PDA

View Full Version : Players who impressed

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-16-2008, 07:29 AM
I know a lot of people on this forum enjoy watching baseball but theres a lot of players we dont get to see much outside of the 6-7 games we see them each year and I was just wondering who everyone enjoyed watching. Hopefully it gives a little discussion to hold us over till the next series.
For me some of the guys were

Russel Martin-I've always known he was good GG winner etc but he made some great blocks at the plate and seemed to do a great job calling the game.

Miguel Tejada-Made a great play from short and had some heads up base running to give us the lead

Nate McClouth-Although he didn't look like he hurried to throw the ball he threw a one hopper to home to gun out the winning run and ran out that Sac bunt.

turnaround3
07-16-2008, 07:34 AM
When Marmol K'd Quentin, that was the highlight of my night.

I liked seeing Holliday give a big "**** You" to everyone who says he's nothing away from Coors, including myself.

When Papelbon struck out David Wright to silence 40-50 thousand New Yorkers chanting "Ove-er-rate-ed" that was pretty cool as well. And as much as I hate Tim McCarver, he had a pretty cool line when Pap got the K:

"Johnathon Papelbon right now telling anyone who says he's overrated: Grab a bat."

hoosiercubsfan
07-16-2008, 08:45 AM
When Marmol K'd Quentin, that was the highlight of my night.

I liked seeing Holliday give a big "**** You" to everyone who says he's nothing away from Coors, including myself.

When Papelbon struck out David Wright to silence 40-50 thousand New Yorkers chanting "Ove-er-rate-ed" that was pretty cool as well. And as much as I hate Tim McCarver, he had a pretty cool line when Pap got the K:

"Johnathon Papelbon right now telling anyone who says he's overrated: Grab a bat."

That was probably my favorite line of the night. That and man did Papelbon look damn scar when he go that stare before he threw a pitch. Almost looked like h became possessed or something before he threw his pitch.

canigetawitness
07-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Holliday, Hanley Ramirez going the other way with authority, Mariano Rivera always impresses me and he was the only reason I continued watching in the 9th and 10th since I rarely get to see him.

But all hail to DEMP! That's my man and hopefully he can keep it up for us. I really don't see him faltering too much. Striking out the side, that's a good way to leave an impression.

Ultimately, I am still pissed that we lost AGAIN. The f'ing game must be fixed or something. I really despise the AL.

cubswoo
07-16-2008, 09:22 AM
Aaron Cook and George Sherrill
I probably couldn't pick either of those guys out of a lineup unless they are in full uniform but they both proved worthy all star selections and stuck it out longer than they should have been out there pitching.

drumr470
07-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Dan Uggla - His solid defense and ability to hit with RISP

Corey Hart - The strong arm he displayed

tking08
07-16-2008, 09:40 AM

Couldn't agree more...

CubbieSteve
07-16-2008, 12:03 PM
I was impressed with Cliff Lee and Joe Saunders. I haven't seen them pitch much at all but they were really good.

scrubs101
07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Longoria continues to impress me

Matchstckman
07-16-2008, 01:04 PM
Aramis impressed. Taking a walk. His ASG OBP is through the roof.

MrPoon
07-16-2008, 01:17 PM
i really enjoyed all the pitching. It almost seemed like just about every pitcher brought his "A" stuff and it was incredible to watch each side mow the other one down in the late innings. Demp threw amazing, marmol looked nasty, sherrill was awesome, rivera's cutter was just jaw dropping, cook stayed cool under enormous pressure (all those ground outs!!), even kazmir looked pretty good after throwing 104 on sunday....barely two days rest. it was a super fun game to watch, one of the better games in recent memory.

CHICAGOSTYLE
07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
i'm extremely impressed by the media's ability to verbally give oral sex to the city of new york and the yankees.

MisterF
07-16-2008, 10:35 PM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::c lap::clap::clap:

Theriot2
07-16-2008, 10:37 PM
Dempster and Holliday. Also when Papelbon silenced about 20,000 or more pissed off Yankees fans.

Knuckles
07-17-2008, 12:54 AM
Dempster! Why is it noone talks about the fact that he pitched Sunday!? It's been said I don't know how many times how Webb and Kazmir piched Sunday, so did Demp! Where's the concern for his health?

WOwolfOL
07-18-2008, 03:27 AM
People keep saying Cook but he was completely saved by McClouth's throw! The guy had like a 2.0 whip for the game, what the hell...

croce_99
07-18-2008, 04:45 AM
People keep saying Cook but he was completely saved by McClouth's throw! The guy had like a 2.0 whip for the game, what the hell...

Lets not forget 2 of his baserunners were because of the intentional walk.
He pitched great and had horrible defense behind him. When he needed the ground ball, he got it every time.

The game should have been over with the bases loaded and 0 (1?) out for the AL. Cook got out of it though