PDA

View Full Version : Article: State of the Houston Rockets

JordansBulls
07-18-2008, 12:16 PM
Source: NBADraft (http://www.nbadraft.net/2008_stateofthecap_rockets.html)

2008/09 Houston Rockets Payroll: $70.3 million
2008/09 Estimated Salary Cap: $58 million
Roughly $12.3 million over cap

Rockets may be over the cap but they are under the luxury tax which helps a lot.

The Good:
When the Rockets stole Luis Scola from the San Antonio Spurs for almost nothing, they knew they were getting a good player. As it turns out, they were right on the money. The Argentinean veteran had plenty of international experience.

He was able to step in and perform right away and he did very well, averaging 10.3 points and 6.4 rebounds on efficient 51.5% shooting. By the end of the season, Scola was a full time starter and he played his best ball of the year in the playoffs, averaging 14 points and 9.3 rebounds against the Jazz. Scola adds toughness and a high basketball IQ for just $3.1 and $3.3 million the next two seasons, making him an incredible value.

On a team full of excellent role players, Shane Battier is the best of the bunch. His stats won't immediately wow you (9.3 points, 5.1 rebounds), but his combination of defense, experience, and solid three point shooting make him indispensible. Battier is surprisingly the third highest paid player on the team, set to make $20.5 million over the next three years. Because of the intangibles he brings to the table, and his amazing health over his career, Battier is worth every penny.

The Bad:
The Rockets' best two players are also their biggest problems. Yao Ming has missed large chunks of three consecutive seasons, which is a disturbing trend. This time, it caused him to miss the playoffs. Yao will be paid $49 million the next three seasons combined and when healthy he is certainly capable of putting up numbers worthy of that price. His 22 points, 10.8 rebounds, 2.4 assists, and 2 blocks per game place him squarely in the conversation for best center in the league. However, he won't do his team any good sitting on the sideline year after year as opportunities are wasted.

Tracy McGrady has done a better job of staying on the court in recent years, yet he still missed 16 games this season. His stats would suggest that McGrady is still a versatile superstar with 21.6 points, 5.1 rebounds, and 5.9 assists each night, but his shooting percentages say otherwise. McGrady made just 41.9% of his shots, including a horrible 29.2% of his threes, the lowest he has shot from downtown in eight years. He is wasting a lot of good attempts on offense, a good reason why his scoring average is also at an eight-year low. Houston will be paying McGrady $21.1 and $23.2 million the next two seasons, an exorbitant amount for a superstar who is 0-7 in the first round of the playoffs. For that kind of money, McGrady needs to play much, much better.

The Future:
Yao and McGrady have been together in Houston now for four years and we still don’t know how good they can truly be together because neither of them can stay healthy for a full season. In their first year, Ming was just starting to become the player he is today. Without their injury woes, there is no telling what they could have accomplished. First and foremost, Houston needs to pray that they can finally piece together a full season as teammates.

Houston must find a way upgrade their point guard position if they expect to be contenders in the West. With no cap space available, they will have to get crafty with a trade. Or, they can hope that a full season from their two superstars will trump their deficiency at the point.

What do you think about that article?

bball1217
07-18-2008, 12:42 PM
interesting...

Manos
07-18-2008, 01:08 PM
I think the key for the Rockets is going to be health. Yeah, it would be nice to add a better point guard, but that wont make a difference if we don't have a healthy Yao and Tracy.

MADspartan
07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
I think our key key is a 3rd scorer. We need a solid PG but not to really run the offense so I actually think Rafer is fine. maybe another 2/3 with some height is what we eed to combo up with tmac.

Rhyming Rebel
07-18-2008, 02:35 PM
Sigh, so they are saying what WE in the forum have been saying for some time now

mightybosstone
07-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Yes.... I think that the Celtics and Lakers both proved that having an elite point guard is essential to make it to the finals. :rolleyes: I agree that the Rockets' worst enemy is injuries and that a healthy team is the key to their success, but this team isn't really in a dire need of an upgrade at PG, not as badly as they're in need of some more scoring options.

pippsux
07-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Year 5 is a make or break year.
Year one - loss to the Mavs (maybe an assist by refs)
Year Two - Injury riddled season
Year Three- loss to Utah with home court
Year Four - loss to Utah again (injury)

In terms of responsibilty I would say Yao and Tmac have to take responsibilty for the loss to the Mavs and Utah, the first time. The other two where injury related. By my score they are 2-2, that is why this season is make or break. If they do not get out of the 1 st round and at least make the Western Conference final, then keep Yao (bigger upside) and trade Tmac as soon as possible.

Jay22Redd
07-18-2008, 03:38 PM
Absolutely...the key to the rockets is health. When both Yao and T-Mac are healthy, the rockets are actually one of the top two teams in the NBA without a doubt.

agobbi17
07-18-2008, 03:40 PM
already...

