PDA

View Full Version : Manny gets fined 6 figures then retaliates?

asomen
07-18-2008, 12:49 PM
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/07/report_manny_fi.html

If this is true...I seriously want Manny out of a Sox uniform by the end of this season. His actions have now hurt the Sox team as a whole...not just his self image.

It does all make sense now with that at bat. When was the last time Manny looked stupid at the plate and looked at 3 straight pitches without swinging and didn't even complain? If he seriously sent a message to the Sox while pinch hitting in an at bat that cost the Sox a game in the standings...I am fed up with him.

Manny being Manny was cute and funny....until he takes it to a level when he brings down a loss.

The Intimidator
07-18-2008, 02:07 PM
I remember jumping out of my seat when he took that third strike...it pissed me off so much. That is classless on the part of Manny if it is true, which it probably is. However, I would still be in favor of picking up his option at season's end...if he continues to produce. He's had moments like this before...like refusing to pinch hit against the Phillies in 2003, not running out a ground ball against Tampa Bay during the same season, and other things. We have forgiven him before, and I'm sure that management will forgive him again. He's a baby at times, but he's our baby.

JPapelbon58
07-18-2008, 02:11 PM
but hes our baby, thats hilarious lol

IceMan360
07-18-2008, 02:16 PM
what a ******* wow. For manny sake this better be untrue cause if it is, he's quickly playin his way out of a redsox uniform

The Intimidator
07-18-2008, 02:20 PM
but hes our baby, thats hilarious lol

thought of it all by myself :D

The Intimidator
07-18-2008, 02:22 PM
what a ******* wow. For manny sake this better be untrue cause if it is, he's quickly playin his way out of a redsox uniform

like i said earlier, he's had other incidents like this before...maybe not as severe as shoving an elderly man, but he seems to have a free pass with this ownership. without a doubt, henry is pissed, but he knows how valueable of a hitter manny is.

JPapelbon58
07-18-2008, 02:25 PM
this story is untrue. if anything this is the redsox ownerships fault, and no im not trying to defend manny. What he did was wrong, but they talked about it after, Manny apoligized, and there cool now, there is no reason for the managment to punish manny, if Mccormick wasnt asking for manny to be punished. This is pretty much showing you, that the red sox ownership wants manny out, and there gonna ruin his reputation just enough before they let him go, that nobody else would want him

The Intimidator
07-18-2008, 02:30 PM
so you're saying that manny's at-bat against rivera didn't look at all suspicious?

Tragedy
07-18-2008, 03:13 PM
Good.

I'm sick and tired of his childish antics.

KniCks4LiFe
07-18-2008, 03:21 PM
so you're saying that manny's at-bat against rivera didn't look at all suspicious?

No doubt that if Manny gets a hit there we were heading for a tails spin, I also was surprised he took 3 pitches.

CyYoungPapelbon
07-18-2008, 03:46 PM
This is all speculation, by Lobel and whoever he talked to that works for the Red Sox. He provides no facts and nothing but "feelings" here.

I'll believe it and get pissed at Manny when there is actually some evidence that this is true.

RedSoxRok34
07-18-2008, 03:53 PM
this whole thing is out of control.

Point 1: Manny was way out of line when he took those pitches. I remember thinking it was pretty weird. Now I know why.

Point 2: Manny should not have been fined six figures for shoving a guy who quickly said it wasn't a big deal and to let it go. six figures is most of what some of our best players make, and they wouldn't fine pedroia or papelbon a good chunk of their salary for one minor altercation. this was a shot directly at Manny because he's Manny.

Point 3: Manny is NOT out of line to ask what they're planning to do with his options, and is definitely not out of line to suggest they'll say one thing and do another. for those of you who disagree with me on that point, i have just two words for you: "Bronson Arroyo". nothing like a guy taking a hometown discount, then the team using that to ship him out. and Manny had a front row seat to it. he has a right to be suspicious after that stunt.

CyYoungPapelbon
07-18-2008, 05:16 PM
Edes: Manny's fine wildy overstated...

