PDA

View Full Version : Chris Mullin---overrated GM?

jakecosenza
07-17-2008, 12:39 AM
why does everyone think he's so great as the GM

he gave Dunleavy and Murphy HUGE contracts, only made the playoffs once, and partly ruined Gilbert Arenas' warriors career.

I don't really dislike him, i just think that he's way overrated.

oh yeah and gave Foyle a fat contract, drafted Patrick O'Bryant and Ike Diogu in the first round.

garlicboy
07-17-2008, 12:55 AM
After overpaying Maggette and not being able to pick up Camby, I think he's a bit overrated.

I thought he was hitting his stride with the Jax/Harrington trade and the Azbuike pick-up, but I wonder how much of that had to do with Don Nelson.

dubs9erA's
07-17-2008, 01:31 AM
why does nelson get all the credit when thing go good and mullin get the blame when things go wrong

oracle650
07-17-2008, 01:32 AM
cus mullin isn't doin his job or things would be goin good.

dubs9erA's
07-17-2008, 01:34 AM
also we dont need camby where would he play

dubs9erA's
07-17-2008, 01:34 AM
48 wins??

ULT WARRIOR408
07-17-2008, 01:35 AM
duh were have you been i posted something very simular yesterday we all know nellie is the brains behind the opperation. your just a dollar short & a day to late with that info.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-17-2008, 01:41 AM
i posted a thread yesterday it was titled don nelson should be our g.m. look it up

Tmac416
07-17-2008, 02:31 AM
Some of you people need to get your facts straight

1. WE COULD NOT GET CAMBY! the clippers and the grizzlies were the only teams that were in the running becuase they wanted not a single contract back. they have 4 guys all making 10mil plus and they saved 40 mil now. and thats all fact. we were not an option. should i say it again?. we were not an option. dont think there are other teams that would have liked to get him for that price. they now have a 10 mil trade excpetion. This is greta example of people jsut assuming we missed out again yet being completly blind to the rteal facts. And if i really have to ill post all the links showing we could have gotten him and thearticle explaing why the clippers got him for what they did. use your brains just a little bit people.

2. Chris Mullen had absoutly nothing to do with gilbert areanas getting away. nothing. st jean and cohan didnt want to pay him, they dindt think he would reach the level he is at. mullen was an advisor that year, he had no say.

3.Yes he did give those contracts to dunlevy and murphy and foyle. he also got rid of them all. The only part nellie had in getting rid of those guys was he said i cant run my system with those guys, find me some players that will fit. SO Mullen, using his conetions with donny walsh becuase their boys, hence why there was some specualtion walsh was gonan bring mullen into new york swung the deal. that is all mullen. And while we may not have liked dunlevy here, pacers fan love the guy and dont think his contract is waste. he is living up to his contract now. Read articles people. actualy do some homework before you balst him. many of the top minds in the league think he has great basetkball sense and talent evualtor. he is known as the hotest up and coming gm right now. thast why his name comes up everytime there is an gm opening.

4.Mullen drafted Patrick O'bryant and Ike digiou. Lets start with POB. POB's draft class could very well be, the worst draft class of this decade. The hornets took hilton armstong and cedric simmons right afer. hardly anyone has gone on to do anythign form that class. there were no high school players or super freshman talent that year. so he took a chance on guy that had all the tools to be great but it didnt happen. if you think he is just complety unskilled then why did celtics give him a multi year deal.
As for digou, if we dont draft him, the pacer deal never happens. The only reasons why the pacers were willing to eat the fat contracts of murphy and dunlevy is because the pacers were so high on digou as were many others. many in the league thought he was the closet thing to elton brand. people still think if he can play if he plays better defnse, they think he can be good. its not like people have given up on him. With out him, there is no sjax or harington or any of that magic.

5. I know some of you new fans that have no idea about warrior basketball before two years ago, but mullen made about 4 moves to set up the warrios to be able to go get a superstar which is why baron davis was on our team. Speddy claxton and rocks for baron davis. that was all mullen. he had that plan all along becuase he kept saying im setin it up so we can get a player and he came through on his promise. so thanks mullen and soley mullen for getting davis.

