PDA

View Full Version : Shareef may be done

Beno7500
07-16-2008, 04:12 AM
LAS VEGAS Quite a few processes are going on here for Shareef Abdur-Rahim. And none are all that pleasant.

The Kings forward, who underwent his second arthroscopic surgery in six months on his right knee in early December, knows this could be the twilight of his career. It has been a process to cite "old age" as a factor when you're 31, especially for a 12-year veteran who spent most of his career as one of the league's steadiest contributors. It has been a process returning to practice at all, but he did for the first time Sunday, joining the Kings' summer league team at UNLV.

The process, however arduous, is not yet over.

"(Sunday) was the most I've done (since the second surgery)," Abdur-Rahim said by phone. "I've been on the court doing a lot of drills running and stuff three times a week. I try to do something five times a week. It's hit and miss sometimes, I won't lie."

Because he knows there's no reason to.

"I think at the end of the day with something like this, it'll make the decision for you," he said. "Anyone's body is only going to let you do what it's going to let you do. That's the thing. I haven't really mentally started adjusting to (the notion of retirement) and thinking like that. I guess my body will let me know."

And the Kings, too, of course. Three years after the Kings signed him to a five-year, $29.3 million deal, Abdur-Rahim feels obliged to give more than he has. That sentiment fits his reputation as a quality character who has won over so many within the Kings organization and the league at large. And therein lies the harsh irony.

The best outcome for the Kings would be for Abdur-Rahim to retire, as his contract (two years and $12.8 million) is insured. Although Abdur-Rahim still would be paid in full, the Kings would see his money come off a salary cap figure that is pushing the luxury tax threshold of $71.15 million.

Given the Kings' situation a youth movement and rebuilding Abdur-Rahim might not have been a major part of their plans even with a full recovery. A roster that was forward-heavy with Abdur-Rahim and Kenny Thomas now is tipping the scales at that position. There's starter Mikki Moore, draft pick Jason Thompson and the possibility second-round pick Patrick Ewing Jr. could make the team.

Above all, there's Abdur-Rahim's pride.

"The most frustrating thing is that it's like, What exactly did I do to get to this point other than run up and down the court the last 20 years of my life?" he said.

" My thing is to gear in and try to give myself the best possible opportunity to be healthy and get back on the court and do what I love doing and contribute to the team."

Abdur-Rahim said his right knee's future is uncertain.

"For the most part, it's been steady," he said. "I was able to get out there and practice with them and go up and down," he said. "It's just to keep working and see how things progress and how the knee responds to the workload that's expected of us."

Sacbee

wvphil
07-16-2008, 04:54 PM
I like guys who can get T'd up with their jaw wired shut. Go in peace young man. Tis time.

Beno7500
07-16-2008, 04:55 PM
What?

DerekRE_3
07-16-2008, 04:58 PM
I remember that.

I like Shareef I think he's a good guy but his body is used up. It's a win win situation if he retires. He still gets his money but the Kings free up cap space.

wvphil
07-16-2008, 04:59 PM
What?

When SAR was playing with his jaw wired shut he was called for a Tech. I like that. The rest was wishing him bon voyage, it's time.

Catfish1314
07-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I really like Shareef. I thought what he brought to this team the first two years was very underrated. In the 2006 series against the Spurs he held his own against Duncan and had a 26 point game against them once I believe.

He played in quite a few games with his jaw wired shut knowing if he got hit the wrong way, it could severely and possibly permanently damage his jaw.

I wish he could come back and teach Hawes and Thompson a little bit but from the looks of this article, he's done.

jmtapia
07-17-2008, 01:04 AM
Are there insurance polices that cover injured player salaries??? I know this is the case with MLB not sure about NBA though.

wvphil
07-17-2008, 02:13 AM
Insurance covers the players salary if Medical retirement is approved. And their salary comes off the cap.

DerekRE_3
07-17-2008, 02:39 AM
There is a clause in his contract about a career ending injury. The money he makes won't count against the cap if he retires.

BigEric
07-17-2008, 03:49 AM
I love that clause, retire Shareef!

Countdown
07-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Would you guys trade him if doesn't retire?

Toronto gets
Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Sacromento gets
Kris Humphires
Joey Graham

maybe Toronto can also get a draft pick if Shareef doesn't play like 65 games.

IndyFan
07-17-2008, 11:20 AM
Insurance covers the players salary if Medical retirement is approved. And their salary comes off the cap.

teams are on the hook for one year of salary. and on the salary cap. after that insurance and he comes off the cap. so this year counts, but next year doesn't.

:)

Beno7500
07-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Would you guys trade him if doesn't retire?

Toronto gets
Shareef Abdur-Rahim

Sacromento gets
Kris Humphires
Joey Graham

maybe Toronto can also get a draft pick if Shareef doesn't play like 65 games.

Are those contracts expiring?

Countdown
07-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Are those contracts expiring?

Joey Graham's contract this year(about 2.4 mill), Humphries has more year(about 3.4 mill).

I don't think Raptors fans would even mind if we could trade those 2 for Kenny Thomas, but we would want Ron Artest.

Is it true your GM is looking to package the 2?

Randy West
07-17-2008, 07:50 PM
SAR was a heck of a player in his day

I liked the guy since he was at Cal

Goodluck with whatever you decide Shareef