PDA

View Full Version : Cubs @ Astros (7/18 - 7/20)

Pages : 1 [2] 3

RedHeadsRule
07-18-2008, 10:41 PM
Just wondering...did this game set a record for most pop outs/fly outs?

giventofly
07-18-2008, 10:42 PM
We all watch this team like a hawk.

You knew that marching Lilly out there in the 7th to face the meat of the line-up for the 3rd time was playing with fire. That's where Lou should've made the move to the pen to at least mix things up.

These are the games you HAVE to win, especially on the road. I have no idea why Howry was out there again in the 9th. There are some pretty good rested All-Stars in the BP to hold things down.

Consequently, Ankiel just tied it up in STL.
Howry coming into the 9th was straight stupid, in my opinion.

BUD Bleachers
07-18-2008, 10:42 PM
It's games like this that make me hate the Astros more than the Cardinals.

It usually goes back to a default normal....but I ****ing hate the Astros with all my heart.

I love how Tejada tries to fire his team up in showing some leadership.

For as talented as the Cubs are, we don't have an instigator like that guy.

yearofthecub
07-18-2008, 10:43 PM
You watch our ****ing lead is only going to be 3 games after tonight now.

ChiTownBearCub
07-18-2008, 10:43 PM
The Cubs are really scaring me on the road too. They need to pick it up. I'm tired of this home field advantage crap they're pulling. Fukudome needs to break out of his slump too. He went from having one of the best eyes i've ever seen to the worst. Drop him down back in the lineup where he was before.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 10:44 PM
I love how Tejada tries to fire his team up in showing some leadership.

For as talented as the Cubs are, we don't have an instigator like that guy.
I'd rather not have one.

It was the double that fired the team up, not the air-high-five or the excessive "come on"'s.

Theriot2
07-18-2008, 10:44 PM
I hate the ****ing Astros

BuckyBadger
07-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Mark it down: we are going to win the next 2 games with Z and Demp going to the hill

Theriot2
07-18-2008, 10:47 PM
I love MLB Extra Innings, but I am to broke to order it. DirectTv gave me a free preview :)

BUD Bleachers
07-18-2008, 10:49 PM
You watch our ****ing lead is only going to be 3 games after tonight now.

This is a BIG week for the Cubs on the road.

The Brewers and Cards play 4 this week in STL starting Monday.

The Cubs won't be seeing Harden or Webb in AZ, and then they come home on Thursday to face the Marlins.

So, they HAVE to try and separate themselves from these teams.

The Cards have SD, which is a joke. The Brewers will see Cain and Lincecum.

That's why it's so important to win these games.

It's almost August, guys.

It's time to start playing chess.

BUD Bleachers
07-18-2008, 10:50 PM
I'd rather not have one.

It was the double that fired the team up, not the air-high-five or the excessive "come on"'s.

Really? I'm glad you're so confident of that fact.

RockStrongo
07-18-2008, 10:50 PM
The Cubs hitting on the road is nothing less than putrid. Brian Moeller? Come on now. I like the Cub fans who think this is our year, yet they have failed to play well on the road. Fukudome should not be in the 2 hole any longer...we don't have to wait until Sori comes back to demote him. Howry obviously is past his prime and needs to be relegated to a minor role. Hendry, please make another move for bullpen help.

RockStrongo
07-18-2008, 10:51 PM
I'd rather not have one.

Give me one reason why you wouldn't want a fiery leader on this team?! Without one, a WS title is not going to happen.

Theriot2
07-18-2008, 10:54 PM
Brewers lead Giants 1-0

giventofly
07-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Give me one reason why you wouldn't want a fiery leader on this team?!
I'm not saying it would hurt anything, I just don't think it'd help very much.

I mean, the Astros have Miguel Tejada, and they're 46-51.....

Who cares, really?

giventofly
07-18-2008, 10:56 PM
Give me one reason why you wouldn't want a fiery leader on this team?! Without one, a WS title is not going to happen.
Also, we have a fiery leader.

His name is Carlos Zambrano.

BUD Bleachers
07-18-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm not saying it would hurt anything, I just don't think it'd help very much.

I mean, the Astros have Miguel Tejada, and they're 46-51.....

Who cares, really?

That's not the point and you know it.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 10:57 PM
Without one, a WS title is not going to happen.
Now you're just getting plain ridiculous.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 10:58 PM
That's not the point and you know it.
It is my point, and I know it.

Sorry you disagree.

RockStrongo
07-18-2008, 10:59 PM
I love MLB Extra Innings, but I am to broke to order it. DirectTv gave me a free preview :)

Harden is going to have a huge impact if he ever gets to pitch every 5-6 days. Great, we picked him up to baby him and have minimal impact. :mad:

Sorry, i'm venting a lot....

RockStrongo
07-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Now you're just getting plain ridiculous.

Is it so rediculous? They haven't won anything for more than a half a century. What makes you think a bad, bad road team will be able to win one on the road?

RedHeadsRule
07-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Getting "fired up" really doesn't do much in a slower, non-contact sport like baseball. It didn't really help Pence; he got jammed and just got lucky that it went over Theriot and in front of Edmonds.

RockStrongo
07-18-2008, 11:03 PM
Getting "fired up" really doesn't do much in a slower, non-contact sport like baseball. It didn't really help Pence; he got jammed and just got lucky that it went over Theriot and in front of Edmonds.

Maybe not, but leadership does.

giventofly
07-18-2008, 11:05 PM
Is it so rediculous? They haven't won anything for more than a half a century. What makes you think a bad, bad road team will be able to win one on the road?
And you think we haven't had a fiery leader on the team in half a century?

You're missing my point.

People can clap their hands and yell out encouraging phrases to each other, but how much does it really help? How much does it really hurt? And please don't try and quantify it like you know it, because neither of us do.

I'm saying that Lee, Ramirez, Soriano, Zambrano, and Wood are all the leaders this team really needs.

I'll tell you what fires me up when I play competitive sports.....producing....not yelling from the bench or dugout.

jiggin
07-18-2008, 11:18 PM
STL up now 9-7 in the bottom of the 8th.

Cub lead in the division goes from 4 1/2 at the break down to 3 games in 2 days. ouch. Cubs aren't going to make this easy on themselves.

3 game lead with a long road trip ahead for the cubs. They better get serious and start getting some offense going. Losing games they should win is not acceptable with this tight of a race. This division lead could be gone in a matter of days ala Brewers of last year style.

captainatheism
07-18-2008, 11:26 PM

yes, because we've had the exact same team for the last 50 years. It isn't because we haven't had any leaders. It's because we've had ****** teams.

The Cubs road record isn't any worse than the Red Sox, Devil Rays, Angels or any other of the great teams in the majors. They're all a few games under 500, you're overreacting. We don't want leadership in our players, that's why we have managers and coaches. While they have some questionable practices, I admit they're good at leading the team.

KH12
07-18-2008, 11:27 PM
Brian Fuentes, por favor.

redwhitenblue
07-18-2008, 11:30 PM
STL up now 9-7 in the bottom of the 8th.

Cub lead in the division goes from 4 1/2 at the break down to 3 games in 2 days. ouch. Cubs aren't going to make this easy on themselves.

3 game lead with a long road trip ahead for the cubs. They better get serious and start getting some offense going. Losing games they should win is not acceptable with this tight of a race. This division lead could be gone in a matter of days ala Brewers of last year style.
And our lead before the break went from 2+1/2 to 4+1/2 in a couple days

It all changes too quickly to matter right now

redwhitenblue
07-18-2008, 11:32 PM
And a lot of stupid conversation the last couple pages

"fiery leadership" means precisely diddly-squat

In fact, isn't that what all you praise Lou Piniella for being, our "fiery leader"?

