PDA

View Full Version : Don Nelson

Ryanlovesbaron
07-18-2008, 04:42 PM
why is he still our coach, hes completely overrated as a coach, hopefully next year we get a real coach we should just fire him now

yes yes we had 2 straight winning seasons, but was it he who got them for us. NO!!!!the players we had had the talent to go farther then stupid don nelson brought us. don nelson didnt do jack for this team!!!!!!!we shouldve at least made playoffs this year!!! its his fault!!well never win a championship under CRAZY DON AND HIS STUPID NELLIEBALL!!!!!

tru_warrior
07-18-2008, 04:47 PM
so you want to get rid of the guy who just gave us two straight winning seasons? and might i add...he was the last guy to give us a winning season when he was our coach in his first tenure here.

can any other coach in this league make this work with the group of guys we have? no

garlicboy
07-18-2008, 05:32 PM
When the Nellie bashers come out, I know the people have to be new fans. We haven't been an winner and a playoff team since he left.

I love the "Nellie doesn't play rookies commets!" The old Skool fans remember starting rookies like Tim Hardaway, Latrell Sprewell, Webber, T. Hill Marciulionis. He didn't play guys who weren't as good, Gatling, Alexander, etc. It's crazy that he actually did play these guys.

I also get a kick out of players who say Nellie "doesn't want a big man." He traded for Rony Seikaly a former All Star Center, Chris Webber whom he gave up 3 1st round picks and Anfernee Hardaway for and was always trying to get the rights to Arvydas Sabonis who I would've loved to see play against Hakeem and Patrick. Sabonis came to the NBA after 2 achilles surgeries and in his 30's and was still one of the best.

Don Nelson also played with the player with the most rings in the history of the NBA for 4 years straight, Bill Russell. I think Don Nelson knows the importance of a big man. The Celts were the first run and gun team in the NBA headed by the flashy Boby Cousy, but it all started with Bill Russell playing great defense blocking shots, rebounding and outleting to the PG.

Give Nellie a big man, and their always in the playoffs, i.e. Dallas Mavs. From worst to first in the West under Nellie.

Giants4Tniners
07-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Nelson is a great coach, In any situation he will make your team better, the only thing he hasnt done in this league is coach an NBA champion.
Some use that against him. 2 different times he has taken over this team and changed it for the better,Give the guy a break!

ULT WARRIOR408
07-18-2008, 06:12 PM
How Good Was The Dubs Before Nellie Came Back We Stunk He Made Us A Contender & Like The Thread That I Posted He Should Be Our G.m. If Aint Gonna Be Our Coach. You Can Say He's Both Rite Now Cuz He's Making All Of The Front Office Choices Even Though Mullin Gets All Of The Credit

Thatruth32
07-18-2008, 06:13 PM
so you want to get rid of the guy who just gave us two straight winning seasons? and might i add...he was the last guy to give us a winning season when he was our coach in his first tenure here.

can any other coach in this league make this work with the group of guys we have? no

:clap:

Tmac416
07-18-2008, 06:18 PM
When the Nellie bashers come out, I know the people have to be new fans. We haven't been an winner and a playoff team since he left.

I love the "Nellie doesn't play rookies commets!" The old Skool fans remember starting rookies like Tim Hardaway, Latrell Sprewell, Webber, T. Hill Marciulionis. He didn't play guys who weren't as good, Gatling, Alexander, etc. It's crazy that he actually did play these guys.

I also get a kick out of players who say Nellie "doesn't want a big man." He traded for Rony Seikaly a former All Star Center, Chris Webber whom he gave up 3 1st round picks and Anfernee Hardaway for and was always trying to get the rights to Arvydas Sabonis who I would've loved to see play against Hakeem and Patrick. Sabonis came to the NBA after 2 achilles surgeries and in his 30's and was still one of the best.

Don Nelson also played with the player with the most rings in the history of the NBA for 4 years straight, Bill Russell. I think Don Nelson knows the importance of a big man. The Celts were the first run and gun team in the NBA headed by the flashy Boby Cousy, but it all started with Bill Russell playing great defense blocking shots, rebounding and outleting to the PG.

Give Nellie a big man, and their always in the playoffs, i.e. Dallas Mavs. From worst to first in the West under Nellie.

lol seriously. thats i think its funny that people think oh nellie loves to just stick 6'6 guys pf all the time. he did that cuzx he had to. thats why webbeer is sitll the ebst big man to ever play in nelleis system not mention the perfect fit. he knwos you dont become a serious contender with 6'6 pf the whole seaosn.

