PDA

View Full Version : Brown, Vasher back to anchor Bears secondary

Soop
07-18-2008, 10:54 PM
In the eighth of nine position previews in advance of training camp, coach Steve Wilks discusses the Bears defensive backs:

How much of a boost is it to get Mike Brown and Nathan Vasher back on the field?
Its a major boost. When you start talking about guys with experience and Pro Bowl players and those kinds of things, those guys bring so much to the table. Theyre students of the game and playmakers when theyre out there on the field. They make everybody else better as well.
A groin injury limited cornerback Nathan Vasher to just four games last season.

What were your impressions of Mike and Nathan during offseason workouts? Did they look like the same guys they were before they were injured last season?

No question. Nate and Mike both looked really hunger not being out there last year. The one thing we talk about all the time is that its not enough just to be a professional player. Youve got to be a pro, and thats the approach those guys take each and every day. Going out on the field, theyre pros at what they do. Its a joy to have them back out there. The way theyre moving around, its like they havent missed a beat.

How much better is the secondary with Mike and Nathan on the field?

Were so much better with Nate out there teaming with Peanut [Charles Tillman] and Mike back out there helping out Brandon [McGowan], whos still young, being that leader, that quarterback out there in the secondary as Mike is. Its a tremendous plus to have those guys back.

What makes Mike Brown such a special player?

His work ethic and his understanding of the game. Mike has that great desire to try to get better each and every day. Hes a veteran whos been around for a while, but hes still always asking questions about what he can do to get better, so he still has that edge.

What makes Nathan Vasher such a special player?

Vash has natural instincts. Hes a playmaker. He plays the ball well, but hes also a technician. The one thing we talk about all the time is that technique will override speed every time. Thats one thing we try to emphasize, and his technique is one thing hes really been trying to fine-tune and master.

What does Charles Tillman bring to the table at cornerback?

Charles is one of those blue collar workers. Hes just going to come to work every day. He doesnt really look for or expect any kind of credit. The one thing we emphasize and talk about all the time is takeaways and turnovers. He just has a knack for getting the ball out. Hes a physical corner. Hes going to try to beat you up, being physical with his re-routes in cover two. Hes just a hard worker and a grinder.

How would you assess Brandon McGowans performance at safety during offseason workouts?

Brandon got better each day. Hes a hard worker. He finally settled into that role of realizing that hes going to be a starter, really trying to progress and take the next step. I thought he did a great job coming in last year. But now being in that starting role, hes starting to prepare himself each and every day for that.

What does Brandon have to do in training camp to cement the job?

Consistency is the key thing with Brandon right now. He still has a lot to work on, but the key thing that were looking for as a coaching staff is for him to be consistent in his performance in practice.

What were your impressions of Danieal Manning at the nickel position in offseason workouts?

Danieal picked up everything at that position real quick. Now we have a guy playing underneath who has athletic ability, speed and quickness. Hes also a physical guy that we know can support the run. Im very pleased right now the way hes picked things up and progressed throughout OTAs. I think hes going to be a great nickel for us.

How much will remaining in one position help him?

Its going to help him out tremendously. You can see by him just playing nickel all this offseason hes progressed so much. Hes not thinking about corner or safety. He has one thing to concentrate on and that will allow his athletic ability to take over.

How would you assess the performance of rookie draft picks Craig Steltz and Zackary Bowman in offseason workouts?

I see those guys picking things up pretty easily and quickly. Thats the key thing right now because we go really fast at this particular level, so Im really pleased there. They still have a long way to go. But with their technique and their repetition of going through practice each and every day, I think theyre on track.

Who are some of the leading candidates for backup positions in the secondary?

One guy Im really pleased with is Corey Graham. Corey has made tremendous strides from last year to this year. Hes in a situation now where he gives us another big body. We finally have a situation where we have three corners over six feet (including Tillman and Bowman), which is always a plus when you talk about matching up. Trumaine [McBride] may have an edge because he has experience from playing a little bit last year and starting, but the way Corey has played this offseason, Im very pleased.

tommer1961
07-19-2008, 12:50 AM
It is a major boost simply because brown is the major vocal leader of the defense and vasher is only a couple year removed froma pro bowl year in which he had 8 or so picks.

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 01:02 AM
I know we say this every year about Brown, but if he's healthy then watch out!

A big IF, I know...but every year when he gets hurt this Defense takes a nosedive.

If we can get 12 games out of him then we're probably a Playoff team.

tommer1961
07-19-2008, 01:05 AM
I know we say this every year about Brown, but if he's healthy then watch out!

A big IF, I know...but every year when he gets hurt this Defense takes a nosedive.

If we can get 12 games out of him then we're probably a Playoff team.

Id have to agree with you bout the 12 game part simply because he is the motivational leader of the chicago bears defenseand we need him in order to recieve.

Bgpapa1
07-23-2008, 12:52 PM
I hope Brown can stay healthy. You gotta feel bad for the guy. Bust his butt to get back all those times just to turn around and get hurt again.

Shardik17
07-23-2008, 04:09 PM
I hope Brown can stay healthy. You gotta feel bad for the guy. Bust his butt to get back all those times just to turn around and get hurt again.

That shows his resiliency and determination.

...and to not have lost a step is bordering deity.

Bring on the alligator arms.