Just stupid overreaction after a tough game (shocker on this board:rolleyes:)

BUD Bleachers
07-18-2008, 11:38 PM
yes, because we've had the exact same team for the last 50 years. It isn't because we haven't had any leaders. It's because we've had ****** teams.

The Cubs road record isn't any worse than the Red Sox, Devil Rays, Angels or any other of the great teams in the majors. They're all a few games under 500, you're overreacting. We don't want leadership in our players, that's why we have managers and coaches. While they have some questionable practices, I admit they're good at leading the team.

I swear, what planet do some of you reside on these days?

Are you serious? Have you ever played team sports?

Maybe the Bulls didn't need a leader in #23, right?

Or, maybe the Yankees don't need #2 either.

The "C" on Varitek's uniform doesn't stand for "catcher."

There's a pattern here. Can you find it?

C.A. Wins "Post of the Night!" (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/daydreamerdmb/douche3my.jpg)

redwhitenblue
07-18-2008, 11:41 PM
I swear, what planet do some of you reside on these days?

Are you serious? Have you ever played team sports?

Maybe the Bulls didn't need a leader in #23, right?

Or, maybe the Yankees don't need #2 either.

The "C" on Varitek's uniform doesn't stand for "catcher."

There's a pattern here. Can you find it?

C.A. Wins "Post of the Night!" (http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i254/daydreamerdmb/douche3my.jpg)
Those players weren't leaders because they were vocal or fiery, they were stars, there is a difference between vocal leaders and VERY good players-how do you not see that?

jiggin
07-18-2008, 11:51 PM
And our lead before the break went from 2+1/2 to 4+1/2 in a couple days

It all changes too quickly to matter right now

very true, but I would rather them be playing the next couple months of extremely tough schedule from ahead of the pack rather than trailing and trying to make up games. I am pretty sure, off of a couple glances, that the second half of the schedule is much tougher than the first half for the cubs.

BUD Bleachers
07-19-2008, 12:04 AM
Those players weren't leaders because they were vocal or fiery, they were stars, there is a difference between vocal leaders and VERY good players-how do you not see that?

They're great players who also happen to be great leaders. It has little to nothing to do with being fiery necessarily, although Mike was pretty fiery.

You're probably too young to remember Thurman Munson. Yankees fans still wear t-shirts that state "The Captain" on the back. He was an amazing leader during those great teams of the 1970s.

Did you ever see the cohesiveness of the 1979 "We Are Family" Pirates? It was an amazing story. It was all about talent and leadership.

It's just a simple point that I'm trying to make.

How do YOU not see that?

Why are some of you guys, yourself included, so against the concept, or even the suggestion, of team leadership, or any other non-statistical component of baseball for that matter?

Is it because you're not a leader and just a follower? That would be pretty pathetic and sad.

No offense, RWB, you're a great fan and a pretty sharp guy, but you're kind of shallow and uninteresting with your thought processes because your responses are just so predictable.

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 12:22 AM
They're great players who also happen to be great leaders. It has little to nothing to do with being fiery necessarily, although Mike was pretty fiery.

You're probably too young to remember Thurman Munson. Yankees fans still wear t-shirts that state "The Captain" on the back. He was an amazing leader during those great teams of the 1970s.

Did you ever see the cohesiveness of the 1979 "We Are Family" Pirates? It was an amazing story. It was all about talent and leadership.

How do YOU not see that?

Why are some of you guys, yourself included, so against the concept, or even the suggestion, of team leadership, or any other non-statistical component of baseball for that matter?

Is it because you're not a leader and just a follower? That would be pretty pathetic and sad.

No offense, RWB, you're a great fan and a pretty sharp guy, but you're kind of shallow and uninteresting with your thought processes because your responses are just so predictable.
Should the Cubs win the WS, I guarantee you they'll be talked about as cohesive as any other team

Had the Pirates not won the WS, would they even be talked about anymore?

No one is against team leadership, simply that it is not a missing ingredient because we lost a game and you don't see the reaction of the players

Frankly, bring me more than 1 team of cohesive players and 1 captain in the history of baseball to prove your "leadership" theory...a team is cohesive and has multiple leaders by winning-when they lose you won't find many good leaders on the team...we don't have a single leader and for a reason...is Ramirez, Lee, Soriano or Zambrano going to take the lead for the others?-hell no, they all take the responsibility of doing it

The talent is more important than a "leader" you may or may not see

Saying we need a leader or we're lacking a leader has as much validity as me saying we're missing a 3' tall midget in the lockerroom to shine the shoes of each player to lift their spirits

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 12:23 AM
And I love how when someone likes stats, or uses stats consistently, they're thought of as "shallow" when they don't accept stupid arguments from ignorant, overreacting fans after 1 loss

redbird89
07-19-2008, 12:44 AM
The Brewers and Cards play 4 this week in STL starting Monday.

The Cards have SD, which is a joke. The Brewers will see Cain and Lincecum.

Well, we beat Peavy and Maddux, so the next 2 games should be easier. Today's game we were losing a couple of times.

Ludwick had his 22nd today, as did Ankiel. Glaus has 17 and Pujols has 18 HRs, though he hasn't hit one in a while.

This series against the Brewers will be pretty important I think. Then we go to New York to face the suddenly-hot Mets and the always-tough Phils in Philly.

The next few weeks are pretty important for all 3 teams in the NL Central race.

tommer1961
07-19-2008, 01:11 AM
tough loss tonight, any idea of who we have starting tomorrow, cause im not quite sure as fo right now.

captainatheism
07-19-2008, 02:31 AM

How do YOU not see that?

So because it's a great story, we should emulate it? I'm not even gonna make the obvious joke.

zambo4president
07-19-2008, 03:22 AM
well there is a positive about this night. the new batman was amazing

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 11:32 AM
2/3 were gona crush their weak pitching staff.. might lose game 1 in a slugfest

lol.

RockStrongo
07-19-2008, 11:45 AM
And you think we haven't had a fiery leader on the team in half a century?

You're missing my point.

People can clap their hands and yell out encouraging phrases to each other, but how much does it really help? How much does it really hurt? And please don't try and quantify it like you know it, because neither of us do.

I'm saying that Lee, Ramirez, Soriano, Zambrano, and Wood are all the leaders this team really needs.

I'll tell you what fires me up when I play competitive sports.....producing....not yelling from the bench or dugout.

I agree leadership is a tad bit overrated, but it can't be ignored either. The only player on your list that can be considered a leader is big Z, and maybe Lee. A fiery leader doesn't really make a team competitive, but they certainly make a competitive team better. I.e. the Cubs.

RockStrongo
07-19-2008, 11:48 AM

I just got caught up in one game where the Cubs hitters forgot to show up (too much beer last night). I usually temper my emotions being a baseball fan, the season is just too darn long. It's not like football where every game is very significant.

homestarunner93
07-19-2008, 12:12 PM
I agree leadership is a tad bit overrated, but it can't be ignored either. The only player on your list that can be considered a leader is big Z, and maybe Lee. A fiery leader doesn't really make a team competitive, but they certainly make a competitive team better. I.e. the Cubs.

Actually, I've heard Lou say before on a WGN broadcast he considers Soriano a leader too.

johnpeck22
07-19-2008, 12:52 PM
Well its good to see our bats are still on break... good news is Lilly actually looked good... other than that not too much to watch last nite! Is it me or does Fuku look like he is pressing, big time, up at the plate?

