PDA

View Full Version : Nugs thinking of bringing back Elson, Birdman

DenButsu
07-17-2008, 12:47 AM
In the short term, the Nuggets are considering Chris Andersen and Francisco Elson as possibilities to replace Camby.

Elson's agent, Calvin Andrews, who represents Carmelo Anthony, said Nuggets officials have told him they have interest in bringing back his client.

Elson played for the Nuggets from 2003 to 2006 before signing with San Antonio as a free agent. He was traded by the Spurs to Seattle in February and finished the season with the SuperSonics.

"There have been no offers," Andrews said. "But (the Nuggets) have told me they definitely will consider Cisco. I think it would be a good fit."

Andersen's agent, Steve Heumann, would not comment when asked if the Nuggets have contacted him about his client, but an NBA source said the Nuggets have discussed bringing him back to Denver.

Andersen, known as "Birdman" for his leaping ability, spent two seasons in Denver before signing with New Orleans as a free agent after the 2003-04 season. He was banned from the NBA in January 2006 for violating the league's substance abuse policy and was reinstated in the spring.

Former University of Colorado center David Harrison also is a possibility.

A source said the Nuggets are continuing to look at Harrison, an unrestricted free agent who played last season for the Indiana Pacers. Harrison last week said he has interest in playing for the Nuggets and would be willing to sign a minimum deal if he felt he would get adequate playing time.rockymountainnews (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/jul/16/camby-insulted-trade/)

DenButsu
07-17-2008, 01:31 AM
Could Chris Andersen return to Nuggets?

By Chris Tomasson

The Nuggets need a big man. And they need one who will work for cheap.
How about the "Birdman?''
Chris Andersen was one of the most popular Nuggets players while with the team from 2001-04. After a two-year suspension for violating the NBA drug policy, Andersen returned to the New Orleans Hornets midway through last season.
Andersen didn't play much the remainder of the season, one reason being that the Hornets, one of the West's top teams, already had their rotation set. Now, Andersen, after averaging just 1.2 points and 1.8 rebounds in five Hornets games, is a free agent.
After losing Eduardo Najera and Marcus Camby in the past week, the Nuggets have holes up front. Could Andersen be a fix?
"I can't comment on that,'' Andersen's agent, Steven Heumann, said in a brief phone conversation at noon Wednesday when asked if the Nuggets have contacted him about his client.
It seems Andersen could be a good fit for the Nuggets, who traded Camby to save money and prefer now to hand out minimum contacts. Perhaps they will take a serious look at him.rockymountainnews (http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/nuggets/archives/2008/07/could_chris_and.html)

If I were picking one or the other, though, I'd definitely prefer to take Francisco Back.

3RDASYSTEM
07-17-2008, 01:50 AM
U Cant Teach Tho Some Differ, Hustle N Physical Play So I Dont Mind Taken All 3 If Price Is Right,which It Should Be...think About Mj Bulls And The Role Players They Had, Purdue,wennington,buechler Hodges,livingston Kerr Kukoc Was Decent And Cant Forget Da Slow Foot Longley So Teams Need Those Type Of Hustle Players And Guys Who Stick To Their Role

avsman05
07-17-2008, 02:02 AM
If we can get any of those guys it would ease the pain Francisco would be the best but we would have a hustler with anderson and d with harrison

DenButsu
07-17-2008, 02:49 AM
U Cant Teach Tho Some Differ, Hustle N Physical Play So I Dont Mind Taken All 3 If Price Is Right,which It Should Be...think About Mj Bulls And The Role Players They Had, Purdue,wennington,buechler Hodges,livingston Kerr Kukoc Was Decent And Cant Forget Da Slow Foot Longley So Teams Need Those Type Of Hustle Players And Guys Who Stick To Their Role

Welcome to the Nuggets forum!

Broncs4Life
07-17-2008, 09:17 AM
Adding Francisco would probably be better. I don't know that Andersen would be a good choice because of how long he was out of the game. What would bringing these guys in mean for Steven Hunter? Probably more bench time :mad:

mgthompson
07-17-2008, 09:25 AM
I like Elson, but if Rex is stating we are trying to buid a championship team, well it seems like we are regressing.

Lose Najera, and camby.

Possibly get Elson and Anderson.

Yay. We saved money and will get worse.

