PDA

View Full Version : New scenario for the offseason

BigT901
07-16-2008, 02:16 AM
Now that we have Camby we are set at the PF, but i wopuld still like to get a good player that can really take over the game. So i thought of vince carter. What if we were to trade Mobley, Thomas, Brevin knight, And give them the rest of are money which is like 4 or 5 million that we have for Vince Carter, and Nenad Kristic. I would love to see this happen and it would make us a definit playoff team. Our lineup would be \

PG Baron Davis/ Mike Taylor/ Shaun Livingston
SG Vince Carter/ Eric Gordon
SF Al Thornton/ Q Ross
PF Marcus Camby/ Nenad Kristic
C Chris Kaman/ DeAndre Jordan

That would put us in the championship game next year..

Cracka2HI!
07-16-2008, 02:19 AM
That actually might work T. It would be risky for us, but probably worth doing. The thing I like about the team the way it is, is that we only have 1 player who dominates the ball in Davis. Kaman, Thornton and Gordon should thrive will all the touches they are going to get. VC is kind of like Baron without the passing ability.

BigT901
07-16-2008, 02:22 AM
That actually might work T. It would be risky for us, but probably worth doing. The thing I like about the team the way it is, is that we only have 1 player who dominates the ball in Davis. Kaman, Thornton and Gordon should thrive will all the touches they are going to get. VC is kind of like Baron without the passing ability.

I dont see a risk in it at all, we get rid of 2 OK players and a few bucks, and we will get a superstar, and a good backup PF/C.

dick butane
07-16-2008, 02:27 AM
Because the Nets are retaining Vince Carter to keep the team appealing to Lebron in 2010. They traded Kidd: to dump age for youth in Devin Harris. They traded Jefferson to make the money work. If they dumped Vince they wouldn't be assured of having much of a team for Lebron to join in Brooklin. Vince is in NJ for the long haul back to New York.

Cracka2HI!
07-16-2008, 02:28 AM
^ Its not as much a matter of picking up a SuperStar in Vince Carter. He is not like Ray Allen. He wouldn't be a good 2nd or 3rd option. He doesn't do anything Baron can't do. Allen, Pierce and Garnett are all very different players. I would rather have Gordon in there than Carter and keep our cap space in 2010. Don't get me wrong this is a good idea, but I really like what we have now and I'm not sure we can improve it.

BigT901
07-16-2008, 02:32 AM
Because the Nets are retaining Vince Carter to keep the team appealing to Lebron in 2010. They traded Kidd: to dump age for youth in Devin Harris. They traded Jefferson to make the money work. If they dumped Vince they wouldn't be assured of having much of a team for Lebron to join in Brooklin. Vince is in NJ for the long haul back to New York.

Well i believe by that time all of there young talent like Harris, Lopez, CDR, Sean Williams, Marcus Williams, will already be very good and they wont need him to appeal James. And if they were to do this they be getting rid of a lot of cap space, and getting a few mill in there pockets to spend.

BigT901
07-16-2008, 02:35 AM
^ Its not as much a matter of picking up a SuperStar in Vince Carter. He is not like Ray Allen. He wouldn't be a good 2nd or 3rd option. He doesn't do anything Baron can't do. Allen, Pierce and Garnett are all very different players. I would rather have Gordon in there than Carter and keep our cap space in 2010. Don't get me wrong this is a good idea, but I really like what we have now and I'm not sure we can improve it.

If we were to add Vince Carter we would be in the top 3 in the west. You cannot rely on a rookie to come in on day one and perform like a superstar. Just think we would have the best defensive front court, and maybe the best offensive and athletic backcourt.

Cracka2HI!
07-16-2008, 03:00 AM
^ I just disagree with that. I think Carter could make the team worse. We may not need another Superstar. Baron may have enough around him already. What I would really like to see is us fill out the roster with Matt Barnes, Livingston and Big Sofo.

PF Camby
SF Thornton
C Kaman
SG Gordon
PG Davis

SG Mobley
PF Thomas
SF Barnes
PG Livingston
PF Big Sofo
C Jordan
PG Knight
PF Powell
SF Williams
PG Taylor

clipsedya
07-16-2008, 03:05 AM
I think BigT is right on this one. We would be like the Celtics only better.

