PDA

View Full Version : Lohse extension?

redbird89
07-16-2008, 03:45 AM
There are rumors that Lohse may want to sign an extension before the year is over.

So:
a) should the Cardinals do it?
b) will they?
c) how much?
d) how many years?

If you find any news or speculations, you can post them here. Some rumor sites may be somewhat false, though, so unless from a varified source, take anything with a grain of salt.

natepro
07-16-2008, 09:48 AM
I don't know who else they've really got, so they may as well do it while they have him here and he seems to be enjoying himself.

I would say no more than 2 years. A 30 year old pitcher having a career year is not exactly someone you want to be committed to long-term.

Tragedy
07-16-2008, 10:15 AM
a) should the Cardinals do it?
If they can, absolutely. He's going to continue being good under the watch of Duncan. This has the Weaver season written all over it (If he goes somewhere else, he goes back to being average).

b) will they?
I think he could test the waters considering who his agent is.

c) how much?
$20 million.

d) how many years?

Lohse was an afterthought for Boras last offseason - Boras was cocky and didn't bother to discuss Lohse much with teams while he had A-Rod/others on the market. Lohse should not allow Boras to make this same mistake again. He should instead force Boras to discuss an extension with the Cardinals, the best thing possible for him.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-16-2008, 10:32 AM
I'd wait to see if he can keep this up...

chicagofan71
07-16-2008, 10:48 AM
I wouldn't....he's gonna ask for close to 8 or 9 million, and 3 years and he's not worth it. You have no idea how he's gonna do next year, unless you rely on Duncan to work his magic. I wouldn't :shrug:

Kyle man
07-16-2008, 10:55 AM
I'd give him 2 with an option... for anywhere from $15-$25M

JayhawkWild
07-16-2008, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't....he's gonna ask for close to 8 or 9 million, and 3 years and he's not worth it. You have no idea how he's gonna do next year, unless you rely on Duncan to work his magic. I wouldn't :shrug:

Because that's never worked before or anything...

I'd sign him for 10 mil over 2-3 years. Say what you want about him not being able to repeat this performance, but one thing you can't argue is the fact that he's on the hill every 5th day. He's an innings eater, and I really believe guys like that are underrated today, especially in the pitcher's market.

Cub_StuckinSTL
07-16-2008, 11:26 AM

I'd sign him for 10 mil over 2-3 years. Say what you want about him not being able to repeat this performance, but one thing you can't argue is the fact that he's on the hill every 5th day. He's an innings eater, and I really believe guys like that are underrated today, especially in the pitcher's market.

Plus theres going to be a strong market of pitchers out there this year headlined by the CC and Sheets bidding war that should help the cards sign him. But I mean he could see dollar signs look at all the pitchers Duncan got paid....

natepro
07-16-2008, 11:28 AM

You can't even say he's an innings eater. Number of times he's pitched 200 innings in a season? 1. 2003 he pitched 201.0 innings. He's been an extremely average to below average pitcher his entire career, and only now is having a career year. That's a dangerous thing to lock up for more than a couple years.

natepro
07-16-2008, 11:32 AM
unless you rely on Duncan to work his magic. I wouldn't :shrug:

I'm with you, actually. There's a long list of pitchers that didn't get a big enough dose of the Duncan "magic." Looking back on Lohse's career doesn't give me a lot of confidence that he's going to be one of the lucky ones.

nstachowski
07-16-2008, 11:43 AM
I dont think that we should offer him too much because i dont think that he will have another year close to this one. I think that they should instead try to get one of the top FA starting pitchers

Vegasguy80
07-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Mr. Know It Al..

Yes
Yes
$12 mill
2 years

Vegasguy80
07-16-2008, 12:13 PM
I dont think that we should offer him too much because i dont think that he will have another year close to this one. I think that they should instead try to get one of the top FA starting pitchers

It's not just this year. It was the final 10 games of last year too. He corrected something in his mechanics and has turned into a decent pitcher.

CardzRule
07-16-2008, 12:16 PM
I say sign him for 2 years, and either trade him or lock him up based on his success early next season.

SportsFan1988
07-16-2008, 01:31 PM
There might be a little to question in doing this, but hell, I say go for it. He has had an amazing year for us, and has really helped this team stay in the race...therefore he deserves an extension.

natepro
07-16-2008, 01:54 PM
It's not just this year. It was the final 10 games of last year too. He corrected something in his mechanics and has turned into a decent pitcher.

Really?

In the last game of the season he came in from the bullpen and only pitched one inning, so let's throw that out the window.

In his final ten starts of the year:

He pitched 57.2 innings, gave up 60 hits, 6 HR, and posted an ERA of 4.68 over those 10 games.

