PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone think the Hornets can take the Western Conference Crown in 2008-2009?

JordansBulls
07-17-2008, 12:39 AM
Does anyone think the Hornets can take the Western Conference Crown in 2008-2009?

Possible Lineup
PG CP3
SG Posey
SF Peja
PF West
C Chandler

They have the defense and offense up front, the outside shooting and the defense in the backcourt. Are they missing anything to win it all?

kobe2008mvp
07-17-2008, 12:46 AM
yes one thing they don't have kobe or ab17. plus the lakers have a much better bench. i think it's going to be the lakers v.s. the jazz, suns(suprise team), or spurs again in the western conference finals and the lakers will win it.they will also beat the celtics in 5 or 6 games at the garden quote me on that.

DenButsu
07-17-2008, 12:51 AM
Since the question was worded "can", I had no qualms about voting yes. They absolutely have as good a chance as any team in the West of emerging on top.

Who do I think WILL win in the West? Way too early to predict. Let's see how the offseason goes and how rosters shape up.

What a great pickup they scored in Posey, though. I'm jealous.

still1ballin
07-17-2008, 12:51 AM
yes one thing they don't have kobe or ab17. plus the lakers have a much better bench. i think it's going to be the lakers v.s. the jazz, suns(suprise team), or spurs again in the western conference finals and the lakers will win it.they will also beat the celtics in 5 or 6 games at the garden quote me on that.

okay ms cleo:eyebrow:

kvrnm
07-17-2008, 12:53 AM
hornets are definatly gonna be tough... there my pick to win the west

horry1ur
07-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Theyre going to tough but i sense something is going to go wrong with that core

lakers4sho
07-17-2008, 01:07 AM
No. They're still not deep enough. They haven't resigned even Pargo yet. Getting Posey helped, though.

Jay22Redd
07-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Does anyone think the Hornets can take the Western Conference Crown in 2008-2009?

Possible Lineup
PG CP3
SG Posey
SF Peja
PF West
C Chandler

They have the defense and offense up front, the outside shooting and the defense in the backcourt. Are they missing anything to win it all?

I think they can but i doubt Posey will be at the two, he should be at the three and Peja should be at the two

argo
07-17-2008, 01:22 AM
it's possible, but there's so many good teams. i'd make LA the favorites, followed by NO, PHX, SA.

STAT32
07-17-2008, 01:22 AM
Yes they could. They have a great young team going, them and the lakes will be competing for the wcf for a long time to come.

Vidball
07-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Yes they can...I don't think they will though.
1. Lakers
2. N.O.
3/4/5 S.A., HOU, UT

Joshtd1
07-17-2008, 01:24 AM
Very possible. Will it happen, who knows..it depends on the health of the team and how good the other teams are as well.

ARMIN12NBA
07-17-2008, 01:34 AM

Possible Lineup
PG CP3
SG Posey
SF Peja
PF West
C Chandler

Yes, they are missing something. Depth. That is very important and currently they have the weakest bench out of all the teams...They don't have Pargo signed yet.

Also, last year they were as healthy as any team could ever be. They barely had any injuries. Chris Paul played 80 games. West played 76 games. Chandler played 79 games. Can they keep that up? They didn't even win the West with arguably one of the healthiest seasons for a team ever and we are not sure they can keep that up next year...And they don't have the bench to back them up.

The Lakers and Jazz are still better than them.

King Koopa
07-17-2008, 01:42 AM
I think they can but i doubt Posey will be at the two, he should be at the three and Peja should be at the two

so your telling me that Peja is going to be guarding people like Kobe,wade, V.C, and t mac Please dont post stuid things like that.None of the two are going to start at SG.

Pg Paul/Mike
Sg Peterson/ Pargo if resigned.
SF Peja/Posey
PF West/Wright
C Tyson/Ely

I still think they need better big men off there bench...

King Koopa
07-17-2008, 01:44 AM
Yes, they are missing something. Depth. That is very important and currently they have the weakest bench out of all the teams...They don't have Pargo signed yet.

Also, last year they were as healthy as any team could ever be. They barely had any injuries. Chris Paul played 80 games. West played 76 games. Chandler played 79 games. Can they keep that up? They didn't even win the West with arguably one of the healthiest seasons for a team ever and we are not sure they can keep that up next year...And they don't have the bench to back them up.

