PDA

View Full Version : If Chris Henry is reinstated....

augipitcher3
07-17-2008, 03:37 PM
I think the Bears should be one team that should go after him hard. His court case was dropped this week and could be reinstated after a meeting with the commissioner. What do you guys think? Are his problems behind him? I would love to get him on the Vikings as I think he is very very talented and has been lost behind Hous & 85 in Cinci along with his legal trouble. I think he is a better fit on the Bears though and if he cleans his act up could be a pro bowl receiver.

Luxy312
07-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I wouldn't take a shot at him if I were the Bears. He just has too much baggage and too much potentially negative drama. A dozen arrests/investigations/run-ins with the law over 2 years is ridiculous. He can go do his broke "thug" thing now.

Soop
07-17-2008, 04:24 PM
I wouldn't take a shot at him if I were the Bears. He just has too much baggage and too much potentially negative drama. A dozen arrests/investigations/run-ins with the law over 2 years is ridiculous. He can go do his broke "thug" thing now.

Lux, I agree with you about the baggage but we definitely could use his talent. Call me desperate but I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him.

Bulldog76
07-17-2008, 04:27 PM
Lux, I agree with you about the baggage but we definitely could use his talent. Call me desperate but I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him.

You're desperate...

And I might be too if it weren't for the fact he is facing a loooong suspension for his one man crime waive that Goodell won't look to highly upon.

Let's have this guy go one year without an arrest, charges filed against or citation of any kind and I will be the second person on board for him becoming a bear, but we can't seriously consider him a viable option at this point...

I would rather look at Peter Warrick, Charles Rogers, David Boston or Marcus Robinson...

Soop
07-17-2008, 04:44 PM
You're desperate...

And I might be too if it weren't for the fact he is facing a loooong suspension for his one man crime waive that Goodell won't look to highly upon.

Let's have this guy go one year without an arrest, charges filed against or citation of any kind and I will be the second person on board for him becoming a bear, but we can't seriously consider him a viable option at this point...

I would rather look at Peter Warrick, Charles Rogers, David Boston or Marcus Robinson...

The only thing about that is he could end up with someone else. I think he needs to be in a different enviroment, it could help him change his ways. I'm not praying to go after him, I just said I wouldn't mind if we gave him a chance.

azbearfan
07-17-2008, 05:58 PM
You're desperate...

I'll be the 3rd.
Actually, I'd probably would sign him as soon as he was on the market, just because of his talent, though I'd rather have Chad Johnson then Henry.
But...he does have way to much BAD history.....maybe I wouldn't sign him....man, I'm glad that I'm not a GM!

augipitcher3
07-17-2008, 06:14 PM
You're desperate...

So you would rather wait til he turns his life around and costs 15 times as much as he will sign for now? The Bears need a weapon on offense. I think if you are counting on Devin Hester for offense out of the wide receiver position you are setting your QB up for failure. Thats what the Vikings did last year with TJack. He was set up for failure with what he was working with.

stlfan544
07-17-2008, 06:47 PM
You're desperate...

Marcus Robinson allready retired, he signed a one day contract with us and then retired.

Soop
07-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Marcus Robinson allready retired, he signed a one day contract with us and then retired.

He was using sarcasm, those players aren't even in the league anymore. :D

beardown1985
07-17-2008, 07:35 PM
If he is reinstated, then hell yeah we should look at him. He doesn't seem the type to let his off the field problems interfere with business and he could make a big impact on our offense right away. He would probably be really cheap too.

cambovenzi
07-17-2008, 11:49 PM
they wont want his character, and we have plenty of decent WR'ers.

DamnGoat
07-17-2008, 11:51 PM
:sigh:

Why do threads like this keep popping up?

Henry is almost guaranteed to get himself in trouble again. He's the same as Pac-Man...that's not a risk worth taking.

cambovenzi
07-18-2008, 12:08 AM

Henry is almost guaranteed to get himself in trouble again. He's the same as Pac-Man...that's not a risk worth taking.

well, pacman (when playing) is a very good CB.
henry is OK.

my thoughts might be different if we didnt already have 18mil receivers on the depth chart.
i still dont see any way the FO would go for him tho. they arent the type to go after FA's w/ questionable character.