Saltinuts40
07-18-2008, 06:34 PM
why is he still our coach, hes completely overrated as a coach, hopefully next year we get a real coach we should just fire him now

yes yes we had 2 straight winning seasons, but was it he who got them for us. NO!!!!the players we had had the talent to go farther then stupid don nelson brought us. don nelson didnt do jack for this team!!!!!!!we shouldve at least made playoffs this year!!! its his fault!!well never win a championship under CRAZY DON AND HIS STUPID NELLIEBALL!!!!!

How ignorant are you. How many playoff games did we play in in between Nelson's 1st and most recent tenure as our coach?

Zero!!!!!!!!!!

Stop making posts if you are going to be this ignorant.

tru_warrior
07-18-2008, 07:17 PM
This guy obviously doesnt know jack ***** about Warriors basketball. You're probably the type of fan who catches games while flipping through channels, watches 2 or 3 games a season and then thinks he knows what's going on.

Any "true" Warriors fan would know that if it wasn't for Nelson, our reputation as an NBA team would be that similar to the Clippers or the Bobcats. How does a guy who revives an almost dead Warriors fan base after 14 years suddenly become an over rated coach? All of our playoff runs during the past decade (and a half) have been under coach Nelson.

i know you're referring to me...the truest warrior of them all :D

Conor
07-18-2008, 07:25 PM
The Warriors are full of players who wouldn't be nearly as productive in a normal system. So to fire Nellie would be to put our entire team out of its element and thus, make them a losing team.

But there has been way too much insulting of the threadmaker, just discuss the topic at hand without the name calling.

tru_warrior
07-18-2008, 07:31 PM
The Warriors are full of players who wouldn't be nearly as productive in a normal system. So to fire Nellie would be to put our entire team out of its element and thus, make them a losing team.

But there has been way too much insulting of the threadmaker, just discuss the topic at hand without the name calling.

LOL i was just about to say ULTWARRIOR was off the hook because we have a new starter of dumb threads. I kinda enjoyed ULT's threads more than these.

Webelievegs!
07-18-2008, 08:37 PM
i know you're referring to me...the truest warrior of them all :D

Yes I was...:D

IamTurboman
07-18-2008, 08:53 PM

He took the same team Mike Montgomery had and won with them. Plus the style is fun to watch. Also he is one of the winningest coaches of all time! What are you smoking?:smoking:

GIANTS15
07-18-2008, 09:19 PM

wow dont agree with that comment...your basically saying our roster is compiled with system players? (this isnt Duke or Stanford)...thats why every year past and present that nelson has been the coach of the warriors other teams come knocking for our players....nobody would wont jackson,ellis,biedrins,wright,bellinelli or harrington because their a product of Nellie ball right ? and could never play in a normal system (like the ones that got them into the nba huh:rolleyes:)

the magic and clippers obviously dont see our players as ones who wouldn't be nearly as productive in a normal system based on them going after pietras ,b davis and now azabukie (magic and clips do not play run and gun ball or any uptempo offense)...i truly believe if any of the players ive named above played for other teams they would still be or become productive players for who ever they play for.....jmo

Conor
07-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Not every player, but yes a lot of our guys succeed because of the freedom and tempo of our sytem. In the half court, Biedrins would get broken in half, Ellis would not have nearly the space necessary for his speed to be as much of a factor, Jackson's offense which consists of jacking up 3s in the open court would be diminished, Harrington's lack of rebounding would be even more of a problem, and the list goes on. Of course these players would still be good....but not to their full potential. Nellieball brings the best out of many of these guys.

tru_warrior
07-18-2008, 10:29 PM
^agreed. would any other coach allow their players to hoist up quick threes the way nellie does? that's why it was emphasized so much the past two seasons about how players like jackson succeed on the warriors. it's because they dont have to worry about the consequences if they miss a shot...they can just keep shooting because nelllie doesn't really believe in "bad shots".

and biedrins...im interested in seeing how he handles this season without the pick and rolls with baron because aside from tip ins at the basket, the only reason he scores in double digits is because of baron.

Manila Hitman
07-18-2008, 10:53 PM
Don Nelson is a great NBA coach. The only problem with him is that he will never win a NBA championship because he does not emphisize the key thing to win a championship: DEFENSE. In order for the Warriors to make that step in the right direction, we need to have the basic defensive fundamentals down. The Warriors are the worst rotating defensive squad I've seen. How many times last year did we see open 3 point shots for the other team? Boat loads. I know it is not him out in the court and his players should be the ones performing, but getting his team prepared is his job. On transistion defense, there were many occasions where Monta would run side by side with the ballhandler pushing the break. Why is he side by side with him? Isn't he the fastest guy in the league? Fundamentals tells you to step in front of the man to prevent him from having a clear lane to the basket. Shouldn't Nelson be the one to tell Monta at one point of the season to do that basic fundamental move?