Kaman is way > Perkins
Camby + some of our backups are close to Garnett
Thornton and Ross could prove to be close to Pierce
Vince + Gordon = Allen
Davis blows away Rondo

We would have depth way > than the Celtics had, but I do agree with Cracka when he says that we are legit as our lineup stands now with a modest FA signing and Q Ross and maybe even Livingston.

I don't think we need to make any more big moves, but VC would be a sweet deal.

Either way we would be contenders with a chance to be great.

Cracka2HI!
07-16-2008, 03:23 AM
Don't get me wrong I would love to do the deal and get VC. However I have to point out the huge possible downside to getting him. I actually like the makeup of our current team. We have right mix of scoring, defense, shooting, youth and experience! Plus we are set up beautifully for 2010!

clipsedya
07-16-2008, 03:28 AM
^Plus a sub-par year would look like a total breakdown. But then again we would have the lineup for a while. I agree that we look good right now with a few smart signings to round things out.

krazyclipperfan
07-16-2008, 03:35 AM
I like the trade idea but at this point it may not be needed. Adding Carter may hender the growth of Thornton and Gordon. I think Thornton will have a breakout season this year. We need to get a 6th man that could come off the bench and help us big.

BigT901
07-16-2008, 11:19 AM
^ I just disagree with that. I think Carter could make the team worse. We may not need another Superstar. Baron may have enough around him already. What I would really like to see is us fill out the roster with Matt Barnes, Livingston and Big Sofo.

PF Camby
SF Thornton
C Kaman
SG Gordon
PG Davis

SG Mobley
PF Thomas
SF Barnes
PG Livingston
PF Big Sofo
C Jordan
PG Knight
PF Powell
SF Williams
PG Taylor

NO NO NO.Vince Carter would Make the team worse, how often do you ever hear a superstar coming to another team with other stars and makes the team worst. If we were to get Carter there would be no stopping us. And I dont see why we would even think twice about this deal Mobley is older and not worth his contract, The same with Thomas, and Brevin Knight. And also i dont think Big Sofo is coming over, We probably will still sign livingston, And i rather have Q Ross than Barnes/

DES
07-16-2008, 11:22 AM

PF Camby
SF Thornton
C Kaman
SG Gordon
PG Davis

SG Mobley
PF Thomas
SF Barnes
PG Livingston
PF Big Sofo
C Jordan
PG Knight
PF Powell
SF Williams
PG Taylor

i like both ideas..but i like urs better...i think that it would work better. for the long run.

BigT901
07-16-2008, 12:45 PM
I think we should renounce Fazekas, and Marcus Williams because they are not producing in our summer league and getting embarrased by rookies and plus it will free up more cap room to get another free agent.What do you guys think.

Paris Hilton
07-16-2008, 02:00 PM
I agree, and a few more.

BigT901
07-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Fazekas and williams are a waste of a roster spot

adealstimson
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
I love Marcus Williams, he was leading his D-League team in scoring, so he's not that bad I dont think. Maybe he's not ready though..

BigT901
07-16-2008, 02:55 PM
im not sure about how he did in the D-League but he is doing horrible in the summer League.

adealstimson
07-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Carter is declining rapidly..

adealstimson
07-16-2008, 03:02 PM
im not sure about how he did in the D-League but he is doing horrible in the summer League.

OK well summer league doesnt mean anything in case u didnt know..

BigT901
07-16-2008, 03:09 PM
The NBA's free-agent market is drying up quickly, at least as far as marquee players are concerned. Elton Brand (Sixers), Baron Davis (Clippers) and Corey Maggette (Warriors) have changed uniforms. Gilbert Arenas and Antawn Jamison have re-upped with the Wizards.

There are still some quality restricted free agents out there, including Josh Smith, Emeka Okafor, Luol Deng, Andre Iguodala, Monta Ellis and Ben Gordon. However, those players do not control their own fate. Their current clubs can match any offer they might receive.

For most teams looking to add a key player, it's time to start checking out the trade market. Already this offseason we have seen two significant deals: Jermaine O'Neal to Toronto for T.J. Ford, and Marcus Camby to the Clippers. There could be a few more as teams try to either find that missing piece to push them over the top, or try to create more flexibility for a future move (as the Nuggets did in unloading Camby without receiving a player in return).

Here's a look at some big names who could be on the move this summer. In order to keep the field manageable, we won't include those players whose names have been mentioned but who have almost zero chance to be dealt. In other words, we'll leave off Tracy McGrady, Carmelo Anthony and Dwyane Wade. Instead, we'll just go with players who for one reason or another realistically could be available if the right package comes along.

