PDA

View Full Version : Trading with Baltimore?

MrChris951
07-17-2008, 08:04 PM
The Baltimore Sun speculates on potential trade partners with the Orioles. They mention the Dodgers as possible suitors for Daniel Cabrera, Aubrey Huff, Brian Roberts and George Sherrill. One wonders if Brian Roberts could play short stop for a few months before moving back to second base next season.

I don't see us getting all 4 players, but Roberts and Sherrill would help the team out.

dusto_magnifico
07-17-2008, 08:13 PM
I agree.

I'll send Hu, Pierre, Jones, 30 million bucks and 2 minor league pitchers (not including McDonald or Kershaw) fpr Sherrill and Roberts. Roberts can also lead off for us. + +

If we get roberts we also dont have to sign Furcal next year. I personally think it would be smart to try and negotiate with him though.

AZDodgersFan
07-17-2008, 08:16 PM
The cost in bodies to Baltimore would be was to high for us to make a deal. Roberts would be a great addition but at what cost? Huff tried the NL last season with the Astros and flopped. Cabrera is a tall (6'8") right hander who has had trouble finding the strike zone with any real regularity. Pure speculation, with no real sustance to any of it. My .02 cents.

MrChris951
07-17-2008, 08:37 PM
To trade for anyone is gonna cost us more then we wanna pay, but to get better now we need to make a move or 2

egptnwarrior22
07-17-2008, 09:31 PM
how about a furcal/roberts middle infield for a few years. i say they go for it

the2ndbeaner
07-17-2008, 09:46 PM
ohh yea i just heard about this on dodgerupdates.com there saying Sherill has had weight problems before

dodgerblues
07-17-2008, 11:53 PM
ohh yea i just heard about this on dodgerupdates.com there saying Sherill has had weight problems before

Sherill made the all-star team this season and I watched him pitch, he didn't do that bad, either. He is a big man but he's fast for his size and throws strikes. Wouldn't be a bad pickup for me but depends who we deal for him.

As for trading to the O's for Huff, Roberts and Cabrera, man, those guys will definitely cost us A LOT.

If I was Ned I'd keep Lowe and get the compensation picks for him this offseason.

Trade Kent to a contender even though we're contenders, he's retiring after this season and we're not going to get draft picks for him.

Have LaRoche play 2B the rest of the season. OR Trade for Brian Roberts to play 2B and have him be our leadoff hitter the rest of the year (he's hitting .297 with 27 SB's this season and 7 HR's) with LaRoche playing 3B.

Huff is unnecessary, dealing for him would cost us LaRoche or DeWitt and a top pitching prospect like McDonald.

Sign Orlando Hudson in the off-season if Roberts doesn't work out.

Release Jones if he hasn't gotten into shape by next spring training.

DodgerLove
07-18-2008, 12:23 AM
i like aubrey huff at third as a good option, he puts up pretty decent numbers offensively

mocamro
07-18-2008, 01:00 AM
I think that Huff is not the guy we want at third...what we would have to give up for him wouldn't be worth the slight upgrade from DeWitt/LaRoach

Moon shot
07-18-2008, 04:26 AM
I think that Huff is not the guy we want at third...what we would have to give up for him wouldn't be worth the slight upgrade from DeWitt/LaRoach

I'm not for trading for Huff but his .287 ba, 18 hr's and 60 rbi's is more than a "slight upgrade".

dan1to
07-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Cabrera (4.33 ERA, 6-5 Record, 71 K, 129 Innings/20 starts, 27 years old)
Sherrill (4.08, 2-4, 28 Sv, 43 K, 39.2 Innings, 31 years old)
Roberts (.295, 7HR, 33RBI's, 27SB, 9CS, 366 AB's, 31 years old)
Huff (.287, 18, 60, 2SB, 352AB's, 32 years old)

Cabrera we have no need for, plus he has been wil his whole career.

Sherrill has decent numbers and could be a good addition, but our bullpen is solid already.

Roberts could be a good pickup, but he is a 2B and we already have Kent there. I like the speed that Roberts could bring to the game though. Kent tends to take off towards the end of the season and we can expect that this year too. Its his last chance at the playoffs and I think he will be ripping the cover off the ball. (We also have about 5 other people who can play 2B.) If we traded for Roberts I think it would be more timely in the offseason when we have a better idea of what we need for next year.

Huff seems to like hitting in the AL more than the NL but would have to replace either Loney or DeWitt/LaRoche. I would rather put him at 1B than 3B due to defensive reasons. Huff seems like he will be more expensive than is necessary.

The only reason to make any of these trades were if Colletti wanted to appear to be making trades. No real upgrades if you ask me. Roberts would be decent to pick up in the off-season if we didnt feel that DeWitt/LaRoche/Hu/Maza/Berroa/Abreu would work out.

dave
07-18-2008, 12:56 PM
Huff and LaRoche platoon at third the rest of the year. Roberts plays second and leads off. with Roberts leading off That would allow us to trade Piere for Dunn to play left field. Tade Kent to a contending american leauge team for a decent back up short stop. How about Beroa and Kent to boston were Kent can back up first, second and DH for Cora who backs up Nomar at short. Or untill and if Furcal comes back.

Batting order
Roberts 2nd
Martin= catcher and perhaps some short if we also trade for a cather
Kemp center
Loney first
Dunn left field
Huff- laroche third
Ethier-young right field
Cora-Nomar short.

bestlakersfan
07-18-2008, 01:24 PM
I will guarantee you Roberts goes no where. He is the owner's favorite player and he won't move him. Sherill is having a good-ish year, but not worth a trade. This one is dead before it starts, not gonna happen. (I sound like the elder President Bush).

dusto_magnifico
07-18-2008, 02:44 PM
I will guarantee you Roberts goes no where. He is the owner's favorite player and he won't move him. Sherill is having a good-ish year, but not worth a trade. This one is dead before it starts, not gonna happen. (I sound like the elder President Bush).

Don't you just love these guarantees from people who know absolutely nothing about the situation.

bestlakersfan
07-18-2008, 05:51 PM
^ I rarely make guarantees, but this one I can assure won't. The only way it happens is Kemp, Kershaw and LaRoche for those two.

And I do know about the situation, so don't try to be a condescending prick.

Mr Blue
07-18-2008, 06:07 PM
I agree.

I'll send Hu, Pierre, Jones, 30 million bucks and 2 minor league pitchers (not including McDonald or Kershaw) fpr Sherrill and Roberts. Roberts can also lead off for us. + +

If we get roberts we also dont have to sign Furcal next year. I personally think it would be smart to try and negotiate with him though.

How about a straight-up DLowe for Roberts deal at the deadline.Well, give Balt a week to negotiate a new contract. Roberts can not only lead off and hit 2nd, but is also a switch hitter with 26 steals, and is hitting .295/8/33 .376OBP .489SLG .865OPS. He's hitting .306 vs LHP and .290 vs RHP, but most of his power vs. RHP. He has 1 year left on his contract at $8M for 2009, and has started 2 ASGs.:clap:

grizz8884
07-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Huff would be good to have...Too bad we don't have a DH position :rolleyes:

Pure speculation, move along.