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 01:16 PM
Thank God I missed this game to go see The Dark Knight last night. I, for one, had an excellent night. :p

RockStrongo
07-19-2008, 01:29 PM
Well its good to see our bats are still on break... good news is Lilly actually looked good... other than that not too much to watch last nite! Is it me or does Fuku look like he is pressing, big time, up at the plate?

He's definitely pressing, and hitting the ball in the air. Not good for his style. He shouldn't be in the two hole for now.

Jilly Bohnson
07-19-2008, 01:33 PM
Thank God I missed this game to go see The Dark Knight last night. I, for one, had an excellent night. :p

Same here.

Also, FOX can go **** themselves. Directv has a free extra innings preview this week. So I wake up and see on ESPN.com that Gallagher's pitching today for the A's at noon. So I say to myself "Swell, I shall watch this game to pass the time til midday." Then I turn it on and find out those **********s blacked out the game, even though it doesn't conflict with any of their games, What kind of ******** is that?

RockStrongo
07-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Same here.

Also, FOX can go **** themselves. Directv has a free extra innings preview this week. So I wake up and see on ESPN.com that Gallagher's pitching today for the A's at noon. So I say to myself "Swell, I shall watch this game to pass the time til midday." Then I turn it on and find out those **********s blacked out the game, even though it doesn't conflict with any of their games, What kind of ******** is that?

I truly hate FOX sports with all my heart since the '03 playoffs. They were talking up the Marlins like no other even when the Cubs had a 3-1 lead. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, etc. can all go blow. They're stuck in their biased ways.

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Same here.

They blocked out a 1pm game? That's odd. They would do that last year when they still had 12pm games, but I haven't run into that this year. When I had MLB.tv early on, I could watch all the 1pm-ish start times just fine. Maybe it has to do with DirecTV and their deal with FOX?

dyceman
07-19-2008, 01:41 PM

Dude, it was kind of like watching the Cubbies of old, break your heart.
Thank God you were able to get away, but it was a good reality dose,
that we have come to expect them to win (at least I do) everytime we watch them. My wife doesn't read PSD, so no chance for her to read that
y'all missed the game to see DK. She wanted to go see DK last night, but OH NO, yours truly HAD to watch the game. What a BOnehead.

:mad:

Jilly Bohnson
07-19-2008, 01:45 PM
I truly hate FOX sports with all my heart since the '03 playoffs. They were talking up the Marlins like no other even when the Cubs had a 3-1 lead. Joe Buck, Tim McCarver, etc. can all go blow. They're stuck in their biased ways.

Oh god, Buck and McCarver are the worst. Thank god TBS has the National League playoffs now, that'll seriously cut down on my Buck and McCarver intake this October.

They blocked out a 1pm game? That's odd. They would do that last year when they still had 12pm games, but I haven't run into that this year. When I had MLB.tv early on, I could watch all the 1pm-ish start times just fine. Maybe it has to do with DirecTV and their deal with FOX?

Yeah, it might just be for DirecTV. It really sucks though, I really wanted to see Gallagher pitching for Oakland.

CubsGirl
07-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Same here.

Im watching it on CSN Bay Area right now. I also really want to get to Oakland to go see gally pitch next time hes pitching on a weekend.

Also, his new facial hair sucks ***

Max Power
07-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Same here.

Total scam. It hurts even worse when you buy the package. They do it for any game that starts before 6pm central when FOX is broadcasting a game. Not only that, they don't show all of the games being shown on FOX, only the one your local station is showing. If Selig is going to let a network run the game, he could atleast choose a good one.

CubsGirl
07-19-2008, 01:51 PM
WOW, did anyone else know gally has huge tattoos on his biceps?

mawp
07-19-2008, 01:53 PM
I'm watching NYY/Oak online and I've got the Spankees broadcast on YES.

Max Power
07-19-2008, 01:54 PM
Oh god, Buck and McCarver are the worst. Thank god TBS has the National League playoffs now, that'll seriously cut down on my Buck and McCarver intake this October.

The LCS rotates each year between leagues, so if the Cubs do happen to make it this year, we'll be hearing Joe Suck and Dr. Obvious.

mawp
07-19-2008, 01:56 PM
2nd & 3rd, none out and Gally strikes out Jeter, Abreu, ARod.

Yanks broadcasters talking about "100 years" blah blah.

Jilly Bohnson
07-19-2008, 01:59 PM
The LCS rotates each year between leagues, so if the Cubs do happen to make it this year, we'll be hearing Joe Suck and Dr. Obvious.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Max Power
07-19-2008, 02:03 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!

Sorry. I swear, it wasn't my call.

There's always Pat and Ron. Love 'em or hate 'em, they won't be talking up goats and Bartman every three innings.

Chicago657
07-19-2008, 02:29 PM
I would do anything to get Len and Bob in the booth for the playoffs. Even if we are loosing, they tend to make me feel better

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 02:47 PM
Dude, it was kind of like watching the Cubbies of old, break your heart.
Thank God you were able to get away, but it was a good reality dose,
that we have come to expect them to win (at least I do) everytime we watch them. My wife doesn't read PSD, so no chance for her to read that
y'all missed the game to see DK. She wanted to go see DK last night, but OH NO, yours truly HAD to watch the game. What a BOnehead.

:mad:

That. is. brutal. You decided that 1/162 of the Cubs season was worth more than opening night of The Dark Knight? And your wife was begging you to go see it? Ouch, man. Ouch.

jiggin
07-19-2008, 02:59 PM
That. is. brutal. You decided that 1/162 of the Cubs season was worth more than opening night of The Dark Knight? And your wife was begging you to go see it? Ouch, man. Ouch.

uhhh...isn't that movie available to watch every night going forward? I never have been a person to run to a theater and stand in line only to sit in a packed theater with annoying people just so I could see it on opening night.

Ahhh...I will wait for it to be out on dvd. :D

shrek
07-19-2008, 03:04 PM
NL west is a big joke :laugh: I just looked at their standings. Not a single team over .500

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 03:05 PM
uhhh...isn't that movie available to watch every night going forward? I never have been a person to run to a theater and stand in line only to sit in a packed theater with annoying people just so I could see it on opening night.

jiggin, I could care less about seeing the movie on opening night because everyone else is doing it. I genuinely couldn't wait to see the film and didn't want to wait any longer. I certainly wasn't going to stay home on a Friday night and watch the Cubs lose to a team and a pitcher they should have beaten handily.

Jilly Bohnson
07-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Sorry. I swear, it wasn't my call.

There's always Pat and Ron. Love 'em or hate 'em, they won't be talking up goats and Bartman every three innings.

Yeah, I might have to do the old mute the TV and turn up the radio trick this October.

I don't know about you, but I've been wanting desperately to see this movie since it was announced. Then the guys decided to release a really good trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaIR9dAZRR0

last December that made me even more excited for it. I'm surprised I was able to hold out as til last night, I probably would have seen it at midnight if all my friends weren't out of town or being lame. I was OBSESSED with Batman as a kid though. Watched the cartoon every day, had most of the toys, even had these:

http://www.juvenileclothing.com/kidsunderwear/briefs/batman2.jpg

Also, the Watchmen trailer that they showed with it looks all kinds of badass:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgQJKh5t54I

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I'll get my earmuffs ready.

Joe Suck is one of the worst broadcasters in Sports today. And his sidekick McCarver isn't much better.

I think I'll be doing what JB and other will, listening to the radio with the game on mute.

jiggin
07-19-2008, 06:12 PM
scoreboard watching:

Looks like both the cardinals and brewers are winning.

