PDA

View Full Version : Should we trade for Maddux?

310Casper
07-16-2008, 02:37 AM
According to www.dodgerupdates.com, Maddux would like to be a dodger and the Pads are looking to deal him in the next few days. He'd make a great 5 spot guy in the rotation and would mentor our young pitchers (Bills, Kershaw, Stults, Brox) , etc.. I think Ned should look into this and perhaps give him a pitching coach contract come this offseason!

darth550
07-16-2008, 02:38 AM
I think Ned should look into this and perhaps give him a pitching coach contract come this offseason!

Or trade Honeycutt for him now!

bestlakersfan
07-16-2008, 02:44 AM
^^

HAHAHA... I'd do it in a heartbeat.

But seriously, if the asking price is wayyy low, go for it. Nothing beyond a mid-level AA prospect.

grizz8884
07-16-2008, 02:58 AM
So the Roto would look like:

Lowe
Bills
Kuroda
Maddox?
Park

...With Penny and Stults on the edge? Is Penny still injured, I've been on a week hiatus:confused:

dodgerfan87
07-16-2008, 03:33 AM
Sounds good to me! It wouldn't hurt to get another starting pitcher on our squad! Remember, you can NEVER have enough pitching!

N.Z's #1 Dodger
07-16-2008, 03:35 AM
Hmm I would love his presence, but **** hate to say it, but we have better options. And with him only able to go to like the 6th inning at best, puts a lot of stress on a Saitoless bully.

DodgerHawk
07-16-2008, 10:12 AM
Does anyone know how much longer Maddux wants to pitch or if he's interested in coaching/managing when he's done?

It would be good to get Maddux back as a pitcher/mentor for the rest of this season, but it's a total no-brainer if we knew he would then stick around to work with Dodger pitchers once he retires.

agureghian
07-16-2008, 10:21 AM
why would the padres, trade inside the division?

they would never do that.

darth550
07-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Signature Colletti move. Get a guy for a low level prospect(s) so we all can say it didn't cost much in talent or break up the core... a la Berroa.

Gutless with a justifiable downside.

The 6-4-3
07-16-2008, 11:16 AM
...now havent we talked about this a couple of years ago.

why get maddux now?

dan1to
07-16-2008, 11:44 AM
So the Roto would look like:

Lowe
Bills
Kuroda
Maddox?
Park

...With Penny and Stults on the edge? Is Penny still injured, I've been on a week hiatus:confused:

The rotation would actually probably look like this...

Lowe, Billingsley, Kuroda, Maddux, Kershaw ... with Park in the pen as a setup man or closer. Im hoping Kuo's glass arm does not get put in the setup role even though he has does great as a long man.

When Penny comes back (if?) Kershaw would be in the pen.

AZDodgersFan
07-16-2008, 11:48 AM
If Colletti and company were to trade for Maddux from the Padres. This would allow Torre and company to move Lowe to the closer position and fill the back end of the bullpen. With Maddux taking Lowe position in the rotation, and this would still allow for Penny and Kershaw to come up and work in the rotation with Schmidt working out of the pen when he is ready.

As for Maddux, he has a complete no trade clause and would waive the no trade for being traded to the Dodgers or Braves. The Braves are not interested, and up till now the Dodgers have shown only mild interest. Maddux would be a huge pick-up for the second half for the Dodgers pitching staff.

Just some thoughts to think about

southerndodgerf
07-16-2008, 12:17 PM
I have another suggestion. Maddux or Penny in the closers role. Penny's issue is not his velocity. If he is back, let him air it out for one--he has the offspeed stuff for out pitches. It also gives him a chance to heal.

BlueMouse
07-16-2008, 12:23 PM
http://red21001.betsports.hop.clickbank.net/ (http://*******.net/)

SOB!!! This guy hasn't been banned yet?

NomarsOnlyHR
07-16-2008, 01:05 PM
No thanks.

mcpeepants23200
07-16-2008, 01:25 PM
I agree no Maddux. He's just not that good anymore.

MrChris951
07-16-2008, 01:35 PM
If the price isn't to high I say bring him on board

dodgerdave
07-16-2008, 01:35 PM
If Maddux wants to stay in Southern California, I think the Angels might be a better fit for Maddux. Maddux should get off his high horse when he says that he's not open to pitching for AL teams.

