PDA

View Full Version : Rich Hill starts in Daytona

giventofly
07-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Just figured I'd make a new thread for it.

If you want to listen, click here. (http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/media/player/mp_tpl.jsp?w=http%3A//web.servicebureau.net/conf/meta%3Fi%3D1113022167%26c%3D14667%26m%3Dwas%26u%3D/w2.xsl&w_id=88381&pid=milb_ga&type=a_sub&_mp=1)

It's free, but you have to give them your email address.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 07:38 PM
4 K's, 1 BB, 1 H, 1 ER through 2 innings.

northsider
07-18-2008, 07:48 PM
The one run is Unearned at least that's what they have for the box score.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 07:49 PM
The one run is Unearned at least that's what they have for the box score.
That's what I thought I heard too.

The guy scored from first on a "basehit", I think, so there must have been an error in there somewhere.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 07:52 PM
5 K's through 2.1 innings

giventofly
07-18-2008, 07:53 PM
Rich is inducing A LOT of swinging strikes tonight.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 07:53 PM
6 K's through 2.2 innings.

This announcer is great.

"NAAAASTY breaking ball....nastiest thing I've seen all night."

mawp
07-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Eh, as long as he's not walking 4+ per game he should be back with the big club pretty soon.

I'm hoping some desperate team will take TSP off our hands.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 07:54 PM
Groundball to Darwin Barney (SS) to end the inning.

Hill is making Fort Myers his *****.

northsider
07-18-2008, 07:55 PM
Yeah this guy announcing had me rolling when he said that.

poodski
07-18-2008, 07:57 PM
Rich is inducing A LOT of swinging strikes tonight.

Are they strikes or just guys chasing at stuff they have never seen before?

I would like to see where the pitches are hitting.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 08:01 PM
Are they strikes or just guys chasing at stuff they have never seen before?

I would like to see where the pitches are hitting.
The announcer is saying that Hill is hitting all of his spots, lots of pitches in the zone.

AndyDufresne
07-18-2008, 08:03 PM
Our rotation with the real Rich Hill is the best in the majors.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 08:04 PM
What the hell....

The sound just completely cut out for me...

giventofly
07-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Okay it's back.

First basemen and second basemen (Tony Thomas) get mixed up on a bouncing ball to the right side and allow the hit to go through.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Announcer saying Hill was assigned to the Daytona roster, rather than being on a Major League rehab stint.

So he might be there a while, but if he does really well, who knows?

giventofly
07-18-2008, 08:10 PM
Double, men on second and third

1 out

giventofly
07-18-2008, 08:11 PM
Ugh, sounds like the centerfielder Adducci let a ball drop right in front of him for an RBI single.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 08:12 PM
5-4-3 double play to end the inning

Kirel
07-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Announcer saying Hill was assigned to the Daytona roster, rather than being on a Major League rehab stint.

So he might be there a while, but if he does really well, who knows?
He's not on the 15 or 60 day dl, is he?

Rehab assignments only apply when you are on the major league DL. Otherwise, you're assigned to the club. It doesn't mean anything.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 08:23 PM
He's not on the 15 or 60 day dl, is he?

Rehab assignments only apply when you are on the major league DL. Otherwise, you're assigned to the club. It doesn't mean anything.
I dunno, it's just what he said.

I was more focused on how he said that Rich might be there for a while.

steelSKINSNCUBS
07-18-2008, 08:57 PM
he had a horrible game 5 er 3 bb

Kirel
07-18-2008, 08:59 PM
he had a horrible game 5 er 3 bb
Neither of which means anything without an inning count...

cubswoo
Rich Hill is doing the Billy Madison thing. He's gotta go through the minors all over again starting with rookie ball to A to AA to AAA.

Acronym
Is that the final line? Seemed like he was completely cruising for a while. Where did the other runs come from?

redwhitenblue
07-18-2008, 09:01 PM
Is that the final line? Seemed like he was completely cruising for a while. Where did the other runs come from?
Have to ask GTF

He was getting -0- defense from the earlier reports

giventofly
07-18-2008, 09:03 PM
IP H R ER BB SO HR ERA
4.1 6 6 5 3 6 0 10.38

redwhitenblue
07-18-2008, 09:04 PM
Daytona gave up 8 in the 5th
Hill was charged with 5 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 6 K, Phelps came in and gave up a 3 R HR, so it's hard to say if Hill gave up 5 or if Phelps gave up some of those runs on the HR he gave up (Phelps also gave up a 3B and 4 ER in the 2/3 of an inning he pitched)

giventofly
07-18-2008, 09:04 PM

Have to ask GTF

He was getting -0- defense from the earlier reports
Yeah, he was really doing great for the first 4 innings. Hitting his spots, inducing swinging strikes (6 K's), but he wasn't getting a lot of defensive support.

I'm not sure what happened in the 5th inning though. That was his blowup inning where he allowed 3 more runs I believe (only recording one out).

redwhitenblue
07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Yeah, he was really doing great for the first 4 innings. Hitting his spots, inducing swinging strikes (6 K's), but he wasn't getting a lot of defensive support.