Cubs need to keep pace...

jiggin
07-19-2008, 06:23 PM
Fukudome moved down in the order...

Cubs Starting Lineup

1. R Theriot, SS .320
2. R Johnson, CF .268
3. D Lee, 1B .303
4. A Ramirez, 3B .282
5. G Soto, C .288
6. M DeRosa, LF .281
7. K Fukudome, RF .276
8. R Cedeno, 2B .269
9. C Zambrano, P .352

Astros Starting Lineup

1. K Matsui, 2B .282
2. D Erstad, CF .288
3. L Berkman, 1B .343
4. C Lee, LF .301
5. M Tejada, SS .280
6. H Pence, RF .269
7. T Wigginton, 3B .278
8. B Ausmus, C .222
9. W Rodriguez, P .080

jiggin
07-19-2008, 07:02 PM
STL wins again, MIL is headed the same way with a 2 run lead in the 8th.

Come on cubbies....pull out a win today.

I also hope the move down in the order helps Fukudome pull out of his slump.

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Fukudome moved down in the order...

Cubs Starting Lineup

1. R Theriot, SS .320
2. R Johnson, CF .268
3. D Lee, 1B .303
4. A Ramirez, 3B .282
5. G Soto, C .288
6. M DeRosa, LF .281
7. K Fukudome, RF .276
8. R Cedeno, 2B .269
9. C Zambrano, P .352

Astros Starting Lineup

1. K Matsui, 2B .282
2. D Erstad, CF .288
3. L Berkman, 1B .343
4. C Lee, LF .301
5. M Tejada, SS .280
6. H Pence, RF .269
7. T Wigginton, 3B .278
8. B Ausmus, C .222
9. W Rodriguez, P .080
vs a LHP is a good choice

Cedeno starting is not, but at least he's 8th

jiggin
07-19-2008, 07:11 PM

yeah, I don't know what the deal is with trying to put Ronny in the lineup against LHP...sad really.

Max Power
07-19-2008, 07:15 PM
The way the roster is now constructed, there is little choice.

captainatheism
07-19-2008, 07:18 PM

To be fair we don't really have any other options unless we wanna put Blanco at first and Lee in the outfield.

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Z is seeing a short porch

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 07:40 PM
No one's talking about the game? WTF?

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 07:46 PM
1-0 Astros on an RBI groundout
Cubs have gotten guys on, just haven't gotten them in
2 on, 1 out for Ramirez

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 07:47 PM
Ramirez K's looking at a perfect pitch down the pipe

wtf was that Aram

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 07:49 PM
Soto went to 3-0 in both AB's, but grounds out weakly to Wandy on 3-1

Looking pathetisad offensively

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 07:50 PM
I can't watch this game, but by following on Gameday, it looks like an early repeat of last night.

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 07:52 PM
I can't watch this game, but by following on Gameday, it looks like an early repeat of last night.
Very much so. pretty bad defense on that hit for Wandy too-both OF's took routes that were off and let it drop between them

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 07:54 PM
We always seem to suck against mediocre lefties (see: Shawn Estes).

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 07:58 PM
2-0 on an RBI single by Lee, awful throw home by Derosa (he's honestly a horrendous LF, why the hell does anyone think he's any good?)

jiggin
07-19-2008, 07:59 PM
cubs look pretty piss poor. They continue this kind of hitting and play on the field they aren't going to deserve to make the playoffs.

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 08:00 PM
Bloop singles galore, 3-0

Carlos just getting beat with weak flares

redwhitenblue
cubs look pretty piss poor. They continue this kind of hitting and play on the field they aren't going to deserve to make the playoffs.
It's been 12 innings, it's not the first time they've played more than 5 innings of bad ball and won't be the last

Let's not ignore 3 months of good to great play

DamnGoat
Zambrano looks terrible against a bad offensive team...not good.

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 08:01 PM
Zambrano looks terrible against a bad offensive team...not good.
?

He's walked a few, but the hits have been nothing-flares into the OF

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:02 PM
hits none the less and RBI resulting hits...

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 08:02 PM
?

Eh, they're not all flares and walks kill.

yearofthecub
07-19-2008, 08:03 PM
?

There is ZERO reason for Zambrano to be walking people on this team.

redwhitenblue
hits none the less and RBI resulting hits...
He's not getting bombed, flares happen-he's walked too many guys this game but he's really not pitching any worse than Wandy, only difference is the Cubs bats are being stored in an ice container in Chicago waiting to be thawed still

jiggin
I really don't care if its 2 innings or 20, if a team looks bad as a whole I am going to say something about and I think its something that can be discussed on a message board. Ryan Dempster said it best the other day, its very important to come out of the all-star break on all cylinders and winning ball games. This is why teams restructure their starting rotations with the top of the heap starting right away.

The cubs don't look good. Call it what you want, but I am just stating an obvious fact.

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 08:04 PM
Well, that appears to be ballgame for tonight.

redwhitenblue
There is ZERO reason for Zambrano to be walking people on this team.
Newsflash: Guys walk, Zambrano has a history of walking a lot of guys and has cut that down this year drastically, and even the ****tiest teams walk
Eh, they're not all flares and walks kill.
Only decent hit ball that inning was Wandy's and that very likely should have been caught

cubsbears1225
2-0 on an RBI single by Lee, awful throw home by Derosa (he's honestly a horrendous LF, why the hell does anyone think he's any good?)

for a guy who is not a natural outfielder and was basically forced to learn how to play the outfield over night has done a decent job. Its not his fault he sucks out there, hes being forced to play out of position.

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 08:05 PM
I really don't care if its 2 innings or 20, if a team looks bad as a whole I am going to say something about and I think its something that can be discussed on a message board. Ryan Dempster said it best the other day, its very important to come out of the all-star break on all cylinders and winning ball games. This is why teams restructure their starting rotations with the top of the heap starting right away.

The cubs don't look good. Call it what you want, but I am just stating an obvious fact.
Oh my bad, I didn't know you could say the team looks bad but I couldn't say it doesn't worry me and tell reasons, my mistake-I won't point out things anymore...

jiggin
wow, never thought I would see this but I am very critical of what I am seeing and RWB is defending everything...LOL

jiggin
Well, that appears to be ballgame for tonight.

now that is going too far...game is still very very early.

redwhitenblue
for a guy who is not a natural outfielder and was basically forced to learn how to play the outfield over night has done a decent job. Its not his fault he sucks out there, hes being forced to play out of position.
He's played OF in the past

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:06 PM
anyone know of a user who makes good sigs? I know a lot of people make them but anyone know whos the best or one of the best?

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 08:06 PM
wow, never thought I would see this but I am very critical of what I am seeing and RWB is defending everything...LOL
That's not new, we differ on during and post game

In game you seem to be overly critical anytime the Cubs aren't smoking the ball or shutting out the opponent while I don't overreact to an inning or 2

Post game I am overly critical of decisions and you don't overreact to stress-filled decisions in game

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:07 PM
Oh my bad, I didn't know you could say the team looks bad but I couldn't say it doesn't worry me and tell reasons, my mistake-I won't point out things anymore...

wow, can't win with you. If I point it out you are all over me. If I say I was just pointing it out, you again jump all over me this time saying that you can too.

Glad I am not around you in real life. Very impossible to get along with, no matter what angle someone tries to take.

whatever...like burgerking, have it your way. I don't give a **** about you.

redwhitenblue
Ronny DP vs the LHP

yearofthecub
These guys suck

CuseDude87
now that is going too far...game is still very very early.

