PDA

View Full Version : Dontrelle Changing Delivery

evd81
07-16-2008, 11:51 AM
I think this is a really good thing:

http://www.hardballreport.com/content/view/1312/68/

I always wondered how Dontrelle was able to control his pitches with his delivery, and apparently he's trying to change it to improve his command. What do you all think? Is this a good move for Dontrelle, and will he ever return to the team?

levignjw
07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I think this is definitely a good move for Dontrelle if he ever expects to make it back as a starter...the one day on ESPN they were showing the differences between his leg kick the year he almost won the cy young for the marlins and then compared it to his present leg kick...there were huge differences because he is too out of shape to get his leg as high as he used to. So, IMO he either needs to get back into shape or scrap the leg kick entirely to help him with his command

SportsFan1988
07-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Hm..very interesting.

I'm excited to see how this will effect his game now, if it doesn't work out, you guys can always send him over to St.Louis, and Dave Duncan can take care of him. :D

smarkow
07-16-2008, 03:57 PM
I think he needs to do both of the following: get back in shape AND change his delivery.

Jonathan2323
07-17-2008, 01:59 AM
I hope he pitches good again this guy has one of the best characters

Dalionking
07-17-2008, 11:27 AM
just give him a bat or let him keep eating himself into bartolo colons twin

blujaysrock
07-17-2008, 11:33 AM
that sucks, i always have admired dontrelles unique delivery

TheRedMarauder
07-18-2008, 02:36 PM
Dontrelle Willis allowed one run in three innings in a Class A start on Thursday.

Most importantly, he didn't walk any batters. Willis was said to be altering his mechanics prior to the All-Star break, but he has plenty to prove control wise before the Tigers consider bringing him back up.

rotoworld

stanpapi
07-19-2008, 12:58 AM
He does have to prove his control. Not sure what the solution is. If he's healthy, or can get healthy, he should be able to turn it around. Of course, he might just have some pitcher's form of Chuck Knoblauch disease (I mean, a head thing), and I don't know what you do about that. But if he can't turn it around, this will be one of the biggest busts ever for the $30-million snack bracket.

smarkow
07-19-2008, 01:52 PM
i'm not sure he's the kind of guy to have the knoblauch disease. Dontrelle is so easy going. If his control problems extend, who knows, but for now, i think he's fine.
First things first, i don't really care how many hits he's giving up. If they're hitting his pitches, that means he's throwing strikes, which at this point is the most important thing. What would bother me is if he's consistently walking guys.

stanpapi
07-19-2008, 03:32 PM
I think anyone is capable of getting Knoblauch disease. Get in a bad rut, can't stop making the same mistake, whatever. I'm not saying that's his problem, but it's a strong candidate. Either he's too fat (lotta Tigers have that problem), his head's wrong, or he's worn down already. Only other thing I can think of is that he might be hurt, but he didn't get hurt until after ST, and he was already wild by then.