PDA

View Full Version : Buffery slams Nash

Denverb2b
07-16-2008, 07:52 PM
Toronto Sun Article (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Columnists/Buffery_Steve/2008/07/16/6168276-sun.html)

I was saddened to learn yesterday morning that Team Canada was spanked by Slovenia at the Olympic basketball qualifier in Greece.

I think Canada would have done a lot better if Steve Nash was in the lineup, but Nash, of course, can't play because he is tired and banged up from playing so many seasons in the NBA.

Somehow, veteran NBAers like Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant, and the Raptors' own Rasho Nesterovic are able to drag their beaten-down bodies to pre-Olympic tournaments. Hell, former Raptors forward Jorge Garbajosa probably has kissed his NBA career away as a result of his commitment to Spanish basketball.

But Nash says he's too tired to play for Canada, and I guess we have to give him the benefit of the doubt. I certainly do, and I'm pleased that Steve is taking steps to rest and recuperate for the coming NBA season, like when he played in a celebrity soccer game a couple of weeks ago in New York City.

I, for one, encourage Steve to take further steps in his pursuit of rest and recuperation. There are plenty of celebrity marathon and decathlon events he can enter this summer ... in an effort to relax and recuperate.

Yes, it's important for Steve to get his priorities in order and that celebrity soccer game in New York was much more important than playing for his country at the Olympic basketball tournament.

Here's to you, Captain Canada ... in your quest for rest and recuperation.

Yes, I've been able to sleep well knowing that Steve Nash is getting the rest he so sorely needs.

I am gld someone finally had the balls to come out and say it because each year that passes and Nash continues to stick his nose in the air at our countries basketball team I grow more and more tired of this guy we call kid canada. How are you caled kid canada, awarded canada's top athelete and then turn your back on your country each and every year claiming to be resting while playing soccer and charity basketball events while we are getting embarrassed.

Steve Nash, your dead to me and you are not a canadian. Oh and your never going to win a NBA title, your 35 going on 36 nearing the end of your career. If he had any sense at all he would suit up for canada and lead them to the olympics and call it a career with a medal and the highest honor in his country.

Steve Nash is a fraud

dirtybird
07-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Are you Mike Toth or Mike Hogan?

I don't have any problem with Nash not being there, whether the real reason is that he wants to rest or is upset at the way Triano was treated. IMO, Nash has done enough and he's entering the age when PG usually suffer a nosedive in their production. 34 is extremely old for a PG. Hollinger did a good analysis showing just how unusual Nash's production is. As long as Nash is getting paid by an NBA team, his responsibility is to do what's best for his team.

lorenz00
07-16-2008, 08:36 PM
i agree nash is BS xD

lorenz00
07-16-2008, 08:36 PM
but idolise him for playing in the nba...

ink
07-16-2008, 09:01 PM
I rarely disagree as fully and completely as I do with this stupid article by Buffery. He's probably Toronto's worst sports writer and has less than zero credibility on this one. Nash has given more than enough to the National team over the years, often having to fight against Mark Cuban's will to play for Canada in the off-season. He has probably logged more minutes in the last few years with PHX than almost any PG in the league and he is about a year or two away from retiring. His pro team has probably one more run at the playoffs next year and he wants to be healthy. Shaq, Nash, Hill and even Bell are all going to be gone soon, and the time to be in perfect shape for the NBA season is next year.

Buffery is so full of crap on this one, the article barely deserves to be dignified with a response. He complains about Nash running or taking part in one-off promotional soccer games? Isn't Buffery the fat guy who works for the Sun? I would be seriously surprised if he had ever played a sport other than poker in his life. LMAO. If he thinks that a few promotional sporting events somehow compare to a pre-Olympic tournament and then a full-on Olympic tournament, including extended time zone acclimatization, he obviously has no clue at all about he sport he's been assigned to. He needs to wake up and realize that Nash already did this 8 years ago in Sydney, where he almost single-handedly got the Canadian team into the bronze medal game.