Oh yes, I know. But with the bats asleep for the past game and a third, I don't want to get my hopes up for a Cubs comeback.

cubsbears1225
He's played OF in the past

yeah but hes not a natural outfielder. You can also say Wade Boggs has pitched too

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 08:08 PM
wow, can't win with you. If I point it out you are all over me. If I say I was just pointing it out, you again jump all over me this time saying that you can too.

Glad I am not around you in real life. Very impossible to get along with, no matter what angle someone tries to take.

Then block me, you always say you're going to and never do

I wasn't all over you, just disagreeing and saying 12 innings isn't something to freak out over

jiggin

In game you seem to be overly critical anytime the Cubs aren't smoking the ball or shutting out the opponent while I don't overreact to an inning or 2

Post game I am overly critical of decisions and you don't overreact to stress-filled decisions in game

consistency is the key to if a team is good or not.

Seen way to much feast and famine back in the day to think a good team does that regularly. Good teams and good players are consistent. This team is not showing that and has not shown that for a bit now, even pre-allstar break.

redwhitenblue
yeah but hes not a natural outfielder. You can also say Wade Boggs has pitched too
Cause Boggs has pitched how many innings, and Derosa has played how many innings of OF?

DamnGoat
Geez...do we not realize we're facing the Astros and Wandy freaking Rodriguez?

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 08:09 PM

Seen way to much feast and famine back in the day to think a good team does that regularly. Good teams and good players are consistent. This team is not showing that and has not shown that for a bit now, even pre-allstar break.
No team is consistent, ever

Name me a "consistent" team and I'll tell you all their streaks

Those consistent White Sox in '05 had an entire month of ****ty play

CuseDude87
Ronny DP vs the LHP

Bleh. That's the kind of stuff I'm talking about, jiggin.

redwhitenblue
Geez...do we not realize we're facing the Astros and Wandy freaking Rodriguez?
IIRC Wandy is dominating at home (last year) and much worse on the road

cubsbears1225

it wont stop. I say Dero has been a decent outfielder for what the situation is worth and he replies by saying dero has played the outfield before. Youve been around this forum long enough to know to not even bother with him.

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 08:10 PM

:laugh:

www.firejoemorgan.com

Please read this and educate yourself, jiggin.

:laugh::laugh:

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 08:10 PM
it wont stop. I say Dero has been a decent outfielder for what the situation is worth and he replies by saying dero has played the outfield before. Youve been around this forum long enough to know to not even bother with him.
Situation is not important, he's not in the OF because we have someone hurt in game, he started in a position he doesn't play well

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:11 PM

you ***** about the management but defend the players. I defend the management but ***** about the players. The reason I do that is because the players are the ones responsible for their action a lot more than the management. Managements only fault is putting a player in a position to fail, which could be said about Cedeno tonight. Most MLB players would say, its their job to do no matter what the situation is...and that good players are able to succeed even when the odds are against them. Thus, why I am critical of professional athletes and their lack of production, especially when there IS no one else to blame. Cedeno is the only one on this current lineup who shouldn't be out there. The rest of the team has no excuse.

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:11 PM
Situation is not important, he's not in the OF because we have someone hurt in game, he started in a position he doesn't play well

what does this mean?

yearofthecub
07-19-2008, 08:12 PM
I can't stand losing games to ****ty teams. We've lost WAY too many games against them this season already. I'm really tired of watching this team look absolutely clueless away from Wrigley.

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:12 PM
:laugh:

www.firejoemorgan.com

Please read this and educate yourself, jiggin.

:laugh::laugh:

I have no idea what you are talking about and am not going to read through that idiotic website which appears to be an attempt to rag on joe morgan.

If you don't agree with consistency separating the men from the boys, that is cool. To each their own...

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 08:13 PM
what does this mean?
You keep saying "for the situation he's in"...the situation is he started-it's not an injury replacement in-game
you ***** about the management but defend the players. I defend the management but ***** about the players. The reason I do that is because the players are the ones responsible for their action a lot more than the management. Managements only fault is putting a player in a position to fail, which could be said about Cedeno tonight. Most MLB players would say, its their job to do no matter what the situation is...and that good players are able to succeed even when the odds are against them. Thus, why I am critical of professional athletes and their lack of production, especially when there IS no one else to blame. Cedeno is the only one on this current lineup who shouldn't be out there. The rest of the team has no excuse.
I defend the players-unless they suck
Managers put players in position to fail a lot, more than most people recognize

DamnGoat
IIRC Wandy is dominating at home (last year) and much worse on the road
2.72 ERA this year too.

Pretty good...and as I type Zambrano with his 5th BB.

redwhitenblue
I have no idea what you are talking about and am not going to read through that idiotic website which appears to be an attempt to rag on joe morgan.

If you don't agree with consistency separating the men from the boys, that is cool. To each their own...
I don't see which article he was trying to point out either

But still, waiting for a consistency example..

redwhitenblue
07-19-2008, 08:14 PM
2.72 ERA this year too.

Pretty good...and as I type Zambrano with his 5th BB.
Season high in walks in a game...still in the game and he's not being hit hard-which is encouraging...not Tampa like

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 08:15 PM
Wake up Offense!

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:15 PM
You keep saying "for the situation he's in"...the situation is he started-it's not an injury replacement in-gameI defend the players-unless they suck
Managers put players in position to fail a lot, more than most people recognize

the cubs only have 3 outfielders on their roster. Derosa is not one of them and he keeps being forced into a situation where he has to play leftfield to give guys like Edmonds a break. That is a situation when there are only 3 outfielders on a team and only 2 are playing.

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:21 PM
Ryan Theriot's 38th multi hit game of the year. Tied for 1st in all of baseball but still many people on this forum hate the guy.

DamnGoat
Theriot 2B, nice job.

Knock him in please.

cubsbears1225
I hope he wins the batting title

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 08:22 PM
God-awful baserunning there...:pity:

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:22 PM
....and Theriot with a dumb baserunning mistake. The ball was hit to the ss and theriot tried making it to 3rd from 2nd. Terrible base running.

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:23 PM
D Lee is due.

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Lee flies out to center...what else is new?

3-0 HOU

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:24 PM
No team is consistent, ever

Name me a "consistent" team and I'll tell you all their streaks

Those consistent White Sox in '05 had an entire month of ****ty play

Do you even know what being consistent is? You can call it streaky...but if they are performing above average on long "streaks" and do that more often than having bad "short streaks", that is being consistently good. Its used as an adjective in this reference and means Reliable; steady...that doesn't mean the team will do that all year or won't have problems...it means they are reliable and steady most of the time, to a point that you can count on it.

As of late, and meaning not just from the all-star break but from even a little before the all-star break, the cubs have not been consistent on offense nor on defense and on the basepaths. Their pitching has also been suspect both in the bullpen and the starting rotation. Feast or Famine is the opposite of consistent and something the cubs are dealing with right now.

Ask any professional athlete what separates the good from the great (assuming 99% of pro athletes are good and that is why they are at that level) and they will tell you consistently playing above the average is the key.

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 08:24 PM
Good waste of a promising inning.

AndyDufresne
07-19-2008, 08:25 PM
Any reason why we suck right now?

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:26 PM

Z cant throw strikes and the Cubs left their bats at home....AGAIN!

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:28 PM

according to RWB its just been since the all-star break and its only been 14 innings...so no reason to be worried.

I think this offense, defense, baserunning, bullpen and starting (some not all) have looked pretty piss poor for a bit (since before the break) and I am very sad to see that the break didn't revive them and get them off and doing things at a 1st place team level.