As far as maggette goes, yea we over paid by 10 mil overall proably, but this is the same guy that plucked baron, sjax, harington, azubkie, barnes oh and that one scrub, monta ellis, randolph even looks like the real deal and i was very hesiant. The guy knows talent and the players respect him and he gets the best out of them. As soon as maggette starts putting up numbers people wont even think about his contract which really isnt even that bad. Every single time he has had an over priced player, he ALWAYS finds a way to get rid of them. Not mention he does all of this with the real douche bag in mr. cohan as the owner.

So all you hating on mullen, way to jump off the ship now and we wont miss you. Mullen has done a great job, and has crafted the most excting team in the nba and even when he makes a mistake he is able to fix it. so have some god damn pateince. were in the middle of freakin july and some of you think were the yankees or someting becuase we dont a mainstream superstar right now. let him make some freakin moves. just cuz you come on boards and go yea why dont go do this, you dont realize that its not areal option for us. mullen has done an outstanding job and all you people who think he sucks cuz you play nba video games and pull off fanatsy moves doesnt mean the real world works that way.

garlicboy
07-17-2008, 02:55 AM

1. WE COULD NOT GET CAMBY! the clippers and the grizzlies were the only teams that were in the running becuase they wanted not a single contract back. they have 4 guys all making 10mil plus and they saved 40 mil now. and thats all fact. we were not an option. should i say it again?. we were not an option. dont think there are other teams that would have liked to get him for that price. they now have a 10 mil trade excpetion. This is greta example of people jsut assuming we missed out again yet being completly blind to the rteal facts. And if i really have to ill post all the links showing we could have gotten him and thearticle explaing why the clippers got him for what they did. use your brains just a little bit people.

Tmac,
Your completely wrong. We are also under the cap. $17 million under the cap and that's including Maggette's contract. We could've had Camby and and offered a 2nd rounder straight up, no flip flop of 2nd rounders

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state.htm

Tmac416
07-17-2008, 03:20 AM
Tmac,
Your completely wrong. We are also under the cap. $17 million under the cap and that's including Maggette's contract. We could've had Camby and and offered a 2nd rounder straight up, no flip flop of 2nd rounders

http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state.htm

no garlic boy im not. we can not have him, maggette, and our extentions to biedrins and ellis. he is owed 10 mil voer the next two seasons. 10 mil of him plus 10 mill form maggete and plus atleast 10 mil for ellis 8-12 mil for biedrins, we were never ever an option period. no matter how good you think it sound on paper.

"From Denver's side, the only way the Nuggets could shed costs for the coming season was to make a trade with a team under the salary cap. The Clippers and Grizzlies were the only such teams, and the Grizz aren't exactly chomping at the bit to spend their money, especially not on a 35-year-old with a history of injuries. So the Clippers basically had the market cornered and could name their price, which in this case was darn near nothing."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=hollinger_john&page=Camby_Clips-080716
i dont get why you think our teamw as jsut so outa of teh loop. all29 other teams didnt get to make this trade either.

garlicboy
07-17-2008, 03:31 AM
We're under the cap, we may have crossed the luxury tax signing Monta and Biedrins but we still could've had Camby.

If we wanted to save money, we could've done the exact same thing that Denver did to Camby, bu we colud've done that to Al Harrington.
We definitely would've been under the lux tax. Al for Eric Snow.

We missed the boat on Camby.

ridere46
07-17-2008, 05:03 AM
are you kiddin...he's doin a great job. they've made the playoffs and almost won 50 games last season. best of all, basketball in oakland is fun again. gone are the days of david wood and victor alexander and basketball futility. the warriors future is brighter than previous years and i think mully has a lot to do with it. you guys need to appreciate what's happening here. it wasn't too long ago when the dubs couldn't even manage to win 20 games.

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-17-2008, 11:08 AM
There are some questionable picks but it feels better to be a Warrior fan now then in the past. He's doing fine. Overrated......no. If anything, he's one big trade away from becoming a top GM.

Bosh=nextKG
07-17-2008, 11:19 AM
We're under the cap, we may have crossed the luxury tax signing Monta and Biedrins but we still could've had Camby.

If we wanted to save money, we could've done the exact same thing that Denver did to Camby, bu we colud've done that to Al Harrington.