The Lakers and Jazz are still better than them.

No man Hornets are better then the Jazz bro. CP3 would own DW

LAKERS 24/7
07-17-2008, 01:46 AM
Yes they can, but at this point so CAN many other teams

Lakersfan2483
07-17-2008, 01:46 AM
They have a good opportunity but the West is stacked with LA, Portland, Houston, Phx., Dallas, etc... It's too early to make predicitions but I think they will be in the top 4 or 5 teams out west.

starting lineup

CP3
Mo. Peterson
Peja/Posey
D. West
Chandler

Vidball
07-17-2008, 01:47 AM
so your telling me that Peja is going to be guarding people like Kobe,wade, V.C, and t mac Please dont post stuid things like that.None of the two are going to start at SG.

Pg Paul/Mike
SF Peja/Posey
PF West/Wright
C Tyson/Ely

Pargo agreed to terms with the Bucks.

Lakersfan2483
07-17-2008, 01:48 AM
The Hornets are not strong at the 2 guard position, they need to upgrade that spot, Posey is a solid pickup for them.

Vinny642
07-17-2008, 02:12 AM
Yes i think they can, Pargo didn't agree with terms with anyone....

Projected Lineup-
Pg- Paul/Pargo(if resigned)
Sg- Posey/ Mo Pete
Sf- Peja/ Julian Wright
PF- West/ Ely(not sure if he is a FA)
C- Chandler/ Armstrong

A great starting 5. Also we aren't as weak in depth as people once again are underrating our bench for.... Mo Pete couldn't handle starting but he didn't play starting minutes anyway. Julian Wright's defense is good and offense need to improve. Pargo is a great Back up I hope we resign him. Unless I see a link with Pargo to bucks i dont believe you because they got 2 good PGs in Mo Will and Session(he had a 21 assist game, lol)

ARMIN12NBA
07-17-2008, 02:13 AM
No man Hornets are better then the Jazz bro. CP3 would own DW

Mhm. I question that. Deron Williams ALWAYS DOMINATES Chris Paul. CP3 is nothing when they match up against each other.

Head to Head stats (thanks ESPN)

Paul
Wins 1
PPG 13.8
FG Pct. 37.9
APG 8.1

Williams
Wins 7
PPG 17.4
FG Pct. 57.3
APG 6.1

Look at how efficient Williams is compared to Paul. Williams dominates Paul and Paul is inefficient in getting a good shot off. And, BTW, Williams dominates him with a 7-1 lead.

Edge: Deron Williams.

THE_FLASH_21
07-17-2008, 02:15 AM

The Jazz Lakers and the Spurs are still better... The Suns will be up there.. The Hornets need a true PF to compete in the WEST... I love the Hornets bench, but they need brusers who can rebound and good defenders.

THE_FLASH_21
07-17-2008, 02:18 AM
Mhm. I question that. Deron Williams ALWAYS DOMINATES Chris Paul. CP3 is nothing when they match up against each other.

Paul
Wins 1
PPG 13.8
FG Pct. 37.9
APG 8.1

Williams
Wins 7
PPG 17.4
FG Pct. 57.3
APG 6.1

Look at how efficient Williams is compared to Paul. Williams dominates Paul and Paul is inefficient in getting a good shot off. And, BTW, Williams dominates him with a 7-1 lead.

Edge: Deron Williams.

WELL said my friend... CP3 is Dwills be-otch!!

lakers4sho
07-17-2008, 02:18 AM
And overall Utah is a better team than New Orleans. They have good quality bench players, which unfortunately is what New Orleans lacks. Boozer would own David West any day, plus Okur would space the floor so that Chandler and his "shot blocking abilities" would be taken out from the middle. AK47 would own Peja all night. And Utah has an advantage of having a better coach as well.

