PDA

View Full Version : Miguel Cabrera

SportsFan1988
07-16-2008, 02:44 PM
I'm not a Tigers fan, so I'm not always up to date with what's going on with every team around the league, but what is up with him? he was arguably one of the best hitters in the majors last few years with the Marlins, and clearly hasn't performed on that lever since being traded here...what's his deal?

stanpapi
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
...I mean, the guy's hitting .284 w/16 taters and 57 RBIs, so he's hitting just fine. Problem is he can't play 3rd, so now we have him at first, where we should be playing about 4 other guys.

smarkow
07-16-2008, 03:56 PM
...I mean, the guy's hitting .284 w/16 taters and 57 RBIs, so he's hitting just fine. Problem is he can't play 3rd, so now we have him at first,

where he's actually doing a darn good job. And, the guy we moved from first to third, carlos guillen, is doing a pretty darn good job himself at 3rd (after a horrible first week or so).

Even if Cabrera played first, we'd still have a ton of players who could play first. Guillen, Larish, Thames. Only difference is that Cabrera is that instead of guillen, we have cabrera. Larish hasnt looked to good, so i'm not sure why he's even in the mix. With Sheffield hitting the way he has been, there should be a rotation of Cabrera, Ordonez, Thames, and quite frankly, Joyce, who in my opinion, has earned a spot on this team.

As far as his hitting, cabrera started extremely slow, but has come alive in the past month. By the end of the season, he'll be hitting above .300 with over 30 HR and 100 RBIs.

Bondomania
07-16-2008, 06:44 PM
he is adjusting to a new, (better) league, with tougher pitching than the NL.. also he had an adjustment period with the team as well.. Also keep in mind he is batting 5th not 4th so he isn't getting as many opporunities to drive in runs... since maggs got hurt, we have seen what he can do in the 4th spot

smarkow
07-16-2008, 07:27 PM
While in Florida, was he batting in the 3rd of 4th spot?
I believe he was in the 3rd spot in Florida, which is why i think Leyland should put him there, and put Guillen at 5. just my opinion, and i've said it from day 1 when there was speculation about where he was going to be in the order.

stanpapi
07-16-2008, 10:25 PM
The guy's a great hitter, and there's no question about that. But having to play him at first is (and will be) a huge headache.

Tragedy
07-16-2008, 11:26 PM
Many great players go through a phase of adjusting to a new league. I'm not saying JD Drew is a "great" player, but the difference from 2007 to 2008 is clear and evident.

Miguel, overall, is having a solid season. He'll end the year with respectable numbers. I expect monster numbers, though, next year.

levignjw
07-16-2008, 11:56 PM
I'm not worried about miggy...hes making a switch to a better league, and facing new pitchers so all he needs is some time to adjust. Not to mention the switch to first couldnt have helped his adjustment so I expect a lot better numbers in the second half when the tigers start making their push for the central

Jonathan2323
07-17-2008, 01:58 AM
Miguel Cabrea will be fine he is just adjusting to being on a new team but if he were playing for Florida no doubt he would be batting over .330.

Bondomania
07-17-2008, 12:14 PM
i dunno, i think miggy would see some better pitches if he was batting 3rd instead of 5th since he has no one protecting him in the lineup.. but the maggs wouldn't see as great of pitches

smarkow
07-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I think Magglio can handle himself. He had Guillen backing him up at #5 last year and he did just fine. the only argument as to why cabrera is not batting 5th is the fact that the guy is so slow.

stanpapi
07-19-2008, 01:06 AM
That's the other problem. Not only is he so slow, Cabrera pretty much does one thing. He hits. And if he doesn't hit, he doesn't do a lot of anything. He just hits, that's it, and you hope he doesn't bugger up anything else. Great hitter, but he's a one-tool guy.

Seamhead
07-19-2008, 02:08 AM
It's called a small sample size and soon to regress.

