PDA

View Full Version : Rex Chapman talks about Camby trade

chaugh970
07-17-2008, 01:50 AM
"I think it's a very fluid situation," Chapman explained. "We're open for business all the time. We've got a terrific owner that realizes that. We're going to continue to do business, take calls and make calls and do what we can to improve this team. I don't know that you can put a percentage on (how likely the team is to use the exception before the season starts).

"Are we going to continue to look for ways to improve the team? Absolutely, and if the right guy comes along just like this... we felt the right trade came at the right time, and we felt like we needed to strike while the iron was hot and we did so. And if that happens we'll do so again. We're not gonna make a bad deal."

"We have two picks, we have this trade exception and we'll see how it shakes out," added Warkentien.

In the end, the Nuggets continue to insist this move was about giving the organization the flexibility to evolve in a championship contender, something last season's roster was clearly never going to become.

"We're not satisfied with winning 50 games or getting into the playoffs," Chapman said. "Our goal is to win a championship. We felt like we had to shake things up and be able to have the flexibility going forward to put a championship team on the floor."

Barring some other moves before the season, the Nuggets are left with Nene and seldom-used Steven Hunter at the center spot. Still, Warkentien said he wasn't concerned about losing his starting center and getting nothing in return given the direction the NBA game is moving.

"Basically the nature of the game now is one guy plays inside and four guys play outside," he explained.

When asked if Denver would still be a luxury tax team after making the trade, Warkentien replied: "After this trade? That would be yes."

Obviously, the Nuggets moved much closer to the threshold by shedding Camby's salary. Of course, that could all change if -- and most likely when -- the Nuggets find a deal they like and opt to cash in their newly acquired trade exception.

From Hoopsworld: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9488

avsman05
07-17-2008, 02:16 AM
come on Nuggets go out and get Josh Smith. wait a second.....

"Basically the nature of the game now is one guy plays inside and four guys play outside,"

so then why did toronto go out and get JO so they can have bosh on the outside that doesnt make any sense. I was going to use Camby and Kaman in this anology but we all know where camby loves to be on the offensive side.

denversgm
07-17-2008, 02:42 AM
From Hoopsworld: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?story_id=9488

open for busieness, its more like open to handing out charity and donations

Kohaku
07-17-2008, 03:08 AM
Our goal is to win a championship my ***...

DenButsu
07-17-2008, 04:01 AM
"We're not satisfied with winning 50 games or getting into the playoffs," Chapman said. "Our goal is to win a championship. We felt like we had to shake things up and be able to have the flexibility going forward to put a championship team on the floor."

Okay, fine. But this explanation isn't quite good enough, Rex. You're really failing to connect the dots for the fans, to give us some reason to believe that somehow, either now or later, dumping off Camby for nothing gets the Nuggets closer to a championship.

Okay, we got flexibility. NOW WHAT?

IndiansFan337
07-17-2008, 09:51 AM
This offseason has been nothing but a disaster & a letdown for the Nuggets.

But at least AI's contract expires after this season.

jeff86
07-17-2008, 10:41 AM
i think we are doing something i have a feeling hopefully the hole in my wall after the camby trade will feel better after a big move

Crunchy12489
07-17-2008, 11:19 AM
This offseason has been nothing but a disaster & a letdown for the Nuggets.

But at least AI's contract expires after this season.

Here we go with the blame game...

It's all his fault...

DenButsu
07-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Here we go with the blame game...

It's all his fault...

Why do you construe that comment as blaming AI for anything? Seems to me like he's only talking about the financial situation, getting his contract off the books. :shrug:

Crunchy12489
07-17-2008, 02:40 PM
You have to read what's behind it..

Everyone's just waiting for AI to bring one more year of entertainment to the Pepsi Center, then when his contract is over, he will be traded and everyone is happy.

I give up with all of you guys, it's a god damn shame to hear people down one of your stars...

Some fans you are...