And, to think a supposed fan uses this article to say that "Nash is dead to him" and "Steve Nash you are a fraud". Talk about over-reaction. :pity: That comment stays in the thread just to show how wrong posters can sometimes be in here.

Cortez
07-16-2008, 09:06 PM
mayb he doesnt want to waste his time playing for a losing cause

zantabak
07-16-2008, 09:36 PM
Nash has the right to do what he wants...KG rejected his invitation to play with team USA,...Nash has done more enough for this program already, why not let others try? I think this article is rediculous, let the guy spend time with his family...there's more to life than ball!

Beach Rock
07-16-2008, 09:38 PM
I rarely disagree as fully and completely as I do with this stupid article by Buffery. He's probably Toronto's worst sports writer and has less than zero credibility on this one. Nash has given more than enough to the National team over the years, often having to fight against Mark Cuban's will to play for Canada in the off-season. He has probably logged more minutes in the last few years with PHX than almost any PG in the league and he is about a year or two away from retiring. His pro team has probably one more run at the playoffs next year and he wants to be healthy. Shaq, Nash, Hill and even Bell are all going to be gone soon, and the time to be in perfect shape for the NBA season is next year.

Buffery is so full of crap on this one, the article barely deserves to be dignified with a response. He complains about Nash running or taking part in one-off promotional soccer games? Isn't Buffery the fat guy who works for the Sun? I would be seriously surprised if he had ever played a sport other than poker in his life. LMAO. If he thinks that a few promotional sporting events somehow compare to a pre-Olympic tournament and then a full-on Olympic tournament, including extended time zone acclimatization, he obviously has no clue at all about he sport he's been assigned to. He needs to wake up and realize that Nash already did this 8 years ago in Sydney, where he almost single-handedly got the Canadian team into the bronze medal game.

Well said Ink. You're obviously no Buffery fan but despite that you seem bang on in my opinion. Not to mention the Triano fiasco which Nash may or may not (may) take into consideration still as he was very vocal in suport of Jay and hasn't played since it. He's entitled on those grounds as well in my opinion...but then again...

just to show how wrong posters can sometimes be in here.

...i could be one of those guys. haha.

khanraymond
07-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Toronto Sun Article (http://www.torontosun.com/Sports/Columnists/Buffery_Steve/2008/07/16/6168276-sun.html)

I am gld someone finally had the balls to come out and say it because each year that passes and Nash continues to stick his nose in the air at our countries basketball team I grow more and more tired of this guy we call kid canada. How are you caled kid canada, awarded canada's top athelete and then turn your back on your country each and every year claiming to be resting while playing soccer and charity basketball events while we are getting embarrassed.

Steve Nash, your dead to me and you are not a canadian. Oh and your never going to win a NBA title, your 35 going on 36 nearing the end of your career. If he had any sense at all he would suit up for canada and lead them to the olympics and call it a career with a medal and the highest honor in his country.

Steve Nash is a fraud

It's just a little hypocritical to call Nash a fraud unless you've done more for Canadian Basketball as him. While everyone is entitled to their opinion, that also means Nash is entitled to want summers off for his family and himself.

Nearsighted are we? Some writers and fans have such selective memories - seeing that Nash has already done so much - but I guess not enough for some.

The term Kid Canada does not only refer to his time with Team Canada, but also the fact that he has brought more interest to Canadian basketball as a whole. While VC put Toronto on the map in the NBA (I know I'm going to get it for that one), Nash made Canadian basketball respectable on a global scale. A friend of my mine is continuing his education in Australia. When he got there last year, he was shocked to see how many Nash jerseys kids had.

While Toronto fans are known for their dedication to their teams and their Canadian heros - it's a little suprising to see how easily influenced they are by a sports writer trying to create a buzz. Let's face it, no one would make a big deal about a story dedicated to Nash's accomplishments (been there, done that). If this story has any validity or not, is completely irrelevant because the news business is not about truth or fiction, but about what will sell - and controversy sells.

Buffery should really ask himself if he's done half as much as Nash as a Canadian, let alone as an athlete.