Sheffies Chef
07-19-2008, 11:50 AM
That's the other problem. Not only is he so slow, Cabrera pretty much does one thing. He hits. And if he doesn't hit, he doesn't do a lot of anything. He just hits, that's it, and you hope he doesn't bugger up anything else. Great hitter, but he's a one-tool guy.

he's actually a three-tool guy with some potential as a four-tool guy. he can hit for average, hit for power, and has a cannon arm. he has the potential to be a very good fielder also because we've seen flashes of brilliance from cabby at first... but we also have seen stupid mistakes. thats why he's got potential there, not immediate "very good" status.

Seamhead
07-19-2008, 12:17 PM
I've seen flashes of brilliance from a lot of bad fielders, say Derek Jeter, but that doesn't mean they have defensive potential.

smarkow
07-19-2008, 01:57 PM
whats surprising to me is how slow Cabrera is. I mean, i remember reading reports before the trade that he had been working out with a trainer and so far had lost 20 pounds or something. Good Lord, can you imaging what he looked like before working out? This guy needs to change his diet in a major way. I really think this is one of the major reasons Leyland has him batting 5th rather than 3rd, because the guy won't be able to score from first base on a double. On the other hand, guys like SHeffield, Guillen, Thames, etc will.

IndiansFan337
07-19-2008, 02:12 PM
Comerica is a pitcher's park, isn't it?

So I guess his HR & 2B totals were probably expected to decrease.

This guy is as slow as can be though. Giving him that huge extension was a mistake, IMO. No matter how good he can hit, his body would be a MAJOR concern to me if I was paying him hundreds of millions of dollars. Yes, I have heard the stories about him losing about 20 lbs since last season, but the dude is still huge. He's flabby in the waist & upper thighs. I would be VERY worried about him within 2-4 years if I was a Tigers fan.

I think he is a tremendous hitter. And as an Indians fan, I hate seeing him oppose our team. But I just think they should be concerned about the amount of money that they owe to this kid. It was a very high risk signing, IMO.

stanpapi
07-19-2008, 03:28 PM
he's actually a three-tool guy with some potential as a four-tool guy. he can hit for average, hit for power, and has a cannon arm. he has the potential to be a very good fielder also because we've seen flashes of brilliance from cabby at first... but we also have seen stupid mistakes. thats why he's got potential there, not immediate "very good" status.

Power and average -- no question. But his so-called cannon arm doesn't mean much if he can't catch the damn ball. Which is why he's causing a logjam at first.

Bondomania
07-20-2008, 01:13 AM
you make a horrible argument stan about catching the ball.. you keep saying this logjam.. who is log jammed up.. Larish? Thames? both weren't expected to be the starting 1B of this club.. Miggy makes some pretty nice catches all the time, so i don't know what game you are watching, but he is playing good all around defense at first considering he has been there 2 months or so.. maybe you should watch the game and observe some of the nice picks he makes on the balls brandon bounces in to him..

smarkow
07-20-2008, 02:38 PM
I think stans argument is that we didnt "need" another first baseman.

the thing is, Thames isnt really a first baseman either. Larish was a minor leaguer and want not supposed to be on this team this year.

smarkow
07-20-2008, 03:36 PM
whats surprising to me is how slow Cabrera is....... I really think this is one of the major reasons Leyland has him batting 5th rather than 3rd, because the guy won't be able to score from first base on a double. On the other hand, guys like SHeffield, Guillen, Thames, etc will.

Quoting myself, I really think the reason leyland has Cabrera batting 5th as opposed to 3rd is because he won't be able to score from first base on a double. This just happened on Sunday at 3:30 pm. Cabrera on first base, and Thames drills a double to left center. Had cabrera been sent home, he would have been out by about 15 feet. so pitiful. I think i'm faster than he is, and i'm pretty damn slow...

Bondomania
07-21-2008, 11:40 AM
cabrera is a BIG BOY though. It isn't that he is fat and flabby as people have suggested, he is just built like a football linebacker.. could he lose another 15 pounds this offseason? sure, it would be in his best interest..