The General
07-18-2008, 12:54 AM
I dont see how picking him up would be a big risk. We give him a shot, if he produces then great, if he gets in trouble we just cut him, it's not like we have anything to lose. A talent like his deserves a roster spot, and someone in the NFL will give it to him.

Also, having a guy like Booker around may help show him how to conduct himself more proffesionaly. Just look at Cincy, no wonder he turned out like this coming from that circus. He's just a product of a bad environment, all he may really need is a change of scenery.

Max Power
07-18-2008, 01:03 AM
No. Just no. He is a piece of crap.
Not worth the trouble or the bad PR.

The General
07-18-2008, 01:05 AM
who cares bout bad PR, I 'd rather have a ring

Max Power
07-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Yeah, you're right. Chris Henry and all his Championship experience and leadership skills will push the national joke that is the Bears offense to "a ring".

A #3 receiver with more arrests than receptions = ring.

The General
07-18-2008, 01:51 AM
This #3 reciever is better then our #1 reciever from our Superbowl run

beardown1985
07-18-2008, 02:54 AM
Yeah, you're right. Chris Henry and all his Championship experience and leadership skills will push the national joke that is the Bears offense to "a ring".

A #3 receiver with more arrests than receptions = ring.

what do his arrests have anything to do with Championships and leadership skills? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. His personal life is his personal life, business is business. as far as i've heard, he's not a locker room cancer, he'll come cheap, and he'll immediately be a starting receiver. If you can't look behind a couple little bs run-ins with the cops for a real playmaker that could be the difference between playoffs and bottom-feeding, then you need to rethink what is really important to this team.

And by the way, do any of our players have championship experience? HELL NO so how can you hold that against him? he's been stuck in cinci with a paper-thin D and a streaky offense.

Bulldog76
07-18-2008, 09:22 AM
So you would rather wait til he turns his life around and costs 15 times as much as he will sign for now? The Bears need a weapon on offense. I think if you are counting on Devin Hester for offense out of the wide receiver position you are setting your QB up for failure. Thats what the Vikings did last year with TJack. He was set up for failure with what he was working with.

Would I rather wait and see if he can turn his life around, then sign him...Yes. I don't think he will command top dollar as a wide receiver who was the 3rd option in Cincinnati and two suspensions for 8 weeks or longer.

I'm not counting on Hester, and I will be the first person to say that my realistic expectations of this offensive unit are about as low as you can imagine (13 points per game would be nice)...But I'm not about to sign some thug who ends up in the police blotter more than the endzone, because he flashed some potential through his career...

Yes, I am going to wait and see on him...rather than sign him now and hope he doesn't screw up.

Bulldog76
07-18-2008, 09:25 AM
they wont want his character, and we have plenty of decent WR'ers.

Agreed that they will not want his character, but for the last time, you can no longer say that we have decent wr's when we have one of the 4 worst groups in the NFL...

How is that decent when from top to bottom, we rank last in our division and possibly at the bottom in the NFC...

What is your standard for "decent", they have a jersey and are under contract? Tell me you have higher hopes than that...or are you a blind faith kind of guy?

Bulldog76
07-18-2008, 09:29 AM

Are they giving you a ring at the ceremony too ???

Do you think that Chris Henry will propel us to the playoffs and super bowl??

For all of those who chose to bash me on the "our offense does have some hope" for referring to those who think we have a shot at the super bowl...please take notice of the ***-clowns who think a guy who is suspended for the upcoming season, will propel us to a title...

So the next time, I fire at someone and tell them they don't know what they are talking about...please know it is posts like this, that have gotten my blood boiling to a point of zero tolerance...

"I want a ring"...good lord!

Bulldog76
07-18-2008, 09:40 AM
what do his arrests have anything to do with Championships and leadership skills? ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. His personal life is his personal life, business is business. as far as i've heard, he's not a locker room cancer, he'll come cheap, and he'll immediately be a starting receiver. If you can't look behind a couple little bs run-ins with the cops for a real playmaker that could be the difference between playoffs and bottom-feeding, then you need to rethink what is really important to this team.