Az_Dodgers_Fan
07-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Normally the Pads wouldnt trade in division, but in a case like this they might. It would be something good to show vets who might want to sign there in the future that if things arent going good, they will still do good by the players.

vader
07-16-2008, 02:15 PM
the only reason why the PAds would trade him within the division is because they're about to be sellers. so if they can shed some salary and get a prospect out of it, i think they would.

i'm all for maddux. i know he's not what he was even 2 years ago, but his presence makes up for it to the rest of the club.

no way he or penny goes into the closer role. that's gonna be the OX. maddux would basically be an insurance to penny and schmidt not making a full recovery. kershaw to the pen and spot start. park to the pen for long relief. he's good at that.

Tapptout
07-16-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't like the idea of Lowe being our closer being replaced by Maddux in the rotation. Lowe eats up innings for us which doesn't tax our bullpen which is what we need especially without Saito. Maddux would do the opposite.

dave
07-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Padres want to trade him, But Maddux has final say and will only pitch on the west coast. A's, Giant's? i don't think so. angels? They are all ready loaded in the pitching dept. That leaves us as the only choice and perhaps we could pick him up fairly cheap? [two good prospects?]

If we do pick him up we might be then be able to trade lowe and penny for a bat or two? Especialy if kershaw is sucesfull!

310Casper
07-22-2008, 06:16 PM
Lowe as our closer? wow, waste of $.

Cracka2HI!
We should have never let him go.

THINKBLUE15
IDK. I'm still hesitent about trading Lowe. I really don't care if it is his walk year. We need him down the stretch (Lowe).
But I do kind of like the sound of brining in Maddux if he could be had for cheap. Pitching isn't our problem, but veteran pitching like Maddux for a couple of prospects aint a bad idea.

nme
07-22-2008, 06:22 PM
Bring in Mad Dog if for no other reason than that he will be an incredible pitching coach. Sure, he could help us some this season and he will probably come fairly cheap, but his real value will be over the long haul.

gagnefan38
07-22-2008, 06:23 PM
No thanks.

:clap:

Opponents are hitting .311 against him and he's only a 5 inning pitcher. Burns the bully too much.

goDOYERS
07-22-2008, 06:37 PM
maddux adds another dimension to the clubhouse with all his pranks ... he will keep the guys loose...if we can get him for nothing, let's do it!

c2thab
07-22-2008, 06:43 PM
I say do it if the price is LOW!! If he were on board he would be a perfect mentor for Kershaw. Imagine Clayton soaking up Maddux knowledge like a sponge! It would be a win-win!

GHOSTSNIPER
07-22-2008, 07:08 PM
Pull the trigger

GBG2489
07-22-2008, 07:14 PM
How about Matt Cain?

Shawh
07-22-2008, 07:16 PM
No thanks to Maddux, he hasn't been putting up great numbers this year.

At Petco: 2.52 ERA
Away: 6.27 ERA

Pass.

gagnefan38
07-22-2008, 07:17 PM
maddux adds another dimension to the clubhouse with all his pranks ... he will keep the guys loose...if we can get him for nothing, let's do it!

Padres trade him to us for nothing. What fantasy world are you living in?

310Casper
07-22-2008, 07:21 PM
How about Matt Cain?

Now theres a player I'd actually give up Kemp for. :cool:

dan1to
07-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Get Maddux. Even if we have to trade away Lowe to get him playing time. Maddux will help Kershaw big-time and will be the mentor we could use. Look how much he helped Billingsley in such a short amount of time.

Get it done and use Lowe and Loney/LaRoche to get us a bat at 1B. Good for now and the future.

dan1to
07-22-2008, 07:33 PM
get it done Ned. Trade Lowe if you have too to get him playing time and then use Lowe and LaRoche to get us a big bat. Madux will help the pitchers that much, that I would suggest moving Lowe.

BlueMouse
07-22-2008, 07:39 PM
If Maddux wants to be a pitching coach, he will eventually wind up here anyway. I don't know if trading for him now really changes that. But it would still be nice to have the guy sitting on the bench between Bills and Kershaw this season.

BlueMouse
07-22-2008, 07:43 PM
How about Matt Cain?
Are you lost?

Padres trade him to us for nothing. What fantasy world are you living in?

They are out of contention this season, so trading Maddux for anything is a plus for them. He has a no trade clause and has them cornered to one team. He's not likely to be a threat to the Padres, especially after this season. Why wouldn't they trade him for whatever we might give them?