To say Nash will never win a championship means exactly what? - some of the best players in the league have never one championships - and who knows where he will be playing when his contract is up. Buffery will write a new article at that time - Nash could have played for the Raptors, but sold out to a contending team - I can just see the Treads starting to formulate.

Bob_at_york
07-16-2008, 10:56 PM
totally unfair assessment. Buffery knows about the Jay Triano situation and he should know that there is more to Nash's decision than just taking a rest.

dirtybird
07-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Isn't Buffery the fat guy who works for the Sun? I would be seriously surprised if he had ever played a sport other than poker in his life.

While I agree with your point in general, I do take exception to that statement. Just because you never played a pro sport doesn't necessarily preclude you from being right. I just don't think that you can use that as an argument. I'll use baseball as an example, but just because Rob Neyer has never played pro ball doesn't mean that he's wrong and Joe Morgan is right.

Dragan
07-16-2008, 11:30 PM
he gave atklest 10 years to canada. and imo tha was enough. I think Buffery is an idiot for even writing this articel, he should have dedicated this article on sheding light on the CBA for hiering Leo as the coach.

ink
07-16-2008, 11:35 PM
While I agree with your point in general, I do take exception to that statement. Just because you never played a pro sport doesn't necessarily preclude you from being right. I just don't think that you can use that as an argument. I'll use baseball as an example, but just because Rob Neyer has never played pro ball doesn't mean that he's wrong and Joe Morgan is right.

I'll give you that one. But my point is that if he had half a clue about the physical toll these tournaments take on an athlete, he would know that there is no comparison whatsoever with a couple of promotional sporting events. Buffery gives the impression that his understanding of the off-season is sitting at the cottage in Lake Muskoka with a couple of cold ones all day. There is ground in between that and a couple of world class basketball tournaments, and all the associated exhaustion, pressure, stress and risk of injury that come with them.

JermanJaysFan
07-16-2008, 11:36 PM
This is a very unfortunate article. Nash has put a lot into our program, and puts a lot into his NBA career. He has every right to take his summers off.

raptors wiseguy
07-17-2008, 12:12 AM
is this guy a real sportswriter...it seems as if he knows nothing about the sport he's writing about

Somehow, veteran NBAers like Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant, and the Raptors' own Rasho Nesterovic are able to drag their beaten-down bodies to pre-Olympic tournaments.

first off every writer, even every fan in toronto should know that rasho is no longer a raptor and was involved in the biggest raptors deal of the offseason.

Hell, former Raptors forward Jorge Garbajosa probably has kissed his NBA career away as a result of his commitment to Spanish basketball.

is he suggesting that this was a good choice?? because this is probably the precise reason for nash to sit out the summer...he doesnt want to have to miss an entire season to try to help his team qualify and possibly get injured

does he forget just a few years ago when nash was zipping up and down the court in a team canada jersey and a rubberband on his head...he had layed his body out for this country time and time again and was the first canadian to win an mvp award not only that he won 2!

he had brought alot more to this country than just playing for it...he has brought canada respect and has brought us into the conscience of the nba and american fans

so before this writer starts dissing the greatest player to ever come out of canada...he should look back at all he has done for all of us

l8tr
07-17-2008, 01:08 AM
Steve Nash is no fraud. The guys paid his dues representing Canada in previous olympic games. If you really wanted to point fingers there were others who didn't represent Canada when called upon. Look at Rick Fox some years ago, or more recently and way younger than Nash; the idiot known as Jamal Magloire. I still remember the Toronto Sun publishing up their stupid Magloire report in the sports section on his single digit scoring and rebounding years ago. He never once represented Canada at the Olympics. Nash has. Give the man a break, him not going means that somebody else younger has a chance to represent their country. All these stupid sports writers indirectly care more about Hockey than basketball anyways, and that's why they're so passionate about pointing at Nash in the first place.