And by the way, do any of our players have championship experience? HELL NO so how can you hold that against him? he's been stuck in cinci with a paper-thin D and a streaky offense.

Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Leadership prevents you from making bad decisions that will jeopardize your ability to contribute to the team and the common goal of winning a championship...Taking high school girls out drinking, drug possession, driving under the influence to the point where you barf outside the car window when you get pulled over, fighting in clubs, sexual assault and the simple fact that he has filed bankruptcy shows that he isn't exactly financially responsible either...

No, his personal life is no longer his personal life when he is a public image of a franchise that pays him in the top 3% of society...He becomes a public figure and his behavior in public is viewed, judged, scrutinized and shared with all of society...that is one of the responsibilities of being a pro athlete. To conduct yourself in accordance of the law...He has proven that he can't do that...and "business is business" works both ways in that the teams public relations staff can no longer justify his behavior as representative of that team...It's not like Matt Jones, who has been in trouble with the law only once...This guy was described by a judge as a "one man crime waive"...

As for championship experience...WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT !!!!!!???!

The team won the NFC Championship 2 years ago... with the QB, FB, C, RG, RT, TE, DE, DE, DT, OLB, OLB, MLB, S, CB, CB, K and P all having been starters on that team...Did they win the super bowl...no..but they did win the NFC and they did play in the Super Bowl, so that does give them experience...It's not winning experience...but it is experience.

Seriously, do you think that a problem child WR is the only thing standing in the way of this team winning a title ??

HOW DO YOU COME UP WITH THAT GARBAGE!?

DamnGoat
07-18-2008, 10:19 AM
B/c Chris Henry guarantees that right?

He's an alright WR, but you're acting like he's TO with this kinda post.

I really doubt this team is going to take a chance on a guy that's been suspended so much, has a million off the field problems and court dates lined up, and really isn't that great anyway.

We did cut Tank Johnson and Cedric Benson, what makes people think we'll even show the slightest interest?

cambovenzi
07-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Agreed that they will not want his character, but for the last time, you can no longer say that we have decent wr's when we have one of the 4 worst groups in the NFL...

How is that decent when from top to bottom, we rank last in our division and possibly at the bottom in the NFC...

What is your standard for "decent", they have a jersey and are under contract? Tell me you have higher hopes than that...or are you a blind faith kind of guy?

i never said we had great WR'ers
but our team is full of decent/OK ones.
booker, hester, bradley,bennett, davis, lloyd, hass, monk

Soop
07-18-2008, 11:37 AM
"That's what I'm trying to make it,'' Henry said. "I'm just focusing on what I need to be doing off the field so I can keep doing what I do on the field. I just have to be smart and handle myself like a professional at all times. Off the field, if I'll handle situations like I'm supposed to everything else will take care of itself."
?

jimmiefoxx
07-18-2008, 11:38 AM
I'd like to see the Bears get another Big (tall) Receiver. Not Chris Henry though.... and please not David Boston either!!!

Bulldog76
07-18-2008, 11:50 AM
but our team is full of decent/OK ones.booker, hester, bradley,bennett, davis, lloyd, hass, monk

Booker He is in the twilight of his career, but I will grant you, he is an OK WR if he was your #2 or #3...but as a #1 WR goes, he is possibly the worst #1 wr in the league...

Hester, Did not show me anything last year as a WR to make me think he is capable of an 80 catch season, nor being able to learn the playbook...

Bennett, rookie

Bradley, constantly hurt and unproductive last season when healthy

Lloyd, averaging less than 1 catch per game the past 2 seasons makes him decent???

Hass, was inactive for every game, I don't know how that is viewed as OK or decent...he took as many snaps as I did last year.

Monk...a 7th round pick and a rookie, how do we know what we have here? He's just as likely to be a bust as he is to see the field

How is this list of players considered decent ??? What have they shown over the past 2 years that makes you think they are trending upward? Seriously, I'm tired of the blatant homer fans on this board who won't acknowledge the team has some glaring holes to fill...

Any description other than Bad, Inexperienced, pedestrian or unproven for this group is just silly...to call them decent is using the word decent incorrectly...

Bulldog76
07-18-2008, 11:51 AM
but our team is full of decent/OK ones.
booker, hester, bradley,bennett, davis, lloyd, hass, monk

And you are a Mets / Duke / Lakers / Bears fan...how does that happen?

cambovenzi
07-18-2008, 12:11 PM
Booker He is in the twilight of his career, but I will grant you, he is an OK WR if he was your #2 or #3...but as a #1 WR goes, he is possibly the worst #1 wr in the league...

Hester, Did not show me anything last year as a WR to make me think he is capable of an 80 catch season, nor being able to learn the playbook...

Bennett, rookie

Bradley, constantly hurt and unproductive last season when healthy

Lloyd, averaging less than 1 catch per game the past 2 seasons makes him decent???

Hass, was inactive for every game, I don't know how that is viewed as OK or decent...he took as many snaps as I did last year.

Monk...a 7th round pick and a rookie, how do we know what we have here? He's just as likely to be a bust as he is to see the field

How is this list of players considered decent ??? What have they shown over the past 2 years that makes you think they are trending upward? Seriously, I'm tired of the blatant homer fans on this board who won't acknowledge the team has some glaring holes to fill...

Any description other than Bad, Inexperienced, pedestrian or unproven for this group is just silly...to call them decent is using the word decent incorrectly...

the top 5 are all decent options.
booker is proven. i never said he was a great #1. but he is a solid WR.

hester: getting more reps this year.

bradley: pretty good when healthy and given PT. if hes not getting reps, that doesn't automatically make him bad.

lloyd: can be good. wasnt given much PT. can be a decent 3 or 4 on this team. might get released if hass/monk etc beat him out.

davis: decent. good STer.

bennett: 4th round pick. should be decent.

hass/monk: good in college. very good 7th/8th WR'ers. lol.

like i said, nothing real great, but we have alot of OK receivers+ depth.

cambovenzi
07-18-2008, 12:15 PM
And you are a Mets / Duke / Lakers / Bears fan...how does that happen?

my dad has liked mets/bears/duke. so i was brought up liking them.
and when i was a kid, i started liking the lakers.(in 96' when shaq got dealt there)

ackar
07-18-2008, 12:37 PM
All who said no well talent wins football games why do think so many so called bad seeds gets chances. With the bears receiving core you have to take a look at him.

Bulldog76
07-18-2008, 01:06 PM
the top 5 are all decent options.
booker is proven. i never said he was a great #1. but he is a solid WR.

hester: getting more reps this year.

bradley: pretty good when healthy and given PT. if hes not getting reps, that doesn't automatically make him bad.

lloyd: can be good. wasnt given much PT. can be a decent 3 or 4 on this team. might get released if hass/monk etc beat him out.

davis: decent. good STer.

bennett: 4th round pick. should be decent.

hass/monk: good in college. very good 7th/8th WR'ers. lol.

like i said, nothing real great, but we have alot of OK receivers+ depth.

Going to agree to disagree with you whole heartedly...

Bradley couldn't get on the field last year...Not a good sign when Moose was playing ping pong with the ball and Hester couldn't remember the plays...

Hass, is not an NFL WR, so I don't see why he gets a passing grade

Lloyd didn't get playing time because he was beaten out by Randle El, Moss, and James Thrash...James Thrash !! Considering he was paid big $$, I'd say he should be labeled a disappointment

Hester / Bennett / Monk are all unproven and unknown commodities at WR

Booker...you and I agree that he is a bad #1...say no more.

Rashied Davis...arena leaguer who is a nice story, but should we be happy to know that he is going into camp as one of our more experienced playmakers?

Dude, you need to define decent...when compared to every team in the league we are in the bottom 10-15%...that can't be labeled as decent.

cambovenzi
07-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Going to agree to disagree with you whole heartedly...

Bradley couldn't get on the field last year...Not a good sign when Moose was playing ping pong with the ball and Hester couldn't remember the plays...

Hass, is not an NFL WR, so I don't see why he gets a passing grade

Lloyd didn't get playing time because he was beaten out by Randle El, Moss, and James Thrash...James Thrash !! Considering he was paid big $$, I'd say he should be labeled a disappointment

Hester / Bennett / Monk are all unproven and unknown commodities at WR

Booker...you and I agree that he is a bad #1...say no more.

