PDA

View Full Version : Dallas Offered Stackhouse for Artest

KingStunna
07-17-2008, 12:12 AM
According to a source close to Dallas, the Mavs have offered Brandon Bass and Jerry Stackhouse for the Kings small forward. The chatter was first reported by Hoopsworld here, but I've independently confirmed the pieces in the offer. Stackhouse has a contract that's almost identical to Artest's ($7.4 million, expiring for Artest; $7 million expiring for Stackhouse), and Bass is a young beast of a big man who comes at the bargain price of $826,269 (also expiring). I can't even come close to seeing Kings basketball president Geoff Petrie doing this deal, not unless Josh Howard is involved.

And from what I'm told, that's not going to happen. As the Mavs see it, the perceived risk of taking Artest is acceptable so long as the price of getting him is Bass and Stackhouse. Lose Howard to get Artest, though, and the gamble is too great. As is always the case, though, things could change.

As far as the continuing frontrunners in the Artest sweepstakes, I've been told by a source close to the Lakers that there are no ongoing discussions. The next relevant date remains Friday, when the Lakers' deadline to match Ronny Turiaf's offer sheet passes. It's at that point the Lakers may decide to take on Kenny Thomas to fill Turiaf's old role or quite possibly engage a third team in the deal so as to avoid his contract.

http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/013902.html

That would be lame..

Catfish1314
07-17-2008, 12:21 AM
Dallas can go **** themselves. As much as I like Brandon Bass, he's nowhere near worth Ron Artest. And Jerry Stackhouse is too ancient. We could keep Artest and his much greater talent and just let him expire at the end of the season.

I'm almost insulted.

mrgerbik
07-17-2008, 12:32 AM
What you don't like our opening offer? haha

I'm just glad we didn't start by offering the entire farm! Ill call Cuban and see if we can do a lil better..

Randy West
07-17-2008, 12:38 AM
After an offer like that I would refuse to take calls from Cuban

end of story

KingStunna
07-17-2008, 12:38 AM
I feel insulted too, that deal blows big time. At least there is Marion rumors still floating around I guess..

Jonathan2323
07-17-2008, 12:52 AM
Horrible deal why would the kings want and old *** veteran

jmtapia
07-17-2008, 01:00 AM
hey dont blame the Mavs.....its worth giving it a try...lol

NDP1981
07-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Nice try!

RocketsRule
07-17-2008, 01:26 AM
Wow, just wow. As good as Bass is, that was just horrible. Stackhouse is a piece of **** now. I'd want Howard in any deal, and even that's a huge if.

CaptainCool79
07-17-2008, 01:28 AM
yuck. The only deal i hate worse than this one is the LA deal for odom. and thats just because i'd rather trade artest for darko milicic than help the Lakers.

mrgerbik
07-17-2008, 01:41 AM
Horrible deal why would the kings want and old *** veteran

Because he is EXPIRING.

I am a MAvs fan and I agree the deal is weak but are ya'll rebuilding or not? I hope we don't have to give up JHO for Artest but we need a better defender, the problem is we still wont have a starting SG. JET is too small and Green is too GREEN..

Beno7500
07-17-2008, 01:48 AM
I'm insulted.

We are not Memphis!!!!

RocketsRule
07-17-2008, 01:50 AM
I'm insulted.

We are not Memphis!!!!

:laugh2:

mrgerbik
07-17-2008, 01:55 AM
So basically Donnie Nelson is Rick Fox and the Maloofs are Doug christy in your avatar.?.:)

Kings Faithful
07-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Teams are going to try to screw us like this because Artest is angry and it lowers his value. We don't have to trade him and i think Petrie and the Maloofs need to keep that in mind. I don't want to trade him for less than his value.

wvphil
07-17-2008, 02:20 AM
You always try to screw the other team, at least on the initial offer :D

kingkenji
07-17-2008, 02:36 AM
That Is The Sickiest Trade Rumors I've Ever Read!!!

