PDA

View Full Version : The way Braves fans saw Andruw in Dec of 07

jlshand
07-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Trying to determine how a guy with so much natural ability could be so horrible at age 31. I came across the following link which may provide some background.
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2007/12/06/andruws_agent_g.html#comment-2689802

For those who don't want to go there. I'll give some of the details.
1. Druw was 30 pounds overweight at least his last year with Atlanta.

2. Numerous comments about losing speed , bad wheels, Knee problems

3. Many comments about his "uncoachability"

4. Many comments about his failure, career wize , to hit in the clutch.

5. Doesn''t hit any pitch down and out, wild swings, no plate discipline.

The consensus is he was a great defensive CF but a streaky undisciplined hitter who didnt take care of himself and wouldn't take advice. When his natural ability began to fade ( the term old 30 yearold showed up a lot} he did not adjust either mentally or physically.

Lots of fans hated to see him go but most agreed it was time.

A good analogy might be the young fast ball pitcher who doesnt learn the craft of pitching as he begins to lose some speed off his fastball.

The real issue for Dodger fans is How in the world did Colletti not know what the average Brave fan knew??

nme
07-17-2008, 04:10 PM
Trying to determine how a guy with so much natural ability could be so horrible at age 31. I came across the following link which may provide some background.
http://www.ajc.com/blogs/content/shared-blogs/ajc/sportscolumns/entries/2007/12/06/andruws_agent_g.html#comment-2689802

For those who don't want to go there. I'll give some of the details.
1. Druw was 30 pounds overweight at least his last year with Atlanta.

2. Numerous comments about losing speed , bad wheels, Knee problems

3. Many comments about his "uncoachability"

4. Many comments about his failure, career wize , to hit in the clutch.

5. Doesn''t hit any pitch down and out, wild swings, no plate discipline.

The consensus is he was a great defensive CF but a streaky undisciplined hitter who didnt take care of himself and wouldn't take advice. When his natural ability began to fade ( the term old 30 yearold showed up a lot} he did not adjust either mentally or physically.

Lots of fans hated to see him go but most agreed it was time.

A good analogy might be the young fast ball pitcher who doesnt learn the craft of pitching as he begins to lose some speed off his fastball.

The real issue for Dodger fans is How in the world did Colletti not know what the average Brave fan knew??

Oh, just another in the litany of NedCo's, shall we say, oversights. My personal favorite being: how did he not know that a starter for the team that he was asst GM for was irrevocably injured and that it would be a bad idea to give him a 3 year, $50M contract?

BlueZoo
07-17-2008, 04:35 PM
He may go down, eventually, considering the resources available to him, as the worst GM in BB history.

dusto_magnifico
07-17-2008, 04:36 PM
He may go down, eventually, considering the resources available to him, as the worst GM in BB history.

Agreed.

Shawh
07-17-2008, 05:03 PM
Another reason for Ned to get the boot after the season.

BlueMouse
07-17-2008, 05:16 PM
^ why wait?

Shawh
07-17-2008, 05:24 PM
^ Because it doesn't seem like he did his research on the FA signings.