PDA

View Full Version : Manny irks owner with his sharp comments

redsox12
07-17-2008, 11:54 AM
Manny Ramirez is back in the Boston Red Sox doghouse for his comments at the All-Star Game in New York this week, the Boston Herald said.

"I want no more [expletive] where they tell you one thing and behind your back they do another thing," Ramirez told the newspaper in regards to his future contract status. "I think I've earned that respect, for a team to sit down with me and tell me this is what we want, this is what we want to do."

The Red Sox have one-year options on the slugger for 2009 and 2010 at $20 million each. If they don't pick up the option for 2009, he will become a free agent.

Red Sox owner John Henry fired back at Ramirez on Wednesday, the Boston Herald said.

"I find remarks that we have been anything other than completely straightforward to be personally offensive," Henry said. "Manny has been a crucial part of two world championships. I do not believe we would have won either without him. He has never played a more important role than he has thus far this year."

But Ramirez also said this week that he wants to stay with the Red Sox.

"To be honest with you, I don't know, I want to stay in Boston, but I want to sit down after the season with ownership and see what my future is going to be in Boston," he told the Herald. "Let's see, but the ball is in my court. If they don't pick it up, I'm a free agent and I'll go play somewhere else. We'll see.

"It's not to protect myself. I just want to know what my future is going to be," he added. "I just want them to tell me, 'We're going to take it year by year,' or, 'We're going to do this.' That's fine. Just so I know what's going on with my situation."

nbcsports

I don't know how the Sox will handle this

ZHawk1123
07-17-2008, 12:23 PM
I hope John Henry kicks him in the head

sboyajian
07-17-2008, 12:31 PM
hey.. if he doesn't know where he is going to be.. he doesn't know if he needs to put his grill on ebay or not.. it's a fair question. ;)

Padres Son
07-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Why wouldn't they pick up the '09 option?

sboyajian
07-17-2008, 12:38 PM
Why wouldn't they pick up the '09 option?

I don't think the issue is so much he won't get picked up.. if he continues at his current rate he'll have nearly 40 HR and 120 RBI's.. which is exactly what we need from him and above even his fantastic norm.

What he wants to know is.. the plan. Is he going to be a year to year option guy who might get a contract to stay..

or is he getting locked up.. he wants to be locked up.

bagwell368
07-17-2008, 01:06 PM
I wouldn't pick him up for more then a year at a time. He's the kind of guy to lose total interest in something right away. You take both now, you invite the sort of ungrateful crap Pedro pulled when they did him.

Take him for one year, then the next at the deadline. Look for other guys to sign, or develop someone. He'll quit or get unproductive before the end 2012 IMO. A 5 year 110 million deal is going to get you a guy that thinks he can push people to the floor with impunity, and probably lose interest sooner rather then later.

Padres Son
07-17-2008, 01:14 PM
I wouldn't pick him up for more then a year at a time. He's the kind of guy to lose total interest in something right away. You take both now, you invite the sort of ungrateful crap Pedro pulled when they did him.

Take him for one year, then the next at the deadline. Look for other guys to sign, or develop someone. He'll quit or get unproductive before the end 2012 IMO. A 5 year 110 million deal is going to get you a guy that thinks he can push people to the floor with impunity, and probably lose interest sooner rather then later.I couldn't disagree more. How could you possibly say "he's the kind of guy to lose total interest in something right away"?? The guy has been a model of consistency. He's about to tie Babe Ruth's record of 12 seasons with 30hr/100rbi. Clearly his eight year contract did not cause him to lose interest. It's exactly the opposite... when he doesn't have to concern himself with contract issues, he's at his best.

Lock him up for five more years and let him retire as a Red Sox.

Run Gardner Run
07-17-2008, 02:07 PM
If the Sox dont lock him up (whether it be year by year or long term, 3-4 years) I see him filling the Mets in LF. He just fits in.

sboyajian
07-17-2008, 02:58 PM
you don't see him in pinstripes? I would think that would be the next logical stop.

Run Gardner Run
07-17-2008, 03:40 PM
you don't see him in pinstripes? I would think that would be the next logical stop.