Catfish1314
07-17-2008, 02:48 AM
This offer is so bad it's unprofessional for the Mavericks front office to even pick up the phone and call Petrie. It's insulting to his intelligence. Why part with Artest and his expiring for an old piece of junk's expiring and a young player (who if I'm not mistaken is not even THAT young)?

DerekRE_3
07-17-2008, 02:51 AM
Well the Clippers did just get Marcus Camby for a 2nd round pick.

But I agree 100%. Stupid deal to even propose. We should offer K9 and Shareef for Dirk as a counter offer.

BigEric
07-17-2008, 03:34 AM
Not only am I insulted by this, but we really do not need to blow up our team to rebuild, we just need to get rid of a few pieces and sign 1-2 more people, and we aren't far from the playoffs. People say how the West is really crazy, that's because team 1-8 are closer than teams 8-9. I don't see the greatness in DAL and DEN. GS and LAC are both adding new pieces, but their losses overtake their additions. I really don't think Portland is ready, too many question marks. I really think we are a solid team that can surprise, and I know if Petrie moves someone, it's for the better. It should be good!

Beno7500
07-17-2008, 03:38 AM
The only reason they got rif of Camby was to free cap space and he was old.

DerekRE_3
07-17-2008, 03:58 AM
Camby's contract wasn't that bad. 2 years left for 17 mil. They could have gotten more than a 2nd round pick. Nuggets are ********. Now they definitely have no D.

Er1c
07-17-2008, 06:02 AM
haha jerry for artest LOL

IndyFan
07-17-2008, 08:47 AM
it is the silly season for sure. give the kings FO a chance to sift thru the offers. some like this dallas offer just show the teams are not really interested. someone will start to make offers that are actual serious offers. then go from there. the process just takes a while.

been there. done that. have the T-shirt. just don't let it get you down.

:)

mrgerbik
07-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Teams are going to try to screw us like this because Artest is angry and it lowers his value. We don't have to trade him and i think Petrie and the Maloofs need to keep that in mind. I don't want to trade him for less than his value.

You are right you don't have to trade him but he could demand a trade sit out and cause problems. Just like if the Mavs deal JHO they aren't getting equal value now after all the bs. He is lowering his value for sure and without getting ripped SAC needs to trade him.

How about a trade for Artest/Garcia/Thomas?

7.4 million - Artest - wants to be traded
1.9 million - Garcia - a decent big swingman
8.5 million - Thomas - bad contract

7.0 million - Stackhouse expiring
1.9 million - Jones expiring
9.9 million - Howard Virtually same stat line -steals /+rebs

I wanted to swap Terry for Howard, but the Kings aren't going to take on JET's contract in addition to Beno's, plus I don't want to lose JET's perimeter shooting. We would keep Bass as well.

Beno/Martin/Howard in addition to their young players, Thompson/Hawes/Williams/Ewing/etc. is definitely something that the Maloofs can work with in Sacramento for the time being. They get rid of one horribly bad contract to swallow another bad contract in Stackhouse's, but his is 2 million less per year.

noturnormalhero
07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
wow. what a weak offer. like how does he expect the kings to be there like "oh yea! for sure. let's make it happen". the artest for marion trade is prolly the most common sense rumor i've heard. even though i cant picture marion in a kings uniform at all lol. but who knows. still have until feb. for the trading deadline to end :(

JR8536
07-17-2008, 12:04 PM
Stupid Trade! If We Trade Artest For Stackhouse I Would Be Mad! Thats A Dumb *** Trade!

Beno7500
07-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Why would we give up Garcia? He is part of our future.

DerekRE_3
07-17-2008, 02:36 PM
People forget that Garcia is already 27 years old. He doesn't have that much more upside.

Vidball
07-17-2008, 02:58 PM
Soon the Maloofs will realize the Lakers are the only team truly willing to deal...I think it's gonna end up being Odom for Artest/Moore.

