PDA

View Full Version : An All-Cubs TV Channel?

BUD Bleachers
07-16-2008, 09:35 PM
We'll be seeing an MLB Channel next season, but how about the "Cubs Network?"

I'd love to see it.

All-Cubs Channel from Tribune tonight (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-wed-cubs-comcast-jul16,1,5987136.story)

PunkShizzle
07-16-2008, 09:39 PM
Could be interesting. Doesn't look like its possible until 2019, though?

Theriot2
07-16-2008, 09:48 PM
This would be pretty cool.

zambo4president
07-16-2008, 10:12 PM
That would be sick

CubZwin38
07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
the steelers have one. I would compare the cubs following and fan base to the steelers. it would go over real well i think. i know i'd be all over that all day every day

DamnGoat
07-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Don't the Mets have something like this too?

I'd love it if WGN will no longer carry games or not as many.

jiggin
07-16-2008, 11:40 PM
After Comcast SportsNet's rights to broadcast Cub games expires in 2019, a new owner could create a new sports network dedicated to the Cubs.

LONG WAY OFF...

Theriot2
07-16-2008, 11:41 PM

I like Comcast Sportsnet
I am not a HUGE fan of WGN, but I don't mind it that much I guess.

jiggin
07-16-2008, 11:41 PM

Mets and Yankees...I believe boston has something in the works or done as well.

yearofthecub
07-16-2008, 11:49 PM

What's wrong with WGN doing games? They are by far a more professional network than CSN and their constant technical problems, especially with audio.

That being said, I'd love an all Cubs network, especially if it could be broadcast nationally. LONG way off though.

cubsneedmiracle
07-17-2008, 12:02 AM
I remember bringing this up awhile ago.. Ive always thought it would be a great idea.

Theriot2
07-17-2008, 12:06 AM
Wow 2019 that is a long, long, long way from now.

DamnGoat
07-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Mets and Yankees...I believe boston has something in the works or done as well.
Boston uses NESN, which all the New England teams use.

It wouldn't be surprising if they had or will have their own network though.

DamnGoat
07-17-2008, 12:09 AM
What's wrong with WGN doing games? They are by far a more professional network than CSN and their constant technical problems, especially with audio.

That being said, I'd love an all Cubs network, especially if it could be broadcast nationally. LONG way off though.
Just reading my quote I can see how you thought I don't like WGN.

I meant that I'd love a network IF WGN is no longer involved.

I love WGN though, definitely better than the CSN games.

LeoGetz
07-17-2008, 12:34 AM
Wow 2019 that is a long, long, long way from now.

Money talks, so if the new owner wants an all Cubs channel sooner I'm pretty sure a deal could be done

Eeyore
07-17-2008, 01:49 AM
Why would they want to kill the golden goose?

Lots of folks became fans because of WGN being broadcast over the air and nationally via cable and satellite.

I started off as a White Sox fan but when they switched to Sportsvision on the precursor to cable called "OnTV" I couldn't watch them. I switched to the Cubs and have been a fan ever since.

Lots of folks in this country don't have a local baseball team and are either Cubs fans or Braves fans because they are/were both broadcast nationally on cable and satellite. If the Cubs end up on something that is local they will lose that extended fan base.

ALBUNDY
07-17-2008, 05:20 PM
We'll be seeing an MLB Channel next season, but how about the "Cubs Network?"

I'd love to see it.

All-Cubs Channel from Tribune tonight (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/cubs/chi-wed-cubs-comcast-jul16,1,5987136.story)

I'd like to start seeing some Cards and Brews games on any network, especially now. Is there a reason why Comcast or WGN can't show those games if it's just a money issue?

cubswoo
07-17-2008, 08:09 PM
My cable company is so cheap they probably wouldn't carry the network like they do with the Big Ten network now.

CuseDude87
07-18-2008, 12:53 AM
My cable company is so cheap they probably wouldn't carry the network like they do with the Big Ten network now.

Agreed. And by the way, WGN isn't a national channel the way ESPN or TNT is. I've been to many places in the country that do not carry WGN. Rarely will cable companies carry WGN on the East Coast (not Syracuse where I live, but farther east and northeast), and also the Southeast. As much as I wish it were true, I've gone on trips where there was no WGN to be found. Not to mention the WGN carried here in Syracuse only show Bulls games on Saturdays. :pity: