PDA

View Full Version : Article: State of the Chicago Bulls

JordansBulls
07-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Source: NBADraft.net (http://www.nbadraft.net/2008_stateofthecap_bulls.html)

Granted this was before the draft when this article was written, but I think it is explained pretty well concerning us and most teams.

The Good:
What a difference a year makes. The Bulls won 49 games last season and appeared to be easy candidates for a top seed in the playoffs. Instead, they got off to a bad start, fired coach Scott Skiles, and floundered to just 33 victories. The basketball gods must have felt sorry for them since they bestowed upon Chicago the number one pick in the draft. This is an excellent chance for the team to reverse its fortunes and add a franchise player (Derrick Rose) to the line-up.

Drew Gooden played pretty well after joining the team during the Ben Wallace trade. He averaged 14 points, 9.3 rebounds, and 1.3 blocks in the last 18 games before missing some time due to an abdominal strain. If Gooden isnít part of Chicagoís future plans, his $7.1 million salary for next season makes him a very tradable asset, especially since itís the final year of his contract.

The Bad:
The Ben Wallace embarrassment thankfully didnít last long in the Windy City. The disappointing forward never came close to his old, dominating self. Unfortunately, in order to get rid of him, the Bulls had to take Larry Hughes in return. His contract is slightly cheaper and the same length as Wallaceís, but that doesnít mean itís any less awful. Hughes still hasnít learned how to shoot effectively. He averaged just 38% from the field this year. He also isnít nearly as versatile in his rebounding and passing as he used to be. At $12.8 and $13.6 million the next two years, Hughes will be severely overpaid. No wonder Cleveland was so happy to get rid of him.

In the first season of a new five-year, $47.5 million dollar contract, Kirk Hinrich took a step back. His scoring average dipped five points to 11.5 and his shooting percentage fell to a sub-par 41%. Now, with the possibility of Rose joining the team, Hinrich might have to be traded to make room at the point. His contract isnít ridiculously expensive to trade, but with four years left and Hinrich coming off a poor season, the Bulls would be selling on the low end of his value. Perhaps they will let the tandem exist together for a while and bring Hinrich's value up before looking to move him.

Andres Nocioni also started a five-year contract last season, this one worth about $37.5 million. Nocioni is an excellent role player, but just like Hinrich, after signing the big contract his numbers took a hit. For now, Iíll place the blame on a rough season that gave everyoneís stats at least a small decline. However, Iíd like to see a little more production out of Nocioni for that kind of dough.

The Future:
The biggest decision for the Chicago Bulls this summer might not be who they draft but how they handle resigning their two best players, Ben Gordon and Luol Deng. Both are excellent young players and restricted free agents who will command a fairly decent price on the market. If Chicago signs both to contacts similar to Hinrich, they will have roughly $50 million wrapped up in just five players the next two seasons. In other words, say goodbye to any cap space for a while. If you are winning 49 games and getting to the second round of the playoffs every year, then it is simply an acceptable hazard that comes with success. If you are winning 33 games and participating in the lottery every year, then it is disastrous.

We must also consider that the $50 million in players does not include a competent center. Tyrus Thomas and Joakim Noah might be good contributors in a few years, but Drew Gooden is really the only dependable frontline player that they have and he might not be around for very long. A recent marijuana charge by Noah further dampens the situation and casts some doubt about his career. Chicago might be forced to make some major moves this summer to reshape its team for a better future. That includes possibly trading Gordon or Deng along with Hinrich to get a talented center and save a little money. The decisions they make in the next few months will have major ramifications down the road. Itís time for John Paxson to make up for the whole Tyson Chandler-Ben Wallace debacle.

kozelkid
07-18-2008, 04:07 PM
it's nice to think about trading for a talented center. too bad talented centers are rare and hard to get. who does this guy have in mind? dwight howard? lol.
fact is, talented centers are almost impossible to get and your best bet is to draft them.
also I think we had a thread on this before

jtlive2006
07-18-2008, 04:20 PM
i remember seeing this article somewhere.....

Anyways, hopefully we could get a nice young center in 2010 *cough* Amare *cough*

kozelkid
07-18-2008, 04:53 PM

Anyways, hopefully we could get a nice young center in 2010 *cough* Amare *cough*

he aint a true center, though i'd love him nonetheless. he is a pf, who suns put as center, because they are an uptempo team. I do think he can spend some time at the center position, but he isnt good enough to play center only like dwight or bynum. That's why, btw, suns struggled in rebounding while amare played center and were one of the worst until they did that trade for shaq, which kerr hoped would cure that problem, but it ****ed up other problems...
anyways, I prefer bosh, 2 years young, and I'll take a guy whose successful in fundamentals and plays better D over simply an athletic guy anyday of the week, especially when they are that equally matched.