Sad really...this team looks like they are getting ready to be leap-frogged in the NL Central standings and destine for a 2nd or 3rd place finish. I hope I am wrong with tons of baseball left to play...but there isn't enough of a gap in the standings to dick around, even with 3 months of baseball left. 60% of the season is gone...time for this team to **** or get off the pot.

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:32 PM
STL fans are drooling on other site forums knowing that they could very well be only 2 games out this fast after baseball resumed in the second half and TONS of games head to head with the Cubs and MIL. I am sure the brewer fans are doing the same...I know I would be if I were in their shoes and saw the cubs playing this bad out the second half shoot.

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Not sure.

It's a bit discouraging that we can't hit the Astros (a last place team) pitching staff at all. We've scored 1 run through a game and a half. I know we're not a great road team, but this is kind of ridiculous.

We seem kind of impatient and making stupid mistakes in key spots too.

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:33 PM
1 run so far in 15 innings of play isn't going to help matters...:(

jedi1661
07-19-2008, 08:34 PM
man, Wandy made Geo look stupid on that curve

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 08:35 PM
Damn we look horrible.

jedi1661
07-19-2008, 08:36 PM
wow, we've taken 1 walk in 15 innings against the 'stros...no wonder we're losing

Randall Simon
07-19-2008, 08:38 PM
why can't we score on the road? Wandy Rodrigez, Brian Moeller? Come on!?

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 08:38 PM

Sigh, you actually want me to post the article for you? Fine. I was just telling you to read up on stuff that you clearly don't understand.

I guess you're telling me you like Joe Morgan's commentary then?

Here you go, jiggin and RWB: First entry on the page. Pretty good ****.

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/search?q=every+time+i+think+i%27m+out+joe+pulls+me +back+in

statsman88
07-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Reed Johnson for Gold Glove

but seriously....

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:45 PM
Z with his 4th Jack in Houston

kozelkid
07-19-2008, 08:46 PM
I cant believe no one is going crazy over z's homer
I pity this forum :pity:

Wrigleyboy25
Figures it'd take Z to get a run.

DamnGoat
Good job Z, at least you decided to do some hitting in this series.

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Theriot with 3 hits

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Sigh, you actually want me to post the article for you? Fine. I was just telling you to read up on stuff that you clearly don't understand.

http://www.firejoemorgan.com/search?q=every+time+i+think+i%27m+out+joe+pulls+me +back+in

first of all, I do not like Joe Morgan...but that really has very little to do with "consistency" in baseball. MANY pro athletes have talked about that being what separates the elite from the rest of the pros.

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 08:48 PM
Sheesh, we got 9 hits off Wandy and just 1 run.

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:49 PM

ya know, I was going to mention how empty this forum was earlier but decided not to. Where is everybody?

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 08:49 PM
first of all, I do not like Joe Morgan...but that really has very little to do with "consistency" in baseball. MANY pro athletes have talked about that being what separates the elite from the rest of the pros.

I know. But it just reminded me of how often Joe Morgan talks about it. And it made me laugh. So I was showing you why it made me laugh. That's all.

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:50 PM

I didn't read the whole thing, but its obviously a made up "article" attempting to make fun of Joe Morgan. While its funny, I don't see what it brings to the table about consistency being what separates the good from the great. maybe I didn't make it far enough down in the satire article...if that is the case, sorry.

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:50 PM
I know. But it just reminded me of how often Joe Morgan talks about it. And it made me laugh. So I was showing you why it made me laugh. That's all.

oh right on. Believe me, I am no fan of his. The mute button is in full effect when ESPN games are on TV as a general rule. :D

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:51 PM

because its too sad to admit the only offense this team is having is coming from the pitchers spot in the order. :(

CuseDude87
07-19-2008, 08:52 PM
All right, guys, I'm out. I'm tired of following this on Gameday, so I'm going to my gf's room to check out real estate in Chicago!

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Ward K's against a RHP. I am going to act like RWB on this one:

What a stupid call by Lou, Johnson could have K'ed against a RHP and you would have saved Ward to PH later!

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:54 PM
Sheesh, we got 9 hits off Wandy and just 1 run.

and it was a solo shot on top of it.

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Big Z with his 6th BB of the game.

jiggin
07-19-2008, 08:58 PM
this isn't going to end well...

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 08:58 PM
Ward K's against a RHP. I am going to act like RWB on this one:

What a stupid call by Lou, Johnson could have K'ed against a RHP and you would have saved Ward to PH later!

well done

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 08:59 PM
4-1.

That's probably game with the way the offense is right now. 2 games out of the All-Star Break and we've already lost 2.5 games in the standings, not good at all.

jiggin
07-19-2008, 09:01 PM
4-1.

That's probably game with the way the offense is right now. 2 games out of the All-Star Break and we've already lost 2.5 games in the standings, not good at all.

EXACTLY what I was thinking...:(

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 09:02 PM
id yank Z already. No use to keep him ot there

captainatheism
07-19-2008, 09:04 PM
This is beyond aggravating.

jiggin
07-19-2008, 09:08 PM
now wood may be put on the DL and not used at all the next couple games or series. uhhhgg. going to be hard not to freak out when this team finds itself in 2nd place or worse. I have a very strong feeling it is going to happen.

jiggin
07-19-2008, 09:16 PM
well, down by 3 with 3 outs to go...this one is probably in the books. :(

looks like 18 innings and only 2 runs. :(

Here's to a 9th inning rally:

:hi5:

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 09:23 PM
my bro has the UFC pay perview so Im watching that now. Hopefully the cubs do something here in the 9th

Max Power
07-19-2008, 09:25 PM
now wood may be put on the DL and not used at all the next couple games or series. uhhhgg. going to be hard not to freak out when this team finds itself in 2nd place or worse. I have a very strong feeling it is going to happen.

Didn't you make a similar prediction before the series in St.L.?

jiggin
07-19-2008, 09:29 PM
Didn't you make a similar prediction before the series in St.L.?

I love to be wrong about stuff like that. I just go with what my eyes are showing me. This team isn't going to win a lot of ball games playing this way. That makes it pretty obvious they will be passed up in the standings pretty damn quick, especially since STL is scoring alot of runs no matter who they face (peavy, maddux and wolf recently) and MIL seems to be hitting the ball well too.

Dfan25
07-19-2008, 09:29 PM
What a joke

jiggin
07-19-2008, 09:31 PM
Game...wow, only 2 up in the standings now. :(

dbrown1225
07-19-2008, 09:40 PM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

They have two bad games coming back from the ASB and people freak out. Sometimes I hate Cubs fans.

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Couldn't have asked for a worse start out of the break. Played 2 games and have lost 2.5 games in the standings.

Hopefully Dempster can pick this team up tomorrow, but I'm really concerned about this teams chances if they can't beat the ****** Astros on the road.

jiggin
07-19-2008, 09:45 PM
The sky is falling! The sky is falling!

They have two bad games coming back from the ASB and people freak out. Sometimes I hate Cubs fans.

you obviously didn't watch either of the games. Cubs looked pretty piss poor.

Sometimes I hate cubs fans, especially those that act like a fan but seem to not watch the team play.

yearofthecub
07-19-2008, 09:46 PM
This offense is awful. No, pathetic away from Wrigley. With all of those slugging righties in this lineup at THAT field we should be getting a lot more than two solo HR's in 18 innings. This whole team is cold outside of Theriot and they have been ever since the Orioles series with only an occasional exception. We REALLY need Soriano back. He is the guy who has carried the team through these slumps and helped them get the momentum back on their side. We also need to make a trade for another righty to come off the bench, and it would certainly help if Lou knew how to make a damned lineup and what his players strengths and weaknesses are.

