PDA

View Full Version : What are the Denver Nuggets trying to accomplish now?

JordansBulls
07-16-2008, 12:26 AM
They went out to trade for Iverson in hopes of trying to appease Melo and in hopes of trying to the NBA Title. However, the duo hasn't had the success that many would have thought.

Now they trade a DPOY guy who gives 9-12 ppg, 9-13 rpg, 2.5+ bpg for a 2nd round pick.

Simply put, what are the Nuggets trying to do now that they traded their anchor on defense?

:shrug:

lamar2006
07-16-2008, 12:29 AM
CAP ROOM. But all the good free agents are gone. Maybe for 2010. Who knows. All I know is that they are not making the playoffs.

Sixerlover
They needed the cap flexibility because they were coming dangerously close to the lux tax I think. And after last year I guess they believed the younger, now healthy Nene could play the C and Camby was expendable. I thought they could of at least got a first for him though.

lorenz00
there maybe rebuilding for melo?

lorenz00
07-16-2008, 12:30 AM
they might also trade iverson for cap space

Beno7500
07-16-2008, 12:30 AM
No playoffs

JordansBulls
07-16-2008, 12:33 AM
The Nuggets should just go ahead and trade Melo and Iverson along with Atkins to the Bulls for Rose, Gordon, Deng and Hughes so that they are not paying the luxury tax and have some flexibility in the future.

Lineup would look like this:

Bulls
Hinrich/Atkins
Iverson/Thabo
Melo/Nocioni
Gooden/Tyrus
Noah/Gray

Nuggets
Rose
Gordon
Deng
Kmart
Nene

superkegger
07-16-2008, 12:40 AM
either they have the inside track on somebody they can use that 10 mil exception on or melo and/or ai are on the move next...

Catfish1314
07-16-2008, 01:28 AM
They are trying to be the worst defensive team in the history of the NBA.

Seriously I can't understand this move. It clears cap room, but Camby didn't cost THAT much. He still would have gotten you 10 plus rebounds and 2 plus blocks for at least the last two years of that contract.

yiformvp
07-16-2008, 01:30 AM
they are not even getting a second round pick lol they have the option to swap their 2nd round picks in 2010 draft

DenButsu
07-16-2008, 02:21 AM
My answer was so long I had to make a blog about it. (http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=246310) :p

TheNewbster
07-16-2008, 06:30 AM
Don't you know? =) The State of Colorado banned defense in basketball games; you give up 120 with a DPoY, now without him..good luck.

Noreaga
07-16-2008, 06:39 AM
The Nuggets should just go ahead and trade Melo and Iverson along with Atkins to the Bulls for Rose, Gordon, Deng and Hughes so that they are not paying the luxury tax and have some flexibility in the future.

Bulls
Hinrich/Atkins
Iverson/Thabo
Melo/Nocioni
Gooden/Tyrus
Noah/Gray

Nuggets
Rose
Gordon
Deng
Kmart
Nene

I DISAGREE WITH THIS 100%....

blackjack_119
07-16-2008, 07:05 AM

His contract is expiring so that doesn't make much sense. They may trade him for a young piece and a smaller expiring... but you don't trade expiring contracts for "cap space." They will already provide the cap space you are looking for... you just don't resign them.

blackjack_119
07-16-2008, 07:06 AM

His contract is expiring so that doesn't make much sense. They may trade him for a young piece and a smaller expiring... but you don't trade expiring contracts for "cap space." They will already provide the cap space you are looking for... you just don't resign them.

paningit
07-16-2008, 07:19 AM
they're trying to clear cap space. next week they'll trade AI and Melo and try to rebuild around kleiza.

JIDsanity
07-16-2008, 07:38 AM
Cap space to sign J.R

RapsFan4Life
07-16-2008, 08:15 AM
for everyone questioning dever, they will do something smart with the money, like sign a good gaurd and let AI play the 2 spot and is everyone forgetting about nene who is a solid center and capable of starting, i think it would have been smarter for them to get ride of Kenyon, however depending on who they sign it could be a good move, but i expect a block buster deal involving Melo or AI, must be done or denver will never make it to the top

Latrell Houston
07-16-2008, 08:17 AM
I pretty sure nobody on their teams happy with this one..lol..

DenButsu
07-16-2008, 08:23 AM
they're trying to clear cap space. next week they'll trade AI and Melo and try to rebuild around kleiza.