BRAVE KID
07-17-2008, 09:50 AM
I'll take anyone of the three (harrison, elson, andersen). I would prefer elson though and harrison but it probably might be elson and andersen. We need size and the desire to play D, I think we can get that with elson and andersen. and they might come dirt cheap, which is good for us. they aren't going to be pretty on offense but we don't need them (hell camby wasn't) if they hustle they can get some garbage points and AI can give them some cheap baskets as well. I don't mind both of them.

It seems that we are going to rely on Nene and k-mart on our post game oh goodie.

IBleedPurple
07-17-2008, 05:22 PM
I think Cisco is good, unless he's tryin to catch a quick pass. But that being said, he is the best of the 3 right now.

Birdman brings some Najera type energy and gives the crowd some excitement to cheer about, which is good since we will be losing so much.

And Harrison has the most upside, and he could be alright, but I really don't like any of these players if by some miracle we make the playoffs.

Nugget Tony
07-17-2008, 06:58 PM
I had to laugh when I saw the title of this thread....

We are kidding ourselves here.....Cisco? IBleedPurple said it best....."I think Cosco is good, unless he's tryin to catch a quick pass." lol...dude has absolutely no hands......Im not sure about him.....I guees we have complet given up on Hunter.....

The Birdman....dude was out of the league....that doesnt bode well for his game.....The best thing about the Birdman was his hair do.....and how comical this guy was......I can't see this working at all....

Dont know a thing about Harrison...so I can't comment....

But I am starting to get that itching feeling that this year our FO has given up on and we are already looking at 2009-2010......

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Yes i beleive they FO is looking passed this up coming season. I was looking forward to it. almost everything that could have gone wrong for this team, has. Cisco? and birman? plz... neither of them are peices to a championship team. IMO. on the bright side, Nene is a capable starter when healthy, so if we can pick up a PG, it will bring my faith back.

3RDASYSTEM
07-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Thank U Denbutsu, Glad To Be Here. I Feel Andersen Is A More Athletic Najera Tho Najera Is Better 3 Shooter, Who Cares If Andersen Has Been Out Game His Game Is Runnin/dunkin So All He Needs To Do Is Get His Condition Back,hes A Role Player/high Energy Player Not A Future Hof, Harrison/elson Would Be Nice And I Agree Ai Would Get Them Some Easy Spoon Buckets, Fo Jus Needs To Make It Happen Cuz Its Cheap, Dont Bash Me But I Would Also Consider Kwame Brown, Hes More Athletic/physical And Has More Size Plus Hes Cheap,wat Yall Think

Game_Over
07-17-2008, 08:00 PM
OMG am I the only one that hates Elson this guy is so clumsy.. He has no cordination its funny watching this guy.. He is horrible shooting aswell, I was so happy when we got rid of him.. Please not Elson!!!!!!!!!!!

Nugget Tony
07-17-2008, 10:12 PM
OMG am I the only one that hates Elson this guy is so clumsy.. He has no cordination its funny watching this guy.. He is horrible shooting aswell, I was so happy when we got rid of him.. Please not Elson!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree...he is a big clumsy ****......I don't want this guy....we are taking steps backwards.....

And to the dude above me....3RDASYSTEM.... Kwame Brown = This generation Shawn Bradley.....please don't even mention his name in the same sentence as Denver Nugget......

Latrell Houston
07-17-2008, 10:23 PM
Damn Nuggets....I got this $180 dallor Camby jersey that I cant wear no more...Marcus is 34.....So he most likely has two more productive seasons in him.(If Healthy)......I hope M.C. really sticks it to them when they play..As far as Birdman.....I wish him all the luck in the world....I like a good comeback story....Just look at dude from the Texas Ranger that hit them 28 homeruns in the homerun derby....He was a feen...

jeff86
07-17-2008, 11:58 PM
i think i was the one in the middle of the season that said bring back the birdman

god i dont want any of these guys

SuperMarioG-Man
07-18-2008, 12:06 AM
I can't wait to have Elson's career avg. of 4.1 points per game and 3.8 rebounds per game. Yeah he only gets 16.6 minutes per game to do it in, but even if you double all that it still sucks! That better not be the answer at center, or else that's already checkmate for Mark Warkentien.

