PDA

View Full Version : Pablo Ozuna released

soxnfins
07-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Ozuna officially becomes a free agent
By Mark Gonzales, 10:54 a.m.

Infielder Pablo Ozuna was released Wednesday by the White Sox after he cleared waivers and rejected an outright assignment to Triple-A Charlotte.

Ozuna was designated for assignment last week. Toronto had inquired about Ozuna to a staff member during the Sox's series in Kansas City.

Closer Bobby Jenks is scheduled to pitch Wednesday night on a minor league rehabilitation assignment for Double-A Birmingham when the Barons visit Montgomery.

---chicagosports.com and mlbtraderumros.com

I liked Pablo... Was a nice guy to have on the team.

whitesoxbowler
07-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Thats ok...as long as we still have Uribe on the team:rolleyes:

whitesoxfan83
07-17-2008, 02:07 AM
dont like this move. now we got 2 OF on the bench and a depth problem.

kingbrentg
07-17-2008, 07:43 AM
Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb (to the Joseph Smith tune from South Park).

DrewSox
07-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Uribe over Ozuna?! That is just stupid!

FUKudomeYOMOMMA
07-17-2008, 12:03 PM
i liked pablo, he was our new willy taveras.. hopefully uribe is gone too pretty soon... we could bring up a minor leaguer for infield work (i would say richar, but he's doing pretty crappy) alexi could be the usual starter somwhere while platooning with richar

SOX VICTORY
07-17-2008, 12:23 PM
dont like this move. now we got 2 OF on the bench and a depth problem.

Yeah this is one of the areas that ticks me off. Grudgingly i can accept Uribe surviving as a bench player, he still gives us a decent glove. The 2 OF's to me is just another example of KW being stubborn when it comes to using and developing Fields. This kid has been touted as a fine athlete and a top prospect, how after his showing last year can you let that talent be wasted in the minors. He needed at the least to continue in what could have been or arguably should be a backup role at 3B,LF,1B, and DH instead KW chooses to let him languish in the minors and not even consider developing him further by playing other positions. What a waste.

ugottabjoshinme
07-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Yeah this is one of the areas that ticks me off. Grudgingly i can accept Uribe surviving as a bench player, he still gives us a decent glove. The 2 OF's to me is just another example of KW being stubborn when it comes to using and developing Fields. This kid has been touted as a fine athlete and a top prospect, how after his showing last year can you let that talent be wasted in the minors. He needed at the least to continue in what could have been or arguably should be a backup role at 3B,LF,1B, and DH instead KW chooses to let him languish in the minors and not even consider developing him further by playing other positions. What a waste.

No kidding....fields should be up

kwstriker299
07-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Wrong. Its better for Fields to play fields full time and get consisten AB's then it is for him to rot on the bench and occaisioaly give Joe a day off at 3B

sager729
07-17-2008, 01:22 PM
I don't really care about Ozuna being released. All he was good for was speed. And even that hasn't been the same since he broke his leg.

whitesoxfan83
07-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Wrong. Its better for Fields to play fields full time and get consisten AB's then it is for him to rot on the bench and occaisioaly give Joe a day off at 3B

unlesss we played him over konerko......(or crede):whistle:

kwstriker299
07-17-2008, 01:52 PM
konerko will produce more in the 2nd half than Fields gauenteed...

whitesoxfan83
07-17-2008, 02:05 PM

i smell a sig bet. if ur willing. i just dont see it. if fields finally stays healthy for the 2nd half i think he will do in AAA what pauly doesnt in the mlb. i think paulies finished and have since last year.

ugottabjoshinme
07-17-2008, 02:10 PM
i smell a sig bet. if ur willing. i just dont see it. if fields finally stays healthy for the 2nd half i think he will do in AAA what pauly doesnt in the mlb. i think paulies finished and have since last year.

Thats what I thought, has fields played many games at 1st base??

whitesoxfan83
07-17-2008, 02:20 PM
Thats what I thought, has fields played many games at 1st base??

sadly only once in 2005 in AA.

so yea its not like we could bring him up and tell him to play first, but i think maybe we could slowly move him into the role and then possibly platoon thome and konerko at DH.

to be honest though, i think id rather just bring up eldred for now since crede probably wont be back. i think the sox would rather just keep fields where hes likely to end up.

as much as i like fields i dont think brad eldred has ever been given a fair shake, if we were gonna replace paulie id want it to be with him.

eldreds career SLG% in the minor leagues, .547

id like to see him up to atleast see what he could do, thats if we were looking for a quick replacement tho, which i dont see the sox doing period.

http://minors.baseball-reference.com/players.cgi?pid=4346

GrinderBall41
07-17-2008, 02:41 PM
Eldred? Yuck. His career MiLB OBP is .326...

Konerko's OBP in this, his worst year so far, is .320.

Eldred would get torn up in the majors he obviously has no plate discipline.

whitesoxfan83
07-17-2008, 02:46 PM
Eldred? Yuck. His career MiLB OBP is .326...

Konerko's OBP in this, his worst year so far, is .320.