Vince Carter: The Nets already have sent out two of the Big Three, dealing Jason Kidd (Mavericks) and Richard Jefferson (Bucks) over the past five months. Carter could be next as New Jersey goes about clearing cap space for a possible run at LeBron James in two years. Carter, 31, has a huge contract (three more years, $49 million), but he is also a seven-time All-Star who averaged 21.3 points, 6.0 rebounds and 5.1 assists last season.

Shawn Marion: The 30-year-old forward is among the most versatile players in the game and a four-time All-Star. He's also in the final year of a contract that pays him $17.2 million, and is likely going to seek a max-type deal next summer. The Heat might decide to move him now for help at point guard or in the low post rather than risk losing him for nothing. The Lakers and Warriors have been mentioned as possibilities.

Lamar Odom: This year's Finals showed that the Lakers need to get tougher on the interior, and Odom is easier to replace than the 7-foot Pau Gasol. His contract (one more year, $14.6 million) also makes him attractive to other suitors. He could end up back with Pat Riley in Miami, where he spent the 2003-04 season, or up the road in Sacramento.

Ron Artest: The 6-foot-7 swingman is talented, but his volatility has to frighten the rebuilding Kings. It didn't help that Artest recently came out and said he made a mistake by not opting out of his contract that pays him $7.4 million next season. Whether the Kings and Lakers pull the trigger on a long-rumored Odom-for-Artest deal remains to be seen, but Sacramento president Geoff Petrie will surely think about it.

Andrei Kirilenko: Thanks to his strong bounce-back campaign in 2007-08, you don't hear his name mentioned in trade rumors as often as a year ago. But the Jazz can't be too thrilled with the prospect of paying Kirilenko $49 million over the next three years. With Deron Williams due for a contract extension this summer, and Carlos Boozer and Mehmet Okur eligible to become free agents in '09, Utah could use some payroll relief.

Stephon Marbury: His past three seasons in New York have been a huge disappointment, and he clearly does not fit in the team's plans. The Knicks would rather trade him than buy him out of the last year and $21.9 million on his deal, but they don't want to take back any more bad contracts. Still, some team (the Heat?) might be willing to take a chance on a player who once averaged 20 points and eight assists on a regular basis.

Al Harrington: The versatile Warriors forward fell out of favor with coach Don Nelson last season, and became mostly a role player. Golden State could use Harrington to try to get another big man or to acquire a point guard to help replace the departed Baron Davis.

Rasheed Wallace: Pistons boss Joe Dumars has made no secret that he's looking to make major changes. 'Sheed's reputation will scare off some, but he has only one more year ($13.7 million) left on his contract. How about a reunion with Larry Brown in Charlotte?

Michael Redd: The Bucks were expected to dangle Redd this summer as new general manager John Hammond goes about trying to rebuild the team. But after acquiring Richard Jefferson from the Nets, the likelihood went down. Still, if the Bucks do explore a deal, the Cavs have long been interested in getting the former Ohio State star to help take some of the scoring load off LeBron James.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/marty_burns/07/16/trade.market/index.html?eref=T1

Im telling you guys we need to try to get him, Richard Jefferson, and Jason Kidd were traded to clear cap room, why wouldnt they do the same for VC.
And you said he is on the decline cuz he had 1 OK year. he still put up allstar numbers, 21.3 points, 6.0 rebounds and 5.1 assists last season. That is a really good addition if we traded mobley, knight, and thomas for him.

29$JerZ
07-16-2008, 03:11 PM
I think Shawn would be the best fit but only for a year

Camby could draw interest to Miami especially since their Starting C is Mark Blount

BigT901
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
we dont need to trade camby, only knight, mobley, and thomas.

Cracka2HI!
07-16-2008, 03:55 PM
T youre missing the point. I'm not saying VC isn't good, I'm just saying he doesn't fit what we have. If we had a pure distributor at PG like Calderon then sure, but if we add Carter we risk both he and Baron becoming ball hogs and trying to one up each other. Trust me if you proposted this in the NBA forum, most fans would say it would be a bad trade for us.

I want to win right away, but I always have my eye to our next chance to win a championship. Personally I think VC puts us further away from winning a title. We could be as good as 5th in the West this season, I don't think we'd be any higher if we added VC. As the roster is now we have 2 great young wing players who should be better than VC in a year or 2. Plus we are set up great for 2010.