BUD Bleachers
07-19-2008, 09:47 PM
I love to be wrong about stuff like that. I just go with what my eyes are showing me. This team isn't going to win a lot of ball games playing this way. That makes it pretty obvious they will be passed up in the standings pretty damn quick, especially since STL is scoring alot of runs no matter who they face (peavy, maddux and wolf recently) and MIL seems to be hitting the ball well too.

They really need to get it together. Losing 2.5 games, half your lead, in 3 games isn't too good. Wood going to the DL concurrently with Soriano is just awful news.

I don't like the mental posture of this team right now after the break. They look more languid after the rest than before it.

Next week is a big week with the Cards and Brewers squaring off. 4 game series usually lead to a split in most cases, so taking 3 of 4 in AZ and at home with FLA will really help matters.

yearofthecub
07-19-2008, 09:50 PM
Have we had a winning road trip at all this season? This team on the road reminds me of the '06 team at home.

BUD Bleachers
07-19-2008, 09:55 PM
This offense is awful. No, pathetic away from Wrigley. With all of those slugging righties in this lineup at THAT field we should be getting a lot more than two solo HR's in 18 innings. This whole team is cold outside of Theriot and they have been ever since the Orioles series with only an occasional exception. We REALLY need Soriano back. He is the guy who has carried the team through these slumps and helped them get the momentum back on their side. We also need to make a trade for another righty to come off the bench, and it would certainly help if Lou knew how to make a damned lineup and what his players strengths and weaknesses are.

Nicely stated.

Panic, no. Worry, yes, especially if Wood goes on the shelf.

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 10:20 PM
anyone else think Lee should be shopped after this season?

homestarunner93
07-19-2008, 10:35 PM
anyone else think Lee should be shopped after this season?
No. Derek Lee is the biggest clubhouse presence for this team. No way we trade him. Also, I wouldn't freak out about two games. Who cares if we looked bad? A baseball team isn't going to go undefeated, or anywhere close. Baseball is a streaky sport, I'm sure they'll catch fire soon enough.

cubsbears1225
07-19-2008, 10:50 PM
No. Derek Lee is the biggest clubhouse presence for this team. No way we trade him. Also, I wouldn't freak out about two games. Who cares if we looked bad? A baseball team isn't going to go undefeated, or anywhere close. Baseball is a streaky sport, I'm sure they'll catch fire soon enough.

Oh yeah, Im not worried at all. I agree with you about Lee's clubhouse presence but I just think that after this season Id shop him. Im not saying he sucks or anything but I dont think it would hurt any. They dont need to trade him but if they can trade him for some nice prospects Id do it. The CUbs Farm system is pretty weak right now and the way Hoffpair has been hitting, maybe he can replace Lee at first next year or at least see if he can.

CubbieSteve
07-19-2008, 11:18 PM
It's never a good idea to trade your best all around player. I don't trust Hoffpauir enough to trade Lee so he can have the first base job.

Lee's our best player, he'll save games with the glove and win games with the bat.

captainatheism
07-19-2008, 11:27 PM
Unless we get Pujols, Howard, Gonzalez or someone of that caliber trading Lee is a huge mistake.

AMM
07-19-2008, 11:29 PM
So what do you guys (or gals) think his team needs to do to pick up the offensive pace?

DamnGoat
07-19-2008, 11:41 PM
So what do you guys (or gals) think his team needs to do to pick up the offensive pace?
Getting Soriano back can only help.

It'd help if Fukudome would wake up too. He's been one of the easiest outs on this team for about a month.

Chazm
07-19-2008, 11:53 PM

Play more than 2 games is a start

RockStrongo
07-20-2008, 12:22 AM

Play all their games at home. On the road they're nothing short of abysmal. It was a mistake to pitch Z on short rest even though he only went 2 innings in the all-star game. Harden should've been first or second up in this series. I know everyone is going to say it wouldn't matter because of the offense, but 6 walks is 6 walks.

Knuckles
07-20-2008, 12:29 AM
It's really depressing watching this team get beat by inferior teams on the road!

shrek
07-20-2008, 12:52 AM
cubs have tendency to make trashy pitchers look like CY Young. It is sad but true. Every time we face a trashy pitcher, I am usually afraid, and I am always hopeful that we will win whenever we face an ace.

We might get swept tom. It is sad but it is very much possible :pity:

Look at the bright side, Big Z hit his second homer and Theriot got 3 hits.

redbird89
07-20-2008, 01:01 AM
Unless we get Pujols, Howard, Gonzalez or someone of that caliber trading Lee is a huge mistake.

Probably not going to happen. I believe Albert is signed through next year with a 2010 option, which the Cards will probably pick up.

And unless he seriously goes downhill, I doubt the Cardinals would need a salary dump. I don't think they mind too much his $15 mil salary, plus Encarnacion, Izzy, Mulder, and a couple other players are coming off the books after this year. But the Cardinals front office will have to dig deep if they want to keep Lohse and Ankiel (both Boras clients).

Pujols hasn't hit a HR for a few games, but he's still hitting and with power. He's hitting .350 (roughly) with 18 HRs. And he's got pretty good defense.

Unless the Cardinals are seriously out of it in 2010, I doubt he's going anywhere.

If the Cardinals ever do trade Pujols, I would expect it to take some top prospects, not another slugger. We are still rebuilding and probably will be for a few years. But I don't see Albert going anywhere.

And as far as offensive slumps, we went through an awful one a few weeks ago. But today Wellemeyer gave up 5 runs in 2 innings, settled down and pitched 4 more innings, and we won 6-5.

jiggin
07-20-2008, 01:48 AM
Probably not going to happen. I believe Albert is signed through next year with a 2010 option, which the Cards will probably pick up.

And unless he seriously goes downhill, I doubt the Cardinals would need a salary dump. I don't think they mind too much his $15 mil salary, plus Encarnacion, Izzy, Mulder, and a couple other players are coming off the books after this year. But the Cardinals front office will have to dig deep if they want to keep Lohse and Ankiel (both Boras clients).

Pujols hasn't hit a HR for a few games, but he's still hitting and with power. He's hitting .350 (roughly) with 18 HRs. And he's got pretty good defense.

Unless the Cardinals are seriously out of it in 2010, I doubt he's going anywhere.

If the Cardinals ever do trade Pujols, I would expect it to take some top prospects, not another slugger. We are still rebuilding and probably will be for a few years. But I don't see Albert going anywhere.

And as far as offensive slumps, we went through an awful one a few weeks ago. But today Wellemeyer gave up 5 runs in 2 innings, settled down and pitched 4 more innings, and we won 6-5.

you do realize that pujols has a chunk of his salary deferred right? The cardinals are going to be paying him 1.2M a year from 2020 - 2029 in order to get him all paid off. Given the insane dollar amounts now coming to players and the fact that he will be 31-32 when his deal is up (post option), I wonder if the cardinals will be able to afford to keep him around (assuming he is still productive at 32). Maybe he will take a mega home team discount...but it could get VERY a-rod type expensive. He will be looking for his last multiyear deal I would assume at that point in his career, normally a time when the player wants to cash in one last time in years (security) but also in dollar amount.

masseycubs
07-20-2008, 01:56 AM
The Cubs need to start hitting for contact and stop trying to hit the ball 400 plus feet. Piniella needs to get his head of his @$$ and properly set up the batting order until Soriano gets back.