Eldred would get torn up in the majors he obviously has no plate discipline.

his OBP is counteracted with the fact he has an amazing power bat, his SLG is off the charts. i know his OBP isnt very good but the man can hit. and if paulie continues hitting the way he is i think it be worth giving eldred a shot.

sure his OBP is bad, even this year. (.332) but his SLG career is .547 (konerkos career higher is .551)

plus eldred is SLG .620 this season, .620! im not saying right now bring him up, but if both continue on the paths there on i dont see a problem in atleast seeing what eldred offers.

Swish-Cab-Ob
07-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Who wants to bet he goes to the Indians or Twins...

Sox Appeal
07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
Who wants to bet he goes to the Indians or Twins...

It wouldn't surprise me if he goes to Minnesota. They've been looking for another middle infielder, and Ozuna would fit in for them perfectly.

blams
07-17-2008, 03:31 PM
ummm, uribe has power and gets hot. he is a very good fielder too.
his average and patience are terrible.

pablo is a one dimensional weak hitter who hits for decent average, only in a part time role, not to mention he is a terrible fielder at every position he plays.

WhiteSoxChef
07-17-2008, 06:13 PM

You know what... I've had this horrible feeling about Paulie since last year and it's getting worse... between him and Thome, they just can't come through in the clutch... example... just last week... SOX comming back from behind in the 9th bases loaded with paulie up to bat........ K... a big fat K...
I wish we could trade him... even if we could, his value is about as much as a case of lettuce...... where's some salad dressing when i need some

whitesoxfan83
07-17-2008, 06:15 PM
You know what... I've had this horrible feeling about Paulie since last year and it's getting worse... between him and Thome, they just can't come through in the clutch... example... just last week... SOX comming back from behind in the 9th bases loaded with paulie up to bat........ K... a big fat K...
I wish we could trade him... even if we could, his value is about as much as a case of lettuce...... where's some salad dressing when i need some

not to mention he coughed up the last at bat in both losses to texas

altho he did help us win the one we did

his error in KC also opened up the floodgates for that 4 run inning.

paulies turning into a sad story. i hope he hits in the 2nd half and becomes a postseason hero

Illini Tim
07-17-2008, 09:05 PM

SHALOUNGE!!!

iDaBears85
07-18-2008, 02:15 AM
Fields is DH'ing almost every night in AAA so he really isn't getting any fielding at all

WhiteSoxChef
07-18-2008, 07:14 AM
not to mention he coughed up the last at bat in both losses to texas

altho he did help us win the one we did

his error in KC also opened up the floodgates for that 4 run inning.

paulies turning into a sad story. i hope he hits in the 2nd half and becomes a postseason hero

well... we've all seen him hit (or not really hit) for the past season and a half, do you really think that he's gonna turn it around? I think it's time to stop wondering and wishing and waiting and get somebody else who can help us down the stretch. AND that is not an easy thing to say knowing how much he has done in the past and how myself and other loyal sox fans love him. he is in one hell of a slump which has lasted too long. i respect the guy, but he's not gettin the job done.

SOX VICTORY
07-18-2008, 10:59 AM
well... we've all seen him hit (or not really hit) for the past season and a half, do you really think that he's gonna turn it around? I think it's time to stop wondering and wishing and waiting and get somebody else who can help us down the stretch. AND that is not an easy thing to say knowing how much he has done in the past and how myself and other loyal sox fans love him. he is in one hell of a slump which has lasted too long. i respect the guy, but he's not gettin the job done.

Your echoing the sentiments of most fans, but it's become almost painful to watch him struggle out there and with this team having a clear shot as a legitimate contender somethings gotta give.

whitesoxfan83
07-18-2008, 12:54 PM
as much as i dont like konerko (ive been here since december bashing him) hes still a better play over anderson, and probably wise (altho we dont know that for sure wise has been great for us) either way he deserves the benefit of the doubt. except heres the dilemma, how long can we let this go on until we decide something has to be done, and if that point comes what are the options?

1) move swisher to first, wise to CF. platoon pk and thome at DH depending on R or L? see if wise can continue his good play

2) call up eldred, i know his OBP isnt good but his SLG is legendary. atleast see what he can do right? it couldnt be any worse than konerko at that point

3) same as 1 but play anderson instead of wise

4) move swisher to first, alexei to CF, and uribe to 2nd. (no matter how bad paulie ever is i cant see even ozzie justifying playing uribe over him)

5) trade him (i wish we should have done this in the offseason before he got his no trade clause)

6) move swisher to first, sign kenny lofton or call up jerry owens. both are giant risks both have nice upside. owens could leadoff (u know ozzie would put him there cause of his speed, the same reason wise has leadoff when he plays) or get the veteran whose been in tight pennant races before and in the postseason (who happens to be looking for his first WS ring still)

7) see if thome could play first and DH bonds, or if bonds could play first. (this would never happen in 1million years, id bet all the money i had bonds isnt ending up in a white sox uni, but if we asked him. who knows, thing is we'll never ask)

all of these plans of course would be a last resort, none of them really give us a better chance to win or anything. but if paulie goes into the middle of august and is still hitting like this. or if we fall out of first and were looking for a patsy, ideas have to be thought of for konerko.