DerekRE_3
07-17-2008, 03:32 PM
I don't think Petrie will trade Moore. He will insist on it being Kenny Thomas. Moore's contract is only guaranteed for one more season. The 3rd year is not guaranteed at all.

If the Lakers agree to trade Odom and take K9's contract, it will be a done deal.

Fargus
07-17-2008, 04:10 PM
why is everyone focusing on Stackhouse? Hes just being thrown in as an expiring contract. Seems like the main piece of the trade would be Bass's potential upside. I agree, its nowhere near equal value, but do you really expect equal value? Even if the Marion talk was true, that wouldn't be equal value for Artest....

Catfish1314
07-17-2008, 04:41 PM
why is everyone focusing on Stackhouse? Hes just being thrown in as an expiring contract. Seems like the main piece of the trade would be Bass's potential upside. I agree, its nowhere near equal value, but do you really expect equal value? Even if the Marion talk was true, that wouldn't be equal value for Artest....

Because it's like trading Brandon Bass for Ron Artest. That's essentially what they're offering. Stackhouse has an expiring contract, yes. But he and Artest's contracts are almost identical and Artest's is also expiring. Artest is three times the talent of Stackhouse and Bass put together. So we could just keep Artest and let him expire if that's what Dallas is going to offer.

And talentwise, no Marion is not equal value for Artest. But it's very close and easily the closest we could get. He's a better fit for this team and has a much larger expiring contract than Artest.

Randy West
07-17-2008, 05:58 PM
The more I think about it we should offer the gatorade hander guy and our head of security to the Mavs for Dirk and Kidd

Thats about what the offer they threw at us equated to imo

WntAbCEO
07-17-2008, 07:11 PM
Wow

mrgerbik
07-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Artest is three times the talent of Stackhouse and Bass put together. So we could just keep Artest and let him expire if that's what Dallas is going to offer.

And talentwise, no Marion is not equal value for Artest. But it's very close and easily the closest we could get. He's a better fit for this team and has a much larger expiring contract than Artest.

Severely overrating Artest here.... He is solid but he is a headcase and SAC will not get =value, He is making sure of that. The sooner the better as far as dealing him. He could screw things up further if he doesn't get a trade, so get rid of him before it gets worse.

Sac is NOT a contender and won't make the playoffs so I think stockpiling Expirings is the best IMO... That trade offer from Dallas wasn't a good one but if someone can take the HORRID contract of KThomas and hand over a few expirings that would be cool.

G-Funk
07-18-2008, 12:07 AM
Makes the Odom offer look super.

Kyle N.
07-18-2008, 01:30 AM
I think Cuban thought Artest was with Memphis, or maybe he was trying to see if Petrie would laugh. Artest for Marion is the only good trade idea so far.

Vidball
07-18-2008, 02:38 AM
^^Why would MIA do that? Beasley will be a SF in the NBA and MIA wants cap space to go after Boozer next offseason. MIA won't take back any bad contracts at all.

Vidball
07-18-2008, 02:39 AM
Btw...love the sig G-Funk

DerekRE_3
07-18-2008, 02:40 AM
If you guys want that sig to come true...you gotta give up Odom and take on K9's contract.

I don't know if the Lakers would be willing to do it.

sfgip10
07-18-2008, 02:45 AM
I'm insulted by this trade, this is without a doubt the worst offer for Artest i've seen. We're basisicly trading Artest for Bass. Why would we do this? i know, i know cap space but c'mon Cuban, at least try.

SouljahPhil...
07-18-2008, 12:25 PM
if you add shelden or moore wid k9 and artest I think the lakers will bite...

Catfish1314
07-18-2008, 03:12 PM
if you add shelden or moore wid k9 and artest I think the lakers will bite...

This isn't Chris Wallace you're dealing with here. You're winning the deal as it is, take it or leave it.

Catfish1314
07-18-2008, 03:18 PM
The Sacramento Kings have expressed interest in acquiring Dallas Mavericks forward/guard Josh Howard in a trade for All-Star forward Ron Artest, but the Mavericks aren't interested, according to an NBA source.

