PDA

View Full Version : MLB open to possibility of major leaguers in Olympics

sboyajian
07-17-2008, 09:26 AM
Way to go Bud.. I'm glad you were able to find another way to completely destroy the MLB. Shutting down midseason for a month should be a great way to keep up competition and prevent guys from fading out before Octob.. I mean.. November. I know the article says 4 or 5 days.. but I don't buy it.. there is no you way you fit all those games into 5 days.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Major League Baseball opened the door to allowing top players to take part in future Olympics on Wednesday and said the league would consider shutting down mid-season if Chicago or Tokyo were selected as host of the 2016 Summer Games.

MLB's refusal to shutdown so the world's best players could participate in the Games was one of the reasons why the International Olympic Committee (IOC) axed baseball along with softball from the Olympic programme after next month's Beijing Games.

MLB has insisted it is eager to see baseball remain part of the Olympics but had previously indicated it would never consider shutting down mid-season.

"Major League Baseball, the IBAF (International Baseball Federation) and the IOC are working diligently to have a system where our big leaguers are playing," said MLB vice-president and Team USA general manager Bob Watson during the naming of the Beijing squad on Wednesday. "I think if Chicago or Tokyo would win Olympics for 2016, those countries are baseball countries, and they have venues.

"I believe they are trying to work up something, you have a few years to get a plan. There are a lot of moving parts but don't rule it out.

"It's not too premature to say the minds are turning trying to work things out."

Watson said, some of the discussions had revolved around a plan to extend the current All-Star break long enough to allow a condensed format that would satisfy both MLB and the IOC.

The IOC had also expressed concerns about MLB's disinterest in seriously combating the use of performance-enhancing drugs in the sport but Watson says the league's beefed up drug-testing policy has addressed that issue.

"Instead of a three day break for an all-star game, you might end up have a four or five day break and get all the games in some kind of way using major leaguers," said Watson. "It's not too premature to say the minds are turning trying to work things out.

"Some of the obstacles; drug testing, we definitely met a lot of those requirements.

"We're putting on a real good show around the world with baseball and I believe the Olympics are going to definitely want to have baseball back in the fold.

"We feel baseball is definitely going to get back into the Olympics."

(Writing by Steve Keating in Toronto, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

source: http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080716/sp_nm/olympics_baseball_mlb_dc;_ylt=AljOEymJCJkp0Wk4REE5 tJ2s0NUE

Run Gardner Run
07-17-2008, 09:39 AM
It wont happen. There isnt enough time. Unless you take 30 games out and make it 132 games in a season, then its not happening because then either you play half of March and half of November, or all of March or all of November.

Tragedy
07-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Silly idea. Will never happen.

CBON9
07-17-2008, 09:50 AM
:badidea:

Not a fan of this one, at all.

The A Team
07-17-2008, 11:32 AM
Neither does Cuba, Japan, or any other country that has a shot at winning gold.

Apophis
07-17-2008, 11:57 AM
This will not happen at all... Regardless what the Commish says.. You can't force a player to play for the olympics mid season... Does he actually think the owners would allow their stars to participate in the olympics... Imagine the outrage if J.D Drew gets hurt for the season... Or Yankees lose AROD.... Mets lose Wright.... and so forth and so forth...

I can see it now...They will send the farm system to play in the olympics... That way they can practice... There is no way in hell you will see ALL STARS playing mid season for the olympics..

MetsAllTheWay
07-17-2008, 12:03 PM
stupid idea won't happen either. owners and fans will complain a lot

chicagofan71
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Bad idea, yes, but it'd be pretty cool. I loved the WBC, so thi would be awesome. But shutting down for a month isn't very smart.

sboyajian
07-17-2008, 12:43 PM
This will not happen at all... Regardless what the Commish says.. You can't force a player to play for the olympics mid season... Does he actually think the owners would allow their stars to participate in the olympics... Imagine the outrage if J.D Drew gets hurt for the season... Or Yankees lose AROD.... Mets lose Wright.... and so forth and so forth...

I can see it now...They will send the farm system to play in the olympics... That way they can practice... There is no way in hell you will see ALL STARS playing mid season for the olympics..

likely that will be the outcome.. I know in previous years they used College players.. I think you could see a shift for AAA level competition going out there.

REGular
07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
OK, we all understand that it can't happen.

But I think it's nice to be "open" to it.

As a fan I would love to see it happen. They did it in the NHL, right?

We get to watch NBA players compete in the olympics.

Why not see MLB players play for their country?

Obviously, the details would need to be worked out. But I, as a fan, am open to it as well.

ShinobiNYC
07-17-2008, 12:47 PM
I rather see them participate in the winter olympics...A-Rod and Jeter in bobsleigh anyone?:p

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Could you imagine Steinbrennars ***** fit he'd have if Arod got hurt in the Olympics LOL

ShinobiNYC
07-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Let the AA/AAA players go.

koldjerky
07-17-2008, 02:55 PM
OK, we all understand that it can't happen.

But I think it's nice to be "open" to it.

As a fan I would love to see it happen. They did it in the NHL, right?