Oh, and by the way. That loss to Slovenia is Leo's fault. Sub-par commentator, worse as a coach.

argo
07-17-2008, 01:10 AM
i'm torn on this one.

i know nash has put in his time already with the national team, i know the last thing he wants to do is play basketball in the off-season, i know he wants to be healthy for next year and what could be one of the last opportunities he has to win a championship... i know the guy has single-handedly put canada on the basketball map.

i'm a big fan of steve nash -his game, his personality, what he does for the community, etc.
but i don't recall gretzky, lemieux, or any other great canadian athletes (i'm not including jamal maglore or hollywood fox in this group) ever turning down the call to represent their country in the olympics, unless they were injured and unable to play - even towards the end of their careers when they were on teams competing for championships. we are so blessed to have been born in this country - it has given us so much, and is a huge part of who we are and the opportunities we are given in life.

we all have our priorities in life, and none of us likes to be judged. every canadian would like to see him on the national team, but it's no longer one of his priorities. it's his choice. i'm sure he has his reasons. in the end i choose to still be a fan and not to judge the guy when i don't know all the facts. not that i'm not a little bit disappointed ;)

Fion
07-17-2008, 01:19 AM
nash is older than dirk or kobe, and has bad back problems, they are talking about not allowing him to play a full season in the nba, let alone the olympics. he played for canada for 10 years, leave him be.

the life
07-17-2008, 07:32 AM
Funny how some people slam Nash for not playing for Canada but the same people slammed Garbo for playing for Spain. Talking about double standards.
Then I remember how VC was criticized for doing some dance steps on a stage at a concert while he was hurt and didn’t play. For some people it is the same thing to dance for 20 seconds or to play in NBA.
Then I remember how Michael Schumacher was criticized by Italian prim minister for doing some dance steps while the Italian anthem was played after winning the world championship in formula 1.
All this are examples of envy of the small people against the big characters. They try to bring the heroes down to their microscopic level. We always demand absolute perfection from our heroes but we are far away from what we ask from them. We are so tolerant with our flaws and so unforgiving with theirs. We forget all the good things they do and chose to talk about the small things they don’t. And this is not because we are right but because we envy them.

Gretzky and Lemieux were part of strong Canadian teams. They participated as part of a winning family and they were always in contention for the big price. None of the two were asked to be the man and to take Hokey Canada to the promise land. It is a totally different situation with Nash playing with Canadian basketball team. He has no help. Nash is a super player in a really bad team. We are far from being an elite basketball team in the world. And the elite status should be in the team not in Steve Nash.

Then the big guns (white collars) at the federation did forget the fact that Nash was responsible for the Canadian basketball success. When the success arrived they were the most intoxicated with it and decided they can improve the team ignoring Steve’s wishes. That was totally wrong and proves how idiots they are. I fully support Steve and if I want the best for Canadian basketball I would offer him a job and I would let him build a basketball program here in Canada. But the white collars will not accept this, they have no business in running the basketball federation and they will be afraid that Steve will expose their lack of clue regarding basketball matters.

RapsFan4Life
07-17-2008, 08:59 AM
the nba pays nash to perform to get fans to turn on their televisions for that much antisipated Suns game, and he does exactly that ... If he were to play for canada he would be the center peice and have to work his butt off. Expectations for the team would be through the roof, were we all know team USA is uncouchable ... Steve also has a family to think about and one charity soccer game wont stop him from spending time as a dad which NBA players have such a tough time doing already, I give him much respect and everyone else should too unless you got better skills then him... which no1 on this thread does! .. so everyone including Buffery should SHUT THE HELL UP cuz steve will cross you out!

Raptors27
07-17-2008, 09:13 AM
Funny how some people slam Nash for not playing for Canada but the same people slammed Garbo for playing for Spain. Talking about double standards.
Than I remember how VC was criticized for doing some dance steps on a stage at a concert while he was hurt and didnít play. For some people it is the same thing to dance for 20 seconds or to play in NBA.
Than I remember how Michael Schumacher was criticized by Italian prim minister for doing some dance steps while the Italian anthem was played after winning the world championship in formula 1.
All this are examples of envy of the small people against the big characters. They try to bring the heroes down to their microscopic level. We always demand absolute perfection from our heroes but we are far away from what we ask from them. We are so tolerant with our flaws and so unforgiving with theirs. We forget all the good things they do and chose to talk about the small things they donít. And this is not because we are right but because we envy them.

Gretzky and Lemieux were part of strong Canadian teams. They participated as part of a winning family and they were always in contention for the big price. None of the two were asked to be the man and to take Hokey Canada to the promise land. It is a totally different situation with Nash playing with Canadian basketball team. He has no help. Nash is a super player in a really bad team. We are far from being an elite basketball team in the world. And the elite status should be in the team not in Steve Nash.

Then the big guns (white collars) at the federation did forget the fact that Nash was responsible for the Canadian basketball success. When the success arrived they were the most intoxicated with it and decided they can improve the team ignoring Steveís wishes. That was totally wrong and proves how idiots they are. I fully support Steve and if I want the best for Canadian basketball I would offer him a job and I would let him build a basketball program here in Canada. But the white collars will not accept this, they have no business in running the basketball federation and they will be afraid that Steve will expose their lack of clue regarding basketball matters.

Nicely put.

pebloemer
07-17-2008, 09:46 AM

That's just beautiful. Great catch.

In regards to the sarcastic criticism about Nash play soccer while "resting," I think Buffery is way off on this. Soccer is a huge hobby of Nash. Who said resting, means laying in your bed all day. Isn't it just doing the things you love that you don't get to do in the regular course of the season? I think Nash is allowed to indulge on one of his hobbies and work for charity in his summers. The guy can have a personal life. He has been rigorously training and playing basketball his entire life. Sorry Buffery, but you can't just use Nash to get the country get a medal - he is a person too; an admirable one at that.

Kontent
07-17-2008, 10:19 AM
I watched Steve Nash play with Rick Fox, Martin Keane and a bunch of other great Canadians in 1994. He was very young and he played his heart out. That was the year the Dream Team II had total domination in Toronto at the World Championships. Nash played with pride and to bash him because he isn't playing now is wrong. Did his determination and dedication back then mean nothing? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the guy play for Team Canada today, but he's done enough in the past for me to respect him.

By the way, Sam Mitchell treats Steve Buffery like the moron he is. I can't believe this guy just sits back and takes it. Smitch is a bully to him. Usually I would feel bad for the guy, but he brings it on himself and quite frankly, Sam is hilarious when he picks on him!

RapsFan4Life
07-17-2008, 11:33 AM
I watched Steve Nash play with Rick Fox, Martin Keane and a bunch of other great Canadians in 1994. He was very young and he played his heart out. That was the year the Dream Team II had total domination in Toronto at the World Championships. Nash played with pride and to bash him because he isn't playing now is wrong. Did his determination and dedication back then mean nothing? Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see the guy play for Team Canada today, but he's done enough in the past for me to respect him.

By the way, Sam Mitchell treats Steve Buffery like the moron he is. I can't believe this guy just sits back and takes it. Smitch is a bully to him. Usually I would feel bad for the guy, but he brings it on himself and quite frankly, Sam is hilarious when he picks on him!

I agree that Nash played his heart out before and he has nothing to prove because he already has 2 nba mvp's on his shelf no one should bash him ...

im interested in your comment for Smitch making fun on buffery, do you have any interviews or articles cuz i wouldnt mind laughing a bit

SorianosTheMan
07-17-2008, 11:44 AM

Steve Nash is a fraud

This article and your writings are both inappropriate and ridiculous. This is a choice he made, and I'm sure he has his own reasons for making. There are many factors that go along with going to the Olympics. Safety is a big issue, and if it were me, I would be awfully weary about putting my life and career on the line in a hostile Olympic environment. Team Canada probably won't win, or medal in the Olympics, with or without Nash, so why would he chance anything bad happening. Also, for this man to compare a celebrity soccer game to the Olympics is not right at all. The soccer game was for fun, and probably didn't require Nash to go all out in training, practices, traveling overseas, and then playing an all-out tournament. Maybe he wanted some time with friends and family? Anybody ever thought of that? Just because he makes a lot of money and people falsely idolize him doesn't mean he has the commitment to what all these idolizers want him to do. He has his own life to worry about, give the guy a break, and grow up a little bit.