You get the award for first post that put a smile on my face about this trade. :cool:

HoopsMachine
07-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Don't you know? =) The State of Colorado banned defense in basketball games; you give up 120 with a DPoY, now without him..good luck.

lol nice point

Mile High Champ
07-16-2008, 08:30 AM
They just wanted to lose the salary, its that simple. Of course the clippers were not going to offer a first rounder as they have been in the lottery I believe more than any other team in history. This trade while giving the nuggets nothing offer cap relief and the chance to start the rebuildiing process without having to take any bad contracts back in return. I know it must sting for nuggets fan but this move is very beneficial for the long term.

Cheers

Tom Stone
07-16-2008, 09:29 AM
close to cap space...they were well over easy....with just 6 contracts they were over by 10 mill.......Anyways, loseing camby is gonna kill them....I really don't like what they nuggets have done.....they only reason they were even in it last year was because they were paying way more than anyone in the nba.....I really hate soft salery cap.....all that means is your if you got the money than youre allowed to cheat...(pathetic)

DenButsu
07-16-2008, 09:34 AM
close to cap space...they were well over easy....with just 6 contracts they were over by 10 mill.......Anyways, loseing camby is gonna kill them....I really don't like what they nuggets have done.....they only reason they were even in it last year was because they were paying way more than anyone in the nba.....I really hate soft salery cap.....all that means is your if you got the money than youre allowed to cheat...(pathetic)

If that's all there were to it, the Knicks would be wearing rings right now.

_Sn1P3r_
07-16-2008, 07:36 PM
They are trying to be the worst defensive team in the history of the NBA.

Seriously I can't understand this move. It clears cap room, but Camby didn't cost THAT much. He still would have gotten you 10 plus rebounds and 2 plus blocks for at least the last two years of that contract.

Lmao. What a goal to try and acomplish. Not to mention, they lost Najera.

TheShock45
07-16-2008, 08:03 PM
by making this deal do they even have cap space
i thought they were giving a 10 million trade exception
you cant even use that in free agency

maybe there using it for ron artest or tracy mcgrady

Spencesc11
07-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Maybe short term it doesn't make sense but was this team really going to win a championship with Camby??? They set themselves up for the next two free agency years and maybe can find a piece to add to Melo and company and get this going in the right direction. Lebron to Denver isn't so far feched if the other suitors don't have a running mate like Melo waiting.

D-Amazins
07-16-2008, 08:26 PM

Bulls
Hinrich/Atkins
Iverson/Thabo
Melo/Nocioni
Gooden/Tyrus
Noah/Gray

Nuggets
Rose
Gordon
Deng
Kmart
Nene

yea looks GREAT for the Bulls, not for the nuggets tho.
K-Mart & Nene are huge injry concerns, gordon is a 6 man, rose is a rookie and Deng had an off year last yr even tho i personally think hes very underrated. Either way, theres no way it would even be good to consider such a lopsided trade.

JordansBulls
07-16-2008, 08:32 PM
yea looks GREAT for the Bulls, not for the nuggets tho.
K-Mart & Nene are huge injry concerns, gordon is a 6 man, rose is a rookie and Deng had an off year last yr even tho i personally think hes very underrated. Either way, theres no way it would even be good to consider such a lopsided trade.

Actually Bulls fans think the opposite. That it is too good for Denver to pass up.

IBleedPurple
07-16-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah let's trade with Chicago.....they've had so much success lately. The Denver Bulls would be worse than the current team.....******** trade anyway

OaklandsFinest
07-16-2008, 09:38 PM
I think you're over valuing Camby's role on the team. I think he's a good solid defender, an ok rebounder. but if you're going to say he's such a difference maker, with his minutes he should be able to grab 15 boards and get 12 a game easy. Especially with as many shots as melo and AI take, theres plenty of boards and tip ins to have. Hopefully if K Mart takes another step toward becomming the K Mart of old, and Nene gives you 15 pts and 10 rebs a game, and JR Smith can come back and contribute more points and mins they'll be good and in the playoffs again.

DenButsu
07-16-2008, 09:51 PM
A lot of people are either forgetting about the luxury tax or confusing the luxury tax with the salary cap.

Ditching Marcus did in fact get Denver under the luxury tax - for the time being. They'll go back over when they re-sign JR Smith and then sign the additional players they need to fill roster spots. But at that point the amount they'll be over the luxury tax will be in the neighborhood of $5 million rather than $15 million, which (since everything is doubled) means the owner, Stan Kroenke, is saving $20 million this season.

In any event, whether or not Camby was cut loose we'd be well over the salary cap, so for now, that's not what this is about. However, next season AI's $20 million contract will expire, and that will actually put Denver under the cap.

So this appears to be a move that basically acknowledges that we had a horrible failure in the playoffs, that we weren't going to win a title with this roster, and that in order to retool the team financial flexibility had to be created.

