PDA

View Full Version : Lakers considered Favorite for Ron Artest, however Mavs could part with Howard

JordansBulls
07-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Source: SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_mannix/07/15/camby.reax/index.html)

The talk here continues to be about the future of Ron Artest. Dallas reportedly has had internal discussions about the Kings' mercurial power forward and may be willing to part with its own enigmatic forward, Josh Howard, to get him. The Lakers -- who have dangled Lamar Odom -- continue to be regarded as the favorites, with their willingness to swallow the remaining two years and $16.5 million of Kenny Thomas' contract considered the only holdup.

I find it strange that whenever a team is considered the favorite for a player they end up going somewhere else. Gasol to the Bulls, Maggette to Spurs, Iverson to the Celtics in 2006-2007, etc.

Chronz
07-16-2008, 12:41 PM
If Im the either of these teams I jump all over that deal

kylem4711
07-16-2008, 12:45 PM
come to the clips!

JordansBulls
07-16-2008, 12:46 PM
The Rockets need to jump over a deal for Artest. He would give them the best chance to win as they would have a consistent 3rd scoring option and his defense is as good as Battier's if not better.

Also I think Phoenix should try to get him maybe in a trade for Diaw and Barbosa.

Storch
07-16-2008, 12:47 PM
howard for artest sounds like a bad deal for the mavs.

sunsalltheway03
07-16-2008, 12:48 PM
I think he's probably going to the Lakers. But, if I am either of those teams, I would probably do the deal. Artest is a great player. You just don't know where is head is at times.

lakersrock
07-16-2008, 01:01 PM
When the Lakers are the front runners for a player from the KINGS, you know it's just a matter of time until it's finished. These two teams hate each other and if they'll deal us Artest, they are clearly saying everyone else's offer blows BIG time.

obrpunk
07-16-2008, 01:03 PM
it's a double edge sword for kings fans (or at least me)...anything to get thomas' deal off the books would be great, but giving the lakers ron could put them over the top if he plays and stays in line for la...i'd take it though, kings need to rebuild...

Beno7500
07-16-2008, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't mind Artest for Howard

king4day
07-16-2008, 01:05 PM
The Rockets need to jump over a deal for Artest. He would give them the best chance to win as they would have a consistent 3rd scoring option and his defense is as good as Battier's if not better.

Also I think Phoenix should try to get him maybe in a trade for Diaw and Barbosa.

If the Suns took back back Thomas, I could see the Kings being interested.

What would the Rockets offer for him? Landry/Battier?

lakers4sho
07-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Josh Howard is a little overrated IMO

Catfish1314
07-16-2008, 01:09 PM
I'm not familiar with Howard's contract, but Odom's is nearly a 14M expiring. The Kings are not going to be good enough to make the playoffs next year. Petrie has been trying to cut cap to make a splash in free agency for 2010.

By then, Hawes will either be a solid center or a bust, Thomspon will be at least a solid PF or a bust, Kevin Martin will still be a star, and Udrih will still be a solid PG. With Brad Miller and Shareef Abdur-Rahim's contracts expiring that year, we'll have the money to add a big name free agent to that mix and be competitive again. That's why I like the Odom deal more. His contract better fits what our team is trying to do.

Ragun
07-16-2008, 01:26 PM
Raptors Where You At!

Chronz
07-16-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm not familiar with Howard's contract, but Odom's is nearly a 14M expiring. The Kings are not going to be good enough to make the playoffs next year. Petrie has been trying to cut cap to make a splash in free agency for 2010.

By then, Hawes will either be a solid center or a bust, Thomspon will be at least a solid PF or a bust, Kevin Martin will still be a star, and Udrih will still be a solid PG. With Brad Miller and Shareef Abdur-Rahim's contracts expiring that year, we'll have the money to add a big name free agent to that mix and be competitive again. That's why I like the Odom deal more. His contract better fits what our team is trying to do.

Im pretty sure your GM would rather have a player like Josh Howard signed long term to grow with Kevin Martin than to have a one year rental of Odom if that. And from what Ive heard the Lakers arent even offering Odom. And free agency isnt how Sacramento has built their teams, players dont have much interest in signing there unless its a huge payoff. Your better off having Josh Howard for SURE than risk hoping theres any players left from the 2010 bidding wars. Besides Josh Howard has a team option for that 2010 season and you could have him come off the books with Brad Miller. Its really the best deal available if all this is true.

Beno7500
07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
The Lakers are a bunche of *****es. Do they really think they can get artest without giving up odom?

Wade_County
07-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Artest for Howard works for both teams...well in my opinion

marques724
07-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I thought the kings want to be players in free agency next year. Howard still has 4 years left on his deal.

G-Funk
07-16-2008, 01:54 PM
The Kings don't even need Howard they already got have Salmons & Garcia, What they need is a low post precence who can rebound, they need an inside, out game.

Thatruth32
07-16-2008, 01:59 PM

helllllllllllllllll yea it does

Raptors27
07-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Bargnani for Artest :)

TheShock45
07-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Source: SI (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/chris_mannix/07/15/camby.reax/index.html)

I find it strange that whenever a team is considered the favorite for a player they end up going somewhere else. Gasol to the Bulls, Maggette to Spurs, Iverson to the Celtics in 2006-2007, etc.