Rashied Davis...arena leaguer who is a nice story, but should we be happy to know that he is going into camp as one of our more experienced playmakers?

Dude, you need to define decent...when compared to every team in the league we are in the bottom 10-15%...that can't be labeled as decent.

as a whole they arent the best i know.
but we have 6 to 8 individual WR'ers already who are alright.

Bulldog76
07-18-2008, 01:19 PM
as a whole they arent the best i know.
but we have 6 to 8 individual WR'ers already who are alright.

Aren't the best ?? Aren't in the conversation is more like it...

6-8 individuals who are alright...well if none of them are good at the top and they are only mediocre throughout...that isn't an OK group of wr's its a bad group...no talent at the top and seriously, if you were giving ratings out to these guys (similar to Madden) would you put any of them above an 81...

that would mean that a B- WR is the best of our group, while other teams boast 2 or 3 A/B+ WRs and have depth to go along with it...

Seriously, stop covering up and admit you were overstating the value of this group by even calling them OK...they aren't...or your standards are way too low.

cambovenzi
07-18-2008, 01:23 PM

6-8 individuals who are alright...well if none of them are good at the top and they are only mediocre throughout...that isn't an OK group of wr's its a bad group...no talent at the top and seriously, if you were giving ratings out to these guys (similar to Madden) would you put any of them above an 81...

that would mean that a B- WR is the best of our group, while other teams boast 2 or 3 A/B+ WRs and have depth to go along with it...

Seriously, stop covering up and admit you were overstating the value of this group by even calling them OK...they aren't...or your standards are way too low.
individually, they are OK.
i never said as a group they were above average.
but individually, we have loads of OK/decent WR'ers.

beardown1985
07-18-2008, 03:22 PM
Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Leadership prevents you from making bad decisions that will jeopardize your ability to contribute to the team and the common goal of winning a championship...Taking high school girls out drinking, drug possession, driving under the influence to the point where you barf outside the car window when you get pulled over, fighting in clubs, sexual assault and the simple fact that he has filed bankruptcy shows that he isn't exactly financially responsible either...

No, his personal life is no longer his personal life when he is a public image of a franchise that pays him in the top 3% of society...He becomes a public figure and his behavior in public is viewed, judged, scrutinized and shared with all of society...that is one of the responsibilities of being a pro athlete. To conduct yourself in accordance of the law...He has proven that he can't do that...and "business is business" works both ways in that the teams public relations staff can no longer justify his behavior as representative of that team...It's not like Matt Jones, who has been in trouble with the law only once...This guy was described by a judge as a "one man crime waive"...

As for championship experience...WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT !!!!!!???!

The team won the NFC Championship 2 years ago... with the QB, FB, C, RG, RT, TE, DE, DE, DT, OLB, OLB, MLB, S, CB, CB, K and P all having been starters on that team...Did they win the super bowl...no..but they did win the NFC and they did play in the Super Bowl, so that does give them experience...It's not winning experience...but it is experience.

Seriously, do you think that a problem child WR is the only thing standing in the way of this team winning a title ??

HOW DO YOU COME UP WITH THAT GARBAGE!?

I was talking about experience actually winning a SuperBowl... I don't think we were exactly shooting just for the NFC championship. Frankly, Ray Lewis is a borderline murderer and I don't see his leadership being questioned.

Chris Henry is young and immature, but he has the potential to grow up. Besides, I'm not suggesting that we run out and sign him right now. I just think he is worth a look. And how many of those charges that you listed have been dropped?

He would be very cheap, and if we have any problems, cut him. Its that simple. Low monetary risk, VERY high potential.

shutem down
07-18-2008, 03:39 PM
You're desperate...

