PDA

View Full Version : Delfino signs with Russian Team

Bob_at_york
07-16-2008, 09:34 AM
Little bit of good news for Raptors fans in there:

It hasnt been announced yet which is why you folks are so darn lucky but Carlos Delfino, Im told, is heading to Russia.

Im guessing hes getting something in the neighbourhood of $5 million a season over there, which is far more than any legit offer he got from the NBA.

Whats it mean for the Raptors? Nothing, really.

They retain his rights for as long as the qualifying offer (about $2.7 million) is on the table (a year) but its not included in the calculation of the NBAs tax.

I heard Carlos had a couple of offers in the NBA the most significant coming from Detroit but that the money wasnt close to what he wanted.

Link: http://thestar.blogs.com/raptors/

So by giving Carlos the QO, the Raptors retain his rights. If he kicks major *** over there and wants to come back around the age of 28 (in his prime) we can either keep him or S&T him.

TDotzFinest
07-16-2008, 10:07 AM
since it doesn't affect our cap, could we use that 2 million and change to sign a nother body or two?:clap:

Bob_at_york
07-16-2008, 10:26 AM
since it doesn't affect our cap, could we use that 2 million and change to sign a nother body or two?:clap:

The Raptors planned on having this happen, this doesn't change their financial plan for the upcoming season.

blujaysrock
07-16-2008, 10:54 AM
this is great hopfully he does go over there and puts up huge numbers , comes back and we can s&t him ,

RapsFan4Life
07-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I dont think Carlos cares about money as much as he cares about winning and that does not mean on the bench he is a skilled player not a star but capable of being a premier 6th man .... no team has space for him to make an impact and give him 20-25 min ... thats the reason he is leaving ... ill miss him but dont blame him

np6526
07-16-2008, 12:59 PM
He was garbage in NBA 2K8. But he was fun to watch when his shot was dropping in real life. I'll miss him to a degree..:D

blujaysrock
07-16-2008, 01:00 PM
He was garbage in NBA 2K8. But he was fun to watch when his shot was dropping in real life. I'll miss him to a degree..:D

all raptors we're garbage in 2k8 except for bosh

Cortez
07-16-2008, 01:07 PM
no big loss
i hated the way he jacked up all those shoots in the fourth

Mile High Champ
07-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Im really dissapointed we could not bring him back into the fold. I hope Joey G can fill the void. I know he has the potential, just has to realize it.

Raptors27
07-16-2008, 01:59 PM
At least we have the option to sign and trade him later on..

baileybwoy
07-16-2008, 02:00 PM
I'm just going to put my fingers in my ears and hope this isn't true. I really was hoping he'd resign with us.

Kontent
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Delfino was one of my favourites last season. I wish him the best of luck in Russia!

The Wise 1
07-16-2008, 05:19 PM
He was terribly overrated. That said, he was probably our 2nd best wing on the team right behind Parker.

_Sn1P3r_
07-16-2008, 07:46 PM
Best of luck in Russia, Delfino.

star
07-16-2008, 09:36 PM
I didnt rally behind TJ. I simply defended him. Please quote me on something I said about TJ that is wrong, or anything that I have said. You werent the only one who thought TJ was going to get traded so maybe you should get off your high horse? What were my dumb beliefs?

Delfino is overrated because his defence is overrated. There are a ton of 2's and 3's who could come in and do what Delfino did if given the minutes.

Also, could you get off my jock? This is like the 4th time you have come out of no where to attack me on something thats not even being discussed in the topic.

I dont expect you to reply to this because, like all the other times you have attacked me, you seem to disappear after I prove you wrong.

Why bother responding to a person of his elk?

Bramaca
07-16-2008, 10:54 PM
So by giving Carlos the QO, the Raptors retain his rights. If he kicks major *** over there and wants to come back around the age of 28 (in his prime) we can either keep him or S&T him.

Giving him the Qualifying offer only retains his rights for the next year, the Raps can keep his rights longer then that but they would have to submit a new QO each year in order to retain his rights. I'd guess that the Raps will just let it lapse next offseason.

da1nonly
07-16-2008, 11:06 PM
i didn't like his ill advised shots... but he was a decent slasher, would hit the odd 3, good rebounder and played a little bit of the banging style the raptors lacked... he could also play a little pg if needed... i wish he would've stayed... good luck to him...