DontNOMuch
07-18-2008, 04:02 PM
We need a high shooting % PG. Mcgrady always gets the ball, he's partially doing the PG job, which makes Rafer taking a lot of open shots, except Rafer can't make them. I see Rafer improves his shots last year, but still not good enough.

On 2nd thought, if we have Barry come off bench to play PG sometimes, it would really help. Mcgrady can distribute the ball, and if they leave Barry open, he can really nail the 3s!

TMAC94
07-18-2008, 09:09 PM
we need tmac and yao too be healthy and tma too shoot about prob 43-46 from feild and about 34-38 from 3

JordansBulls
07-19-2008, 12:31 AM
we need tmac and yao too be healthy and tma too shoot about prob 43-46 from feild and about 34-38 from 3

And Rafer has to be more consistent..

Tmac to da rack
07-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Lets just hope we can stay healthy, if not then expect Tmac Or Yao to be traded next season.

Alex-sama
07-19-2008, 04:08 PM
If 4 out 5 starters is injured during the playoff no teams can win the series. Not even if we have 5 stars.

Chronz
07-20-2008, 05:30 AM
Neither of these guys are going anywhere, Tmac wont be traded if they dont improve, what they will do is wait it out until their contracts expire and use the tons of CAP to build around Yao and if Tmac resigns on the cheap so be it.

Alex-sama
07-20-2008, 07:59 AM
ehu... we're @ 68M right now - 9M = 59M we're still over the cap.

T-Mac_Attack
07-20-2008, 10:52 AM
Each year is unpredictable. 07 was so heartbreaking because we got so damn close but missed out by a play or two. We got even better in 08 but Yao couldn't even be here for the playoffs...

Tblaze
07-20-2008, 12:06 PM
Each year is unpredictable. 07 was so heartbreaking because we got so damn close but missed out by a play or two. We got even better in 08 but Yao couldn't even be here for the playoffs...

Close to getting out of the first round.. I meen, comon that's just the first step.. I do agree you guys got better in 08, but I doubt this team will every make it far because of injurys..

JordansBulls
07-20-2008, 02:25 PM
ehu... we're @ 68M right now - 9M = 59M we're still over the cap.

Over the cap doesn't mean anything. It just means you can't offer more than MLE for a free agent. The Luxury tax which is 71 million is what you want to avoid.

t mac and vick
07-20-2008, 08:03 PM
I hate everybody who talks bad about tracy trade him to a style of basketball where he can run the court like kobe and watch his numbers increase he is not on the decline just this half court pace you put kobe in this system watch his numbers change so send my boy to new orleans or just put him with chri paul or any uptempo style of basketball and he will be back to old form.

Alex-sama
07-20-2008, 08:40 PM
I hate everybody who talks bad about tracy trade him to a style of basketball where he can run the court like kobe and watch his numbers increase he is not on the decline just this half court pace you put kobe in this system watch his numbers change so send my boy to new orleans or just put him with chri paul or any uptempo style of basketball and he will be back to old form.

Good said. A lot of ppl bashing T-mac just bcuz he can't get us out the first round this playoff. But with 4/5 starters is injured incl himself who can do it???? Not even kobe or LeBron can do it. Houston is ALAWAYS plagued with injuries since 1996. Not just Yao and T-Mac. Please read the history before bashing. Google is your friend.

FOBolous
07-21-2008, 02:42 AM

It seems like you still think the Rockets run the slow paced, predictable, half court set plays ran by JVG but that's not the case anymore. In case you didn't know...Houston's new coach, Adelman, is known for his offensive philosophy. Most of the teams he has coached averaged more than 100 ppg. The offense he runs is called the "Princeton Offense." The offense emphasizes constant motion, passing, and back-door cuts that is designed to get easy baskets for the players. Blaming Tmac's terrible play on the team and our offensive system is ********. Tmac sucks now because Tmac sucks now.

on and fyi...Kobe doesn't "run the court." Lakers don't play a "run and gun" style. Their offense is called the "triangle offense" and it's a half court offense.

judging by your post....it's apparent that you don't know anything about basketball. You seem to think that any players who averages a lot of points a game means they play on an uptempo team that plays a "run and gun" kind of offense. no. that's not true. not all of those players play on an uptemop run and gun kind of team. Kobe is one great example. Those players averages a lot of points because well...they're that good. Tmac doesn't average nearly as much points anymore because well...he's just not that good anymore. end of story.

Chronz
07-21-2008, 04:48 AM
It seems like you still think the Rockets run the slow paced, predictable, half court set plays ran by JVG but that's not the case anymore. In case you didn't know...Houston's new coach, Adelman, is known for his offensive philosophy. Most of the teams he has coached averaged more than 100 ppg. The offense he runs is called the "Princeton Offense." The offense emphasizes constant motion, passing, and back-door cuts that is designed to get easy baskets for the players. Blaming Tmac's terrible play on the team and our offensive system is ********. Tmac sucks now because Tmac sucks now.

on and fyi...Kobe doesn't "run the court." Lakers don't play a "run and gun" style. Their offense is called the "triangle offense" and it's a half court offense.

judging by your post....it's apparent that you don't know anything about basketball. You seem to think that any players who averages a lot of points a game means they play on an uptempo team that plays a "run and gun" kind of offense. no. that's not true. not all of those players play on an uptemop run and gun kind of team. Kobe is one great example. Those players averages a lot of points because well...they're that good. Tmac doesn't average nearly as much points anymore because well...he's just not that good anymore. end of story.