I'm not sure what happened in the 5th inning though. That was his blowup inning where he allowed 3 more runs I believe (only recording one out).
How many H's/BB's did he have through 4 (i know of at least 1 BB and 2 H)

that might help us see how much he actually gave up in the 4th (i.e., if he only gave up 3 baserunners in the 4th, I'd speculate Phelps gave up a few of those runs on the HR)

giventofly
07-18-2008, 09:06 PM
Daytona gave up 8 in the 5th
Hill was charged with 5 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 6 K, Phelps came in and gave up a 3 R HR, so it's hard to say if Hill gave up 5 or if Phelps gave up some of those runs on the HR he gave up (Phelps also gave up a 3B and 4 ER in the 2/3 of an inning he pitched)
:mad:

giventofly
07-18-2008, 09:07 PM
How many H's/BB's did he have through 4 (i know of at least 1 BB and 2 H)

that might help us see how much he actually gave up in the 4th (i.e., if he only gave up 3 baserunners in the 4th, I'd speculate Phelps gave up a few of those runs on the HR)
The majority (2) of his walks definitely came in that fifth inning, so we are probably right about Phelps letting his runners score.

WatWoudJordanDo
07-18-2008, 09:15 PM
even if we never figure it out, im pretty sure the scouts/coaches will be able to report what really happened so im not worried unless we find out he imploded...again

redwhitenblue
07-18-2008, 09:17 PM
even if we never figure it out, im pretty sure the scouts/coaches will be able to report what really happened so im not worried unless we find out he imploded...again
Well from the early reports his breaking ball was good, don't know the velocity of his pitches

If he gave up the 5 R's himself I could understand the move of pulling him, or if his pitch count was abnormally high...otherwise, I think they need to let him try to pitch past a bad couple batters-especially in the minors

Can't expect him to improve if they pull him every time he has the slightest sign of trouble and then let a reliever come in and **** up

Cubsfan162512
07-18-2008, 09:18 PM
Well from the early reports his breaking ball was good, don't know the velocity of his pitches

If he gave up the 5 R's himself I could understand the move of pulling him, or if his pitch count was abnormally high...otherwise, I think they need to let him try to pitch past a bad couple batters-especially in the minors

Can't expect him to improve if they pull him every time he has the slightest sign of trouble and then let a reliever come in and **** up

exactly

poodski
07-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Come on guys. The internet is here for a reason

Fort Myers Top 5th

Yangervis Solarte singles on a line drive to left fielder Ty Wright.
Danny Santiesteban singles on a ground ball to center fielder James Adduci. Yangervis Solarte to 3rd.
Juan Portes out on a sacrifice fly to right fielder Ryan Harvey. Yangervis Solarte scores.
Daniel Berg walks. Danny Santiesteban to 2nd.
Edward Ovalle walks. Danny Santiesteban to 3rd. Daniel Berg to 2nd.
Pitcher Change: Michael Phelps replaces Rich Hill.
Wilson Ramos pops out to first baseman Steve Clevenger in foul territory.
Eli Tintor walks. Danny Santiesteban scores. Daniel Berg to 3rd. Edward Ovalle to 2nd.
Steven Singleton triples (2) on a line drive to right fielder Ryan Harvey. Daniel Berg scores. Edward Ovalle scores. Eli Tintor scores.
Garrett Olson hit by pitch.
Yangervis Solarte homers (3) on a fly ball to right field. Steven Singleton scores. Garrett Olson scores.
Danny Santiesteban singles on a ground ball to third baseman Jonathan Mota.
Juan Portes pops out to second baseman Tony Thomas.

redwhitenblue
07-18-2008, 09:27 PM
Come on guys. The internet is here for a reason
I looked on Daytona's website and it didn't have play by play

So Hill faced 5 batters, 4 reached, but Phelps was on the mound to give up 7 of the 8 runs in the 5th (including Hill's last 3)

Acronym
07-18-2008, 09:37 PM
So it wasn't as bad as it looked, but never-the-less those 2 walks with men on are extremely disconcerting.

Kirel
07-18-2008, 10:07 PM
With out seeing the pitches, we can't be too concerned about it yet. Hill is a hard pitcher to call and low minors umpires aren't exactly perfect. It doesn't nessecerily mean anything without a developed pattern or first hand knowledge of the quality of the pitches.

poodski
07-18-2008, 10:38 PM
With out seeing the pitches, we can't be too concerned about it yet. Hill is a hard pitcher to call and low minors umpires aren't exactly perfect. It doesn't nessecerily mean anything without a developed pattern or first hand knowledge of the quality of the pitches.

Thats kinda my thoughts. Not only that but we are sure that A ball hitters are going to be up swinging much more freely than major league hitters.

Knuckles
07-19-2008, 12:50 AM
Getting into the 5th is the longest outing for him in a while I believe. He may have just been out of gas!

tommer1961
07-19-2008, 01:14 AM
he could have been out of gas or he simply isnt the picthcer we once thought that he was so package him at the deadline and get some at least serviceable in return.