I can hate on Melo for being in DEN since the draft day and has yet to produce NOTHING. But I don't because I understand he's a great talented young player who has a bright future, oh, and he's playing for my FAVORITE TEAM.

DenButsu
07-17-2008, 07:36 PM
You have to read what's behind it..

Everyone's just waiting for AI to bring one more year of entertainment to the Pepsi Center, then when his contract is over, he will be traded and everyone is happy.

I give up with all of you guys, it's a god damn shame to hear people down one of your stars...

Some fans you are...

I can hate on Melo for being in DEN since the draft day and has yet to produce NOTHING. But I don't because I understand he's a great talented young player who has a bright future, oh, and he's playing for my FAVORITE TEAM.

Crunchy, man, you're seeing ghosts.

NOBODY in this thread has hated on AI.

What gives? :confused:

Crunchy12489
07-18-2008, 12:59 AM
Crunchy, man, you're seeing ghosts.

NOBODY in this thread has hated on AI.

What gives? :confused:

Sometimes I lead to conclusions very quickly... Sometimes I may take it too far...

Btw I was pretty ****ed up when I typed that...

Anyway,

I apologize.

Now, moving on.

What's next? Do you guys really think that the Nuggets FO is waiting for AI to opt out and go to another team? I mean let's face it, we aren't going to reach atleast 48 wins next season (with the team we have currently) because you obviously have to be in the 50+'s to even be a 4th-5th seed. The West is tough man...

It's going to be a sad day for me when I see Camby blocking Nene :( It's going to hurt me for real. Camby said that was his little prospect and he loved being on the team with him... Clippers are going to destroy the Nuggets... One thing about the Clippers is that they have no experienced bench... They also don't have some interior scorers on the inside... Kaman and Camby produce the same numbers, basically, only Camby averaging alot more blocks that him... Clippers will have a weak post play, with fast talented guards... Young big men too....

Hornets are only getting better and better... Let's face it, that team is in the top 5 of the youngest teams in the NBA. Lakers may or may not shake back from the bounce out of the Finals... Alot of pressure on them...

Mavericks continue to play no defense... They are a team who tries to score more than the other team because they can't play good enough defense... You've seen where they have gotten (nowhere)... But better believe Jason Kidd will be more comfortable with his team and he will be performing alot of flashy passes and great open looks...

Jazz.... I don't need to say anymore.... They clearly whooped the hell out of us this season...

Rockets don't seem to be going anywhere now that T-Mac is in the talks of going to Detroit... He's very interested... Someone's waiting to pull the trigger on the trade.... I see the Rockets going nowhere even with the best (arguably) Center in the game right now..

Warriors? No where. Kings? No where. Sonics? Progression, but not over the .500 mark. T'Wolves? Possible 9th seed next season. Trailblazers? Competitive. They have a chance to stomp us every game now with Greg Oden making his debut...

Spurs still have enough gas in the tank.. I say this is the decline of the Tony Parker and Tim Duncan era. Tim Duncan is getting old. Tony Parker is still the franchise player though. Not to mention that the whole team is in the 30+'s.

Suns? With the new coach leading this team, it may be different. I can't say they will do worse, but that coach better preach defense because they are terrible at defense. They are another team that tries to outscore the other opponent which absolutely goes nowhere. OFFENSE SELLS TICKETS, DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS!

Hopefully the Nuggets read that sentence carefully going into the next season. We have to land Josh Smith or someone with defense that can play different positions well. He's young, and apparently the Nuggets FO are taking that approach...

I'm just praying that this team doesn't fade away to a 9th or 10th seed... This Carmelo and AI thing has one more year to work out... Really... No ****....

Let's see how the Nuggs respond!

Theanswer76
07-18-2008, 01:23 AM
I agree, pull the trigger and get Josh Smith!

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-18-2008, 01:47 AM
J Smoove in a Denver uniform!

is there a reason why we couldnt get J Smoove money wise...?

liliverson819
07-18-2008, 02:11 AM
how are we gonna get josh? were still way over the salary cap all we have to offer is the mle and bae that wont be nearly enough for josh