DodgerBlue82
07-22-2008, 07:44 PM
Lowe as our closer? wow, waste of $.

Exactly and who really thinks Lowe will go back to closing in his contract year?

c2thab
07-22-2008, 07:44 PM
No thanks to Maddux, he hasn't been putting up great numbers this year.

At Petco: 2.52 ERA
Away: 6.27 ERA

Pass.

But a 3.09 ERA at Dodger Stadium in 22 career starts

BigDaddyKaine
07-22-2008, 07:46 PM
why would the padres, trade inside the division?

they would never do that.

thats why they just traded with Arizona:confused:

BigDaddyKaine
07-22-2008, 07:47 PM
i would trade for him as long as he would agree to be our pitching coach next year

tide4life
07-22-2008, 09:08 PM
Now theres a player I'd actually give up Kemp for. :cool:

:speechless:

Surely you jest.

LAdiablo
07-22-2008, 10:34 PM
i would welcome maddux back if for nothing else the respect and professionalism he displays and the hope that it would rub off on the club. do it.

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-22-2008, 11:17 PM
I don't see a point, maybe he could mentor our young guys maybe.

TheBatchelor213
07-23-2008, 12:29 AM
if it just costs us a mid to low level prospect we have to do it, Greg has too much experience. If we knew for a fact (which we dont) that Brad and Jason were going to come back healthy, with the addition of Greg, this would let us trade Lowe for a bat which would be awesome.

myspace.com/thebatchelorspe

N.Z's #1 Dodger
07-23-2008, 12:33 AM
if it just costs us a mid to low level prospect we have to do it, Greg has too much experience. If we knew for a fact (which we dont) that Brad and Jason were going to come back healthy, with the addition of Greg, this would let us trade Lowe for a bat which would be awesome.

myspace.com/thebatchelorspe

Can you do me a favor bro? Stop mentioning "Jason" in just about every post? He is, was and will forever be a non-factor in Dodger blue, the guy will NEVER pitch for us again EVER, and after the operation never was . Not *****ing sorry, just concerned about your typing fingers welfare long-term.

TheBatchelor213
07-23-2008, 12:44 AM
I guess you and Jason do not exchange xmas cards. Either way I still feel he can and will be a factor, so do my fingers, hence forth his constant name drop!

N.Z's #1 Dodger
07-23-2008, 12:53 AM
I guess you and Jason do not exchange xmas cards. Either way I still feel he can and will be a factor, so do my fingers, hence forth his constant name drop!

I'll send him a X-Mas card, full with Christmas cheer and anthrax.

I admire your optimism. ;)

TheBatchelor213
07-23-2008, 01:22 AM
I'll send him a X-Mas card, full with Christmas cheer and anthrax.

I admire your optimism. ;)

If my memory serves me correctly, when we signed (drum roll please) Jason, many people actually applauded Ned for the move because of other teams offering (drum roll once more) Jason an additional year on his contract for the same annual amount we were offering but we got him to take the lesser amount of years, and honestly I was one of the ones who applauded. From never meeting the guy, I think he wants to come back and contribute, he seems cool and he has always been a great competitor, plus he is a winner. So yeah, I am optimistic he can play a key role to our success. Unfortunately with the trade deadline looming, trading Lowe is risky not knowing what you are going to get out of Brad and (last drum roll) Jason with the possibility its nothing. One thing we can agree on I am sure is that. . . . if the Dodgers take this thing, we are both happy!

bluedawgalex
07-23-2008, 01:28 AM
i would trade for him just so he can rub off on kershaw.. i remember that as soon as we traded for him penny and bills started pitching even better than they were doing.. imagine what he could do for kershaw!

N.Z's #1 Dodger
07-23-2008, 05:23 AM
If my memory serves me correctly, when we signed (drum roll please) Jason, many people actually applauded Ned for the move because of other teams offering (drum roll once more) Jason an additional year on his contract for the same annual amount we were offering but we got him to take the lesser amount of years, and honestly I was one of the ones who applauded. From never meeting the guy, I think he wants to come back and contribute, he seems cool and he has always been a great competitor, plus he is a winner. So yeah, I am optimistic he can play a key role to our success. Unfortunately with the trade deadline looming, trading Lowe is risky not knowing what you are going to get out of Brad and (last drum roll) Jason with the possibility its nothing. One thing we can agree on I am sure is that. . . . if the Dodgers take this thing, we are both happy!

