PDA

View Full Version : Who would you give up in a sign and trade for Josh Smith?

pa_superstar
07-18-2008, 03:24 AM
This could be a GREAT idea! Without touching Tmac and Yao, I would quickly send Battier, Jackson, Head, Hayes and Novak to Atlanta for a sign and trade for the rights to Josh Smith before he signs somewhere else for more money than we could afford. He dosent even want to be in Atlanta, and they might as well get something back rather than nothing for him! We would have a monster lineup, I think he is a major upgrade from Battier on the offensive end and I would not even worry about resigning Landry with Dorsey in the rotation! Or resign Landry and send him to Atlanta also!

What do you think? Can we make a 6 for 1 trade work?

Atlanta gets: Landry, Battier, Jackson, Head, Hayes and Novak
Houston gets: Josh Smith

PG-Alston, Brooks
SG-Tmac, Barry, Franchise
SF-Josh Smith, Greene, Harris, Leunen
PF-Scola, Dorsey,
C-Yao, Mutombo

pa_superstar
07-18-2008, 05:46 AM
1. Gain back money being wasted in Hayes, Head, and Jackson.
2. Get rid of Battier and Novak's contract.
3. Not worrying about paying the money Landry is asking, knowing about his knee uncertainty.
4. Francis and Mutombo's expiring contracts next season!

We would have more than enough cap space at the end of next season to build around our big 3!

Yao
Tmac
Josh Smith?

It can work!!!!

Manos
07-18-2008, 07:55 AM
This could be a GREAT idea! Without touching Tmac and Yao, I would quickly send Battier, Jackson, Head, Hayes and Novak to Atlanta for a sign and trade for the rights to Josh Smith before he signs somewhere else for more money than we could afford. He dosent even want to be in Atlanta, and they might as well get something back rather than nothing for him! We would have a monster lineup, I think he is a major upgrade from Battier on the offensive end and I would not even worry about resigning Landry with Dorsey in the rotation! Or resign Landry and send him to Atlanta also!

What do you think? Can we make a 6 for 1 trade work?

Atlanta gets: Landry, Battier, Jackson, Head, Hayes and Novak
Houston gets: Josh Smith

PG-Alston, Brooks
SG-Tmac, Barry, Franchise
SF-Josh Smith, Greene, Harris, Leunen
PF-Scola, Dorsey,
C-Yao, Mutombo

How much money are you planning on paying Josh Smith?

Battier (6.4 mil), Jackson (6.5 mil), Head (2 mil), Hayes (2 mil), Novak (800k) and Landry (?). So without paying Landry a dime you're already paying Smith 17.7 mil...

I would consider and offer of Battier and Landry (considering the current BS he/his agent are pulling) which is a great deal IMO for the Hawks. The Hawks front court would be; Battier playing SF, Williams/Landry playing PF and Horford playing C.

pa_superstar
07-18-2008, 08:22 AM
All of that player movement is not just to pay Josh Smith 17 mil, it is to get rid of the trash on the team and clear up cap space for the future. Of course Atlanta's main assets from houston would be landry and battier. Everybody else probably wont even make the cut in ATL. How Houston will make the money work is up to them, but some of these players on the team need to go. IMO, whether its through trade, cuts, or expiring contracts. They are just useless bodies on a rockets team who desperately needs players who show up in the playoffs (head)!

Manos
07-18-2008, 09:17 AM
All of that player movement is not just to pay Josh Smith 17 mil, it is to get rid of the trash on the team and clear up cap space for the future. Of course Atlanta's main assets from Houston would be Landry and battier. Everybody else probably wont even make the cut in ATL. How Houston will make the money work is up to them, but some of these players on the team need to go. IMO, whether its through trade, cuts, or expiring contracts. They are just useless bodies on a rockets team who desperately needs players who show up in the playoffs (head)!

I understand wanting to move certain players, but when trading, the salaries have to match or be close enough that they will be approved by the league per the CBA.
Either way, if you are looking to get rid of Hayes, Jackson, Novak and Head, there are a few things to consider. First Novak is basically free, so it doesn't really cost us anything to keep him, unless of course you need the roster spot, but seeing that your idea is to move 6 players for 1, I guess we're going to have plenty of space on the bench. So keeping Novak for now makes sense for either depth or to package later in a larger trade. Same with Jackson. His value, along with Francis', really lie in that they are both expiring contracts which can be used later in the season to acquire an impact player from a team that has decided to cut salary for next season because the current season is going nowhere. It's about 9 million between them, which is pretty substantial. Similarly, holding on to Head's contract could be a good idea for the same reason. Either to package with those two or any combo of those guys to match the salary of the Rockets target. Hayes on the other hand gives us some depth that we'll need at the 4 if we move Landry. There is not guarantees that Dorsey will develop into a decent NBA player or that he/Scola wont get injured. So with the loss of Landry we'd be pretty thin up front without Hayes. I think we could stand to move one of them, but both is pretty risky IMO. Hayes is cheap and makes for a good insurance policy.