Johnson (LF) (Soriano LF)
Theriot (SS)
Ramirez (3B)
Fukudome (RF)
Lee (1B)
Edmonds (CF) OR DeRosa (2B)
Soto (C)
DeRosa (2B) OR Johnson (CF)
Pitcher

croce_99
07-20-2008, 02:10 AM
The Cubs need to start hitting for contact and stop trying to hit the ball 400 plus feet. Piniella needs to get his head of his @$$ and properly set up the batting order until Soriano gets back.

Johnson (LF) (Soriano LF)
Theriot (SS)
Ramirez (3B)
Fukudome (RF)
Lee (1B)
Edmonds (CF) OR DeRosa (2B)
Soto (C)
DeRosa (2B) OR Johnson (CF)
Pitcher

Fukudome 4th?

I don't want him batting any higher than 7th right now. The guy has been horrible lately

croce_99
07-20-2008, 02:18 AM
giventofly needs to wake up and realize it's no longer the all-star break.
Getting swept by the Astros is not acceptable.
Shoulder fatigue? I don't know what his problem is.

jiggin
07-20-2008, 03:35 AM
giventofly needs to wake up and realize it's no longer the all-star break.
Getting swept by the Astros is not acceptable.
Shoulder fatigue? I don't know what his problem is.

He's got the best record of the rotation I think doesn't he at 14-9?

Lets just hope the tables don't turn on this one. Cubs go from best team in baseball the first half to looking like they are out of gas and can't cross the finish line. DOH! :speechless:

I expected something different to happen after the break. It hasn't happened but there is still time. A nice pep talk or a kick in the *** may be in order shortly if this keeps up, but I got faith. Isn't the first time they will lose 2 in a row (3 if you count before the break) and it probably won't be the last. I just want those losing streaks to be in the minority, especially against teams they SHOULD beat 9 times out of 10.

I don't think the DBacks series is going to get any easier. That team seems to be starting to swing the bat again...they scored 7 yesterday and 3 today. That's like 5 times the amount the cubs have scored! :speechless:

all kidding aside, I doubt its going to be a sure win series and the Marlins aren't shy with the bats. They just try and outscore their opponents each night with the long ball.

Here is to hoping the offense get it all put together = run production.

It could all change next week with a good 4 game series while MIL and STL beat up on each other. :clap:
:cheers:

jiggin
07-20-2008, 05:02 AM
classic line from Lou about Fukudome going 0-4 on Friday:

Fukudome went 0-for-4 Friday night.

"I didn't see any problems with patience yesterday," Piniella said. "He hit the ball in the air four times. When you do that, unless you hit it out of the ballpark or against the wall, usually they're outs."

:faint:

johnpeck22
07-20-2008, 11:35 AM
Well as far as offense right now I say we put Big Z in the 3 or 4 hole and let Lee, Ramy, Fuku & whoever else hit in the order they show up for batting practice!!! Come on were getting off easy by not having to face oswalt and I heard that we wont be facing Webb or Harren either - maybe we can take some tips from the Angles right now!

shrek
07-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Cubs Lineup

1. R Theriot, SS .325
2. K Fukudome, RF .275
3. D Lee, 1B .303
4. A Ramirez, 3B .278
5. J Edmonds, CF .270
6. M DeRosa, LF .280
7. G Soto, C .284
8. M Fontenot, 2B .265
9. R Dempster, P .167

Houston Lineup

1. K Matsui, 2B
2. D Erstad, CF
3. L Berkman, 1B
4. C Lee, LF
5. M Tejada, SS
6. G Blum, 3B
7. H Pence, RF
8. J Towles, C
9. B Backe, P

CubsGirl
07-20-2008, 01:45 PM
glad we moved Fuku up since he did so well yesterday :sigh:

redwhitenblue
07-20-2008, 01:48 PM
glad we moved Fuku up since he did so well yesterday :sigh:
He was only down yesterday because it was a LHP, not because he's been struggling

zambo4president
07-20-2008, 02:03 PM
cant be happy about this series, especially with brewers and cards gaining ground. better go out there today demp and just straight deal, but more importantly get some runs for him

hoosiercubsfan
07-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Back to back doubles by Fukudome and Lee nice way to start the game 1-0

hoosiercubsfan
07-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Edmonds with a nubber back up the middle to score Lee 2-0 Cubs.

cubbieblue
07-20-2008, 02:12 PM
2-0 cubs lets keep scoring

Theriot2
07-20-2008, 02:12 PM
2-0
Looks like our offense is hot today

statsman88
07-20-2008, 02:13 PM
offense lookin good, nice clutch hit jimmy!

Theriot2
07-20-2008, 02:14 PM
Lets go Demp :clap:

DamnGoat
07-20-2008, 02:16 PM
At least we finally scored more than 2 runs in one game of this series. That should count for something.

Theriot2
07-20-2008, 02:17 PM
What a catch DeRo.

cubbieblue
07-20-2008, 02:17 PM
c'mon demp show them why you are a allstar

Theriot2
07-20-2008, 02:21 PM
Nice inning guys!
Lets get some more runs.

cubbieblue
07-20-2008, 02:21 PM
lets get more runs

Theriot2
07-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Damn Soto

statsman88
07-20-2008, 02:32 PM
lookin good headed in to the 3rd

CubsGirl
07-20-2008, 02:35 PM
good lord, Reeds face.

PunkShizzle
07-20-2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah Reed looks pretty ridiculous.

CuseDude87
07-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Get some runs, guys.

CuseDude87
07-20-2008, 02:46 PM
First pitch swinging? God I hate that. :pity:

CuseDude87
07-20-2008, 02:57 PM
At least Fuku still plays good defense.

hoosiercubsfan
07-20-2008, 03:00 PM
good lord, Reeds face.

I seriously didn't know who it was when they showed him earlier. Thought maybe it was somebody up from the minors.

CuseDude87
07-20-2008, 03:01 PM
Fonty HR! Craziness!

3-0 Cubs!

statsman88
yessir Fonty!!!

statsman88
on an 0-2 pitch!

hoosiercubsfan
07-20-2008, 03:02 PM
Len called him our secret weapon. That was pretty funny. Man he has a bit of power for a little guy.

CuseDude87
07-20-2008, 03:02 PM
on an 0-2 pitch!

Terrible pitch. Right down the middle on 0-2.

CuseDude87
07-20-2008, 03:03 PM
Len called him our secret weapon. That was pretty funny. Man he has a bit of power for a little guy.

I know Theriot's getting hits, but could you imagine how much better he'd be if he had Fonty's power?

:speechless:

statsman88
07-20-2008, 03:03 PM
thats 8 homers for Fonty in 149 AB's

Ron Santo just called him 'little Babe' and also mentioned that he had the best compact swing on the team

statsman88
07-20-2008, 03:10 PM
alright cmon demp, 2 on nobody down

PunkShizzle
07-20-2008, 03:11 PM
Not a good call on that throw, Theriot. And Rammy.

jiggin
this isn't going to end well...

PunkShizzle
Bases juiced, none out.

dbrown1225
man i'm sick of these little piss hits from the asstros

PunkShizzle
07-20-2008, 03:12 PM
Need a K here.

dbrown1225
ha WOW that guy is bad

PunkShizzle
Very nice. Good thing Towles sucks.

CuseDude87
DP now please!

PunkShizzle
07-20-2008, 03:13 PM
DP now please!

That's what she said

PunkShizzle
Backe can actually hit, gotta be careful here.

CuseDude87
Do not walk him, Dempster.

CuseDude87
07-20-2008, 03:14 PM
That's what she said

Nah, she prefers the Dirty Sanchez.

CuseDude87
07-20-2008, 03:14 PM
Ugh.

CuseDude87
07-20-2008, 03:15 PM