Went to your myspace page bro, that's some okay sounding **** man. Sure I wouldn't be seen dead having anything to do with hip-hop, but **** that **** is better than 90% I have to put up with some days at work.

dodgerblues
07-23-2008, 06:18 AM
i would trade for him just so he can rub off on kershaw.. i remember that as soon as we traded for him penny and bills started pitching even better than they were doing.. imagine what he could do for kershaw!

I think isn't more of Maddux giving knowledge that worked for Penny and Bills, but that his presence was in the dugout... Meaning, Penny and Bills put on their game face to not disappoint someone like Maddux or have him think otherwise about their abilities. He brings the best out of other pitchers.

But indeed, he will help Kershaw... They have different stuff, but pitching gameplans and situations, Kershaw will improve.

It's tough to say Maddux should be our pitching coach because how much will he ask? And Honeycutt has done a decent job the last two seasons. As a team, we're 5th in MLB and 1st in the NL in pitching with a 3.80 ERA.

dan1to
07-23-2008, 11:40 AM
Maddux would instantly upgrade the rest of the pitching staff. It should be done.

Does anyone besides me remember the photos and comments when the WHOLE pitching staff watched Maddux warm-up for the first time. EVERYONE on the staff... Lowe, Penny, Billingsley, etc all watched his warm-up session to try to learn something. Everyone commented how he never missed the catchers glove.

He would boost production of every pitcher immediately.

TheBatchelor213
07-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Went to your myspace page bro, that's some okay sounding **** man. Sure I wouldn't be seen dead having anything to do with hip-hop, but **** that **** is better than 90% I have to put up with some days at work.

Thx, really appreciate it.

GBG2489
07-23-2008, 03:43 PM
Are you lost?

What are you trying to say?

And I promise I won't make any obnoxious comments.

I just want to know what you guys think of Matt Cain, putting Anti Giant bias aside.

BlueMouse
07-23-2008, 03:46 PM

I just want to know what you guys think of Matt Cain, putting Anti Giant bias aside.

I was saying that I didn't see how the question "What about Matt Cain?" was relevant to this thread. What do you mean? Trading for Cain instead of Maddux? Or just do we think he's any good? Or do we think Colletti will try to sign him when he's a FA in 5 years?

As far as putting anti-gnat bias aside, I don't know if that's possible. Matt Cain sucks :D

GBG2489
07-23-2008, 03:59 PM
All I needed to hear, haha.

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-23-2008, 04:25 PM
MLB.com's Corey Brock has the latest on the Padres and Greg Maddux.

Maddux apparently will only accept a trade to a West Coast team, preferably the Dodgers. Padres GM Kevin Towers doesn't mind trading within the division. The only piece missing is interest from L.A. They've got good pitching depth, but if Maddux could be added at a reasonable price, why not? The Professor has a 4.18 ERA this year.

Don't expect to see younger Padres like Kevin Kouzmanoff, Khalil Greene, or Josh Bard on the move. Towers said a trade of any of those three is "very doubtful."

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/07/maddux-prefers.html

In_Ned_I_Trust
07-23-2008, 04:26 PM

Matt Cain is a stud a solid #2 pitcher in just about any rotation #3 in ours though.

gagnefan38
07-23-2008, 04:43 PM
Maddux would instantly upgrade the rest of the pitching staff. It should be done.

Does anyone besides me remember the photos and comments when the WHOLE pitching staff watched Maddux warm-up for the first time. EVERYONE on the staff... Lowe, Penny, Billingsley, etc all watched his warm-up session to try to learn something. Everyone commented how he never missed the catchers glove.

He would boost production of every pitcher immediately.

It's a hard thing to measure his impact but just looking at the 2 staffs, the Dodgers are 1st and the Pads are 10th in the NL in ERA and they pitch in Petco. He pitched today and now his ERA is 4.17 and he only pitched 5 1/3 with 75 pitches. A minimum of 3 pitchers have to be used for this guy every start, I'd rather have innings eaters.

nme
07-23-2008, 04:48 PM

Well, For the past two seasons I've been waiting for him to fulfill his "potential". The kid looked great early in his career, but something just hasn't seemed to click yet for him. I know it's there, but he hasn't found it yet. Granted, he's a tough luck pitcher (one look at last year's W-L will tell you that). I still think he's going to have a good career, but I'm not as sure as I used to be.