Vinny642
07-17-2008, 02:32 AM
Dont make me rip the Jazz.... got to the same place 2 yrs in a row and LOSE.
PG- Paul>= D Will(Face it D Will shoots too much but doesnt pass as much as Paul, no defense, doesn't score as much as Paul)

SG- Posey>> Ronnie Brewer??(WTF)

SF- Peja= Ak47( Can't shoot 3s like Peja and DIRTY DIRTY DEFENSE)

PF- David West< Boozer(Boozer is strong but got NO jumpshot, rebounds better then West but he has too)

C- Tyson Chandler>>> Okur(Fake @$$ weak center in Okur shoots 3s all day)

Giants-49ers-Ws
07-17-2008, 02:34 AM
of course they can..but will they? Lakers are gonna be up there..and dont forget bout my W's!

Vinny642
07-17-2008, 02:35 AM
PG- Paul>= D Will(Face it D Will shoots too much but doesnt pass as much as Paul, no defense, doesn't score as much as Paul)

PF- David West< Boozer(Boozer is strong but got NO jumpshot, rebounds better then West but he has too)

Did any of you guys watch The Hornets vs Jazz games this year?
They had Tim Donaghy, his brother and son refing those games.

lakers4sho
07-17-2008, 02:40 AM

lol Peja=Ak47. Peja can't do anything except shoot. At least AK47 can defend. How about their bench? I believe Hornets are lacking something in a contending team. Not saying Jazz have everything, but as of right now, Jazz are better.

ARMIN12NBA
07-17-2008, 02:58 AM

Don't make me rip this post.

Jazz made it to the WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS two years ago and they lost. Then last year they lost to the West Champions in the second round. They didn't lose in the second round 2 years in a row.

Deron Williams shoots too much!!!

Deron Williams took 1117 attempts from the field and played all 82 games and shot 52% from the field. CP3 took 1291 attempts from the field and played in only 80 games and shot 48%!!! It looks as if Chris Paul takes way too many shots. Also, D Will averages about 11 assists and Paul averages around 12 assists. Not that big of a difference.

I hate it when people make up stuff and have very misinformed opinions.

Deron Williams is a better defender than Paul and shoots a much better percentage from the field and from the three point line. And by the way, he DOMINATES Chris Paul in head-to-head matchups.

Paul
Wins 1
PPG 13.8
FG Pct. 37.9
APG 8.1

Williams
Wins 7
PPG 17.4
FG Pct. 57.3
APG 6.1

You are acting as if Ronnie Brewer is a nobody. The guy averaged 12 PPG on 56% from the field. Posey averaged 7 PPG on 41% from the field. Ummm. This is way closer than you think.

I can accept Peja and AK47 being equal. Even though, AK47 averages 11 PPG on 51% shooting and Peja averages 16 PPG on 44% shooting. BTW, AK47 is a much much much better defender.

Boozer is a better player.

Also, Okur isn't too bad himself. Okur averaged 15 PPG and 8 RPG.

But the most important thing you left out is.

Utah Bench>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NO bench

Utah is a more complete and better team with more experience.

Vinny642
07-17-2008, 03:04 AM
Don't make me rip this post.

Jazz made it to the WESTERN CONFERENCE FINALS two years ago and they lost. Then last year they lost to the West Champions in the second round. They didn't lose in the second round 2 years in a row.

Deron Williams shoots too much!!!

Deron Williams took 1117 attempts from the field and played all 82 games and shot 52% from the field. CP3 took 1291 attempts from the field and played in only 80 games and shot 48%!!! It looks as if Chris Paul takes way too many shots. Also, D Will averages about 11 assists and Paul averages around 12 assists. Not that big of a difference.

I hate it when people make up stuff and have very misinformed opinions.

Deron Williams is a better defender than Paul and shoots a much better percentage from the field and from the three point line. And by the way, he DOMINATES Chris Paul in head-to-head matchups.

Paul
Wins 1
PPG 13.8
FG Pct. 37.9
APG 8.1

Williams
Wins 7
PPG 17.4
FG Pct. 57.3
APG 6.1

You are acting as if Ronnie Brewer is a nobody. The guy averaged 12 PPG on 56% from the field. Posey averaged 7 PPG on 41% from the field. Ummm. This is way closer than you think.

I can accept Peja and AK47 being equal. Even though, AK47 averages 11 PPG on 51% shooting and Peja averages 16 PPG on 44% shooting. BTW, AK47 is a much much much better defender.

Boozer is a better player.