Youngddr20
07-18-2008, 12:57 AM
Hello I'm new... Just to tell everyone... LoL... Anyways, I like the addition of any of them. Bring in another body to add depth and play a key reserve role. This season is far being a waste. I understand all the anger, ya I was a little disappointed too about Camby being traded but at the same time it's not like just because he is gone our season is lost. Iverson and Carmelo alone makes us a contending team. This is the season I feel Melo and Iverson will really bond together. Our roster is still stacked with talent and if G. Karl will show some passion in his coaching, and light a fuel under these players, we'll be pretty good. I like the idea of adding new players and talent to the squad because as a fan it will make the season more fun but for the nuggets it's not a smart move unless something crazy good pops up. Lets be patient with this . Sometimes an appealing more isn't always the best.

DenButsu
07-18-2008, 04:59 AM
Hello I'm new... Just to tell everyone... LoL... Anyways, I like the addition of any of them. Bring in another body to add depth and play a key reserve role. This season is far being a waste. I understand all the anger, ya I was a little disappointed too about Camby being traded but at the same time it's not like just because he is gone our season is lost. Iverson and Carmelo alone makes us a contending team. This is the season I feel Melo and Iverson will really bond together. Our roster is still stacked with talent and if G. Karl will show some passion in his coaching, and light a fuel under these players, we'll be pretty good. I like the idea of adding new players and talent to the squad because as a fan it will make the season more fun but for the nuggets it's not a smart move unless something crazy good pops up. Lets be patient with this . Sometimes an appealing more isn't always the best.

Welcome to the Nuggets forum :nod:

cobralou
07-18-2008, 08:01 PM
I think Elson will fill the void left by Camby not in block percentages but defensive presence and shooting percentage.Camby had been developing a wicked shot and hitting nothing but air sometimes he was better off not shooting with this in mind his departure may actually benefit us.We still have time to see who is available in the next couple of months without jumping into a bad situation.If anything time is on our side and i am pretty sure names will start popping up on the availability list for our advantage.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-18-2008, 09:04 PM
if theyre lookin to bring back these two bums, we might as well bring back EARL BOYKINS!

rex.reyesiii
07-18-2008, 09:50 PM
Ei! i saw some of the Birdman's work with the HOrnets on video(youtube) imo he has some skills is it because of a good PG? The ball keeps coming to him and then he dunks it...

well its a highlight video sooo... i dunno.

DenButsu
07-19-2008, 12:38 AM
if theyre lookin to bring back these two bums, we might as well bring back EARL BOYKINS!

No. Bad as AC is, I'd rather have him, and we already have "Earl Plus" in Chucky.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
07-19-2008, 04:30 AM
boykins wasnt as injury prone as chucky is... and you all know that boykins was solid off tha bench. i remember a game in Utah he was servin everybody.

DenButsu
07-19-2008, 04:53 AM
boykins wasnt as injury prone as chucky is... and you all know that boykins was solid off tha bench. i remember a game in Utah he was servin everybody.

He could sometimes catch fire with the threes, but he could shoot us into a loss in the 4th quarter much more often.

Let's face it: He was a fan favorite because he was tiny, and therefore cute. He could hit threes okay (although nothing special, really), but he was fairly terrible from the field (generally averaging in the low .400s in fg%), he consistently dribbled the ball up the court and shot without even looking to pass to teammates, killing any semblance of offensive flow, and he was the worst defensive liability this team has ever had, bar none.

Nothing personal, Earl, but no thanks.

BRAVE KID
07-19-2008, 01:40 PM
I really don't think elson and the birdman are going to be that bad, sure they are not true starters but we just need a big man, who is going to hustle, focus on playing D and play some decent man to man D (something camby could never do), and grab some boards (it doesn't need to be big on the offensive boards but defensive yes they have to be very active) . No need for post play, no need for jumpers just let melo and AI give you some cheap points.

and if they come cheap I don't have a problem with it.

DenButsu
07-19-2008, 08:08 PM
I really don't think elson and the birdman are going to be that bad, sure they are not true starters but we just need a big man, who is going to hustle, focus on playing D and play some decent man to man D (something camby could never do), and grab some boards (it doesn't need to be big on the offensive boards but defensive yes they have to be very active) . No need for post play, no need for jumpers just let melo and AI give you some cheap points.

and if they come cheap I don't have a problem with it.

Yeah, it should also be pointed out that last year around late summer, when it looked like K-Mart was on his way back, we had a lot of discussion about, "If he's back into form, who starts, him or Nene?" Well obviously the answer now is both of them, since Camby's absence resolves that. But prior to dumping Camby we did in fact have three starters for two positions, and a massive amount of cash loaded into the frontcourt. I expect that once AI's off the books, we'll see a better financial distribution in our roster, and hopefully a more even distribution of talent (including a real point) as well.