I hope you're kidding about the Al for Eric Snow thing. Is Snow even playin still? he sucks. I don't think we need a pg that badly. We should just trade Al either for a bigger guy who can clog up the middle or just to dump his contract on someone else.

mihirdesu
07-17-2008, 11:49 AM

Yeah, we are under the cap. However, since both monta and biedris are restricted free agents they were given qualifying offers. Those offers count against the cap. Thus we have a little less than 10 million under the cap, so that made the trade unfeasible.
But even if we were 10 mil under the cap, it wouldn't make sense from an owner's perspective to do the trade because once the trade was made we'd have no cap room. Then if you want to sign monta and andris, let's say about 20 million combined, we'd be about 7 million over the luxury tax and need to fill 3 roster spots. And even then we wouldn't be a true contender in the west. We would be fighting for the 6-8 seeds, and that in the owner's perspective is not worth going over the luxury tax.

cheesy poofs
07-17-2008, 11:49 AM

We missed the boat on Camby.the NBA has this thing known as cap holds that restrict teams from circumventing the cap. So Turiaf's offer is included, Maggette's, the FA's all have cap holds (for example, Andris' is roughly $7.9 mill) and Camby's incentives counts.

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap.htm#14

but before we signed Turiaf & Maggette, if Denver was willing to trade Camby to us at that time, that option was open. Camby's contract w/ his incentives is roughly around Magette's, so it's possible to still have made an offer to Turiaf afterwards.

it's a matter of whether you'd like Camby or Maggette. which is something that is subjective.

based purely on basketball i'd of rather of had Camby, but i'll leave room for doubt since the signing is supposedly about Maggette setting an example for the young players on work ethic and Camby is old. though i still feel Maggette's contract is too long.

oracle650
07-17-2008, 11:54 AM
gettin rid of murphy and dunleavy was heavily influenced by nelly. nelly was after al when he was the mavericks coach. all I'm saying is besides getting baron what has he done? and it wouldn't make sense to get rid of baron to go young and get camby. all defense team whatever. he's a season away from club med and magnum pi shirts. mullin still has time to change my mind. love him from the tim mitch chris days though. marcus has never had over 12 ppg so big deal.:D

Thatruth32
07-17-2008, 12:11 PM
no mullin = no more buzz cut nights... and then were would we all be now think about that.... lmao

garlicboy
07-17-2008, 12:42 PM
but before we signed Turiaf & Maggette, if Denver was willing to trade Camby to us at that time, that option was open. Camby's contract w/ his incentives is roughly around Magette's, so it's possible to still have made an offer to Turiaf afterwards.

it's a matter of whether you'd like Camby or Maggette. which is something that is subjective.

based purely on basketball i'd of rather of had Camby, but i'll leave room for doubt since the signing is supposedly about Maggette setting an example for the young players on work ethic and Camby is old. though i still feel Maggette's contract is too long.

Exactly,
Before we went off and offered Camby a contract, I would have rather have had Camby for a 2nd round pick. He's MUCH cheaper than Maggette, and comes off the books in 2 years. Camby is old, but with 13 rebounds and 3.3 blocks per game, he doesn't play old.

If we traded for Maggette, we could have also resigned Buike. Camby's 2 year contract and a 25 year old Buike signed for 5 years $25 million is cheaper than Maggette and Turiaf, and we lock up a nice young player that everyone on this forum seems to like in Azubuike. In fact we still could've signed Turiaf in addition to signing Buike.

I'm telling you, Camby would have been a GREAT addition.
1.) He covers up peoples mistakes on D so we could play Marco, CJ, Al, etc.
2.) He has a short contract
3.) He would've kept Boozer, Duncan, Gasol, Odom, etc from getting anything close to 20 rebounds.

garlicboy
07-17-2008, 12:44 PM
I hope you're kidding about the Al for Eric Snow thing. Is Snow even playin still? he sucks. I don't think we need a pg that badly. We should just trade Al either for a bigger guy who can clog up the middle or just to dump his contract on someone else.

This was a salary savings move, we would've saved $2 million or so.

Warriorsforlife
07-17-2008, 01:03 PM
He made a few mistakes when he started out but thats what rookies do. He's not a rookie anymore and it shows. New York and many other teams would love to have him. When he gets a new job, its gonna be a sad day in Oaktown.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-17-2008, 01:09 PM
So Jake Did You Take My Advice & Read My Don Nelson Thread Let Me Know When You Due Then Tell Me What You Think

likemystylez
07-17-2008, 02:58 PM

2. Chris Mullen had absoutly nothing to do with gilbert areanas getting away. nothing. st jean and cohan didnt want to pay him, they dindt think he would reach the level he is at. mullen was an advisor that year, he had no say.

