PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Cardinals fan hit by teen driver dies

ruslan898
07-16-2008, 10:01 PM
I know that this happened last week, this is sooo sad.
What can MLB do to prevent further underage drinking? I know that the Phillies decided not to have anymore "College Nights", which were known for their massive amount of drinking. Also, a couple of months ago police raided the tailgators at the stadium and busted about 70 underage drinkers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of two devoted St. Louis Cardinals fans hit by a car Thursday after the Cardinals-Phillies game died yesterday of head trauma at the University of Pennsylvania Hospital. The other remained hospitalized in critical condition.

The women from St. Louis, best friends who taught school together, came to Philadelphia Tuesday to watch the Cardinals play the Phillies on Wednesday and Thursday.

Not long after Thursday afternoon's 4-1 Phillies win, tragedy struck: An 18-year-old driver, allegedly impaired, ran a red light and plowed into both women in a cross walk at Broad and Curtin Streets, not far from Citizens Bank Park, police said.

Cindy Grassi, 43, died yesterday, while Sandra Wacker, 36, remained in intensive care, where doctors were treating her for brain trauma, a broken leg and two dislocated shoulders, a hospital spokesman said.

"I haven't spoken with Sandy yet - they're not letting her talk. They're trying to help her recover. She's still in the intensive-care unit," Gregory Woodruff, her boyfriend, said in a telephone interview from St. Louis.

The driver, Joseph Genovese Jr., of the 3100 block of South Juniper Street, was charged with aggravated assault, driving while under the influence, and related charges. He remains free on $5,000 bail.

The friends were such avid fans that they had flown around the country over the past few years, visiting ballparks in Colorado, Texas and Pittsburgh, among many others, to cheer on their team and to tour the cities where they played, said Woodruff.

"She'd been looking forward to this game the past few months and it was her first time visiting the city," he said of Wacker.

The women had met at the Mark Twain Elementary School in Brentwood, Mo., where they both had taught. Grassi, who was married and had at least one child, had recently retired, while Wacker, who has no children, still teaches fourth grade, Woodruff said.

Woodruff last spoke with Wacker about an hour before the 6:30 p.m. accident, when she told him that they had enjoyed the fireworks display and the games - despite the Phillies victory on Thursday - and were planning to walk around the city to find an interesting place to eat. After deciding on a restaurant, they planned to jog back to the hotel to change their clothes, he said.

"They were probably between walking and jogging," Woodruff said.

Genovese, said in a televised interview on NBC10 that he had not been drunk. "It was a big accident. They ran into the middle of the street as I was coming through the yellow light and I didn't see them," he said on videotape on the doorstep of what appeared to be his home. Family members standing next to him said they were praying for the victims.

In March, Genovese had been charged with possession of marijuana and was awaiting a hearing, police said, adding that charges are pending.

A call placed to his home yesterday reached his mother. She said only that her son was not allowed to talk and that reporters were not allowed to call.

More charges could be filed against Genovese this week due to Grassi's death, police said. "It will have to go through the District Attorney's Office," said Police Sgt. Larry Ritchie.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080714_Visiting_Cardinals_fan_hit_by_teen_driver _dies.html?text=reg&c=y

Poncho_707
07-16-2008, 10:02 PM
:(

Degz
07-16-2008, 10:06 PM
That's horrible. I didnt hear about this... Im surprised it wasnt mentioned on the Phillies board.

Theriot2
07-16-2008, 10:07 PM
WOW this is horrible :(:cry:

PhillyLuver
07-16-2008, 10:19 PM
Damn us Phillies fans...

sharksfan19
07-16-2008, 11:28 PM
sad... RIP

CAIN=FUTURE
07-17-2008, 03:35 AM
Wow. This is why I take the train to the game every time I go.

eyememine
07-17-2008, 05:01 AM
The women had met at the Mark Twain Elementary School in Brentwood, Mo., where they both had taught. Grassi, who was married and had at least one child, had recently retired, while Wacker, who has no children, still teaches fourth grade, Woodruff said.

http://www.philly.com/philly/hp/news_update/20080714_Visiting_Cardinals_fan_hit_by_teen_driver _dies.html?text=reg&c=y

Wait what?