Kontent
07-17-2008, 01:06 PM
im interested in your comment for Smitch making fun on buffery, do you have any interviews or articles cuz i wouldnt mind laughing a bit

It would be hard to dig up, but I even remember one article when Buffery acknowledged how Smitch always made fun of how he dressed.

Bob_at_york
07-17-2008, 02:00 PM
It would be hard to dig up, but I even remember one article when Buffery acknowledged how Smitch always made fun of how he dressed.

smitch makes fun of all the press guys.

Kontent
07-17-2008, 02:30 PM
smitch makes fun of all the press guys.

Definitely, but he seems to pick on Steve Buffery the most. I've read/heard him make short, fat, bald and poorly dressed comments towards him. Smitch is very funny when it comes to dealing with the press, but the jokes he makes about Buffery crack me up the most.

The Wise 1
07-17-2008, 05:57 PM

That's just beautiful. Great catch.

Its not a double standard because they are 2 completely different situations. One guy is healthy and is choosing not to represent his country and the other was told not to play because he needed further surgery and was told that if he played there was a risk of the injury worsening (is that even a word?). I realize that Nash wants to keep fresh and he has some back problems but compared to Garbo's injury they are 2 different situations.

I am not saying Nash should play though. It's up to him and if he doesnt want to play then thats his decision.

ink
07-17-2008, 09:01 PM
Its not a double standard because they are 2 completely different situations. One guy is healthy and is choosing not to represent his country and the other was told not to play because he needed further surgery and was told that if he played there was a risk of the injury worsening (is that even a word?). I realize that Nash wants to keep fresh and he has some back problems but compared to Garbo's injury they are 2 different situations.

I am not saying Nash should play though. It's up to him and if he doesnt want to play then thats his decision.

Not quite correct. Nash is not really healthy, and hasn't been for several years. He takes daily therapy for his back injury. Ultimately it's exactly the same thing. If his back grows worse, he is unavailable to his NBA team. Garbo was also unavailable to his NBA team. So, I'd say, yes, it is a double standard.

B2theRY
07-17-2008, 09:32 PM
he has played for canada for years and we sucked.. it would be nice if he would play but the guy is 36 years old.. canada has NO talent and wont win anyway so why go play for them and not compete..

now team canada baseball... if all our superstars played we'd be dangerous.

The Wise 1
07-17-2008, 09:57 PM
Not quite correct. Nash is not really healthy, and hasn't been for several years. He takes daily therapy for his back injury. Ultimately it's exactly the same thing. If his back grows worse, he is unavailable to his NBA team. Garbo was also unavailable to his NBA team. So, I'd say, yes, it is a double standard.

Yeah but as of right now, is Nash able to play a basketball game? If the NBA started today would he be on the court?

If so then its a different situation. It might have some similarities but IMO Garbo's was much worse and really shouldnt be used as examples of double standards.

ink
07-17-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah but as of right now, is Nash able to play a basketball game? If the NBA started today would he be on the court?

If so then its a different situation. It might have some similarities but IMO Garbo's was much worse and really shouldnt be used as examples of double standards.

I don't really see the difference in ultimate effect on the team. Both would be able to play: Garbo was able to play at last year's Euros and Nash was able to play at this year's qualifiers. Garbo was criticized for doing so, and Nash was criticized for not doing so. Of course there will be different specifics. They're both individuals. But it is still a double standard.

Garbo's decision affected the Raptors, Nash's decision affected another team. I think that's really the main difference. Since it's a Raptors forum, many here don't care about the impact on his NBA team. If the OP had posted this thread in the Suns forum EVERY SINGLE Suns fan would have said he did the right thing: 1. they're not Canadians, 2. they want to win next season and need a completely healthy lineup, and 3. they know their roster is full of brittle veterans who may or may not finish out the 08-09 season.

