PDA

View Full Version : Contracts for Monta Ellis & Andris Biedrins

mcmjy
07-17-2008, 01:09 PM
Was wondering, what are people's opinions on how much should the Warriors pay for Monta Ellis and Andris Biedrins? With the free agent dollars this season quickly disappearing (ie: clippers - camby, sixers - brand), there is high unlikelyhood of them receiving huge dollars from other teams and if they did, its understood that the Warriors can match any offer. The possibility always exists they opt to sign 1 year deals and become free agents next year and then risk losing them for nothing. What is the happy medium between insulting versus overpriced contract offers? Is either worth Corey Maggette money? My thoughts, I am thinking with Ellis at 12 million/year for 5 years (knowing you have to pay him more than maggette just for the simple fact that he is the "face" of the franchise) and also Ellis can get a bigger payday right when maggette's numbers come off the books . For Biedrins, he might actually be worth 9-10 million/year for 5 years because Andrew Bogut got 14.5 million/year for 5 years, the biggest difference being that Bogut has much better offensive scoring numbers. Its kind of painful to realize that no matter what scenario that plays out, if both are in the Warriors future, then we will revisit these same contract talks again at the same time for both players. Thoughts everyone?

garlicboy
07-17-2008, 01:17 PM
The problem with signing Maggette for $10 million a year, is now Biedrins and Monta are going to want big bucks.

Last year before the season started I told people that we should resign Monta right now for $9 million per year $1 million more than Devin Harris but $1 million below Kevin Martin, as both those guys signed last year for those amounts. Now Monta can possibly get $11 or $12.

Biedrins $8 or 9 per year. He has earned $10.

I feel like we're going to overpay like what we did with Maggette.

cali72888
07-17-2008, 01:27 PM
i have no prob if we sign ellis to a 10 mill contract, but i would be reluctant to sign biedris to anything more then a 9 mill contract

likemystylez
07-17-2008, 05:16 PM
<< have no prob if we sign ellis to a 10 mill contract, but i would be reluctant to sign biedris to anything more then a 9 mill contract>>

Agreed but Beidrins finds himself in a good bargaining position. You can bet his agent is well aware of the leverage he has. Beidrins is the only center on the roster. He is a good player (definitely not great), but aside from Baron Davis.... His absense would probably hurt the warriors more than any other single player. Theres nobody on the team who can do what he does. Hopefully Turiaf and Hendrix will help out on the glass, and Wright and Randolph will provide some of the length.... but Beidrins knows the system, and it would be tuff to replace him.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-17-2008, 06:05 PM
your kinda wright ellis should see about 11 or 12 million a year for 5 years & i would give biedrins somethings like 8 or 9 million a year for 3 or 4 years with another year optional

Tmac416
07-17-2008, 08:23 PM
i have a feeling people will be upset when biedrins contract is anounced becuase sadly its seems like you always have to over pay them and bogut geting that gross deal defintly didnt help us in this.

cali72888
07-17-2008, 10:51 PM
i think we might sign him to the one year tender thing, and possibly try and trade him before the deadline. wouldent mind if we could get a high lotto pick and a good player in return. what if we packaged him to seattle before the deadline and got wilcox, watson and a first for them, would work good for us, give us a pf if wright can take over the center position like biedris did after dampier left, then give us the oppertunity to get a good player probably in the high lotto picks.

cali72888
07-17-2008, 10:52 PM
its a long ways away, but rite now looks like the nagotiations arnt going well.