According to industry sources, Ramirez, in addition to apologizing to McCormick, paid a fine of between $10,000 to $15,000, with the money going to an agreed-upon charity. The fine is at the lower end of that range.Reports that Ramirez had been assessed a six-figure fine are not true, and Red Sox officials have not raised the issue that Ramirez's strikeout against Mariano Rivera in a pinch-hit appearance July 6 was in any way related to the discipline administered.
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/07/mannys_fine_wil.html

Not too surprising that Lobel was wrong. He's a drunk who hasn't broken news or had legit sources in years.

cocossox
07-18-2008, 05:53 PM
Good.

I'm sick and tired of his childish antics.Agree I am so totally fed up with everyone having to treat him with kid gloves I know he's a good player in all yeah I get that but when is enough enough?

RedSoxtober
07-18-2008, 08:27 PM
this story is untrue. if anything this is the redsox ownerships fault, and no im not trying to defend manny. What he did was wrong, but they talked about it after, Manny apoligized, and there cool now, there is no reason for the managment to punish manny, if Mccormick wasnt asking for manny to be punished. This is pretty much showing you, that the red sox ownership wants manny out, and there gonna ruin his reputation just enough before they let him go, that nobody else would want him

Yes, the FO has every right to fine Manny regardless of what McCormick said. If we follow your logic then the guy who killed 10 Amish girls in their community built school should not have been tried for murder because their families forgave the killer and prayed with his family.

There is right and wrong, actions and consequences. The people responsible should take action and, if they choose not to, should expect to encourage the behavior they despise.

It wasn't six figures (only 10-15K) but it would have been fine with me if it were.

this whole thing is out of control.

Point 1: Manny was way out of line when he took those pitches. I remember thinking it was pretty weird. Now I know why.

Point 2: Manny should not have been fined six figures for shoving a guy who quickly said it wasn't a big deal and to let it go. six figures is most of what some of our best players make, and they wouldn't fine pedroia or papelbon a good chunk of their salary for one minor altercation. this was a shot directly at Manny because he's Manny.

Point 3: Manny is NOT out of line to ask what they're planning to do with his options, and is definitely not out of line to suggest they'll say one thing and do another. for those of you who disagree with me on that point, i have just two words for you: "Bronson Arroyo". nothing like a guy taking a hometown discount, then the team using that to ship him out. and Manny had a front row seat to it. he has a right to be suspicious after that stunt.

Pt 2: You obviously have absolutely no sense of 'scale'. $100K to Manny is like $2k to Pedroia or Papelbon. You really think that fining him less than an inning's pay is gonna get his attention?

Pt 3: Only in professional sports do we 'expect' what is completely unacceptable in every other area of life. When you get out into the full time work force you'll realize that you don't get to question what your employers plans are. You can ask but, until you're the decision maker, you have no rights.

If Manny wanted a 'right' to know what his fate would be, he could have negotiated it. He could have had the clauses exercised in tandem, demanded an early 'intention' date, ... whatever. He didn't. The team gets to decide and he's employed at will.

Vthockeydad
07-18-2008, 09:17 PM
RedSoxtober
I like your thinking about the size of the fine. It is not a huge fine for someone making $20 million a year but again, we don't know if it is true. The Sox had to fine him, period. That is unacceptable. Gee, do you think Manny could afford 18 tickets if he wanted ?

The Intimidator
07-18-2008, 09:34 PM
RedSoxtober
I like your thinking about the size of the fine. It is not a huge fine for someone making $20 million a year but again, we don't know if it is true. The Sox had to fine him, period. That is unacceptable. Gee, do you think Manny could afford 18 tickets if he wanted ?

He very well could have...but why buy the tickets when you can bully an elderly man for them. Oh well...at least the fine went to charity.

lil'papi
07-19-2008, 09:13 AM
My understanding is now Manny has fired Boras and hired his old agent back.

I heard the whole Lobel rant on radio WEEI he was either drunk or has lost his marbles. A caller totally agreed with an assessment of Manny by Lobel, so Lobel said he disagreed with him? WTF, myself and my son starting laughing......he just agreed with you so you disagree?