JordansBulls
07-18-2008, 10:50 AM
How much money are you planning on paying Josh Smith?

Battier (6.4 mil), Jackson (6.5 mil), Head (2 mil), Hayes (2 mil), Novak (800k) and Landry (?). So without paying Landry a dime you're already paying Smith 17.7 mil...

I would consider and offer of Battier and Landry (considering the current BS he/his agent are pulling) which is a great deal IMO for the Hawks. The Hawks front court would be; Battier playing SF, Williams/Landry playing PF and Horford playing C.

Imagine if the Rockets could pull that deal off.

astrosmaniac
07-18-2008, 11:12 AM
i would love it, but it wont happen

astrosmaniac
07-18-2008, 11:15 AM
Same with Jackson. His value, along with Francis', really lie in that they are both expiring contracts which can be used later in the season to acquire an impact player from a team that has decided to cut salary for next season because the current season is going nowhere. It's about 9 million between them, which is pretty substantial.

thats right. but head has no value whatsoever, so send him in the deal.

S&T Josh Smith ~ 12 million

For

Shane Battier
Carl Landry
Luther Head
Future Pick (if Atlanta is really stubborn)

TMAC94
07-18-2008, 11:34 AM
id give up landry, head and battier and pick, but do you think morey is even thinking about this?

astrosmaniac
07-18-2008, 11:41 AM
i dont think he is, but i would love that

Alex-sama
07-18-2008, 01:28 PM
id give up landry, head and battier and pick, but do you think morey is even thinking about this?

I would like to keep Battier. May-b Bjax, Landry, head, hayes instead. With Battier as 6th man would be very nice.

PG: Alston/Francis/Brooks
SG: T-Mac/Barry/Greene
SF: Smith/Battier/Novak
PF: Scola/Dorsey/Harris
C: Yao/Deke?/

If we want to play full def mode we can play like that:
Alston, T-Mac, Battier, Smith, Yao

Pretty scary with this defence

The83rdWonder
07-18-2008, 01:31 PM
I would like to keep Battier. May-b Bjax, Landry, head, hayes instead. With Battier as 6th man would be very nice.

PG: Alston/Francis/Brooks
SG: T-Mac/Barry/Greene
SF: Smith/Battier/Novak
PF: Scola/Dorsey/Harris
C: Yao/Deke?/

If we want to play full def mode we can play like that:
Alston, T-Mac, Battier, Smith, Yao
Pretty scary with this defence

Even if Smoove were to force a trade, Atlanta would still hang up the phone. Also, the Rockets can't sign and trade Landry.

mightybosstone
07-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Yeah..... you can't do a sign and trade involving multiple players.

I think a solid trade and what that might entice Atlanta would be Battier, Brooks, and next years 1st round pick. That would be somewhere in the range of 12-13 million (roughly what he'll make this offseason), it would give them a lock down defender and almost $7 million worth in an expiring contract.

It won't happen, though. I give any trade for us to get Josh Smith about a 0% of happening, give or take 0%.

Chronz
07-18-2008, 03:57 PM
Id give up any combination of players outside of the big 2

TMAC111
07-18-2008, 04:19 PM
i would do this trade but i dont think it will happen. i cant explain y but it just lokks like one of those trade that are to good to be true mabey i could be wrong

DontNOMuch
07-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Ngh

alexander_37
07-18-2008, 11:11 PM
id LOVE to get smith but it aint happening plus battier is our best and really only good defenser outside of deke in the low post

astrosmaniac
07-18-2008, 11:52 PM
^^dude u really need to fix ur sig

Rockets&Browns
07-19-2008, 12:10 AM
I'd give up Battier, Head and Hayes and maybe a 2nd rounder for Josh Smith and Stoudamire or Claxton to back up the PG position only if Jackson had to be involved in it! I'd take Stoudamire now and let Head go! Stoudamire can shoot point blank!