The Wise 1
07-17-2008, 10:25 PM
I don't really see the difference in ultimate effect on the team. Both would be able to play: Garbo was able to play at last year's Euros and Nash was able to play at this year's qualifiers. Garbo was criticized for doing so, and Nash was criticized for not doing so. Of course there will be different specifics. They're both individuals. But it is still a double standard.

Garbo's decision affected the Raptors, Nash's decision affected another team. I think that's really the main difference. Since it's a Raptors forum, many here don't care about the impact on his NBA team. If the OP had posted this thread in the Suns forum EVERY SINGLE Suns fan would have said he did the right thing: 1. they're not Canadians, 2. they want to win next season and need a completely healthy lineup, and 3. they know their roster is full of brittle veterans who may or may not finish out the 08-09 season.

I see where your coming from but Garbo was told not to play because he needed more surgery and if the NBA season were to start he was not going to play. In Nash's case, if the NBA season were to start today, he would be healthy and ready to go. Nash simply wants to rest and save his energy for the season which I respect and have no problem with. But with Garbo, he was seriously hurt and went against his teams wishes. IMO they have/had different types of injuries that shouldnt be compared.

ink
07-17-2008, 10:35 PM
I see where your coming from but Garbo was told not to play because he needed more surgery and if the NBA season were to start he was not going to play. In Nash's case, if the NBA season were to start today, he would be healthy and ready to go. Nash simply wants to rest and save his energy for the season which I respect and have no problem with. But with Garbo, he was seriously hurt and went against his teams wishes. IMO they have/had different types of injuries that shouldnt be compared.

You know that Nash played for Canada against Mark Cuban's wishes too right? And that the Raptors initially asked Garbo not to play but later accepted the situation with the caveat that they wanted the Spanish Federation to pay for insurance? I'm sure the Suns have also talked with Nash about the possibility of not being healthy if he played in the tournament. It's well known that Nash only makes it through the season because of the PHX training staff - who wouldn't be available to Team Canada. They are very comparable situations - one is a leg break, the other is a chronic back problem.

As for readiness to play, Nash would be ready to play at the beginning of the season, and so would Garbajosa. The conservative estimates the doctors made last summer suggested he would be fit and ready to play by October.

The Wise 1
07-18-2008, 12:56 PM
You know that Nash played for Canada against Mark Cuban's wishes too right? And that the Raptors initially asked Garbo not to play but later accepted the situation with the caveat that they wanted the Spanish Federation to pay for insurance? I'm sure the Suns have also talked with Nash about the possibility of not being healthy if he played in the tournament. It's well known that Nash only makes it through the season because of the PHX training staff - who wouldn't be available to Team Canada. They are very comparable situations - one is a leg break, the other is a chronic back problem.

As for readiness to play, Nash would be ready to play at the beginning of the season, and so would Garbajosa. The conservative estimates the doctors made last summer suggested he would be fit and ready to play by October.

I know Cuban didnt want him to play but I dont know the reason, what was the reason?

IMO it was obvious that the only reason why the Raptors allowed him to play was because Garbo wasnt going to take no for an answer. If the Raps would of held ground I believe we would of had this Garbo situation last summer.

Yeah Garbo would of been ready for the start of the season but if his season would of started at the time of his euro cup he would not of been playing for the Raptors, he would be having surgery. Where as Nash would be ready to go if the NBA season started today.

It looks like we will wont see eye to eye on this but IMO the injuries and the health of the players are to different to be able to use as double standards. One shouldnt have been playing basketball at all while the other can.

the life
07-18-2008, 01:14 PM

I think people won't be so willing to see nash playing for team canada if he was a raptor :)

the life
07-18-2008, 01:17 PM

I am sure Suns requested nash not to play for canada but you don't know it because nash decided to follow their request. The topic would have been in all the newspapers if nash decided he wants to play no matter what (this is what garbo did)

the life
07-18-2008, 01:29 PM
IMO it was obvious that the only reason why the Raptors allowed him to play was because Garbo wasnt going to take no for an answer. If the Raps would of held ground I believe we would of had this Garbo situation last summer.