3.Yes he did give those contracts to dunlevy and murphy and foyle. he also got rid of them all. The only part nellie had in getting rid of those guys was he said i cant run my system with those guys, find me some players that will fit. SO Mullen, using his conetions with donny walsh becuase their boys, hence why there was some specualtion walsh was gonan bring mullen into new york swung the deal. that is all mullen. And while we may not have liked dunlevy here, pacers fan love the guy and dont think his contract is waste. he is living up to his contract now. Read articles people. actualy do some homework before you balst him. many of the top minds in the league think he has great basetkball sense and talent evualtor. he is known as the hotest up and coming gm right now. thast why his name comes up everytime there is an gm opening.

4.Mullen drafted Patrick O'bryant and Ike digiou. Lets start with POB. POB's draft class could very well be, the worst draft class of this decade. The hornets took hilton armstong and cedric simmons right afer. hardly anyone has gone on to do anythign form that class. there were no high school players or super freshman talent that year. so he took a chance on guy that had all the tools to be great but it didnt happen. if you think he is just complety unskilled then why did celtics give him a multi year deal.
As for digou, if we dont draft him, the pacer deal never happens. The only reasons why the pacers were willing to eat the fat contracts of murphy and dunlevy is because the pacers were so high on digou as were many others. many in the league thought he was the closet thing to elton brand. people still think if he can play if he plays better defnse, they think he can be good. its not like people have given up on him. With out him, there is no sjax or harington or any of that magic.

5. I know some of you new fans that have no idea about warrior basketball before two years ago, but mullen made about 4 moves to set up the warrios to be able to go get a superstar which is why baron davis was on our team. Speddy claxton and rocks for baron davis. that was all mullen. he had that plan all along becuase he kept saying im setin it up so we can get a player and he came through on his promise. so thanks mullen and soley mullen for getting davis.

As far as maggette goes, yea we over paid by 10 mil overall proably, but this is the same guy that plucked baron, sjax, harington, azubkie, barnes oh and that one scrub, monta ellis, randolph even looks like the real deal and i was very hesiant. The guy knows talent and the players respect him and he gets the best out of them. As soon as maggette starts putting up numbers people wont even think about his contract which really isnt even that bad. Every single time he has had an over priced player, he ALWAYS finds a way to get rid of them. Not mention he does all of this with the real douche bag in mr. cohan as the owner.

So all you hating on mullen, way to jump off the ship now and we wont miss you. Mullen has done a great job, and has crafted the most excting team in the nba and even when he makes a mistake he is able to fix it. so have some god damn pateince. were in the middle of freakin july and some of you think were the yankees or someting becuase we dont a mainstream superstar right now. let him make some freakin moves. just cuz you come on boards and go yea why dont go do this, you dont realize that its not areal option for us. mullen has done an outstanding job and all you people who think he sucks cuz you play nba video games and pull off fanatsy moves doesnt mean the real world works that way.

For somebody who thinks they know so much.... You spelt MULIN's name wrong about 45 times in this post. If Mullin doesnt put a team on the floor that wins 48 games this year... then he isnt a good GM. The objective should be to make your team better every year (unless you win 72 games or something). Warriors won 48 games and lost games to min, chicago, atlanta, seatle and the clippers at home. They also lost road games to ind, sacramento, and NJ that they should have won. Theres definitely room for improvement... I would say atleast 3 or 4 more wins.

oracle650
07-17-2008, 03:03 PM
^hell yea when your team is still makin bone head moves it is the gm's fault.

Tmac416
07-17-2008, 03:09 PM
For somebody who thinks they know so much.... You spelt MULIN's name wrong about 45 times in this post. If Mullin doesnt put a team on the floor that wins 48 games this year... then he isnt a good GM. The objective should be to make your team better every year (unless you win 72 games or something). Warriors won 48 games and lost games to min, chicago, atlanta, seatle and the clippers at home. They also lost road games to ind, sacramento, and NJ that they should have won. Theres definitely room for improvement... I would say atleast 3 or 4 more wins.