BigT901
07-16-2008, 04:22 PM
T youre missing the point. I'm not saying VC isn't good, I'm just saying he doesn't fit what we have. If we had a pure distributor at PG like Calderon then sure, but if we add Carter we risk both he and Baron becoming ball hogs and trying to one up each other. Trust me if you proposted this in the NBA forum, most fans would say it would be a bad trade for us.

I want to win right away, but I always have my eye to our next chance to win a championship. Personally I think VC puts us further away from winning a title. We could be as good as 5th in the West this season, I don't think we'd be any higher if we added VC. As the roster is now we have 2 great young wing players who should be better than VC in a year or 2. Plus we are set up great for 2010.

Just look at the celtics, they had nothing but offesive talent, but they all agreed that they would do what ever it takes including less touches to win a championship, and why do you think it will mess up out team, mobley and thomas didnt do anything last year anyways. i dont get why you dont like this scenario.

PERFEKT_KNL
07-16-2008, 08:50 PM
Vince Carter defined in one word > overrated

The Marcus Camby for a second round pick was genius. Our starting 5 was cemented with that pick-up. Kaman, Camby, Thornton, Mobley & Davis.

All the Clipp's need are veteran's with Championship experience/rings to fill the bench (ex.'s Michael Finley, Lindsey Hunter, Sam Cassell, etc,.).

Or, hungry veterans without rings (ex.'s Eddie Jones, Theo Ratliff, Antonio Davis, Dale Davis, etc,.).

I prefer players with rings...Eddie House, Jason Williams, etc,.

We'll see, soon enough, what surprises management conjures up for Clipper fans. Till then...

GO CLIPP'S!!!

krazyclipperfan
07-16-2008, 09:28 PM
^^i agree that all we need is some vets to come off the bench and we will be a real good team next year.

andrewexd
07-16-2008, 11:14 PM
1. its not going to happen
2. his salary is crazy, he gets paid 17 million the last yr when hes around 36.
3. why waste our 2010 future by getting vince carter who i dont think is that great anymore.
4. whats the point ? our bench is already water thin and i dont think carter is much better than maggs (in conjunction with his salary).
5. Nets obviously want lebron, if carter left what would be the point of going there ?

krazyclipperfan
07-16-2008, 11:20 PM
There wouldnt be a need for him and it would hurt the team to trade for VC. before all the moves i would have like to see us bring in Carter. we would have to trade Mobely and Thomas to get him and we wouldnt have no one to come off the bench we would need them this year.

dick butane
07-16-2008, 11:35 PM
you can't free up cap space by cutting fazekas and williams. They make nothing. Plus the NBA requires a minimum number of players on your roster so you would have to plug those holes with two guys who also make nothing. Plus these guys do not have anything guaranteed so they can be cut any time. Slow down sparky it's a long race.

krazyclipperfan
07-16-2008, 11:36 PM
they are ok players for what they make.

don'tfireNedCo
07-17-2008, 12:02 AM
vince carter of 5-6 years ago version is a stud. no D and all offense all the time, kinda like Dominique Wilkins. but he is 31 and lost some springs and slower, and if last season thornton poured on VC one on one, then why not just be happy with a young cheap labor who can only get better? HOF credentials alone don't get you a ring, look at barkley and malone, and numerous other superstars who never won. its about having the "right" chemistry, knowing your role and being great at what you know how to do well is the winning ticket. of course, it will take the right coach for the right group of players. I am not all that sure if Baron fits into micromanaging dunleavy's system, but I do know who doesn't, vince carter! he doesn't play D. either not trying or that really is all he's got. for that much $, I'd rather see us getting a series of vets for defensive minded and spot shooting SF/SG and durable and capable, a possible starting PG in case baron is out for a long stretch.

dick butane
07-17-2008, 12:14 AM
Well i believe by that time all of there young talent like Harris, Lopez, CDR, Sean Williams, Marcus Williams, will already be very good and they wont need him to appeal James. And if they were to do this they be getting rid of a lot of cap space, and getting a few mill in there pockets to spend.