Also, Okur isn't too bad himself. Okur averaged 15 PPG and 8 RPG.

But the most important thing you left out is.

Utah Bench>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>NO bench

Utah is a more complete and better team with more experience.

Lets get into benches....
Pargo> Ronnie Price
Mo Pete> Korver
Wright= Harpring
Ely< Millslap
Armstrong> Collins
o0o yea there is that jazz bench. Real good

ARMIN12NBA
07-17-2008, 03:28 AM
Lets get into benches....
Pargo> Ronnie Price
Mo Pete> Korver
Wright= Harpring
Ely< Millslap
Armstrong> Collins
o0o yea there is that jazz bench. Real good

WOW!!! Again with the ignorance.

Pargo is better than Price. I'll give you that.

BUT HOW IS MO PETE BETTER THAN KYLE KORVER!!!

Kyle Korver averages more points, assists, blocks, and a better FG% than Mo Pete in LESS MINUTES.

Korver> Petersn

Harpring is much better than Julian Wright. Are you kidding me?

Harpring averaged 8 PPG to Wrights 3 PPG. Plus, Harpring averaged more steals, rebounds, and assists (although, Wright has tremendous upside, but as of now Harpring is better).

Harpring> Wright

Millsap is better than Ely.

Armstrong and Collins are both insignificant. Anyways, Millsap usually backs up at center and he is much better than Armstrong. If you look deeper though, the Hornets have nobody else. The Jazz also have CJ Miles who averages 5 PPG.

The Jazz bench is much better and deeper.

BTW, why didn't you respond to the fact that I proved CP3 takes way more shots than D Will? Also, why did you not explain the fact that Deron dominates in head-to-head matchups?

DreamShaker
07-17-2008, 04:00 AM
The Hornets CAN...as in they have a chance....if Julian Wright makes some strides this year and they resign Pargo and maybe add another piece they have a solid bench....Posey is a nice pick-up that will improve thier defense and 3-point shooting and he is a winner....the Jazz, Lakers, Hornets, and Spurs are all legit contenders next year....I can't get on the bandwagon of teams who didn't make it out of the first round last year and say they are gonna win it all....even though I hope the Rockets do....I just cannot make that bold of statement....

AllTheWay
07-17-2008, 04:03 AM
Can and will are two very differnt things

Vinny642
07-17-2008, 05:14 AM
WOW!!! Again with the ignorance.

Pargo is better than Price. I'll give you that.

BUT HOW IS MO PETE BETTER THAN KYLE KORVER!!!

Kyle Korver averages more points, assists, blocks, and a better FG% than Mo Pete in LESS MINUTES.

Korver> Petersn

Harpring is much better than Julian Wright. Are you kidding me?

Harpring averaged 8 PPG to Wrights 3 PPG. Plus, Harpring averaged more steals, rebounds, and assists (although, Wright has tremendous upside, but as of now Harpring is better).

Harpring> Wright

Millsap is better than Ely.

Armstrong and Collins are both insignificant. Anyways, Millsap usually backs up at center and he is much better than Armstrong. If you look deeper though, the Hornets have nobody else. The Jazz also have CJ Miles who averages 5 PPG.

The Jazz bench is much better and deeper.

BTW, why didn't you respond to the fact that I proved CP3 takes way more shots than D Will? Also, why did you not explain the fact that Deron dominates in head-to-head matchups?

D Will doesnt domnate in head to head, his defense is whack and the refs give him anything he wants. I never said paul doesnt take shots i said deron takes too many because he doesnt have as many assists as paul gets. Pauls is faster quicker, better driver, and better or about the same passer. WTF does Williams got size and shooting. D Will should be averaging more assists if the jazz r so good...Mo Pete craps on Korver, THE ONLY THING KORVER DOES IS SHOOT. Mo Pete is stronger and plays better defense then Korver. Ignorant Jazz fans.
Im not saying D Will sucks im just saying he is 2 compared to Paul. Also im saying the Hornets are plenty deep.A decent backup big man would help but we dont got one. but so dont the jazz, spurs, or lakers.
Mihm= Not really, Oberto= Ehhh Millsap= decent, Armstrong= Ehhh
Armostrong has time to improve because he's young and Wright is gonna be such a big talent this year so consider him DEEP

Vinny642
07-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Also Wright played like 7 Min per game or something like that

ridere46
07-17-2008, 05:19 AM
good team but i have to give the edge to the lakers. there's a lot good teams in the west. who knows what team will come out of it or more accurately, what order...

nyyfan4life
07-17-2008, 05:30 AM

Possible Lineup
PG CP3
SG Posey
SF Peja
PF West
C Chandler

I dont think Posey will be the starter at SG. He will likely come of the bench. They have to hope that Peja stays healthy though because that allows the defenders to keep at bay when Paul is maneuvering in and out of the paint.