The Mavericks reportedly were willing to offer forward Brandon Bass and guard Jerry Stackhouse for Artest. But the Kings wanted Howard included in the deal, halting the discussions.

Because the Mavericks won't budge on Howard, a potential trade for Artest is all but dead, the source said.

-Dallas Morning News

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/071808dnspomavslede.67662c0f.html

RocketsRule
07-18-2008, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I saw that as well.

Looks like they're won't be a trade with Dallas then... Making the Lakers' offer more and more attractive. Still there's Charlotte, Phoenix, and others' that were interested. So who knows? Anything can happen, right? :shrug:

Catfish1314
07-18-2008, 04:01 PM
Don't how good of an offer the Cats or the Suns could make. The Bobcats were supposedly willing to part with Gerald Wallace for TJ Ford, but I'm not sure how much truth there was to that. Suns could offer Barbosa and fillers.

But those are still unlikely. I still think we go with the Lakers' offer if they're willing to take Kenny off our hands.

49er-4-Life
07-18-2008, 06:07 PM
How about something

rockets get-Artest and Douby

Kings get- Shane Battier and Aaron Brooks

Shane Battier is a lock down defender who can shoot the three ball and Aaron brooks is a young point guard that the kings were actually looking to draft when he came out

Kings Faithful
07-18-2008, 06:19 PM
I wouldn't do that deal. Aaron Brooks is a good back up but Battier and isnt as good as Artest offensively or defensively.

G-Funk
07-18-2008, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't do that deal. Aaron Brooks is a good back up but Battier and isnt as good as Artest offensively or defensively.

They won't even fix rebounding issues, I think that it will come down to Miami and Lakers.

Randy West
07-18-2008, 06:56 PM
I wonder when someone is going to offer a turd sandwich for Artest???

I mean the guy is top 10-15 player in the league both ends of the floor and you get crap offers for him

I think even Howard for Artest stinks like crazy

If that is the best offer you get keep him and let him ball like crazy for his contract next season when he hits FA

Or just keep him and see what some contender tries to offer you before the deadline

RocketsRule
07-18-2008, 08:31 PM
Since no ones looking at the Artest thread anymore:

This is the potential compromise. Kenny Thomas out, Shelden Williams and Quincy Douby in. No difference to the Kings in lineup impact, big difference to the Lakers in money.

It's still Ron Artest for Lamar Odom at the bottom line, except the salary-cap ballast has changed and the Lakers, in this version that will undoubtedly be discussed between the teams, if it hasn't been already, get away from Thomas and his $17.3375 million due the next two seasons. For a team paying the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax, as L.A. is, that's actually a $34.675-million hit for Thomas. You can see the hesitation.

Williams is on the books for $3.4 million in 2008-09 and Douby for $1.43, along with Artest's $7.4 to match up under the cap rules to Odom's $14.15 million. Nearly 5 mil combined for a power forward that never plays and a guard that never plays is a bad thing. But Williams and Douby have guaranteed money next season only while Thomas is down for two more and, specifically, $8.775 million in the second one. That's the key.

Taking Artest, Williams and Douby, the Lakers are bringing on $12.23 million ($24.46 including the luxury tax) for 2008-09 and nothing after. Total commitment: $24.46 million.

Taking Artest and Thomas, the Lakers are bringing on $16 million ($32 mil) for 2008-09 and $8.775 ($17.55 mil). Total commitment: $49.55.

Obviously a massive difference.

The numbers change if the Lakers negotiate a buyout that saves a few million or if they trade Williams or Douby with the appeal of expiring deals, but these are the numbers of the moment that will be factored into a Artest-Odom deal. The same goes for the Kings, of course. If they don't trade Thomas, they can attempt a buyout, though nothing says he will be willing to give back money to become a free agent and go somewhere with a chance of playing. And, the Kings can move Williams and / or Douby as expiring contracts.

The point being, compromise deals are available.