JordansBulls
07-18-2008, 05:30 PM

True, but the only person he has to worry about matching up with would be Dwight in the East.

Tyrus Thomas
07-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Bosh and JO,Dalembert, Sheed, Big Z. Its also hard to even see him get physical with Brand, Okefor, Bogut and KG.

Vincent
07-18-2008, 06:22 PM
Whoa now, Amare isn't a punny weakling.

He's freaking huge for a power foward. He just doesn't have the mindset of a Center. I think he'd be servicable as a Center in the East, if he learns how to play tougher defense, rather than just weakside help.

No one really matches up with Howard. He's too athletic, long, and fast. If anything Amare matches up the best compared to all the other slower, older, and smaller Centers that were mentioned.

kozelkid
07-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Whoa now, Amare isn't a punny weakling.

He's freaking huge for a power foward. He just doesn't have the mindset of a Center. I think he'd be servicable as a Center in the East, if he learns how to play tougher defense, rather than just weakside help.

No one really matches up with Howard. He's too athletic, long, and fast. If anything Amare matches up the best compared to all the other slower, older, and smaller Centers that were mentioned.

bingo. he plays bigger than he is and has the strength and athleticism, but defensively, not so much. he also isnt very agressive when it comes to getting boards, I dont think he ever even averaged double digit rebounds (correct me if I'm wrong), and if you cant do that as center then you got a problem. Fact is he is better fit like pf the way he plays who can play center from time to time.

Vincent
07-18-2008, 06:35 PM
bingo. he plays bigger than he is and has the strength and athleticism, but defensively, not so much. he also isnt very agressive when it comes to getting boards, I dont think he ever even averaged double digit rebounds (correct me if I'm wrong), and if you cant do that as center then you got a problem. Fact is he is better fit like pf the way he plays who can play center from time to time.

He's come very close

9.6 in 2006-2007
9.1 in 2007-2008

I'd still pick him up. He's VERY good for being 26, and will be even better when he's 28 (when his contract expires).

kozelkid
07-18-2008, 06:47 PM
He's come very close

9.6 in 2006-2007
9.1 in 2007-2008

I'd still pick him up. He's VERY good for being 26, and will be even better when he's 28 (when his contract expires).

Oh I would too, but as a pf, not a center, but that's assuming of course that tyrus busts... I just dont think he's got enough to be a center, and he is also very athletic, while that's good, very athletic players also tend to decline earlier, especially when they depend too much on athleticism... Also, while it's close to double digit reboudning, you'd have expect not simply double digits, but around the 12's if you want to be a good center, look at bynum(by end of his season, when got hot, so look at splits...) and dwight) yao may be an exception but he did get at least 11... I like amare, but I just dont think he's fit as a center and doesnt play like one, especially defensively. I dont think he will ever be a good enough defender to be a center and a weakside defender as your center is a bad idea... Like I said amare can play some center, but he's better at pf, hell look at his splits this season....
I perfer bosh at pf either way... bosh being a more fundamental player will last longer in the nba and is also 2 years younger...

Vincent
07-18-2008, 07:04 PM
Yao and Dwight didn't have this another 9+ rebounder playing alongside them.

Amare had to snatch rebounds with Shaq (10.6 with the Suns) and Marion (9.9 with the Suns).

Next closest for
Yao, Luis Scola (6.4)
Dwight, Turkoglu (5.7)

And Bynum barely had double digit rebounds (10.2) and he did it in less games (35). Bynum could've very well tapered off towards the end of a long season. Plus, Odom was a better rebounder than him (10.6).

Amare is a decent rebounder, and has good size at 6'10. I think he would thrive in a halfcourt setting of the East, since he is one of the most unguardable players in the league.

playanomor
07-19-2008, 12:18 PM
Precisely... the argument has to be made both ways. While playing Amare at the center could be a defensive liability, it also creates a mismatch on the offensive side, and I'll take that mismatch every day because I'm confident Amare can do more than whoever he's defending.

JordansBulls
07-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Precisely... the argument has to be made both ways. While playing Amare at the center could be a defensive liability, it also creates a mismatch on the offensive side, and I'll take that mismatch every day because I'm confident Amare can do more than whoever he's defending.

I think a lot depends on who the other big man is as well on our team.

jon-jon
07-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Amare could definitely hold his own at center in the East.

