PDA

View Full Version : Sick and tired of all the drama

junior_trane
07-17-2008, 12:42 PM
As a huge fan of this team, the last couple of weeks have been troubling. It was not until watching part of Favre's interview with FOX that I had a concrete feeling one way or the other on this issue. With the information that I have access to, I have come to the conclusion that the blame for this entire fiasco falls squarely on the shoulders of Brett Favre. He can not be blamed for being a competitor and wanting to win. He can not be blamed for being human and making errors in judgment. He CAN be blamed for being an arrogant and selfish individual that is supposed to be part of a team.

His attack of Ted Thompson's tactics surrounding the acquisition of Randy Moss is evidence of this. Do not misunderstand, his desire to add a talented player to the Packer's roster is not in question. His role on this team is as a player and a leader. He does not have the right to stick his nose in the affairs of the General Manager. The GM is paid to do a dirty job. Thompson is man enough to have his own priorities and morals that he will stick to no matter what. That is what is needed for this job, and he has been damn good at it. The GM does not owe any player any thing, and he most definitely does not have to divulge any personal information to the media. It seems to me that Thompson likes to keep problems in-house. Most families try to resolve their own issues this way. Why would anybody need to know that Favre was lobbying for Moss? If anything, it might bring uneasiness into the locker room.

Favre's comments only undermine the decisions Thompson has to make. More than ever, I hope Thompson will stick to his guns on this Favre issue. Do what is in the best interest of the team. If that means keep him, then keep him. If that means trade him, then trade him. This side of football is a business and emotions should be checked at the door.

twelvePack
07-17-2008, 04:57 PM
As a huge fan of this team, the last couple of weeks have been troubling. It was not until watching part of Favre's interview with FOX that I had a concrete feeling one way or the other on this issue. With the information that I have access to, I have come to the conclusion that the blame for this entire fiasco falls squarely on the shoulders of Brett Favre. He can not be blamed for being a competitor and wanting to win. He can not be blamed for being human and making errors in judgment. He CAN be blamed for being an arrogant and selfish individual that is supposed to be part of a team.

His attack of Ted Thompson's tactics surrounding the acquisition of Randy Moss is evidence of this. Do not misunderstand, his desire to add a talented player to the Packer's roster is not in question. His role on this team is as a player and a leader. He does not have the right to stick his nose in the affairs of the General Manager. The GM is paid to do a dirty job. Thompson is man enough to have his own priorities and morals that he will stick to no matter what. That is what is needed for this job, and he has been damn good at it. The GM does not owe any player any thing, and he most definitely does not have to divulge any personal information to the media. It seems to me that Thompson likes to keep problems in-house. Most families try to resolve their own issues this way. Why would anybody need to know that Favre was lobbying for Moss? If anything, it might bring uneasiness into the locker room.

Favre's comments only undermine the decisions Thompson has to make. More than ever, I hope Thompson will stick to his guns on this Favre issue. Do what is in the best interest of the team. If that means keep him, then keep him. If that means trade him, then trade him. This side of football is a business and emotions should be checked at the door.

Well, considering Favre went as far as to pay Moss's salary out his own pocket, and the fact that TT hasn't added one polished vet on offense in three years should make Favre pissed. If TT wasn't ****ing with Favre right now, none of these statements would have ever hit the public. So TT should remember that when you are going to play hardball, the other side can too.

junior_trane
07-17-2008, 07:00 PM
What you are saying is the very basis of my argument. It does not matter if Favre agrees or disagrees with the personnel moves made by the GM. And it isn't as if Thompson and the Packers did not make a play for Moss. It was almost a done deal. Still, it all comes down to this: Favre is not paid to make personnel decisions. He can complain all he wants if they got this guy or didn't get this guy. The fact that the team improved year after year is a testament to this fact; Thompson had/has a plan to create a winning team. Every move made was in hopes of getting the Packers to a Super Bowl. If not now, then at least in the future. This includes Brett Favre, which I am sure most in the organization know would PROBABLY have been the best option to win a Super Bowl this year. Still, life is uncertain. Favre retires (apparently multiple times during the offseason) and the team tries to move forward. In the end, I think if and when a decision on this matter has to be made, Thompson and the Packers organization will do what is best for this team now and in the future.

2 additional points on the Moss issue (which is irrelevant now, so I don't understand the need for people, including Favre, to bring it up)

- Moss and Favre share an agent, so shouldn't Favre/fans be upset at Bus Cook for not shopping Moss only to the Packers instead of trying to upgrade the deal a little?

- Patriots didn't exactly win the Super Bowl last year with Moss, did they? Oh that's right, they lost to the team that also beat Favre and the Packers..