What do we need him for? We have Matsui, Damon, Melky, Gardner, with Ajax coming up. Our OF is way too stacked. The Mets lose Alou, or should I say Alou loses the Mets after this season, so I could see them filling their LF void with him, unless they wanna rush FMart

RedSoxRok34
07-17-2008, 04:50 PM
at first glance i thought this would be just another manny moment, but after reading it, im on his side. all he's asking is that the FO guys take some time, an hour would probably do it, and discuss what the options are and what they're planning to do. he's not asking whether his option will be picked up or if they're considering a new contract, he just wants to know what's up. doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Tragedy
07-17-2008, 04:53 PM
What do we need him for? We have Matsui, Damon, Melky, Gardner, with Ajax coming up. Our OF is way too stacked. The Mets lose Alou, or should I say Alou loses the Mets after this season, so I could see them filling their LF void with him, unless they wanna rush FMart
It's not like Ramirez isn't better than Matsui, Damon, Cabrera, and Gardner, though.

The Red Sox will certainly pick up Ramirez's option and do exactly what the Yankees did with Sheffield.

I'm sick and tired of Ramirez and his baby ways. Taking a shot at the organization when they've done nothing wrong is a complete joke. The guy needs to stop being so worried about his $20 million option. One way or another, he's going to get paid one hell of a sum next year.

The Intimidator
07-17-2008, 05:34 PM
not picking up the '09 option on manny would be a bad move, unless he has a bad second half. he's a proven commodity, he's proven that he can perform here, and while no one is worth 20 million, it would be foolish to allow manny to walk away.

bosox3431
07-17-2008, 06:49 PM

And not one of those guys deserve to be spoken in the same sentence as Ramirez, especially the last three.

kRispy
07-17-2008, 07:00 PM
Yankees will eventually sign Manny Ramirez for LF/DH if they don't handle a Ichiro trade.

Hell it happen with Johnny Damon, look how it worked out.

[[Yankees Fan]]

The Intimidator
07-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Yankees will eventually sign Manny Ramirez for LF/DH if they don't handle a Ichiro trade.

Hell it happen with Johnny Damon, look how it worked out.

[[Yankees Fan]]

yes you're right, and the sox have really been hurting since damon left haven't they...another world series championship and a chance to repeat this year. manny's staying put.

kRispy
07-17-2008, 10:43 PM
yes you're right, and the sox have really been hurting since damon left haven't they...another world series championship and a chance to repeat this year. manny's staying put.

LOL if you read it with a bit of sarcasm you would understand my post.

Brooke
07-18-2008, 07:05 AM
I am siding with Manny on this. He isn't asking for much, he just wants to know what they are going to do

and Manny is better than all those players

lil'papi
07-18-2008, 09:31 AM
I'm siding with the owners, figures , right. :D Why should they tell him anything until they see where he's headed. He signed the deal knowing full well he would have two team options at the end.

He shoved a 64 yr old man , hit Youkilis on national TV, he has now spouted off to the man that's signs his checks. He now has little security in Boston. Get over yourself welcome to the real world Manny.

I'm telling you right now he screwed with the wrong guy. (Henry) ask Grady Little.

I'll say it again, they will somehow offer him an extended deal for less money. That or they persue other options. They have that right!

Manny isn't worth 20mil anymore. He isn't on pace for 40 -120 either.....try 30- 100. They have 67 games left. He hits .285 -32-100 rbi they aren't giving him 20mil unless they can't land a big bat. We've played 97 games!

Relax Manny hit the ball and things will take care of themselves. This is the same guy that wanted out of Boston for about 3 straight years.

Get over yourself.....

Tragedy
07-18-2008, 10:55 AM
I am siding with Manny on this. He isn't asking for much, he just wants to know what they are going to do
Why should the Red Sox tell him? They're doing a wait and see approach, which is what they've done plenty of times in recent memory. I take no issue with the Red Sox trying to protect their money. What if Manny bats .133 the rest of the season, but we already picked up his option? I'd be a little worried about Ramirez production going into 2009, wouldn't you?

IceMan360
07-18-2008, 11:30 AM

Bro I'm hoping ur not being serious!!! after all the crap we have gone through with manny this year, he should feel lucky if the red sox pick up his option next year. I mean wow i love manny dont get me wrong but he's getting old lol he gonna be 37 which is a cause for concern, his attitude and his mouth is not helping his contract situtation.