This is true. Garbo was more interested playing for the Spanish team; Nash is more interested playing for the NBA team. But is more in it than just this. Garbo was part of a very strong Spanish team so he believed they can win it all (almost did). Nash is part of a very bad Canadian team so is no point for him to risk his health for a losing cause. I am sure nash would have played if Canadians were contenders.

They reacted differently to similar situations but us the raptors fans think any situation that works for us is a good situation no matter how against our own belief is:
Garbo to stay away from his Spanish team because he is a raptor,
Nash to stay away from his NBA team because he is Canadian

this is pure subjectivism...

The Wise 1
07-18-2008, 04:37 PM
I am sure Suns requested nash not to play for canada but you don't know it because nash decided to follow their request. The topic would have been in all the newspapers if nash decided he wants to play no matter what (this is what garbo did)

If they did it was because they didnt want Nash to RISK injury, compared to the Raptors not wanting garbo to play because he needed further surgery and would only make it worse.

argo
07-18-2008, 05:18 PM
If they did it was because they didnt want Nash to RISK injury, compared to the Raptors not wanting garbo to play because he needed further surgery and would only make it worse.

i agree, i don't think the Raps would have a problem with Garbo playing for Spain if he was healthy. Calderon's playing for Spain now, Ukic for Croatia (our only two pg's)... CB for the US - even after plantar fasciatus(?) caused him to miss games last time he played for his country - but every starter in the NBA deals with nagging injuries over the course of the year. it could be argued that the Raps could be competing for a championship this year in what most people consider a weaker conference than the Suns are in.

the argument comparing Garbo and Nash's situation is a weak one.

ink
07-18-2008, 11:12 PM
But, guys, Nash isn't healthy.

BSims
07-19-2008, 11:21 AM
What's more important: An NBA Championship or a futile attempt to win the Olympic Gold? Sorry to say, but Nash knows the Canadians, with or without him, have no shot. Even if they qualify for the Olympics, they'll get embarrassed by powerhouses like the US, Argentina, and Germany, to name a few. During which time, Nash could get hurt and further worn out, shaving off more valuable time from the little he has left with the Suns. Remember: Kobe and Dirk have legitimate shots to win the games, and don't have the chronic back issues that Nash deals with constantly. Plus, have you seen the Canadian roster? NO CHANCE. And please, how much energy do you think Nash is expending in a celebrity soccer game? That's a ridiculous comparison: International basketball competition vs. Celebrity soccer game. Are you serious? In the name of quality sports columns everywhere, stop with your misguided, snarky drivel that's rooted in an embarrassing mix of ignorance and writer's block (why else would you trash a legend, a two-time MVP like Nash?). In the end, Buffery, your just a buffoon with laptop and nothing more.

argo
07-19-2008, 11:37 AM
the reply above is absolute pessimism, no confidence, beat yourself before you start.. "NO CHANCE"- in caps too? you must feel really passionate about that? embarrassed? - might as well give up ever trying. look at what greece and spain have been able to do in world competition. if you build it they will come, good players attract other good players. you have to believe you can win if you're going to compete.
i know Nash has his reasons. that's his business. period. you don't need to defend him. just stop trashing canada and assuming everyone here is a pessimist and a coward.

ink
07-19-2008, 12:04 PM
the reply above is absolute pessimism, no confidence, beat yourself before you start.. "NO CHANCE"- in caps too? you must feel really passionate about that? embarrassed? - might as well give up ever trying. look at what greece and spain have been able to do in world competition. if you build it they will come, good players attract other good players. you have to believe you can win if you're going to compete.
i know Nash has his reasons. that's his business. period. you don't need to defend him. just stop trashing canada and assuming everyone here is a pessimist and a coward.

I don't think the guy was being a pessimist to say that the program is in really bad shape right now. We're not producing good enough basketball players right now and the organization is really poor. I don't even think he was trashing Canada. The Canadians had no shot. That's a fact. They were not very good, and it was kind of obvious before the tournament started.