Every team has a list of young players they are waiting to develop. Not all of them will and when the few do they will still have to compare with the young roster of the Cavs, Knicks, blazers, raptors, etc. etc.
The list you are posting is nothing if not pedestrian. The day Lebron signs with a new team it must be on a competitive, winning squad with cap space. He is already dragging his own list of unproven losers to the playoffs each year.
If you took a quick look at all the NBA rosters and recognized they all get a couple of draft picks each year, and had the necessary brain capacity.... you might realize that there is nothing special on your list outside of Devin Harris. Harris by the way has been eclipsed by CP3 and D-will with a mess of new young points coming each year. Meaning Devin Harris will never see the inside of an all-star game..... so there is nothing special about your list.:smoking:

clipsedya
07-17-2008, 02:35 AM
I think we need to look at helping Detroit contend for LeBron. They have also been rumored as looking for cap room in 2010 to court LeBron.

I like T. Prince for Tim Thomas. That would help them out and give us a real impact player that would give us versatility at the forward spots. We could play big with Camby at PF or put in Prince and Thornton at the 3, 4 to give us a quicker lineup.

Pistons would then be closer to the salary cap and their goal of scoring LBJ.

dick butane
07-17-2008, 02:51 AM
I think we need to look at helping Detroit contend for LeBron. They have also been rumored as looking for cap room in 2010 to court LeBron.

I like T. Prince for Tim Thomas. That would help them out and give us a real impact player that would give us versatility at the forward spots. We could play big with Camby at PF or put in Prince and Thornton at the 3, 4 to give us a quicker lineup.

Pistons would then be closer to the salary cap and their goal of scoring LBJ.

√ like it too. However if I were the GM in Detroit and didn't want to get laughed at or forced out of my home by an angry mob.... I wouldn't dump T Prince. I would dump older players and keep my young, versatile, talented ones.
Sure we all like cap space but then why doesn't miami give us D-wade for Mobley. They'd free up his pesky salary! How much is Dallas paying Dirk anyway? We could still use a PF and then they would save all that money! Ω

dick butane
07-17-2008, 02:58 AM
hey I'm being too sarcastic. clipsedya I enjoy your posts. The problem with joking online is you can never be sure the person on the other end is reading with the same inflection you are writing in. It's a fun idea... I just don't think doable. Besides I'm a Dick.

andrewexd
07-17-2008, 05:43 AM
Every team has a list of young players they are waiting to develop. Not all of them will and when the few do they will still have to compare with the young roster of the Cavs, Knicks, blazers, raptors, etc. etc.
The list you are posting is nothing if not pedestrian. The day Lebron signs with a new team it must be on a competitive, winning squad with cap space. He is already dragging his own list of unproven losers to the playoffs each year.
If you took a quick look at all the NBA rosters and recognized they all get a couple of draft picks each year, and had the necessary brain capacity.... you might realize that there is nothing special on your list outside of Devin Harris. Harris by the way has been eclipsed by CP3 and D-will with a mess of new young points coming each year. Meaning Devin Harris will never see the inside of an all-star game..... so there is nothing special about your list.:smoking:

thats an oxymoron. Unless your team if completely filled with lottery picks on their rookie conract okay, but how can a good team be good and still have enough cap for lebron ?

andrewexd
07-17-2008, 05:47 AM
williams played well today, 23 pts and 10 rebounds. theres not point of cutting them, theyre making the minimum which we would end up paying to a couple other bench warmers.

dick butane
07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
thats an oxymoron. Unless your team if completely filled with lottery picks on their rookie conract okay, but how can a good team be good and still have enough cap for lebron ?

Think it over a little.

adealstimson
07-17-2008, 01:50 PM
williams played well today, 23 pts and 10 rebounds. theres not point of cutting them, theyre making the minimum which we would end up paying to a couple other bench warmers.

Marcus Williams stays. Called it. Trust me, I saw every collegiate game he ever played.

He also hit 11 of 11 free throws..

krazyclipperfan
07-17-2008, 03:06 PM
i think because of Williams ability to play defense he may replace Ross as the defensive stopper but he wont start.

Cracka2HI!
07-17-2008, 03:21 PM
I'm not sure Williams will be back. We needed him around more if we kept Brand. We needed his small contract. Now I wouldn't be suprised if we add a few more veterans for the league minimum which is actually about twice as much as Williams. Either way he will be our 13th or 14th man on the roster. I see us signing a PF and moving Tim Thomas to SF, I think Williams is a 3rd stringer but a nice guy to have around and has upside.

krazyclipperfan
07-17-2008, 04:54 PM
^^i hope you right it would be great to have some quailty vets on the bench.