Heck, He's has done it in the much stronger West all these years.

kozelkid
07-19-2008, 02:26 PM
I think a lot depends on who the other big man is as well on our team.

like I said, if we have noah alongside him, I am all for it, because noah is a center anyway. if we have him alongside tyrus, I'd be far more hesitant cause tyrus himself is considered undersized for a pf. I also wouldnt mind a 3 man rotation of the 3, but the only problem is that amare would demand 40mpg, which only leaves 28mpg for each noah and tyrus, and if tyrus does reach his potential, he will definitly deserve over 30mpg, more like 35mpg at least, and noah as well if he becomes good, who will demand around 32mpg (camby like). I do expect noah to be that 32mpg type player, but tyrus is the wildcard. I dont think he will quite reach the superstar talent of amare or bosh, but I expect him to hopefully be at the level of west and boozer. Like I said, amare is good, but if he is primarily our center, I will have a problem with it, because defensively he is a weakside defender, and that will hurt this team alot because our center shouldnt be weakside, and having our 2 biggest men (tyrus and amare) be weakside defenders will hurt our team very badly. if we do decide to get amare in 2010, tyrus will probably have to be dumped(assuming he becomes good), and noah will have to stay cause he isnt a weakside defender like tyrus... with bosh it's much easier, cause he isnt a weakside and we can possibly play bosh with tyrus, cause bosh isnt a weakside defender. Like I said it falls all on tyrus, if he becomes boozer or west like, keep him, forget bosh and amare. now if noah becomes a dud, that's where the huge problem comes in since we wont have a good true center that can be a lockdown force in the middle (defensively), and 2010 doesnt have any free agent for that, so we would have to look to deal for say okafor...

bullsriver23
07-19-2008, 05:16 PM
like I said, if we have noah alongside him, I am all for it, because noah is a center anyway. if we have him alongside tyrus, I'd be far more hesitant cause tyrus himself is considered undersized for a pf. I also wouldnt mind a 3 man rotation of the 3, but the only problem is that amare would demand 40mpg, which only leaves 28mpg for each noah and tyrus, and if tyrus does reach his potential, he will definitly deserve over 30mpg, more like 35mpg at least, and noah as well if he becomes good, who will demand around 32mpg (camby like). I do expect noah to be that 32mpg type player, but tyrus is the wildcard. I dont think he will quite reach the superstar talent of amare or bosh, but I expect him to hopefully be at the level of west and boozer. Like I said, amare is good, but if he is primarily our center, I will have a problem with it, because defensively he is a weakside defender, and that will hurt this team alot because our center shouldnt be weakside, and having our 2 biggest men (tyrus and amare) be weakside defenders will hurt our team very badly. if we do decide to get amare in 2010, tyrus will probably have to be dumped(assuming he becomes good), and noah will have to stay cause he isnt a weakside defender like tyrus... with bosh it's much easier, cause he isnt a weakside and we can possibly play bosh with tyrus, cause bosh isnt a weakside defender. Like I said it falls all on tyrus, if he becomes boozer or west like, keep him, forget bosh and amare. now if noah becomes a dud, that's where the huge problem comes in since we wont have a good true center that can be a lockdown force in the middle (defensively), and 2010 doesnt have any free agent for that, so we would have to look to deal for say okafor...

I think you are overstimating Tyrus habilities, both of them West and Boozer are excellent offensive players. Boozer is one of the few capable of scoring consistenly in low post and medium range, West also is good. Tyrus is a "potential" players who has not low post game and his mid range is still developing, also he is undersized.
Of our frontcourt the only who can score is Gooden but he is not consistent. Noah is the one who most concers me, he has not offensive game and you can't pair Noah and Tyrus because the defense would laugh of their inability to score .
It would be great to have someone like Boozer, West or Bosh but the fact is we don't , maybe a kind of Alridge player will have help but we lack of one like him.

kozelkid
07-19-2008, 05:45 PM
I think you are overstimating Tyrus habilities, both of them West and Boozer are excellent offensive players. Boozer is one of the few capable of scoring consistenly in low post and medium range, West also is good. Tyrus is a "potential" players who has not low post game and his mid range is still developing, also he is undersized.
Of our frontcourt the only who can score is Gooden but he is not consistent. Noah is the one who most concers me, he has not offensive game and you can't pair Noah and Tyrus because the defense would laugh of their inability to score .
It would be great to have someone like Boozer, West or Bosh but the fact is we don't , maybe a kind of Alridge player will have help but we lack of one like him.

well for one tyrus coming in had more potential than either of the 2. He also had a better rookie and 2nd season than west did. WE shall see if tyrus does indeed become good or not which is why I am saying that in 2010 we will have a chance at a bosh/amare or stay with tyrus