lol i dont give a **** if spell his name wrong on the computer.im not sure what your trying to prove but talking about teams we lost to and should have beat is not a refelction of the gm. if your sugesting we lsot to teams we should have crushed then thats on don nelson.
IF the nuggets came out and siad we were never gonna trade camby to the dubs some of you still would think mullin messed up. marcus camby is not the difrenc eon the team and when his play really drops off this year youll see. Mullen has a done a great job period. if your trying to base his tenure off camby then thats the craziest thing i have heard. mullen is doing a great job, he has plan and we weill be fine

oracle650
07-17-2008, 03:14 PM
^I'm just saying players like jr smith or josh smith....not interested in. think we were about to get brand for what???? to be like the kings have a bunch of players that don't compliment each other with no official scheme. I'm not mad about mag 50 and turiaf but dayum. tmac you got some cool things to disperse but lemme know if my spelling is off like yours.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-17-2008, 03:15 PM
look twac 416 don nelson is the one telling mullin to due what he dose & spell mullin correctly.the best choice mullin ever was signing nellie everything else is nellies doing.

Tmac416
07-17-2008, 03:23 PM
look twac 416 don nelson is the one telling mullin to due what he dose & spell mullin correctly.the best choice mullin ever was signing nellie everything else is nellies doing.

lol your like the smartest person i have ever read on here. its really amazing haha wow. lol ill spell mullin right when you go get hooked on phonix and learn the english language. lol seriously read what you write. its amazing.
Hey smart guy its DOES, lol not dose.

Go ahead and reread my post becuase mullin is the one making the moves and not don neslon. if you really think don nelson is the one making all moves then your understanding of personal moves in basketball is even lower than i had orgianlly thought

garlicboy
07-17-2008, 03:24 PM
Mullin has his strengths, and he has his weaknesses. However his greatest weaknesses contract negotiations and signings, is coming up. Maggette was overpaid. If you want to sign 2 youngsters to cheap to fair deals, you don't get off to a good start by overpaying for a 29 year old SF.

I was a strong proponent of extending Monta Ellis last year afte Devin Harris signed for $8 mil/year and K-Mart signed for $10 mil/year. I thought we should offer Monta a $8/year contract and go up to $9/year. People thought I was crazy, nuts, ridiculous, etc. Well, now it looks like that it will take at least $10 most likely more. Well see what happens.

Biedrins I didn't want to resign,because we would have been in the luxry tax threshold, and our guards score on this team not our big men.

After not resigning Monta and Biedrins last year. I also felt that it was a big mistake for the Dubs to sign Azbuike for so cheap. I can understand why, since Belinelli looked great, but Azbuike was a better rebounder and defender, and can also knock down the three.

There's a lot of things you can look at, but contract negotiations and signings, are definitely not this strong suit.

I hope he turns it around with Monta and Biedrins.

oracle650
07-17-2008, 03:26 PM
how will you ever know how much pull nelly has in deciscions? :confused:are you his caddy in maui? pass that maui wow wee your pullin:smoking: the way you talk i'm thinking you knew baron was leaving too. so what's goin on next year?

Tmac416
07-17-2008, 03:36 PM
how will you ever know how much pull nelly has in deciscions? :confused:are you his caddy in maui? pass that maui wow wee your pullin:smoking: the way you talk i'm thinking you knew baron was leaving too. so what's goin on next year?

Becuase mullin is the gm and nelson is the coach. Nelson has come out and said many times how he thinks mullin is doing a great job and that he si the one running the show. you give credit to nelson for a move you like and yout blame mullin for the moves you dont. People blame mullin for not getting a pg yet and think ellis cant be the pg. well don nelson is the bigest backer of ellis playing pg. .
And yea you could easily tell that baron was not gonna be around. reading interviewws, hearing the reports, reading between the lines. if he didnt opt out this year, it was very clear he was gonna leave after that. Right now its the middle of july and alot of the big moves that could come wont happen for a few more weeks and until teams know exactly what there gonna have. Every time mullin has made a deal it has come out of left field with no one else knowing it was gonna happen. so be patient.

likemystylez
07-17-2008, 04:49 PM
Wins and losses are not directly Mullin's responsability, but ultimately he is in charge of putting a good team on the floor.

In the summer of 07, Mullin FAILED to bring Kevin Garnett in, This summer he failed to Bring Elton Brand in.... and you have to mess up pretty bad to offer MORE money than anybody else a player is talking too, and STILL not even draw serious consideration. Especially when the warriors play a brand of basketball that bob fitsgerald says "every player int he league would love to play"... so why are players turning down more money to play a more fun style? and it isnt just one guy, Mullin has blown it on two superstars. Also he failed to get gilbert arenas' on board TWICE!!!

so far this summer, Mullin has allowed a superstar go to guy in baron davis to leave the team, and he has not put another superstar on the team. If you are going to let a guy like baron leave, you had better be certain that you are going to land a Lebron James, Chris Paul, Kobe Bryant, dwight howard, or atleast a duncan deron williams or mcgrady type guy.