Roadie Jr.
07-17-2008, 05:49 AM
Wait what?:confused:

I don't understand your confusion. They are friends, two teachers that met at the elementary school.

Ragun
07-17-2008, 07:10 AM
extremely sad. RIP.

zambo4president
07-17-2008, 11:01 AM
oh man the one who survived brain trauma, a broken leg, and 2 dislocated shoulder :(

chaseismyhero
07-17-2008, 11:16 AM
:sad2: this makes me ashamed to be a philly fan... :hide:

SportsFan1988
07-17-2008, 02:14 PM
Wow, that is REALLY SAD! :(

JimHendrysTummy
07-17-2008, 02:37 PM
Genovese, said in a televised interview on NBC10 that he had not been drunk. "It was a big accident. They ran into the middle of the street as I was coming through the yellow light and I didn't see them," he said on videotape on the doorstep of what appeared to be his home. Family members standing next to him said they were praying for the victims.

In March, Genovese had been charged with possession of marijuana and was awaiting a hearing, police said, adding that charges are pending.

Uh-huh. And the police report is definately wrong, because grown adults always run into the middle of the street in areas they don't know, without looking both ways. I also believe the breatholyzer test that you most definately had to take must have been tampered with.

It kills me everytime I hear about a senseless "accident" that could have been prevented - love the lying about it, though. Don't worry, kid. Nobody is going to beat you up more than yourself.

eyememine
07-17-2008, 08:40 PM
:confused:

I don't understand your confusion. They are friends, two teachers that met at the elementary school.

I meant "who might have had at least one child". Should of bolded better. But anyhow how do they not know how many children she had?

Twinke Masta
07-18-2008, 12:46 AM
another reason not be a philly fan

McJoe
07-18-2008, 12:51 AM
honestly what does this have to do with baseball at all...someone dies every minute and there are a million baseball fans...what does this have to with baseball

i agree that teen drinking and drinking and driving is really bad but go put it in another forum

nstachowski
07-18-2008, 01:10 AM
honestly what does this have to do with baseball at all...someone dies every minute and there are a million baseball fans...what does this have to with baseball

i agree that teen drinking and drinking and driving is really bad but go put it in another forum

WTF man?! You saw the title and knew what it was about. Dont come into the thread just to bash it for no reason. I believe that just about everyone on this site is a fan, and so was the lady that died and the other one that is in critical condition.

METS4LIFE1988
07-18-2008, 01:28 AM
The driver, Joseph Genovese Jr., of the 3100 block of South Juniper Street, was charged with aggravated assault, driving while under the influence, and related charges. He remains free on $5,000 bail.

:pity:

Out on bail.

He's home relaxing while somebody's sister, mother, friend is being laid to rest.

That's just ****ing awfull.

METS4LIFE1988
07-18-2008, 01:47 AM

You ****ing idiot.

If it was your mom you would be crying like a little *****.

theLgndKllr35
07-18-2008, 01:59 AM
You ****ing idiot.

Fact is it's not, and it's no different than somebody shooting an opposing visiting fan as they walk back to their hotel in a drive by. Fact is deaths happen everyday and this kid will more than pay for his decision in the long run.

See fullapologies.com

nstachowski
07-18-2008, 02:07 AM
Fact is it's not, and it's no different than somebody shooting an opposing visiting fan as they walk back to their hotel in a drive by. Fact is deaths happen everyday and this kid will more than pay for his decision in the long run.

See fullapologies.com

True, but I dont think the he had a right in bashing this thread because it is baseball related in a way and there was no reason for him to do that

WillRain
07-18-2008, 02:08 AM
You ****ing idiot.

Even so, the OP said "what can baseball do?"

The answer is, honestly, not a damn thing.

It doesn't make someone insensitive to the events and the death to point that out.

mariotubes
07-18-2008, 02:08 AM
very sad

DbOyZ_ILiVe4DIs
07-18-2008, 02:11 AM
Rip