JWalk126
07-16-2008, 11:07 PM
I just read up on this. he signed with Khimky Moscow

I posted one time that Malaga had signed Garbo, but apparently he is still a free agent

JermanJaysFan
07-16-2008, 11:41 PM
As I have said before, I really liked Carlos' game, but he just isn't worth this much to the Raptors, so there really isn't any option but to say so long.

lapeapod
07-16-2008, 11:50 PM
I just don't get why the Raptors didn't pull their qualifying offer on Delfino once they signed Jermaine O'Neal and Hassan Adams. It's pretty clear from Doug Smith's blog that Carlos was not in the Raptors plans for the future so they should just let him be a free agent.

I'm glad for Carlos but I really liked watching him play he was so entertaining. So now I'll have to find a new favorite NBA player and keep track of Carlos via the web.

I still hold out a small hope that the article with the signing is not quite a done deal and the agent for Delfino is using the Russian team to drive up Delfino's price a bit. With Posey signing with New Orleans I could see the Celtics wanting Delfino to anchor the second unit.

ink
07-17-2008, 11:40 AM
I just don't get why the Raptors didn't pull their qualifying offer on Delfino once they signed Jermaine O'Neal and Hassan Adams. It's pretty clear from Doug Smith's blog that Carlos was not in the Raptors plans for the future so they should just let him be a free agent.

I'm glad for Carlos but I really liked watching him play he was so entertaining. So now I'll have to find a new favorite NBA player and keep track of Carlos via the web.

I still hold out a small hope that the article with the signing is not quite a done deal and the agent for Delfino is using the Russian team to drive up Delfino's price a bit. With Posey signing with New Orleans I could see the Celtics wanting Delfino to anchor the second unit.

Why not get behind another Raptor player and keep posting in this forum. Your posts are always insightful and we can never have enough of that in a good forum.

Bob_at_york
07-17-2008, 12:24 PM

This is like the second or third time you have said this. The QO did not effect Delfino in any way except technically gave him a chance to stay in the NBA if he wanted to. He could have signed with any team, the Raptors would have let him go. Really in the end, I think they offered the QO because of the exact situation right now. They can retain his rights if they chose to. If he decided to sign with another NBA team than the Raptors would have wished him luck but he went overseas and now the Raptors have more options when it comes to Delfino.

Fion
07-17-2008, 02:02 PM
good luck to him there.

Raptors27
07-17-2008, 05:20 PM
I like the fact that we can sign and trade him later on.

Bob_at_york
07-24-2008, 11:45 AM
Sources say Delfino will be earning nearly 3 million euros annually -- tax free, of course -- with his new club. One expert on the matter says that equates to an NBA salary of more than $9 million when you factor in the exchange rate and the tax money Delfino won't have to give back.

At no time since his arrival on these shores in 2004, obviously, has Delfino been anything close to a $9 million player in the NBA.

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=stein_marc&page=NBA-Notes-080719

I didn't know it came out to that much.

Raptors27
07-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Wow, 9 Million a Year. I don't blame him for going over. Tripled his salray.

Daboyz
07-24-2008, 01:49 PM
The reason why we qualified him is that we still own his rights and the player can be traded as part of a trade based on the qualifying offer. So let me give you an example:

Toronto at the deadline needs to bolster it's wing man position. Miami stinks so bad that Shawn Marion wants out. Miami wants youth and expiring contracts from the Raps to consumate a deal.

So Toronto offers Graham (Expiring), Delfino rights (expiring), and a 2nd in 2009, and a lottery protected 1st in 2010. Boom we have Shawn Marion in our starting lineup for a playoff drive with really only giving up 2 picks.

Still hate the reason why T.O qualified???? Just so you know the deal works out for cap reasons as well. Not saying it is going to happen. But wouldn't that be sweet.

Bob_at_york
07-24-2008, 01:58 PM
I don't think his "rights" count financially in a trade unless he signs an NBA contract.