Mullin brought in Maggette which proves he isnt interested in winning games because maggette has never been a winner in his life except his one year at duke.

Tmac416
07-17-2008, 04:58 PM
OK explain to me how it was his fault that garnett and brand were his fault?

How is his fault that we threw as much money as we could at brand but he chose to play closer to home and so he went to philly. that has nothign do with mullin.

Garnett did not want to come here. He didnt even want to go to boston at first until they got ray allen if you remeber corectly. Garnett caleld the shots on where he was going to go. we let baron leave becuase were replacing him with ellis.

why is it his fault that gilbert liked playing in washington dc. He was never gonna leave. He said as long they get jamison then he will come back. he was never gonna come here. we offred him a contract and everyone knew it was along shot. and he wasnt even the gm when gilbert lef the first time? your just blaming him for something he didnt have a say in.

Its very strange to call maggette a career loser when elton brand was right there next to him the whole time. how could you possibly say mullin signed maggette becuase hd doesnt want to win. rather you like him or not, you should know enough about him as player and person to know he wants to win.

likemystylez
07-17-2008, 06:48 PM
OK explain to me how it was his fault that garnett and brand were his fault?

How is his fault that we threw as much money as we could at brand but he chose to play closer to home and so he went to philly. that has nothign do with mullin.

Garnett did not want to come here. He didnt even want to go to boston at first until they got ray allen if you remeber corectly. Garnett caleld the shots on where he was going to go. we let baron leave becuase were replacing him with ellis.

why is it his fault that gilbert liked playing in washington dc. He was never gonna leave. He said as long they get jamison then he will come back. he was never gonna come here. we offred him a contract and everyone knew it was along shot. and he wasnt even the gm when gilbert lef the first time? your just blaming him for something he didnt have a say in.

I didnt say his job was easy. But allt hese excuses... why is mullin the only GM that is having such a hard time with this. Boston's staff didnt have too much winning expierience and they got garnett and allan in the same summer.

Its very strange to call maggette a career loser when elton brand was right there next to him the whole time. how could you possibly say mullin signed maggette becuase hd doesnt want to win. rather you like him or not, you should know enough about him as player and person to know he wants to win.

I actually thought about this almost immediatly after I posted. They went to the same college, and have been on the same team for the last decade....I dont know why I consider brand a winner and maggette not so much... but I know Im not alone in that belief.

mintfrosty
07-17-2008, 07:18 PM
I have to agree with your arguments Tmac416. Essentially it is Mullin's job to put the competitive talent on the court. Whether they win or lose depends on a variety of factors such as coaching, injuries, focus, etc. none of which Mullin has direct control over.

As for the talent part...the Warriors have consistently picked up/drafted/traded for good talented players since Mullin has been around.

oracle650
07-17-2008, 07:52 PM
I know ever since Nelson been around.:D

likemystylez
07-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Mullin needs to get a superstar. He allowed the warriors to let their best player walk away and get NOTHING in return.

You might say, well it was barons choice to walk away and Mullin would have been a fool to pay him the 65 million dollar contract. That argument definitely holds weight with me.

However... Mullin sat back and opted NOT to trade Baron Davis when he knew this was in the cards. Mullin sat back and opted NOT to use the 10 million dollar trade exception.

Then when all this happened, Mullin didnt even have a plan.

He just started throwing offers out at 3 different players who play 3 different styles, 3 different positions, and 3 different personalities. Im talking about Arenas, Brand, and Maggette. This just showed me that Mullin was in panick mode, and didnt have a set plan of what he wanted to accomplish.

I think Brand saw this flaw in Mullin and just assumed itd be better to stay away from an organization ran like this.... despite the fact that it costed him about 10 million dollars. You need to really F up bad to make someone walk away from 10 million dollars IMO. There arent many things people could do to make me walk away from that kind of money.

And even now- Mullin still has harrington on the roster and appears to be set to go with him for the reg season.....he doesnt have a point gaurd on the team, and for crying outloud hes being made a fool of by the clippers (another thing thats actually hard to do)

garlicboy
07-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Mullin needs to get a superstar. He allowed the warriors to let their best player walk away and get NOTHING in return.