The Intimidator
07-18-2008, 02:10 PM
Picking up the option makes all the sense in the world, like I have said before, he's proven that he can perform here.

CyYoungPapelbon
07-18-2008, 04:00 PM

Take him for one year, then the next at the deadline. Look for other guys to sign, or develop someone. He'll quit or get unproductive before the end 2012 IMO. A 5 year 110 million deal is going to get you a guy that thinks he can push people to the floor with impunity, and probably lose interest sooner rather then later.Amazingly off target.

I couldn't disagree more. How could you possibly say "he's the kind of guy to lose total interest in something right away"?? The guy has been a model of consistency. He's about to tie Babe Ruth's record of 12 seasons with 30hr/100rbi. Clearly his eight year contract did not cause him to lose interest. It's exactly the opposite... when he doesn't have to concern himself with contract issues, he's at his best.

Lock him up for five more years and let him retire as a Red Sox.Spot on (although, the "lock him up for 5 more years" part is crazy. They can just pick up his options when the time comes and have him for 2 more years. He's already starting to decline from a 1.000 OPS hitter to a .900 OPS hitter and with his D, I don't want him for 5 more years when he may be an .800 OPS type guy or worse).

Manny could've lost interest 8 years ago when the Red Sox handed him $160M and set him up to be insanely rich for life if he was really like bagwell claims. Instead, he's been the best right-handed hitter in baseball and works his *** off in the off-seasons.

Pushing people and acting immature have nothing to do with the contract he has or nothing to do with losing interest, that's just his personality. He's pushed a guy while he's in the last year of his contract and wanting his options picked up, so clearly it has nothing to do with having a long-term deal.

RedSoxtober
07-18-2008, 09:37 PM
at first glance i thought this would be just another manny moment, but after reading it, im on his side. all he's asking is that the FO guys take some time, an hour would probably do it, and discuss what the options are and what they're planning to do. he's not asking whether his option will be picked up or if they're considering a new contract, he just wants to know what's up. doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

I said something similar to this in the other thread... why is it that we tolerate something from athletes that isn't tolerated anywhere else? I've been working professionally since probably most of you were born. Every single job that I have had has been basically an 'option year' -- employed 'at will' I get to keep working only if my company is happy with the work that I do. I don't have any 'right' to ask or demand that they 'lock me up' or 'guarantee my options for the next x years.' I work and I get paid; I don't work and I don't get paid.

Manny is no different. If he wanted to be different then he could have negotiated the 'rights' he wants. He was wanted that badly and was signed in the glory days of MLB contracts. He didn't ask then so he gets no special privileges now.

I couldn't disagree more. How could you possibly say "he's the kind of guy to lose total interest in something right away"?? The guy has been a model of consistency. He's about to tie Babe Ruth's record of 12 seasons with 30hr/100rbi. Clearly his eight year contract did not cause him to lose interest. It's exactly the opposite... when he doesn't have to concern himself with contract issues, he's at his best.

Lock him up for five more years and let him retire as a Red Sox.

Well, simply put, he's no longer the guy who put up those numbers and tied Ruth's record. His HR streak ended last year and he barely slipped over 100 RBI two years ago. He was under last year.

Contrary to sboyajian's post, he is not going to hit 40HR/120RBI. The ASG is not the midpoint of the season; that happened a few weeks ago. This year it's even later for the Sox (97/162 games already played). If Manny continues on his current pace he'll land short of 30HR and is perilously close of missing 100RBI again.

His production is in decline, the equanimity that he had to start the year is gone, and he's beating up 60+ yr old men when they cannot meet an impossible demand. He takes leaks in the Monster and makes himself very visible when taking time to make a phone call during a pitching change.

Declining skills and the 'Manny being Manny' headaches don't get you a five year deal in your late thirties.

sboyajian
07-19-2008, 07:02 AM
Well, simply put, he's no longer the guy who put up those numbers and tied Ruth's record. His HR streak ended last year and he barely slipped over 100 RBI two years ago. He was under last year.