Why the Kings would like this: Same as before. They get away from Artest and return to dealing with people of this planet. They get a season with Odom, a gifted, versatile offensive player who would replace Artest as the starting small forward and be able to play power forward. If it becomes a good fit, they have the lead on a new contract when he becomes a free agent next summer. If not, the money comes off the books, just as it would have with Williams, Douby and (perhaps) Artest. No harm done.

Why the Lakers would like this: They get the toughness of Artest without having to take Thomas. They also get a season with Williams and Douby before the pair becomes free agents in 2009. There isn't much to test drive, but those are the No. 5 (Williams) and No. 19 (Douby) picks in 2006, so maybe something's there. One of the L.A. unknowns is whether it would rather have Williams as unproductive youth or the experience of Thomas at power forward. Tough call.

Why the Kings would not like this: It solves the Artest problem, but leaves the Thomas issue unresolved. He may not take a buyout, and it will be much harder to trade him in the future. K9 with Artest works because Artest has a very manageable contract and because teams see Artest as a potential final piece to a long playoff run. Thomas with John Salmons or Francisco Garcia or Mikki Moore doesn't have the same heat, and Thomas with Brad Miller is too much money.

Why the Lakers would not like this: No reason. If they want Artest and have decided on a willingness to part with Odom to get it done, Williams / Douby instead of Thomas is the best possible outcome.

There's a good chance it turns into a stare contest. The Lakers want Artest but draw the line at taking Thomas. The Kings want Odom but insist on Thomas being part of the deal.

Does either side blink?

-SacBee (http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/sports/kings/archives/013938.html#more)

RocketsRule
07-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Yet the Kings continue to insist that the team that ultimately gets Artest will have to take Kenny Thomas' contract as well. NBA front-office sources say the Mavericks were told several days ago, for example, that an offer of bruising power forward Brandon Bass, veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse and $2 million to cover Stackhouse's guarantee in the 2009-10 season would not be enough to reunite Artest with new Mavs coach Rick Carlisle. (Dallas has no interest in a Josh Howard-for-Artest swap in any incarnation.)

The Miami Heat also have liked Artest for some time, but the Heat received the same message from Sacramento that the Lakers got. Unless the Kings budge from their current stance, Miami would have to send over Shawn Marion and absorb Thomas' remaining $16.5 million over the next two seasons to get Artest. Although Thomas' contract wouldn't interfere with the Heat's intent to have cap room to spend in the summer of 2010, it's hard to see the appeal of such a deal for Pat Riley and rookie coach Erik Spoelstra.

Cleveland is another team you can expect to hear linked with Artest, with the Cavaliers possessing numerous options -- Wally Szczerbiak for Artest and Thomas, just to name one -- to join the bidding. It simply depends on how willing the Cavs are to add to their luxury-tax bill. But nothing has happened yet to budge the Lakers from the role of favorites in the Artest sweepstakes, although ESPN.com reported Sunday that -- fond as they are of Artest and confident as they are that they can get the best out of him through Phil Jackson's coaching and Artest's respect for Kobe Bryant -- L.A. is reluctant to part with Lamar Odom in an Artest swap.

Via ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=VegasChatter-080717)

IndyFan
07-18-2008, 09:20 PM
has ron artest burned all his bridges in sacramento? i like lamar odom. but if i was LA, i would have said kenny thomas & LO is a cheap price to pay. personally, i think the kings would be better served by building the team around ron-ron. he is the best player on the team. k-mart included. worst case is he doesn't sign and gets traded at mid-season. the offers then cannot be any worse than the ones now.

:)

49er-4-Life
07-18-2008, 09:30 PM
Honestly i dont see why the kings dont want to sign him to an extension. Hes one of the top sf in the league hes young and he cant flat out play defense. If i wear the kings id sign him for a 5 year deal. K-mart, artest, hawes, thompson and just build around that

birdsanctuary
07-19-2008, 12:34 PM
The Mavs are not out to screw you. The proposal was merely to see the Kings acceptability of Bass. In fact I think the relationship between Sac and Dallas at least at the ownership level is one of mutual respect and friendship. I think the Maloofs are savvy enough to see that Cuban is a successful businessman, a little quirky, but not a bad guy. I think Cuban sees the Maloofs as visionary as well.