I will say this about Nellie, he changed the culture that we had to endure for 13 seasons. I see why many of you feel strongly about Nelson. He was the last coach to keep us respectable and is the coach that brought us back. Cowan, Adelman, and Montgomery did not do that for us (I won't bash Musselman because he had a young squad that won 38 games and just missed the playoffs by 2 games). Hell, Nellie led us to winning playoff series where we were huge underdogs (The Spurs when D Rob was guarded by Tom Tolbert and the heartless Mavs). Nellie is a god sent for now, but if you think that we can go to the next level with him, I just don't see it.

These are my rants. May the bashing begin :)

Webelievegs!
07-18-2008, 11:11 PM
Don Nelson is a great NBA coach. The only problem with him is that he will never win a NBA championship because he does not emphisize the key thing to win a championship: DEFENSE. In order for the Warriors to make that step in the right direction, we need to have the basic defensive fundamentals down. The Warriors are the worst rotating defensive squad I've seen. How many times last year did we see open 3 point shots for the other team? Boat loads. I know it is not him out in the court and his players should be the ones performing, but getting his team prepared is his job. On transistion defense, there were many occasions where Monta would run side by side with the ballhandler pushing the break. Why is he side by side with him? Isn't he the fastest guy in the league? Fundamentals tells you to step in front of the man to prevent him from having a clear lane to the basket. Shouldn't Nelson be the one to tell Monta at one point of the season to do that basic fundamental move?

I will say this about Nellie, he changed the culture that we had to endure for 13 seasons. I see why many of you feel strongly about Nelson. He was the last coach to keep us respectable and is the coach that brought us back. Cowan, Adelman, and Montgomery did not do that for us (I won't bash Musselman because he had a young squad that won 38 games and just missed the playoffs by 2 games). Hell, Nellie led us to winning playoff series where we were huge underdogs (The Spurs when D Rob was guarded by Tom Tolbert and the heartless Mavs). Nellie is a god sent for now, but if you think that we can go to the next level with him, I just don't see it.

These are my fants. May the bashing begin :)

It couldn't have been said any better my friend. Bravo...Bravo:clap:

cali72888
07-19-2008, 01:46 AM

ur an idiot......dont call yourself a warriors fan if you cannot respect one of the best coaches we have ever had.

cheesy poofs
07-19-2008, 02:27 AM
The only problem with him is that he will never win a NBA championship because...you forgot to add "as a coach". Nellie has actually won 5 championships as a player.

look it up, technically, the bucks were a good defensive team during that era. he had two players selected as all-nba defenders during his tenure, moncrief & pressey. that team's "oddity" was the point forward concept.

won't win an NBA championship, but he did coach dream team II to the 1994 FIBA World Championship :up:

if Knicks management had only listened to him about trading Patrick Ewing and going for Shaq in free agency... of course this pissed off Ewing and got Nelson fired, but who knows...

either way, Nelson likely won't be around for much longer. Unless he cares about passing Lenny's win total, he probably be gone by year's end b/c he can't stand losing.

garlicboy
07-19-2008, 03:41 AM
Not every player, but yes a lot of our guys succeed because of the freedom and tempo of our sytem. In the half court, Biedrins would get broken in half, Ellis would not have nearly the space necessary for his speed to be as much of a factor, Jackson's offense which consists of jacking up 3s in the open court would be diminished, Harrington's lack of rebounding would be even more of a problem, and the list goes on. Of course these players would still be good....but not to their full potential. Nellieball brings the best out of many of these guys.

Connor,
I'd have to disagree. I think because the Dubs like an uptempo game, that they can't play in the halfcourt offense. They can, it's just that the Dubs are deadly uptempo.

3 rule changes have significantly impacted the game and given the advantage to players who possess speed and quickness.
1.) Handcheck rule
2.) Illegal defense
3.) Restricted area

If Tony Parker can thrive in a halfcourt set, so can Monta as both these players attack the paint using speed and quickness. We've all seen Monta attack the paint in a halfcourt set with success. However offensively, I would rather have Monta over Parker because in addition to penetrating, Monta can also pulll of the 15'-18' Jumper.