Contrary to sboyajian's post, he is not going to hit 40HR/120RBI. The ASG is not the midpoint of the season; that happened a few weeks ago. This year it's even later for the Sox (97/162 games already played). If Manny continues on his current pace he'll land short of 30HR and is perilously close of missing 100RBI again.

His production is in decline, the equanimity that he had to start the year is gone, and he's beating up 60+ yr old men when they cannot meet an impossible demand. He takes leaks in the Monster and makes himself very visible when taking time to make a phone call during a pitching change.

Declining skills and the 'Manny being Manny' headaches don't get you a five year deal in your late thirties.
yeah I don't really know what was going on with my math on that one.. :p

lil'papi
07-19-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm telling you he messed with the wrong guy. John Henry is soft spoken but carries a giant stick. Manny just made a fool of himself.

Nope, we wouldn't have won two series without him , but we won't win two more with him going down hill either. 40million dollars more for a .285 -30 -100 guy......naw can't see it.
64 games left he better get real hot!
He seems to be cracking about security. I find that absurd he made a 160mil and money off ebay auctions , now he is broke? :D He picks odd times to talk. I guarantee nothing gets done till November. Be stupid to do it earlier and they aren't stupid.

He won't get away with the crap he's pulled in Boston in say NY. The NY media already made up a story about Paps and ran it. Imagine Manny doing something or saying something stupid.

Hence him being nervous about his future. No other team or manager will cover up his warts like we have nevermind FO keeping his stupidity under wraps.

We loved the production but its not there like it once was.

3/45 maybe?

cocossox
07-19-2008, 05:57 PM
Did U guys see the postgame show wow :speechless: but i hafta say I am so fed up with Manny's antics also I know alot of people love him but I'm sick of him I wouldn't be upset if they got rid of him tomorrow

lil'papi
07-21-2008, 08:42 AM
I saw the fosbury flop going after a ball. the non chalant attitude after it and laughing while a run scored. I'm quite positive guys like Eck, Rice, Yaz and loads of former players want to ring his neck.

He lost respect for the game or is doing stupid things to get moved. What else could be his intention here? I didn't even see this kind of play in LL. The kids would at least jump up and throw the ball over the back stop. :D

He just laughes........like its funny.....it's not , not at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUV8xj4icco

cocossox
07-21-2008, 09:08 AM
I saw the fosbury flop going after a ball. the non chalant attitude after it and laughing while a run scored. I'm quite positive guys like Eck, Rice, Yaz and loads of former players want to ring his neck.

He lost respect for the game or is doing stupid things to get moved. What else could be his intention here? I didn't even see this kind of play in LL. The kids would at least jump up and throw the ball over the back stop. :D

He just laughes........like its funny.....it's not , not at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUV8xj4iccoI totally agree with u I say his time for free passes here are over He is a joke imo & now imo hes making a joke out of the redsox.

Petertherock
07-21-2008, 10:37 AM

Matsui and Damon are injury prone. Of course Manny has had his stretches too.

Tragedy
07-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I totally agree with u I say his time for free passes here are over He is a joke imo & now imo hes making a joke out of the redsox.
Exactly.

I was willing to give him a free pass when he was producing like a superstar. Now? Those numbers can be replaced. He's slowly losing his bat, and when you add his attitude lately, it's clearly time for a change.

sboyajian
07-21-2008, 12:06 PM
in regards to the horrendous effort to catch that ball.. if you watch it a little further, after he stops laughing, the look on his face is that of sheer embarressment.

You could see it in his face. He felt absolutely stupid for missing the ball and then rolling on top of it.

RedSoxtober
07-21-2008, 11:18 PM
in regards to the horrendous effort to catch that ball.. if you watch it a little further, after he stops laughing, the look on his face is that of sheer embarressment.

You could see it in his face. He felt absolutely stupid for missing the ball and then rolling on top of it.

Art imitates life?

lil'papi
07-22-2008, 08:31 AM
He is a work of art......whats next the Sistine chapel.

How can you run in the wrong direction then dive with your arm out to the side. You know how , he was spacing out and boom the ball is hit to him. I've seen it over and over at the HS level.

Embarassed? I would hope so, what got me was the roll and tuck like he was in a sandbox at a kids house.