Ivenson to the Celtics would of been scary
because they were offering the deal they got for Ray Allen plus Gerald green of Telfair (which were not big pieces in the Garnett deal)

Makes ya think how the Celtics would of been with AI, KG and pierce

also the sixers would of had the number 5 pick, pus gerald green and probly delonte west and with stefanski new style Wally would of def been trade
so where would the sixers of been if that trade happened

Anyway sorry for drifting off topic but if those Reports are true lakers can NOT be the favorite if the mavs are offering josh howard he is so much better for the rebuilding kings then lamar odom

Chronz
07-16-2008, 02:42 PM
The Kings don't even need Howard they already got have Salmons & Garcia, What they need is a low post precence who can rebound, they need an inside, out game.
That makes no sense, its because of the fact that they got Garcia and Salmons that they need Josh Howard, neither of those players come close to reaching his talent. And where would this low post presence come from?

A straight up swap fro Josh Howard is the best deal available

PHX-SOXFAN
07-16-2008, 03:30 PM
When the Lakers are the front runners for a player from the KINGS, you know it's just a matter of time until it's finished. These two teams hate each other and if they'll deal us Artest, they are clearly saying everyone else's offer blows BIG time.

I don't get why this is assumed, they don't really have a history in dealing with eachother:confused:. the lakers were also the frontrunners for KG, and a website called getgarnett.com was all that came of it.

lakersrock
07-16-2008, 03:51 PM
I don't get why this is assumed, they don't really have a history in dealing with eachother:confused:. the lakers were also the frontrunners for KG, and a website called getgarnett.com was all that came of it.

They hate each other. Remember the Queens bit from Shaq. The Maloofs said they would NEVER help LA. If they do this trade, that says a lot.

Catfish1314
07-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Im pretty sure your GM would rather have a player like Josh Howard signed long term to grow with Kevin Martin than to have a one year rental of Odom if that. And from what Ive heard the Lakers arent even offering Odom.

As a player, I prefer Howard over Odom. But if the Lakers are willing to take Kenny Thomas off our hands, then it becomes a much harder decision to choose from. If the Mavericks offer Howard, I'd love for us to take that deal.

And free agency isnt how Sacramento has built their teams, players dont have much interest in signing there unless its a huge payoff. Your better off having Josh Howard for SURE than risk hoping theres any players left from the 2010 bidding wars.

I know and I agree, but all the reports I read of the Kings last season indicated that's what Geoff Petrie is trying to do.

Besides Josh Howard has a team option for that 2010 season and you could have him come off the books with Brad Miller. Its really the best deal available if all this is true.

There's information I didn't have. In that case, I would MUCH prefer a deal for Howard than a deal for Odom.

That makes no sense, its because of the fact that they got Garcia and Salmons that they need Josh Howard, neither of those players come close to reaching his talent. And where would this low post presence come from?

When Salmons started, his numbers were close to Howard's.

If that's the deal being offered, then I agree. But if the Lakers are willing to take Thomas, it's a tough call.

_Sn1P3r_
07-16-2008, 04:42 PM
Bargnani for Artest :)

Man would I love that.

laexpress
07-16-2008, 04:55 PM
It may be a Maloofs thing with the Lakers, but prior to the Chris Webber/Vlade Divac Kings, they really didnt even exist to us. So, if THAT'S what's holding this up, then it's a Maloof's thing, not a Kings thing.

lakersrock
07-16-2008, 04:56 PM
If that's the deal being offered, then I agree. But if the Lakers are willing to take Thomas, it's a tough call.

I still think they'd prefer the expiring PF + the loss of Kenny.

Raidaz4Life
07-16-2008, 06:41 PM

I find it strange that the Kings would consider giving up one headache in Artest to acquire another headache in Josh Howard

#1Mavericksfan
07-16-2008, 06:44 PM
Josh Howard is a little overrated IMO

Please explain how Howard is overrated....

PHX-SOXFAN
07-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Please explain how Howard is overrated....

pot

BYBLOS88
07-16-2008, 07:29 PM

i think its a bad deal for the kings. howard is overrated! ron artest can win games with the ball in his hands and howard not so much.

but none of that matters cause hes heading to the good LA team sorry clips!

Kings Faithful
07-16-2008, 07:36 PM
I dont know what i want to do with Artest. Part of me wants to keep him but i dont know if he will want to play hard for us next year. If we have to trade him i hope we pick up Marion. Howard would be my second choice. Odom is still ok but the Lakers are probably trying there best to screw us so i just want avoid a trade with them.

Bizle14
07-16-2008, 07:56 PM
.... The Kings are not going to trade Ron to get someBODY of equal value in return. They are going to do the deal in order to ship KT out... Thats the prize. Not getting a player in return. The player we will get for Ron will be via free agency in 2010. Lamar will fill quite a few needs for the Kings, but the major factor is unloading that hefty contract. I wish KT wasnt in the doghouse because I think he can play WHEN HE WANTS TOO! Too many problems with coming off the bench and being told to REBOUND! I would hate to do the deal with the Lakers because it may make them better in the immediate future, but thats all it will be. The Lakers will get to rent Ron for the year, and then he will be gone to sign with another team for a max deal, which the Lakers wont be able to offer! ON the flip side, the Kings can be fun and exciting up and comers this season, and then make a HUGE splash next year!!!!