His career ERA is 4.69.

He did exactly 0.01 better over his last 10 starts of last season.

rick66ankiel24
07-16-2008, 03:03 PM
i think that we should wait and see how the 2nd half of the season goes... he had a good 1st half but is just a year removed from a .500 season w/ a era over 5.. but if he ends up the season w/ 16+ wins and an era under 4 then i think we will get him for sure
3 years w/ team option 4th yr for $18 million

AlbertTheKing23
07-16-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm sorry but have you guys been watching him pitch? It's either we extend him now or we're gonna get some second-rate garbage heap pitcher through free agency like we always do. Do you think DeWitt's gonna pony up 15-20 a year for Sabathia, Sheets, Burnett, or Garland? They always said Lohse had potential and i think this is another of Duncan's projects that have paid off. He's said he likes St. Louis and would like to stay. When he's pitched, he's been painting the corners with all of his pitches and his control has been excellent. IDK, but this doesn't look like a one-year thing to me. He's said the earlier they come to him for an extension, the better. and unfortunately the price will be more along the lines of 3-4y at 8-9 million a year

natepro
07-16-2008, 04:05 PM
How can you say if it is or isn't a one year thing when it hasn't even been a year? He had a 5.66 ERA in May. We're talking like 15 good starts here, for a guy that's been in the majors going on 8 years now. I'm not saying don't extend the guy, I don't really know what other options you have, but 4 years is too much on what can only be a question mark right now.

redbird89
07-16-2008, 04:40 PM
I wonder if he'll turn out like Jeff Weaver.

We offered him a 2-year deal. He and Boras turned it down. Weaver pitched in Seattle one-year for more money and tanked. Where is he now? Cleveland on a minor-league contract, after he couldn't cut it in the Brewers minor-leagues.

Shlumpledink
07-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Do it!

Degz
07-16-2008, 05:16 PM
He rejected 3 years 21M from the Phils last year. Lohse has been great this year, and I can only imagine he is going to want more than that now. There was an article on Phillies.com last week and Lohse was interviwed and said he wouldnt mind returning to Philly next year. If he keeps pitching this well... He's gonna get paid.

stlfan544
07-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Yes the Cardinals definitely should look into signing Lohse to an extension ASAP. Before his value goes any higher than it is. Otherwise we might as well forget about it because we can't win a bidding war, we all know that.

redbird89
07-16-2008, 05:24 PM
Signing pitchers to long contracts doesn't always work well right away (see Carpenter). Yea, Carpenter should be good sometime this year, but we signed him a big contract and we've paid him for a year-and-a-half of rehab.

I'm weary about giving pitchers long contracts. Time more than money concern me.

Degz
07-16-2008, 05:32 PM
Yes the Cardinals definitely should look into signing Lohse to an extension ASAP. Before his value goes any higher than it is. Otherwise we might as well forget about it because we can't win a bidding war, we all know that.

I really think he is going to come back to Earth with his numbers. I would wait to resign him. It would be tough to sign him anyway with what he may be commanding right now, which is why he might try to get something done ASAP. Signing pitchers is always risky business, especially trying to lock up a guy who is having a career year.

Tkais9009
07-16-2008, 06:47 PM
He rejected 3 years 21M from the Phils last year. Lohse has been great this year, and I can only imagine he is going to want more than that now. There was an article on Phillies.com last week and Lohse was interviwed and said he wouldnt mind returning to Philly next year. If he keeps pitching this well... He's gonna get paid.

he wanted between 7-10 million last year cause he was one of the "best" SP that were FA. Now he doesn't even hit the top ten or even fifteen SP FA. I think 5-6 million a year is very resonable

ehmiu
07-16-2008, 11:30 PM
If we lose a lot of games over the next week and fall out of the Wildcard lead, then they might look to trading him to a contender for some Grade A prospects.

I hope it doesn't happen considering Kyle and I preached signing him throughout the offseason, but I'm not going to pretend that we might not deal him.

cardinal27
07-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Boras wanted 5/50 for him last season. best offer he got 3/25 from phils he held out until march took 4+ from us.
this off season boras will want 5/60.
remember waino and carp will be back.

SportsFan1988
07-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Boras wanted 5/50 for him last season. best offer he got 3/25 from phils he held out until march took 4+ from us.
this off season boras will want 5/60.
remember waino and carp will be back.

Yeah and a rotation of Carp, Waino and Lohse would be just great. We can't always take the easy way out on things and hope a rotation of two good starters and 3 decent starters (at best) will be enough, no it's not like that anymore, the divison is getting better and better, and were not gonna be able to just slide away with it anymore, we need to IMPROVE.