_Sn1P3r_
07-17-2008, 09:53 AM
The Hornets have a chance. I have them going 2nd in the West behing Lakers.

SHONIE
07-17-2008, 10:11 AM
lol @ ab17

JordansBulls
07-17-2008, 10:46 AM
I dont think Posey will be the starter at SG. He will likely come of the bench. They have to hope that Peja stays healthy though because that allows the defenders to keep at bay when Paul is maneuvering in and out of the paint.

He has to start at SG because the Hornets need his defense on the perimeter. Bonzi can come off the bench along with Mo Pete for offense.

Bosh=nextKG
07-17-2008, 10:58 AM

Pg Paul/Mike
SF Peja/Posey
PF West/Wright
C Tyson/Ely

Dude ur kinda the one being dumb. Peja can play the 2 and still not guard those superstars. It's called switching who you play on defense. Kinda like how bruce bowen is a 3 but he plays the best sf or sg on the other team. The sg on one team can guard the sf on the opposing team.

P.S. Also why is everyone saying that the Jazz are soo good? There's no way they are better than the hornets.

king4day
07-17-2008, 11:00 AM
If Bynum can help LA defend the pick n roll better than I say LA.
Otherwise, another year wiser, the Hornets could even be the favs to win it all.
With the East being deeper, the West will not be the only conference beating the hell out of each other leading to longer series.

marques724
07-17-2008, 11:08 AM
Of course they can win it. I think they are the second best team behind LA

zambo4president
07-17-2008, 11:18 AM
there not going to won the west

CelticsD#1
07-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Theyre going to tough but i sense something is going to go wrong with that core

I completelly agree. There starting five in a championship game versus the Celtics is nothing. The Lakers will have the best chance of beating Boston in a finals.

AgentViet
07-17-2008, 11:28 AM
Yes, I actually think they will win the West next year.

mamba24
07-17-2008, 11:34 AM

peja is a three... though if the lakers played NO in the western conference finals i would love to watch peja or posey try to guard kobe... too big, too old, too slow... posey is not a starter. he'll come off the bench.

lakers4sho
07-17-2008, 11:52 AM
D Will doesnt domnate in head to head, his defense is whack and the refs give him anything he wants. I never said paul doesnt take shots i said deron takes too many because he doesnt have as many assists as paul gets. Pauls is faster quicker, better driver, and better or about the same passer. WTF does Williams got size and shooting. D Will should be averaging more assists if the jazz r so good...Mo Pete craps on Korver, THE ONLY THING KORVER DOES IS SHOOT. Mo Pete is stronger and plays better defense then Korver. Ignorant Jazz fans.
Im not saying D Will sucks im just saying he is 2 compared to Paul. Also im saying the Hornets are plenty deep.A decent backup big man would help but we dont got one. but so dont the jazz, spurs, or lakers.
Armostrong has time to improve because he's young and Wright is gonna be such a big talent this year so consider him DEEP

:laugh:

Haha that's why Kobe burned him with 81 points

chicagowhitesox
07-17-2008, 12:07 PM
That's a very good lineup, but not a great lineup. They won't be the best team in the west.

Cadarn
07-17-2008, 12:22 PM
lakers won't even make the wcf next season.

LakersOrNothing
07-17-2008, 12:25 PM
I believe each and every team is capable of taking its respected Conference Crown.