Bulldog we're not running a convent we're trying to win football games and if he's reinstated the Bears should pursue him. He has talent and he's better than any reciever we had or you named (btw Robinson retired) that's what we should worry about. If we sign him have a conduct clause in the contract that protects the club. Yes I care more about winning then having a model citizen because my kids know athletes are not role models.

augipitcher3
07-18-2008, 05:12 PM

A thread popped up like this because the charges were dropped against Henry and he is applying for reinstatement. It is a good conversation piece for a team in desperate need of a wide receiver. As you can tell by the vastly differing opinions it seems to be a legit topic.

augipitcher3
07-18-2008, 05:25 PM
He would be very cheap, and if we have any problems, cut him. Its that simple. Low monetary risk, VERY high potential.

I totally agree with this for the Bears this year. I'm not trying to be a d##k here but your offense is going to be horrid. He would probably be the most talented player on your offense besides Hester who obviously doesn't get it enough to play wr every down in the NFL. He is going to be really cheap and definately has the potential/talent to be a 1,000 yard receiver and an end zone threat. I don't think your offense has much to lose.

Bulldog - How can you have that opinion and say they won't score more than 13 points a game and not want him? Do you think with Chris Henry on the team they would win more games or lose more games?

timov8
07-18-2008, 11:11 PM
All I really care about is can these guys catch passes, because last year the group we had couldn't.

tommer1961
07-19-2008, 12:47 AM
wouldnt mind taking the risk on him, but he jsut has too much baggage it seem sto take ne type of a chance on him, unless he signs an incentive based deal.

The General
07-19-2008, 01:57 AM
Wrong, wrong, wrong...

Leadership prevents you from making bad decisions that will jeopardize your ability to contribute to the team and the common goal of winning a championship...Taking high school girls out drinking, drug possession, driving under the influence to the point where you barf outside the car window when you get pulled over, fighting in clubs, sexual assault and the simple fact that he has filed bankruptcy shows that he isn't exactly financially responsible either...!

Leadership doesnt prevent jack. Positive leadership does. A Leader is someone who commands authority and can influence others. This team has positive leaders, Mike Brown, Urlacher, Tommy Harris, Kruetz, Tait, and I'm sure that Booker will be at least a positive role model for the WR crew. We probably have more positive leadership on our team then the Bengals (negetive leadership). So why would it be so crazy to think that maybe a talented young player with some personal problems can turn his life around. The Bears believe that the leadership on their team can help point Harrison's (3rd rd pick) life in the right direction. So maybe we can do the same for a talented young kid on the other side of the ball.

And btw, I could care less about what Chris Henry does with his life. I'm a fan of the Team, not any individual player, or coach, or owner. I root for the players on my team to succeed, but if Urlacher and Hester got traded, I would root against them in a split second.

In the end winning is what matters, and Chris Henry could be that piece that helps us get into the playoffs. And who knows, if the ball bounces our way we could be back in the superbowl. Chris Henry by himself wouldn't make this team great, but his contribution would be significant.

beardown1985
07-19-2008, 09:33 AM
Leadership doesnt prevent jack. Positive leadership does. A Leader is someone who commands authority and can influence others. This team has positive leaders, Mike Brown, Urlacher, Tommy Harris, Kruetz, Tait, and I'm sure that Booker will be at least a positive role model for the WR crew. We probably have more positive leadership on our team then the Bengals (negetive leadership). So why would it be so crazy to think that maybe a talented young player with some personal problems can turn his life around. The Bears believe that the leadership on their team can help point Harrison's (3rd rd pick) life in the right direction. So maybe we can do the same for a talented young kid on the other side of the ball.

And btw, I could care less about what Chris Henry does with his life. I'm a fan of the Team, not any individual player, or coach, or owner. I root for the players on my team to succeed, but if Urlacher and Hester got traded, I would root against them in a split second.

In the end winning is what matters, and Chris Henry could be that piece that helps us get into the playoffs. And who knows, if the ball bounces our way we could be back in the superbowl. Chris Henry by himself wouldn't make this team great, but his contribution would be significant.

point well taken. A change of environment could be exactly what a guy like Chris Henry needs. I don't really believe he is a bad guy at all... but when you are surrounded by negative influences then it is easy to get caught up in the wrong kind of things.. it doesn't necessarily mean you are a bad person or that you are destined to a life of criminality. With his latest charge getting dropped, I think its time to give this kid a fresh start in a new city. Hell, even the Bengals are trying to look at him again.