We get to watch NBA players compete in the olympics.

Why not see MLB players play for their country?

Obviously, the details would need to be worked out. But I, as a fan, am open to it as well.

If I'm not mistaken, basketball is played during the NBA off season?

This is what that World Classic is for.

REGular
07-17-2008, 02:59 PM
If I'm not mistaken, basketball is played during the NBA off season?

You are not mistaken but do you actually think you are telling me something I am not aware of?? What are you trying to add to the conversation?

NHL happens mid-season.

And again, I'm not saying baseball should stop everything to compete, I'm saying it would be nice to see our players comepete on the International stage.

The analogy I was making to the NBA is that everybody loves rooting for the USA with the players that we are all familiar with, we also like seeing our favorite players represent their home countries.

And by the NBA people are certainly aware of the possible injuries, but they're still allowed, and often encouraged to compete. So the same should apply to baseball, if there was a way for it to work out.

I imagine, theoretically, that season the All-Star game would be cancelled and instead everybody would get a week off or so.

This is what that World Classic is for.

Do you really consider the Olympics and WBC to be the same stage?

ShinobiNYC
07-17-2008, 03:11 PM
I think Selig wants to make baseball more global(just look at the impact the Dream Team had in 1992 for the NBA). I don't know how he can pull it off imo.

REGular
07-17-2008, 03:15 PM
I think Selig wants to make baseball more global(just look at the impact the Dream Team had in 1992 for the NBA). I don't know how he can pull it off imo.

He certainly is. That's been a stated goal of MLB's current leadership.

There are plenty of international imports that have helped.

He's hoping that guys like Ichiro & Dice-K have the same impact that Yao Ming has had for the NBA.

Also, MLB opened their regular season in Japan.

Not an exhibition/spring training game, but their actual season.

And I can see that trend continuing.

koldjerky
07-17-2008, 03:42 PM
You are not mistaken but do you actually think you are telling me something I am not aware of?? What are you trying to add to the conversation?

NHL happens mid-season.

And again, I'm not saying baseball should stop everything to compete, I'm saying it would be nice to see our players comepete on the International stage.

The analogy I was making to the NBA is that everybody loves rooting for the USA with the players that we are all familiar with, we also like seeing our favorite players represent their home countries.

And by the NBA people are certainly aware of the possible injuries, but they're still allowed, and often encouraged to compete. So the same should apply to baseball, if there was a way for it to work out.

I imagine, theoretically, that season the All-Star game would be cancelled and instead everybody would get a week off or so.

Do you really consider the Olympics and WBC to be the same stage?

I'm adding to the conversation that the NBA doesn't have any part in your conversation since it's flawed.

The WBC has the same thing to do with the Olympics. The WBC holds the greatest athletes of baseball from their respective countries to honor their country by trying to win.... explain to me how that is different than the Olympics? The Olympics hold history and I guess a little value, true, but it's no different.

REGular
07-17-2008, 04:05 PM
I'm adding to the conversation that the NBA doesn't have any part in your conversation since it's flawed.

I explained why I brought in the NBA comparison. B/c it would be great to root for our players defending our country in the Olympics the same way we get to root for the Dream Team.

The WBC has the same thing to do with the Olympics.

OK, fine, so you answered my question. You hold the WBC and the Olympics on the same pedestal.

Personally, I disagree and the Olympics are something far more important.
Maybe over time the WBC can be played every year the Olympics are and it can build that same aura.
But again, to me, the World Baseball Classic was just a meaningless exhibition . . .

koldjerky
07-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Don't get me wrong I appreciate the Olympics and think they should be held at the highest regards, BUT when it comes to the MLB I think it'd be safer and less controversial if this type of event is played during the offseason, a la the WBC.

That's just my opinion though.

Tragedy
07-17-2008, 04:48 PM
Don't get me wrong I appreciate the Olympics and think they should be held at the highest regards, BUT when it comes to the MLB I think it'd be safer and less controversial if this type of event is played during the offseason, a la the WBC.

That's just my opinion though.
Agreed.

WBC is good enough. I respect all things Olympics, but taking the time off in the middle of the season for this is just not the right way to handle it.

Kinsm
07-18-2008, 08:09 PM
Isn't baseball being eliminated from the olympics after this year, I remember when they played in Greece the IOC said there weren't enough member countries that could field teams and that China would be the last year! That was one of the reasons why Selig pushed the WBC so much.

If I'm not mistaken, and this is the case this whole thread is meaningless with the exception of this years Olympics, and we all know the owners won't allow the best players to leave during a pennant race to go and play.

Kinsm
07-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Went and looked it up, Yeah, baseball is being removed from the olympics (and softball) after this year. There is a possibility it could be re-added down the road, but unlikely in the near future.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_baseball_outside_the_United_States#Olym pic_Baseball

koldjerky
07-19-2008, 12:47 AM
it's unlikely because the WBC is most definitely going to take that over... think the World Cup.

07MVPPatBurrell
07-19-2008, 12:56 AM
we'll send Adam Eaton to represent USA and the phillies.