However... Mullin sat back and opted NOT to trade Baron Davis when he knew this was in the cards. Mullin sat back and opted NOT to use the 10 million dollar trade exception.

Mullin didnt even have a plan.

I think Brand saw this flaw in Mullin and just assumed itd be better to stay away from an organization ran like this.... despite the fact that it costed him about 10 million dollars. You need to really F up bad to make someone walk away from 10 million dollars IMO. There arent many things people could do to make me walk away from that kind of money.

And even now- Mullin still has harrington on the roster and appears to be set to go with him for the reg season.....he doesnt have a point gaurd on the team, and for crying outloud hes being made a fool of by the clippers (another thing thats actually hard to do)

First off, wasn't it Mullin who traded for Baron and received some of Baron's greatest years? Wasn't it Mullin who drafted potential superstar Monta Ellis and possibly Anthony Randolph?

We didn't get nothing for Baron??? With the cap space($17.8 million), We signed Maggette and Turiaf and still have $3.8 million left in cap space. More than enough room to possibly sign Azubuike.

You blame Mullin for not using the trade exception, I blame the owner.

Brand didn't come here because he's from the East Coast and wanted to go home. Would you want to play on the East Coast and deal with mind-numbing wind and snow that made you feel as if your balls would freeze and break off? Fricken cold over there! I went to school on the East Coast for a couple years and I don't understand why people love the east coast. I guess you learn to love what you know. To each their own. I'd take a pay cut to stay on the West Coast. Same thing with Brand he would've taken a major pay cut to stay on the East Coast.

Culture played a major role as the East and West Coasts are opposites that don't attract.

The only thing I do question is his ability negotiating and signing contracts.

However Mullin like he was as a player is improving as a GM and has improved the talent and cap space of this roster.

With the signing of Maggette and Turiaf and the drafting of Radolph and Hendrix, we have a nice mix of veterans and young players.

garlicboy
07-19-2008, 12:40 PM
The only problem I have with Mullin is his negotiating of contracts, I don't think he's that smooth in that respect. Other than that, I think Mullin like he was as a player is improving as a GM and has vastly improved this team talent wise and salary cap wise.

We have a great blend of veterans and youngsters.

ridere46
07-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Solid arguement but being a GM is a lot harder than playing one. I, too was upset BD walked away for nothing. What really caught my eye was the fact that Mully and the org. was ill-prepared. They were totally caught off guard when BD opted out. "How can anyone walk away from so much money?" All of a sudden the Ws were throwing fat contracts to Arenas, Brand, Maggette, even Turiaf. Clearly there was PANIC. Mully didn't have a plan! He wasn't expecting BD to fold and walk away, though he later mentioned to TK of the Merc that he didn't expect him to be back. That's hard to believe after how he reacted by trying to MAX out Arenas after. With that said, no one can predict what a player will do. If he wants to go closer to home then he will. Davis got a great contract. I think he's wort it.

Other than that I think Mully is doing a fine job. It wasn't his fault Brand isn't a Warrior. I believe Brand wanted to be closer to home too and he's with a solid team. Wasn't his property up for sale and living in an apartment by season's end? The Ws was never really in the Brand race. Mully tried but there are times when it isn't about the money and everybody knew that was a long shot.

Some of you can point fingers at Mully for whatever reasons of failure and inadequacies. But think for a minute how much better the warriors have been the past few years than say...5, 10, or even 14 years ago. Remember how horrible the warriors were. Do you? Now the Ws have a good future with future talent. And for once the Ws have an identify; running offense, Nelly, Mully, Monta...the rest of the NBA knows about the Ws. It's not easy being a GM. Mully relatively is new at it and he inherited a team that WAS in the dumps. He helped bring back the Ws from NBA obscurity. Be patient with him, there's still a lot of time left to make moves and make the team better. If you really think you can be a better GM then apply for the job.

You might say, well it was barons choice to walk away and Mullin would have been a fool to pay him the 65 million dollar contract. That argument definitely holds weight with me.

Then when all this happened, Mullin didnt even have a plan.

He just started throwing offers out at 3 different players who play 3 different styles, 3 different positions, and 3 different personalities. Im talking about Arenas, Brand, and Maggette. This just showed me that Mullin was in panick mode, and didnt have a set plan of what he wanted to accomplish.