Would the Kings do:
Stackhouse (exp. cont) Bass, and Howard
for
Artest, Kenny Thomas, and Francisco Garcia

Because I believe negotiations will eventually get to the point where Dallas lays this deal on the table. Would the Kings FO and/or Fans be satisfied?

Vidball
07-19-2008, 01:13 PM
I think the Lakers will take back K9 IF THEY HAVE TO, but as of now, there are no other serious offers. Unless this becomes a bidding war, there is no real reason to take back K9. SAC could always sit back and do nothing, I'm just not sure the Maloof's want to see Ron-Ron go crazy on them next season.

I guess I don't know the situation well...what do you Kings fans think--If the Maloof's can't find a suitable trade, will they ship out Artest for a crappy offer, or will they take their chances with Artest being unhappy and causing trouble?

DerekRE_3
07-19-2008, 01:37 PM
I think the Lakers will take back K9 IF THEY HAVE TO, but as of now, there are no other serious offers. Unless this becomes a bidding war, there is no real reason to take back K9. SAC could always sit back and do nothing, I'm just not sure the Maloof's want to see Ron-Ron go crazy on them next season.

I guess I don't know the situation well...what do you Kings fans think--If the Maloof's can't find a suitable trade, will they ship out Artest for a crappy offer, or will they take their chances with Artest being unhappy and causing trouble?

That's a great point. Right now the Lakers are competing with...Brandon Bass and Jerry Stackhouse.

ldawg
07-19-2008, 03:47 PM

well Artest kenny thomas is a huge risk for the lakers one i would not take. Artest can walk at year end if traded to LA and all they would be left with is kenny. Why make the trade artest is free next year can sign him then if needed. Artest over odom is not an upgrade in tallent but fit thier need for a true sf. Artest value as a star player is low that why his pay resemble that he is just a risky person.

Catfish1314
07-19-2008, 04:36 PM
well Artest kenny thomas is a huge risk for the lakers one i would not take. Artest can walk at year end if traded to LA and all they would be left with is kenny. Why make the trade artest is free next year can sign him then if needed. Artest over odom is not an upgrade in tallent but fit thier need for a true sf. Artest value as a star player is low that why his pay resemble that he is just a risky person.

The Lakers need Artest more than they need Odom, and really he is an upgrade in talent. Artest brings toughness and great defense, the Lakers two (and possibly only) greatest weaknesses.

And Artest will be a free agent next summer. But he'll also be in his prime and 29. He will be looking for a lucrative contract to lock him up for the peak of his career. All the Lakers can offer is the MLE. If they want Artest, their best option is to trade for him.

Kyle N.
07-21-2008, 02:30 AM
The Mavs are not out to screw you. The proposal was merely to see the Kings acceptability of Bass. In fact I think the relationship between Sac and Dallas at least at the ownership level is one of mutual respect and friendship. I think the Maloofs are savvy enough to see that Cuban is a successful businessman, a little quirky, but not a bad guy. I think Cuban sees the Maloofs as visionary as well.

Would the Kings do:
Stackhouse (exp. cont) Bass, and Howard
for
Artest, Kenny Thomas, and Francisco Garcia

Because I believe negotiations will eventually get to the point where Dallas lays this deal on the table. Would the Kings FO and/or Fans be satisfied?

Ha ha, I like the way you put that about the ownerships. This trade is way more in favor for the Kings because compared to the last one, it would be like trading Kenny and Cisco for Howard. The Mavs aren't going let that happen. They can't be that desperate for Artest. But otherwise, yeah I'd do it. :cheers:

G-Funk
07-21-2008, 06:03 PM
Hopefully the Kings come out and just drop the bomb on the Lakers, Odom for K9 and Artest or stop the calls.