium are going to the Hall.......................................WTF?!!! !!
I agree with you dude, I was just saying if Billups had been more consistent earlier in his career he might have had an outside shot. So we don't get it twisted, you mean the current Pistons correct?

Vincent
07-19-2008, 11:50 AM
A lot of players get HOF considerations AFTER they win a championship, not before.

If Wade didn't dominate in the Finals, we wouldn't even be considering him as a HOFer.

That being said, a lot of players make it to the HOF. Just because you have a HOF player, doesn't mean it'll put you over the top.

There are HOF type players on terrible teams. And even after some of them get traded, they still don't necessarily turn into instant success or even contention for titles.

playanomor
07-19-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm gonna jump on the JordanBulls bandwagon... I say we make some HOF trades. Do you think this lineup could win it all next year??:
PG - Jason Kidd
SG - Allen Iverson
SF - Nocioni (Definately HOF bound in Argentina)
PF - Dikembe Mutumbo
C - Shaq

Max Power
07-19-2008, 12:13 PM
How about making the playoffs first?

WestsideWalt
07-19-2008, 12:25 PM
A lot of players get HOF considerations AFTER they win a championship, not before.

If Wade didn't dominate in the Finals, we wouldn't even be considering him as a HOFer.

That being said, a lot of players make it to the HOF. Just because you have a HOF player, doesn't mean it'll put you over the top.

There are HOF type players on terrible teams. And even after some of them get traded, they still don't necessarily turn into instant success or even contention for titles.
I did state when I started this thread that there are plenty of guys in the Hall without rings. I do understand that you might get HOF consideration after winning a title but you have to serious game too. I do feel you, Paul Pierce might get in now that he's won. Robert Horry has plenty of rings but the only way he gets in the Hall is by visiting. I'm just stating that more times than not you aren't winning a title without a HOF caliber player on the squad. But you can't just have a HOFer on the team and think you can win. Even MJ himself needed help, but you have to have that star.

kozelkid
07-19-2008, 12:36 PM

wade also had one of the greastest final performances of all time.
Guys, you realize only TWO people make the hall, it isnt that easy. So basically the 2 best players from each draft class make the hall on average, not to mention less because hall is always looking at past draft classes. I doubt anyone from pistons make it. I have also had numerous arguments about ray allen, but I doubt he will make it. KG will for sure of course, as for pierce on sure at this point...
the only sure HOF's I can think of that are in the league in this point are.
kobe, duncan, shaq, kg, nash(even though I dont like it, he has 2 mvps on his side), kidd, AI, webber. that will already take 4 years of voting and these guys are basically automatic. not to mention you have people from the 90s who still are waiting for that chance like jordan, pippen, stockton, payton, malone, robinson that's already at least another 3 years. and by the time. point is HOF are generally superstar players in the league, sure a few times an allstar type player may squeeck by, but if it were all allstar caliber players, you'd be looking at a competition of ray allen, pp, tmac, zo, mutombo, carter, billups, rip, sheed, JO, arenas, JJ, jamison, biddy, butler, dirk, pau, west, parker, manu, melo, roy, boozer, brand, marion. that's over 13 years of voting for just these players now, not to mention ones from the 90s and ones from the future and the superstar players. Point is, generally superstar players make it, like the ones I mentioned, and only a few allstar players may get in as well, so expecting billups and rip to make it is pretty unlikely cause they really arent anything more than allstar players and I'd argue neither were ever top 5 in their respective positions...

jtlive2006
07-19-2008, 12:47 PM
That doesn't look half bad. The only thing I would be worried about is what happens if Amare goes somewhere else or Wade decides to stay, then what?

Well, I wasn't meaning to trade a lot of guys for expirings so we are left with nothing.

JordansBulls
07-19-2008, 01:18 PM
I'm gonna jump on the JordanBulls bandwagon... I say we make some HOF trades. Do you think this lineup could win it all next year??:
PG - Jason Kidd
SG - Allen Iverson
SF - Nocioni (Definately HOF bound in Argentina)
PF - Dikembe Mutumbo
C - Shaq

Those 5 along is in the luxury tax area.

Blue Tiger
07-19-2008, 02:33 PM
How about making the playoffs first?

I agree, make the gawd d@mn playoffs first.

playanomor
07-20-2008, 02:13 PM
Those 5 along is in the luxury tax area.

Luxury tax, smuxury tax... who cares when it's a title?!?!?!

JordansBulls
07-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Luxury tax, smuxury tax... who cares when it's a title?!?!?!

Yeah if it was the '98 Bulls perhaps where you had your 3 best players 35, 33 and 37.

In the above lineup you have a 41 year old, a 36 year old and a 35 year old.

kozelkid
07-20-2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah if it was the '98 Bulls perhaps where you had your 3 best players 35, 33 and 37.

In the above lineup you have a 41 year old, a 36 year old and a 35 year old.

not only that, but that team would be lucky to be top 4 in the east. if this was 5 years ago, maybe, but shaq is crap, mutombo is also nothing more than a backup and since when is he a pf? nocioni is an average sf, AI is good, but he is also weak defensively and kidd showed he wasnt the same in dallas.

Mochalman
07-20-2008, 04:12 PM
Ray Allen will be a hall of famer due to his playoff stats. Hes shooting around 95%? free throw which is the highest all time. Would assume if hes holding a record hes getting in.

kozelkid
07-20-2008, 04:21 PM
Ray Allen will be a hall of famer due to his playoff stats. Hes shooting around 95%? free throw which is the highest all time. Would assume if hes holding a record hes getting in.

try 91%. He's a good player, an allstar player, but as I said there's plenty of them and not every ray allen, vince carter or tmac makes it. He may get lucky and get in eventually, but he can just as well not.

Mochalman
07-20-2008, 04:24 PM
try 91%. He's a good player, an allstar player, but as I said there's plenty of them and not every ray allen, vince carter or tmac makes it. He may get lucky and get in eventually, but he can just as well not.

I would be surprised if T-Mac or Carter make it seeing how they didn't really do much but you can say that about Allen who won a title with his carrer on the last stretch.

Another guy who will make it without doing tons and tons is Robert Horry. Hes been on great benches and has the most rings all tine.