He then went on this Luchinno rant how he holds the team together. He was just making chit up as he went along. He was awful as a TV sports anchor and he is worse now with his inflated drunken ego.

This guy is so done.

Manny probably did screw up the AB to show his boss up. It was the worst AB I've seen by a pro player. Stand there and watch.....Rivera was given the edge by the ump and that surely helped. Manny didn't have his own batting helmet on and someone also mentioned he didn't have his own bat either?

Who does things like that?

Manny screwed with Henry is like stepping on my rottweilers foot.....good luck with the results. :D They both bite back....hard.

bagwell368
07-19-2008, 02:46 PM
I heard the whole Lobel rant on radio WEEI he was either drunk or has lost his marbles. A caller totally agreed with an assessment of Manny by Lobel, so Lobel said he disagreed with him? WTF, myself and my son starting laughing......he just agreed with you so you disagree?

I don't know for a fact, but it seems to me that Lobel may have had a stroke, or gone onto some strong meds. He was always more smile/flirt then substance, but at least in the old days he was somewhat charming. Now he just seems unaware of his surroundings and full of factual mistakes and misstepps. Sad stuff...

celticfan
07-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Manny will always be manny

lil'papi
07-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Lobel also mentioned he fired Boras or changed back to his old agent, didn't happen.

When he first did TV sports he was ok , no doubts. Now he tries to be relevant and that's a serious mistake. He makes a fool of himself.

He acts like he is the only one that has a clue. The other bozo is Bob Neumeier the guy has no clue. They must use the same Dr. for their scripts. He made these crazy comments about Pedroia last year saying he never heard of him. Well that's sad.....He said what had Mark Loretta done anyway? He could not remember his name?

Why bother having him on let him stick to Olympic trials.

RedSoxRok34
07-20-2008, 12:42 PM
Yes, the FO has every right to fine Manny regardless of what McCormick said. If we follow your logic then the guy who killed 10 Amish girls in their community built school should not have been tried for murder because their families forgave the killer and prayed with his family.

There is right and wrong, actions and consequences. The people responsible should take action and, if they choose not to, should expect to encourage the behavior they despise.

It wasn't six figures (only 10-15K) but it would have been fine with me if it were.

Pt 2: You obviously have absolutely no sense of 'scale'. $100K to Manny is like $2k to Pedroia or Papelbon. You really think that fining him less than an inning's pay is gonna get his attention?

Pt 3: Only in professional sports do we 'expect' what is completely unacceptable in every other area of life. When you get out into the full time work force you'll realize that you don't get to question what your employers plans are. You can ask but, until you're the decision maker, you have no rights.
If Manny wanted a 'right' to know what his fate would be, he could have negotiated it. He could have had the clauses exercised in tandem, demanded an early 'intention' date, ... whatever. He didn't. The team gets to decide and he's employed at will.

well, right now im working full time, for walmart (a company many claim mistreats its employees, which is crap). because of my situation with living in NH and going to school in NY, i had to ask for multiple absence permissions, hoping to leave for a while and come back, then do it again, and again. and the store manager didn't protest, we just walked back to the office together and filled out a shitload of forms. and im just a cashier/courtesy associate, and im pretty new. manny is a superstar. OK, by now he's regressed to just plain star.

as theo epstein has emphasized numerous times, the red sox are a business. the players are employees of the red sox, and when an employee has questions about his job situation, it's not unreasonable to ask the bosses to just take some time to sit down with you and tell you what's what. that's all he's asking, and it's not out of line.

lil'papi
07-21-2008, 08:15 AM
well, right now im working full time, for walmart (a company many claim mistreats its employees, which is crap). because of my situation with living in NH and going to school in NY, i had to ask for multiple absence permissions, hoping to leave for a while and come back, then do it again, and again. and the store manager didn't protest, we just walked back to the office together and filled out a ****load of forms. and im just a cashier/courtesy associate, and im pretty new. manny is a superstar. OK, by now he's regressed to just plain star.

as theo epstein has emphasized numerous times, the red sox are a business. the players are employees of the red sox, and when an employee has questions about his job situation, it's not unreasonable to ask the bosses to just take some time to sit down with you and tell you what's what. that's all he's asking, and it's not out of line.