Kings Faithful
07-16-2008, 08:04 PM
I don't give a ***** about next year.... I know most people are like.. OHH THE FUTURE BLAH BLAH BLAH! I don't want to waste a whole year of my favorite thing on earth just to pick up some player in the free agency next year. The Lakers figure out a way to constantly stay good while picking up new players, and so can we even without Kobe. We just need to make the right moves.

#1Mavericksfan
07-16-2008, 08:20 PM
pot

your to trying to be funny because that didn't make any sense.

Catfish1314
07-16-2008, 08:38 PM
I don't give a ***** about next year.... I know most people are like.. OHH THE FUTURE BLAH BLAH BLAH! I don't want to waste a whole year of my favorite thing on earth just to pick up some player in the free agency next year. The Lakers figure out a way to constantly stay good while picking up new players, and so can we even without Kobe. We just need to make the right moves.

The Lakers play in Los Angeles, the City of Angels. The Kings play in Sacramento, the City of Trees. The Lakers are coached by a Hall of Famer in Phil Jackson. The Kings have gone through three coaches in three years. The Lakers roster is headlined by Kobe Bryant, the greatest in the world right now, Pau Gasol, the best basketball representative Spain has ever had, and Andrew Bynum, a center with possibly the most potential of any player in the NBA. The Kings roster is headlined by Ron Artest, a certified lunatic, Kenny Thomas, an eight million dollar bench ornament, and Quincy Douby, a shooter who can't shoot.

Where would you rather play?

lorenz00
07-16-2008, 08:42 PM
he should go to the raptors!

amos1er
07-16-2008, 09:25 PM
Please don't **** this one up Mitch.

G-Funk
07-16-2008, 11:31 PM

WTF listen to yourself! It's obvious that you don't know **** about the Kings, Garcia is a great role player and Salmons can be a guy who can get you atleast 15 pts per game, along side with K-MArt you don't need another perimeter player, what they need is a PF/C and the Kings need to prepare themselfs to go after Chris Bosh or Amare in 2010 and don't give me that ******** that they won't go play in sactown enought players have proved that money talks in the NBA.

Also how the **** does Howard make any sence if that loser is a weed head and threw eveyone under the bus.

Chronz
07-17-2008, 02:25 AM
WTF listen to yourself! It's obvious that you don't know **** about the Kings,
Ima show you why your wrong with your own argument

Garcia is a great role player

and Salmons can be a guy who can get you atleast 15 pts per game,
But he hasnt and neither are all-stars and none are the defensive caliber of Howard.

along side with K-MArt you don't need another perimeter player
You know, youve done a piss poor job of proving this as a fact to be passing it off as one

what they need is a PF/C and the Kings need to prepare themselfs to go after Chris Bosh or Amare in 2010
How does this move affect their 2010 plan?

and don't give me that bull**** that they won't go play in sactown enought players have proved that money talks in the NBA.

Its not bull**** look at how the great Kings teams were built. Whos the biggest free agent theyve ever gotten? And yes money talks thats why if you had read my post you wouldve saw me say "unless you overpay" and that hypothetical player may not even be as good as Josh Howard.

Also how the **** does Howard make any sence if that loser is a weed head and threw eveyone under the bus.
Because hes the best available guy and fits a need perfectly. Pairing him with Kevin Martin and developing them together is a good way to start turning your team around. Their games compliment each others very well.

dodie53
07-17-2008, 07:52 AM
come to the suns artest!

FromDallas
07-17-2008, 02:55 PM

It was reported on Dallas radio today that the Kings turned down a deal of Bass & Stackhouse for Artest

FromDallas
07-17-2008, 02:59 PM

Howard never threw anyone under the bus. He is a weed head though, as is about 90% of the NBA (including Lamar Odom). The problem with Howard is not that he is a weed head it's the fact that he was dumb enough to go on national radio and say that he smokes weed.

Vidball
07-17-2008, 03:04 PM
.... The Kings are not going to trade Ron to get someBODY of equal value in return. They are going to do the deal in order to ship KT out... Thats the prize. Not getting a player in return. The player we will get for Ron will be via free agency in 2010. Lamar will fill quite a few needs for the Kings, but the major factor is unloading that hefty contract. I wish KT wasnt in the doghouse because I think he can play WHEN HE WANTS TOO! Too many problems with coming off the bench and being told to REBOUND! I would hate to do the deal with the Lakers because it may make them better in the immediate future, but thats all it will be. The Lakers will get to rent Ron for the year, and then he will be gone to sign with another team for a max deal, which the Lakers wont be able to offer! ON the flip side, the Kings can be fun and exciting up and comers this season, and then make a HUGE splash next year!!!!

:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:
The Kings can't even get any solid offers for him.