Knuckles
07-19-2008, 01:52 AM
he could have been out of gas or he simply isnt the picthcer we once thought that he was so package him at the deadline and get some at least serviceable in return.

At this point you're probably not going to get much for him! I say wait it out. I mean just last year he was a starter in the playoffs for us! It's way to early to give up on him completey! His potential outweighs what you'd be able to get for him in a trade!

Kirel
07-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Thats kinda my thoughts. Not only that but we are sure that A ball hitters are going to be up swinging much more freely than major league hitters.
That as well.

For now, I'm simply hoping to see a few starts where he has some semblence of command. Fool some batters at least, keep the walks below 9 BB/9.

What I don't want to see is something like 2005's Luke Hagerty, who gave up 30 walks, 14 hits, and 9 wild pitches managing just shy of 7 innings. Only stuff lke that is going to scare the hell out of me in A ball.

Randall Simon
07-21-2008, 09:41 AM
Article about Hill's progress:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/cubs/1065629,CST-SPT-cside21.article

ggross
07-21-2008, 09:59 AM
It sounds like everyone here works for the Cubs or something. For as much you mormally rely on stats...

Keep spinning away your own versions about why he might not really suck, but there is very little encouraging about his progress.

Projectblue78
07-21-2008, 10:24 AM
After reading that article about Hill's interview with the Globe, it makes me wonder why we are just now hearing about the back spasms. Shouldnt that have come out earlier or do you think hes just tryin to cover his *** now?

Kirel
07-21-2008, 10:30 AM
It sounds like everyone here works for the Cubs or something. For as much you mormally rely on stats...

Keep spinning away your own versions about why he might not really suck, but there is very little encouraging about his progress.
I see little that isn't encouraging. I'll be discouraged if he starts walking 10 guys in a start, beyond that it's hyperbole at best.

And no one relies entirely on stats for A ball games. The talent level of the umpires and players are outrageously inconsistent.

hoosiercubsfan
07-21-2008, 10:49 AM
After reading that article about Hill's interview with the Globe, it makes me wonder why we are just now hearing about the back spasms. Shouldnt that have come out earlier or do you think hes just tryin to cover his *** now?

I don't believe this is the first time we are hearing about the back spasms. If I remember correctly he was held out for like 10 games or something due to them about a month or so ago. Hopefully it is only the back spasms and the losing sight of the catcher with his mechanics that will allow him to get back on track.

hoosiercubsfan
07-21-2008, 10:53 AM
I see little that isn't encouraging. I'll be discouraged if he starts walking 10 guys in a start, beyond that it's hyperbole at best.

And no one relies entirely on stats for A ball games. The talent level of the umpires and players are outrageously inconsistent.

And not to mention even the best pitchers in the game are going to have bad games. So everyone needs to chill if/when he has bad games. Even Johan had a bad game for the Mets the other day. But this is going to be a hot topic every time he has a bad game or bad inning for that matter. There are two types of people on this board those that hope he returns to form and those who just keep looking for him to fail so they can point and laugh.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-21-2008, 10:59 AM
Our rotation with the real Rich Hill is the best in the majors.

But what would we do with Marquis? :shrug:

But seriously does it scare anyone else to think that the cubs would think Marquis' salary is too much for the bp?

cubsfan9124
07-21-2008, 11:17 AM

But seriously does it scare anyone else to think that the cubs would think Marquis' salary is too much for the bp?

I agree with that it is too much for the bullpen.

But it's not too much for Iowa's rotation.

Cullksinikers
07-21-2008, 11:31 AM

He usually gives up at least 4 runs and occasionally has a good day. (Say the game against L.A.)

hoosiercubsfan
07-21-2008, 11:32 AM

I'm not so much worried about what is done with Marquis. If Hill does find it somehow and starts throwing like he is capabale i'm more worried about how Lou will treat him. Will he get yanked at any sign of trouble even if it is the first inning again. I think if Hill is doing well Lou will put him in place of whatever the weak link is at the time. It remains to be seen to me though how he will react with Hill.

poodski
07-21-2008, 11:47 AM
He usually gives up at least 4 runs and occasionally has a good day. (Say the game against L.A.)

He has started 17 games and given up at least 4 runs in only 6 of those games. At best I would say your math is a little fuzzy.

Just in comparison Z has given up 4 runs of more 5 times in 19 outings and Dempster has dont it 5 times in 21 outings. Lilly has done it 9 times in 21 outings.

Randall Simon
07-21-2008, 04:52 PM

I bet he'd come down with a mysterious injury right around the time Hill is ready to return.

kingsfan15
07-21-2008, 05:21 PM
I bet he'd come down with a mysterious injury right around the time Hill is ready to return.

lol, that would be convenient

BigBruceRogers
07-21-2008, 05:48 PM
What is he doing in Class A Daytona? Whatever... call him up for long relief now that Wood is out.

Acronym
07-21-2008, 06:10 PM
What is he doing in Class A Daytona? Whatever... call him up for long relief now that Wood is out.

And this year's "Where have you been since April?" Award goes to..... BigBruceRogers! Congratulations! Would you like to thank anyone?