Ease up on the guy fobo, he has a point but its not really important. Telling him that our coach is a guy whos known for his break neck style doesnt change the fact that the Rockets were a methodical team and one of the slowest in the league, and the Lakers are indeed a fast paced team.

I dont think there is any need to question his basketball intelligence if you arent paying much attention yourself:

Lakers had the 6th most possessions in the league, the Rockets were in the 22-25 range.

Chronz
07-21-2008, 04:51 AM
Actually Chris Pauls numbers are amazing because they come from such a slow paced game, its why his 20-10 season is so much greater than the guys they compared him to (Kevin Johnson, Isiah Thomas, Tim Hardaway) Their numbers came on high paced teams in a generally faster era and I highly doubt Tmac is best suited in a fast paced game considering how easily he gets winded. Just give him Yao with this same team and he'll bring his best.

pippsux
07-21-2008, 10:25 AM
Year 5 is coming up and is very critical. I trully believe if Yao had not taken time off for the Olympics (oh I am sorry gotten injured) we would have gone deep into the playoffs. But woulda coulda shoulda, Tmac is making the most money therefore "It's on him". We don't get out the 1st round then it's time to trade Tmac.

JordansBulls
07-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Year 5 is coming up and is very critical. I trully believe if Yao had not taken time off for the Olympics (oh I am sorry gotten injured) we would have gone deep into the playoffs. But woulda coulda shoulda, Tmac is making the most money therefore "It's on him". We don't get out the 1st round then it's time to trade Tmac.

I agree with the last part unless Yao gets hurt again, then that means you can't blame T-mac.

t mac and vick
07-22-2008, 02:17 PM

Listen here dick head you might be right about adelmans system however what i was saying was that the JVG system was a half paced system and under the first season adelman tried to implement his system some way however they did not do alot of cuts and easy basket they continue to go at half court pace half of the season and dishing to yao in the post and when he got injured they continued the plays in the post to scola and kobe doesn't play fast pace is just crazy they have a triangle based offense which is right but if you watched the finals you see they scored their points in transition and to say he isn't good anymore make sure you remember them cause i will be on your *** all season *****

bullsriver23
07-24-2008, 05:24 PM
I think what the Rockets need is leadership and some veterans with rings. Yao and T-MAc have a lot of talent but they are not leaders.

It would be great to get a point guard with that leadership, I remenber how well T-Mac developp with Darrel Armstrong in his side.

Also someone like Horry who I know can't play much but is a good player to have him in your roster, he is a master of winning.

JordansBulls
07-24-2008, 07:04 PM
I think what the Rockets need is leadership and some veterans with rings. Yao and T-MAc have a lot of talent but they are not leaders.

It would be great to get a point guard with that leadership, I remenber how well T-Mac developp with Darrel Armstrong in his side.

Also someone like Horry who I know can't play much but is a good player to have him in your roster, he is a master of winning.

Leadership in what sense? On the court or in the lockerroom?

bullsriver23
07-24-2008, 09:48 PM
In both ways

JordansBulls
07-26-2008, 12:24 AM
In both ways

Battier is the leader in the lockeroom and Yao/T-mac on the court.

Young_Josh
07-26-2008, 01:44 PM
I think Tmac is gettin wrongfully acused of not getting out of the first round...The reason macs numbers are going down is because he is the one who has to set up the offence and then try to creat his own shot. And i dont no about yall but it seems yao can stay healthy for the olimpics but not the NBA season...why is that?? Tmac is one of the best in the league..give him a team with a winning attitude (pistons) and he will win 1 or 2 rings be4 he retires

Alex-sama
07-26-2008, 08:43 PM
I think Tmac is gettin wrongfully acused of not getting out of the first round...The reason macs numbers are going down is because he is the one who has to set up the offence and then try to creat his own shot. And i dont no about yall but it seems yao can stay healthy for the olimpics but not the NBA season...why is that?? Tmac is one of the best in the league..give him a team with a winning attitude (pistons) and he will win 1 or 2 rings be4 he retires

He doesn't necessary to go to pistons for the rings. He can win the rings with the rockets too :mad: What are you trying to archive to belittle the rockets at the rockets forum :mad::mad::mad::mad:

JordansBulls
08-18-2008, 11:18 PM
Sorry for the bump, but since the Artest trade went down and now according to hoopsworld the Rockets salary cap is 72.675 million?

That means they are over the luxury cap threshold and this without signing Deke or Landry yet.