OaklandsFinest
07-19-2008, 02:53 PM
Overall I'm pretty happy with the job Mullin has done. I just don't like a couple things. I wish they could've come to terms on a deal with Baron especially after Brand said he was going to Philly they could've came at him with an offer to come back, and stole him. And number 2 trading J Rich cause he was my fav. player at the time. I still think he's a special talent with a ton of heart.

Lincoln Logs
07-20-2008, 10:32 PM
The reason Mullin's being heralded as one of the best young, rising GMs is because he's learning.

Like many new GMs, the first couple years were rough. Signing Dunleavy, Murphy, and Foyle to large contracts for example.

However, unlike many GMs, he didn't stay with the sinking ship, and learned from his mistakes. Hegot Baron, dumped Foyle, and then traded Murphy/Dunleavy for Jackson/Harrington, and has reinvigorated our franchise. You can't call him an overrated GM for that.

He then made the correct move this year in not giving Baron a 5 year deal. As much as we love him, the money and years were not worth it, and we've used to money to sign a 20ppg scorer in Maggette, and the perfect big man off the bench for us in Turiaf, while still having 4 mil cap space.

It really isn't his fault about Garnett and Brand, they simply wanted to play somewhere else.

His draft picks have been solid, O'Bryant really was the best player availble, but doesn't fit our system or Nellie, and Diogu could still be a solid player if he gets the playing time. Injuries have ravaged him. All the other picks, Andris, Monta, Wright, Belinelli, Hendrix, and Randolph have given us a solid young core that could potentially become one of the best teams in the league in a few years. We have a team to be competitive now, but one thats so very young, athletic, and skilled that we could be scary good with the experience of another season or two. That's the point of this year I believe.

So overall, I'd say Mullin's done an excellent job.

GLobo
07-23-2008, 12:31 AM
i'd say so...it seems majority of his good moves came about after Nellie came back, and Nellie has been an excellent GM so I gave credit there to Nellie

Spee-D
07-23-2008, 03:09 AM
ROLF. Since when was Mullin overated??? Sure, you can say that he did indeed give fat contracts to players that certerianly werent worth it (Dunleavy, Murphy, Folye, Fisher, etc) He did draft players that were team needs, not best talent on the board. But you have to give him credit for the things he has done thus far making up his poor decision in the past.

When MM was fired, he got Nellie back to coaching. From there on, life was slowly coming back to the Warriors. You began to see Baron Davis flourish to the player he was back in NO. He traded Mike and Troy, players who were non factors, for Al and Jack who have became key parts to the Warriors sucess. Now, he has put together a team that now can play 9-10 man deep rotation. He didnt suck up to Baron, which was a smart move. Post Dunleavy, Murphy, Foyle ridiculous contract era. Mullin has been playing hard ball to resigning player. Remember when Barnes and Pietrus wanted a big contract, Mully made them settle for less which ended up in favor for us since neither proved to be worth the money.

ULT WARRIOR408
07-23-2008, 03:25 AM
News Flash Spee-d Don Nelson Traded Dunleavy & Murphy Then Don Nelson Told Mullin To Buy Out Foyles Contract The Only Good Moves Mullin Made Was Bringing Nellie Back & Trading For Baron Everything Else Was Nellies Doing Hes A Secret G.m. Its Ironic How When He Came Back The Dubs Started Making Moves That Made Sense Nellie Is Not Just The Coach He's The One Making All The Moves But Mullin Gets All The Credit Mullin Is Overrated As A V.p. Of B-ball Operations Its No Secret

ejdacanay
07-23-2008, 04:10 AM
this is what happens when UNGRATEFUL fans don't get what they want.

-He was right in not giving BD a long term contract.
-CM Signing was overpriced, but was the best we can get in an incredibly weak FA class
-Draft was excellent imo. Picked up a stud in AR who was predicted to go as an early lottery pick. Picked up a bruising big man in Hendrix.
-Turiaf signing was a little overpriced, but if Turiaf develops more then he will be a steal at 4 Mil/Yr. Which is significantly lower then the contract of a MLE.
-Marcus Williams trade was a solid move. He was an excellent player with the Huskies, had excellent vision. Maybe he'll develop well with our squad. Good trade mainly because pick is protected.

Just a few points. Yes he hurt us with bad contract signings throughout his tenure, but he has made very many significant moves.