There is really no telling on who will come out the West. This coming year we have a new look Clippers, and a possibly better Portland with the return of Oden. Who knows? I'm not even going to kid myself and admit that Lakers will return to the finals because of the competition the Western teams have to deal with. As it stands right now, I believe Hornets, Lakers, Jazz, Suns, Spurs (it's a ODD year next yr, so lets see if Spurs continue their odd yr championship winnings), will probably represent the Western... and I don't know if I should even mention Rockets because they are so unpredictable with the amount of injuries they suffer each year before or during the Playoffs. Dallas has been slipping off the Western side ever since their 2007 run. If J. Kidd doesn't figure a way to work in the system with Dirk then they will be back where they were... new coach, and whatnot... Let see how that pans out? Let’s hope I’m wrong, I’d hate to be negative towards good teams, but it's my opinion.

There's not much to say about the East. It's pretty obvious who will be the top 3-4 teams fighting for a spot in the finals, as opposed, to the Western.

Vidball
07-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Yeah, Lakers will be much worse next season :D

Dream on Norwalk :)

Btw...like I said a couple pages back--Pargo agreed to terms with the Bucks. Stop bringing him up as a N.O. bench player.

lakers4sho
07-17-2008, 12:34 PM
Yeah, Lakers will be much worse next season :D

Dream on Norwalk :)

Btw...like I said a couple pages back--Pargo agreed to terms with the Bucks. Stop bringing him up as a N.O. bench player.

link please? Because I read it was Tyronne Lue who is about the sign with the Bucks? Or did the Bucks sign both of them?

fabian11593
07-17-2008, 01:10 PM
The Hornets are definetly going to be tough. But the Lakers are going to take the Western Conference, and if they get Artest, it's definetly over.

Dirty Dirk41
07-17-2008, 02:35 PM
How Can You say No??? I believe the West is up for grabs between Hornets, Lakers, and Spurs. Anyone of them can win, and will.

lakers4sho
07-17-2008, 02:38 PM
How Can You say No??? I believe the West is up for grabs between Hornets, Lakers, and Spurs. Anyone of them can win, and will.

Add Utah to that list.

JordansBulls
07-17-2008, 02:42 PM
Add Utah to that list.

they need a better SG.

lakers4sho
07-17-2008, 02:47 PM
they need a better SG.

But that's a lesser of a problem that the Hornet's lack of depth.

t-mac1nukka
07-17-2008, 05:36 PM
theyll finish 3rd

t-mac1nukka
07-17-2008, 05:37 PM

spurs are on the downside!! they will finish no better than 4th best record.

Vinny642
07-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Pargo Is Still Un-signed The Bucks Got Tyron Lue Idk Y But They Did

ARMIN12NBA
07-17-2008, 08:17 PM

LOL. I am not a Jazz fan...I hate the Jazz. I am actually a Lakers fan. But I have an unbiased opinion on this and this simply says it ALL:

Head to Head stats

Paul
Wins 1
PPG 13.8
FG Pct. 37.9
APG 8.1

Williams
Wins 7
PPG 17.4
FG Pct. 57.3
APG 6.1

Deron Williams dominates (7-1) and Paul may have 2 more assists, but he hurts his team with that lousy FG% of 37 while Williams has a 57 FG%. Also Williams averaged 4 more points so that basically nullifies the 2 assists.

ADV.- Williams.

Note: I am a Lakers fan...Not a Jazz fan even though it may seem like it...lol.

Pierce#34
07-29-2008, 12:20 AM
Hornets will win the west

#1Mavericksfan
07-29-2008, 12:27 AM
No!...there gonna be good but I don't see them wining the west.

Westbrook36
07-29-2008, 12:29 AM

Ab17? Thing called Tyson Chandler and David West? Hes not a Threat. The thing the Hornets have is CP3 Who is a Mega SuperStar with Kobe

Nugget153
07-29-2008, 02:02 AM
They'll win the west..they'll be the 1 seed from the start and will take it all the way through the playoffs

I'm telling you. CP3 is scary good..he's everything a PG can be AND more. I'd take him over Kobe anyday. I'm soooo jealous of the Hornets for what they've done. I'm not jealous of the Western Conference Champions..so thats saying something IMO

_Sn1P3r_
07-29-2008, 10:23 AM
Hornets have a great chance of winning it.

Er1c
07-29-2008, 10:41 AM
i dont think posey is going to be the starting 2 spot. peterson will prob still be in that position. posey will be peja's backup