Which kind of makes it look like they've thrown in the towel on this season.

Which kind of makes me wonder if they don't have plans to go ahead and ship AI out as well and just totally clean house.

They now have a $10 million trade exception they got by giving away Camby, but it would be kind of pointless to use it while we're still in the luxury tax. But whether it's this season or next, once AI is off the books I'm sure they intend to make full use of that.

All of this basically adds up to the Camby trade being the first major move in a partial rebuild. The young core that will be kept is JR-Melo-Nene, and AI and Camby will be gone (and K-Mart will remain for a while because we really don't have much of any choice about that).

Not very surprising overall when you look at the big picture, but I'm still pissed they gave away Camby for NOTHING. They should at least have gotten a pick. That aspect of this deal is just unforgivable.

Spurred1
07-16-2008, 10:13 PM
A lot of people are either forgetting about the luxury tax or confusing the luxury tax with the salary cap.

Ditching Marcus did in fact get Denver under the luxury tax - for the time being. They'll go back over when they re-sign JR Smith and then sign the additional players they need to fill roster spots. But at that point the amount they'll be over the luxury tax will be in the neighborhood of $5 million rather than $15 million, which (since everything is doubled) means the owner, Stan Kroenke, is saving $20 million this season.

In any event, whether or not Camby was cut loose we'd be well over the salary cap, so for now, that's not what this is about. However, next season AI's $20 million contract will expire, and that will actually put Denver under the cap.

So this appears to be a move that basically acknowledges that we had a horrible failure in the playoffs, that we weren't going to win a title with this roster, and that in order to retool the team financial flexibility had to be created.

Which kind of makes it look like they've thrown in the towel on this season.

Which kind of makes me wonder if they don't have plans to go ahead and ship AI out as well and just totally clean house.

They now have a $10 million trade exception they got by giving away Camby, but it would be kind of pointless to use it while we're still in the luxury tax. But whether it's this season or next, once AI is off the books I'm sure they intend to make full use of that.

All of this basically adds up to the Camby trade being the first major move in a partial rebuild. The young core that will be kept is JR-Melo-Nene, and AI and Camby will be gone (and K-Mart will remain for a while because we really don't have much of any choice about that).

Not very surprising overall when you look at the big picture, but I'm still pissed they gave away Camby for NOTHING. They should at least have gotten a pick. That aspect of this deal is just unforgivable.
Lots of reasonable points. But I'm curious, when do you think they might trade A.I.? You don't think this A.I./Carmelo duo should have another year? They've had...what, 2 years?

DenButsu
07-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Lots of reasonable points. But I'm curious, when do you think they might trade A.I.? You don't think this A.I./Carmelo duo should have another year? They've had...what, 2 years?

The only way this duo will work is if Iverson a) starts at point and plays the bulk of his minutes there and b) actually plays like a point - distributing, playmaking, finding shots for his guys, getting the ball to Melo sometimes...

There was a stat that we used to talk about in the Nuggets forum a lot. I think Denver went like 11-12 in that first half season in all the games in which AI got 10 or more assists. I think the grand total now is something like 21-24, or thereabouts. Bottom line: When AI shares the ball, we win. Other bottom line: It doesn't happen very often.

George Karl doesn't help matters at all when he insists on playing AI at the 2 and starting a 3rd tier NBA player at point (Anthony Carter) instead of putting in JR Smith at the shooting guard alongside AI.

And Iverson himself doesn't help matters much when he dominates the ball for 15-20 seconds of every single damn possession, regardless of whether he's at the 1 or 2.

Third bottom line: Both Melo and AI are defensive liabilities, and their potent offensive assault makes up for this effectively enough in the regular season, but not in the postseason when it's nearly impossible to maintain a fast-paced transition game and you just absolutely have to be able to execute in the half court. The Lakers just ripped this reality wide open and exposed it for all the world to see.

I think the experiment is a proven failure now. I don't believe in it anymore.

And AI is gone, it's just a matter of when and how. But it will be no later than the end of next season, and whether he's traded or his contract simply expires is secondary to the simple fact that his huge contract will be off the books and Denver will be building around its younger core.

Dalionking
07-16-2008, 10:53 PM
They went out to trade for Iverson in hopes of trying to appease Melo and in hopes of trying to the NBA Title. However, the duo hasn't had the success that many would have thought.

Now they trade a DPOY guy who gives 9-12 ppg, 9-13 rpg, 2.5+ bpg for a 2nd round pick.

Simply put, what are the Nuggets trying to do now that they traded their anchor on defense?

save 40 million in lux tax