Oh my, you seriously missed the point. He HAS a contract he has done nothing for them at this point to get the extension early, in fact , he has hurt his chances tremendously.

He is a millionare owns part of Walmart. He isn't some part timer going to college. He for me is so done in Boston after the fosbury flop the other night. He doesn't RESPECT the game.

buh -bye........they should tell him to wait for his raise like everyone else. Players union also protects him you have one of those at WALMART?

Also WALMART paid huge fines for not giving employee lunch breaks! FACT. I'm not even going there.

He WANTS a long term extension thats the question. Not the two 1 year 20 mil extensions. Maybe people missed that point he wants a 3-4 yr deal to give him security.

They are thinking , if anything, maybe one more year.

(good luck getting your degree);)

RedSoxtober
07-21-2008, 08:29 AM

He then went on this Luchinno rant how he holds the team together. He was just making chit up as he went along. He was awful as a TV sports anchor and he is worse now with his inflated drunken ego.

I caught Lobel a year or so ago for the first time in a long time since moving to Greenville. I think it was on the sports talk show (TV) they do/did on Sunday nights. My reaction at the time was "WTF was that?" Whatever the cause I really do think he has lost it.

well, right now im working full time, for walmart (a company many claim mistreats its employees, which is crap). because of my situation with living in NH and going to school in NY, i had to ask for multiple absence permissions, hoping to leave for a while and come back, then do it again, and again. and the store manager didn't protest, we just walked back to the office together and filled out a ****load of forms. and im just a cashier/courtesy associate, and im pretty new. manny is a superstar. OK, by now he's regressed to just plain star.
Sorry, that doesn't qualify as 'full time'. No offense intended but that's a 'temporary help' position even if you're working 40hrs per week. I am talking about a full time, year round, support yourself/family job that earns you the money you need to eat. That boss will have crazy thoughts about you showing up every day, not taking vacation you haven't earned, and the like. Ask that guy if he will guarantee that you're going to have a job two years from now and I'll hear him laughing all the way down here in SC.

It sounds nice and all to suggest "he only wants to talk" but that's not true. When he throws in lines he heard from Pedro ("I think I have earned the respect...") and Schilling ("sit down with the FO... if they don't want me back I'll go somewhere else...") it's about money, contracts, and coercion. Hell, the whole 'security' argument ("I want to know where I will be for the next two years") is a line that Boras used to beat the Sox into giving 'Tek the option-turned-guaranteed year he's playing out.

Don't be mislead, this is not about 'talking'. This is Boras coaching Manny on how to generate FA interest. This is the exact same time of year that the $30M-man stuff came out about A-Rod (opt out clause), and how Rivera and Posada might walk if Torre wasn't re-signed (FAs). This is his MO.

lil'papi
07-21-2008, 09:41 AM
This time Boras is making a monster mistake. I'm sure at this point he is painting his way out of town.

Manny is looking for a longterm deal hence the Boras speak from him. Boras gets zilch as it stands. A longterm deal Boras gets paid.

Not rocket science.

This security he wants is a 3/60 or 4/80 mil deal. He already has told people Teixeira wants 24mil per.....NO WAY. Unless the Yankees pay him.

I could not agree more about Boras pulling his strings. But the strings come with serious warts like throwing old men down, misplaying a simple fly ball, not swinging during an AB with someone elses helmet on, nevermind the youk debacle, the high five catch....etc
He will do something else semi-******** before the yrs out too.

Boras picked a lemon and he is going to have a hard time making lemonade .;)

Eck said teammates are sick and tired of him , but won't say anything. John Henry we know will be hard pressed to sign anymore checks after this year.

This might jack Colorado's price up for Holliday too. Knowing full well we might need him more than ever.

I see the antics seriously hurting this team, lets hope Papi can make lemonade out of it. :eyebrow:

Petertherock
07-21-2008, 10:20 AM
I always liked Bob Lobel but it seems like he has gone downhill recently.